• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Home-style cooking with OnkelC and Friends, Vol.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinSoX

Banned
Hi guys...first time posting our recipe. We did this and took pictures late December and I decided to post pics of them. I, along with 2 other buddies, proudly made this meal.....:)

It's a mixture of Italian and brown food. We used boiled pasta, and cooked 2 pounds of chopped chicken breast, a can of diced pineapples, bottle of salsa, about 3 table spoons of garlic butter and a bunch of other eastern spices. It was my first time eating brown food and I LOVED it. I might ask my friends to have a get together to cook again:)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Hi NinSoX, and welcome to this humble thread. That is an interesting combination of ingredients, especially the pineapple and garlic butter. Thank you for the recipe and keep us updated on your future cooking experiences, please!:lol

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Tonights dish will be a foccaccia bread filled with bacon, cheese, rosemary and tomatoes and orange cream for dessert. As we are expecting guests, pics will be up tomorrow. Stay tuned and keep yours coming!

Peru

OnkelC said:
Hi Peru, any progress on your cooking experiences?:)

I'm at my student apartment living the life of a poor student slob, so none at all. But at least I take my time with the weekend lunches.. and this well-known classic combo never fails.

269271022_5c6e8642fb_o.png

A fine bread (in this case called italian something-something), fresh mozarella, tomatoes, basil, and some kind of ham (in this case some version with olive and feta cheese).

The result is tastier than something this easy should be. Even a student can make it.

269271024_364546ad1f_o.png

Mallika

OnkelC, thanks for both this thread and the original one. I love all the cooking recipes ... I'll have to try them one day. The photos are great, by the way.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Peru, that's a worthy start to cooking! I appreciate that you used genuine buffalo milk mozzarella. Keep it up! :lol

Mallika said:
OnkelC, thanks for both this thread and the original one. I love all the cooking recipes ... I'll have to try them one day. The photos are great, by the way.
Thank you for the feedback and welcome to this thread. The pics are the best i can pull off in the small kitchen of mine.

If anybody knows a decent point and shoot with little shutter lag that works well in bad lightning conditions, please let me know.

ChryZ

Peru said:
The result is tastier than something this easy should be.
May I suggest to add some thinly sliced red onion rings, freshly ground black pepper, freshly ground kosher salt, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

It will be the closest you'll get to heaven!

Tabris

I just wanted to say these threads are VERY cool.

If I made anything worthy of this thread lately I would post it, but the only thing I've done that required more than 20 minutes to cook was some BBQ marinated sirloin steaks with roasted cajun potatoes. Anyone could do that.

I'll try something worthy in the next week to post!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Tabris said:
I just wanted to say these threads are VERY cool.

If I made anything worthy of this thread lately I would post it, but the only thing I've done that required more than 20 minutes to cook was some BBQ marinated sirloin steaks with roasted cajun potatoes. Anyone could do that.

I'll try something worthy in the next week to post!
Hi Tabris, welcome and thanks for the kudos. Just to clarify it again, there are no "unworthy" dishes. I personally appreciate some fast to prepare dishes for the weekdays. So tell us what you got and post some stuff already!:lol

Stay tuned and keep'em coming!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So, let's cook.

We had a three-course dinner with guests yesterday, so the dishes were a bit nicer than on weekdays. We had a lambs lettuce salad with shaved parmesan and tomatoes as a starter, the main course was a foccaccia filled with various cheeses and bacon, and some orange cream for dessert.

First, think about the table decoration. Since autumn has kicked in, the wife chose some leaves from the garden and some Halloweenish gummi stuff:
smallCIMG2310.jpg

smallCIMG2423-1.jpg

The wife prepared the dessert while I was away, so no pics of the preparation. Ingredients are (sample finished stuff at the bottom):
smallCIMG2320.jpg

300 millilitres (1.2 cups) fresh squeezed orange juice
one pack of vanilla pudding powder (Is this known in the US?)
60 grams (1/2 cup) of sugar,
powdered sugar for the finishing,
250 grams (1 can) of double cream.

Preparation is simple: prepare the pudding according to the package instructions but with the orange juice instead of the advised milk, whip the cream and carefully mix it under the pudding mass. Spread the mass to some dessert bowls and sprinkle it with some powdered sugar. The optimal preparation would have been to place the dessert directly under a grill for a few minutes, so the sugar would caramelize. Unfortunately, we don't own an oven with that feature, so we tried it out in the normal oven, but to no avail. For a perfect finish, you could caramelize the sugar with a small torch, too.

Put the stuff in the fridge until serving.

Next was the preparation of the foccaccia itself. The ingredients for four persons are:
smallCIMG2324.jpg

For the dough:
600 grams (1lb 6oz) of strong rising flour,
one cube of yeast,
some handwarm water,
one to two teaspoons of sugar to activate the yeast,
one to two teaspoons of salt,

For the filling/topping:
roughly 500 grams (1.5lb) of various cheeses (I used a ball of mozzarella, a stick of young gouda, a thick slice of Austrian mountain cheese and a small piece of parmesan),
8 bacon strips,
two handful of small tomatoes (I used miniature roma tomatoes),
some rosemary,
salt, pepper and olive oil (not pictured).

No special utensils are needed, but the following are advised:
A mixer with dough hooks (the dough can of course be kneaded by hand, but I find the result better with a mixer):
smallCIMG2331.jpg

and a sieve for the flour (can also be done with a hairnet sieve):
smallCIMG2333.jpg

First, activate the yeast by putting it in a glass of handwarm water and adding the sugar:
smallCIMG2325.jpg

smallCIMG2326.jpg

Break the cube up in the glass and stir occasionally:
smallCIMG2328.jpg

The yeast is ready to use when the liquid starts to fizz lightly. This should take about 5 minutes.

In the meanwhile, sieve the flour in a mixing bowl and add the salt:
smallCIMG2321.jpg

smallCIMG2329.jpg

Pour the yeast over the flour and start kneading. Add some more handwarm water until the dough gets a smooth but still solid texture:
smallCIMG2338.jpg

smallCIMG2342.jpg

The dough is fine when it starts to come off the walls of the mixing bowl like pictured above. Cover the bowl with a towel and let it rest at a warm place for about 30 minutes:
smallCIMG2343.jpg

After 30 minutes, knead the dough again for a few moments and let it rest with the towel on for another 20-30 minutes:
smallCIMG2354.jpg

smallCIMG2355.jpg

In the meantime, cube the mozzarella and grate the other cheeses. Put them in a bowl and mix them a bit:
smallCIMG2348.jpg

Heat a pan without oil and fry the bacon strips until they are dark brown. When the strips are finishes, put them aside and let them cool down in the pan:
smallCIMG2351.jpg

smallCIMG2352.jpg

Pre-heat the oven to maximum temperature.

After the second rising of the dough, put it on a table sprinkled with flour, knead it a bit and then spread it to a square shape. Do not forget to cover your hands with flour, too, to prevent sticking:
smallCIMG2361.jpg

smallCIMG2364.jpg

smallCIMG2365.jpg

smallCIMG2366.jpg

When you have achieved a nice dough square (about one inch thick), spread half of the cheese and the bacon on the center of the dough. Finish with the rest of the ceese. Make sure that the borders of the dough stay empty (about one to two inches):
smallCIMG2371.jpg

smallCIMG2377.jpg

smallCIMG2379.jpg

Now wrap the dough carefully around the filling. This is done best by folding up the adjacent sides one after another:
smallCIMG2383.jpg

smallCIMG2384.jpg

smallCIMG2385.jpg

The result should look like a massive loaf of bread with the seams on top:
smallCIMG2387.jpg

Carefully turn over the loaf and place it in an oven pan so that the loaf is now lying on the seams:
smallCIMG2393.jpg

Cut the tomatoes roughly, place them on top of the loaf, add the rosemary leaves, put some salt and pepper on the loaf and finish off with some olive oil:
smallCIMG2400.jpg

smallCIMG2405.jpg

smallCIMG2409.jpg

smallCIMG2411.jpg

smallCIMG2417.jpg

Finish Line:
Place the foccacia on the bottom of the hot oven and let it bake for 20-30 minutes:
smallCIMG2422.jpg

Immediately before serving, prepare the salad with a dressing from white balsamico, olive oil, cubed red onions, salt, pepper and a teaspoon of honey (described in Vol.1).

DONE!
smallCIMG2426.jpg

(minor leakage is an indicator that the inside is ready:D )
Serve the starter salad:
smallCIMG2425.jpg

Followed by the foccaccia, served as a whole in the pan and cut open on the table:
smallCIMG2428.jpg

smallCIMG2430.jpg

smallCIMG2432.jpg

And the dessert (turned out as suboptimal, i booked it under "beta version" for future improvement) as a finisher:
smallCIMG2434.jpg

Guten Appetit! from Bonn.

Tonights dish will be some red wine pasta with a cream and cheese sauce.
Feedback, opinions and contributions are, as always, heartily encouraged.

Keep'em coming!:lol

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So, let's cook.
As yesterdays dish was quite hefty, I made some lighter stuff today. We got some Barolo-flavored Pasta as a present; as I had no clue what to make from them or how they taste, I prepared them with the most basic and easy sauce: "Aglio e Olio".
Aglio e Olio simply consists of garlic cloves that are fried in olive oil with a little bit of salt. As simple as it sounds, this "sauce" sports a real good taste and is a fine company to every high-quality pasta. It is prepared in no time, too.

The ingredients for tonights dish are:
smallCIMG2437.jpg

Pasta,
Olive oil,
One garlic clove,
some salt,
parmesan as a topping.

Heat a big pot filled with salted water on the stove. When the water is boiling, crush the garlic clove with the palm of your hand and heat heat it in a pan with some olive oil:
smallCIMG2440.jpg

smallCIMG2441.jpg

smallCIMG2444.jpg

When the pasta is al dente, pour them and add them to the pan, stir them lightly:
smallCIMG2445.jpg

smallCIMG2446.jpg

DONE!
Serve with some grated parmesan:
smallCIMG2447.jpg

The Barolo noodles itself were sub-par, btw.

Enjoy! from Bonn. Keep yours coming.

Peru

The focaccia thing looks heavenly. I mean, it's an obvious recipe for success, lots of tasty ingredients, but not necessarily something you come up with on a whim when you're shopping for dinner. Will do sometime.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Hah, that sauce finally is something even I can do!

Would the foccacio work with ham instead of bacon?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Peru said:
The focaccia thing looks heavenly. I mean, it's an obvious recipe for success, lots of tasty ingredients, but not necessarily something you come up with on a whim when you're shopping for dinner. Will do sometime.

elostyle said:
Hah, that sauce finally is something even I can do!

Would the foccacio work with ham instead of bacon?

Thanks to the both of you for the comments! Feedback like this is what keeps me and the other contributors going.

The foccaccia would work out with ham, too. In that case, I would go for some raw/smoked ham to get an intensive taste. The recipe itself is very versatile, you can try out any kind of filling. Every ingredient with a strong taste makes for a good filling, just think of olives, sundried tomatoes, beef/chicken strips and so on. The dough itself can be "enhanced", too, just experiment around. Roasted pine seeds or any dried vegetable would make a good addition for the dough, just mix it in when first mixing the dough.

If you cut short on the salt in the dough, you could also make a filling from sweet ingredients (chocolate or nougat and eg. bananas).

Tonights dish will be another German classic, the "Bratkartoffeln" (panfried potato slices with onions and bacon) with some pickled veggies as a side dish.

bovo

This is something that appeared before in this thread, but I figured it was done differently enough to make it worthwhile me putting up the preparation pictures, and not just the completed picture.

The difference, as always with what I've cooked, is that it has been turned vegetarian (for the benefit of others, not myself...)

The result, guaranteed to make the inhabitants of Vienna run screaming from the thread, is a Tofu Schnitzel (and to appease said inhabitants, it's served with potato salad).

Anyway, onto ingredients: Tofu, dry bread (for breadcrumbs), egg and flour for schnitzel - potatoes, spring onions, and to cheat, ready made french dressing and mayonnaise for the potato salad.

tsps1.jpg

The potatoes are boiled as usual (not pictured) - meanwhile, I've turned the dry bread roll into breadcrumbs using a handblender (with optional chopping blade).

tsps2.jpg

Again, this has been seen before, but I took pictures so you have to look at them!

On three dishes put flour, beaten egg and the breadcrumbs. Also seen is the tofu sliced into thin .... slices. (Don't try the traditional schnitzel method of beating with a tenderiser :lol )

tsps3.jpg

When you're ready, dip the slices of tofu into each dish in turn, and the result will be as seen below.

tsps4.jpg

When your potatoes are cooked...

tsps5.jpg

Peel and chop them. I cheated with the dressing, and combined ready made french dressing with mayonnaise. The spring onions are chopped and stirred in.

tsps6.jpg

Mix the potato salad ingredients together while still warm.

tsps7.jpg

Melt some butter in a pan - if you add a a bit of vegetable oil, it helps stop the butter from burning, and fry the schnitzel.

tsps8.jpg

When done, serve with the potato salad, green salad, and some lemon wedges.

tsps9.jpg

I had never made a Tofu Schnitzel before, and can report that it actually worked quite well. For a vegetarian who had never had Wiener Schnitzel, I was informed it was tasty.

However, given the choice, I personally would go for pork schnitzel (wiener style) every time!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
bovo, thank you for the wiener tofu:lol The potato salad looks extremely tasty. It is hard to transcript meat recipes for vegetarians, so I welcome this contribution. Some good friends of us are vegetarians, too, and they wanted to do a BBQ with us. They brought some tofu sausages which were, well, I stuck to the Thuringian sausages.:D

So, let's cook.
The term "Bratkartoffeln" (Panfried potatoes) is, like most potato dishes over here, only a collective term for a multitude of preparations. Possible variations are made from cooked or raw potatoes, fried plain or with onions and/or bacon and so on. The lowes common denominator is that the potatoes should be cut in medium to thick slices and be pan fried.

Each and every household has its own means of preparation for this "Queen of bachelor dishes" and it is considered unmanly if the male German is incapable of preparing this. :lol

I chose a preparation with bacon strips and onions. As the side dish, I served some grilled and pickled red peppers.

The ingredients for two persons are:
smallCIMG2451.jpg

1 to 2lb of yesterdays cooked potatoes,
1/4lb of breakfast bacon strips,
1 medium sized onion (I used a red one, but every color is OK),
salt, pepper and margarine for the frying.

Preparation is simple, but requires some tme and attention. A traditional saying over here is "Bratkartoffeln sind kein Schnellgericht!" (panfried potatoes aren't fast food!).

First, slice/cube the potatoes, onion and bacon. The potatoes should be cut in nice, big forkable chunks while the onion and bacon should be cut rather fine:
smallCIMG2453.jpg

Next, heat a pan and melt a decent amount of margarine in it. Heat the pan to only half to 2/3 of max heat. The potatoes should fry at low to medium temperature which gives them a much finer texture and taste than frying them at max temperature. Apart from that, it will keep the onions from burning.
smallCIMG2455.jpg

smallCIMG2454.jpg

When the margarine starts bubbling, the temperature is just right. Add the bacon strips and fry them for a few moments until they start to take some color:
smallCIMG2457.jpg

smallCIMG2458.jpg

Then add the onions and stir fry them until they turn glassy (should:
smallCIMG2460.jpg

Now add the potatoes and add a decent amount of salt and pepper:
smallCIMG2461.jpg

smallCIMG2463.jpg

Now comes the tricky part: PATIENCE and CARESSING!:lol
the potatoes should now fry for at least 15 minutes at medium heat (patience). They should be carefully turned over every two minutes to chieve optimum taste sensation. Be really careful with the turning as a violent stirring would equal raping this fine dish (caressing):
smallCIMG2464.jpg

Finish Line:
smallCIMG2467.jpg

DONE!
Bratkartoffeln can be served as a side dish to Schnitzels or fried sausages, but they make a good main course too. You can add a few tomatoes and scrambled eggs to the pan before serving to enhance them to the famous "Bauernfrühstück" (farmers breakfast), which is a decent workday dinner. Fried eggs are a worthy companion, too.
As stated, I served them with pickled peppers and a hint of cream cheese as a last-minute addition:
smallCIMG2471.jpg

As a drink, I had a lemon buttermilk:
smallCIMG2470.jpg

Guten Appetit! from Bonn.

Feedback, comments and contributions are always appreciated. Keep'em coming!:lol

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Any dinner suggestions for tonight? I would make some beef and guarcamole tortillas, but the avocados could use another day of ripening. I'm open for suggestions.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
three words for tonights dish: macaroni and cheese.:lol
Is it no-cooking-week for the rest of the GAF?

OnkelC said:
three words for tonights dish: macaroni and cheese.:lol
Yum. I love mac and cheese.

I cooked last night (fish in a packet in the oven), but I was in a hurry and didn't have time for photos. Unfortunately, I think the rest of this week I'm cooking things that people already posted here. :D

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Cornballer said:
Yum. I love mac and cheese.

I cooked last night (fish in a packet in the oven), but I was in a hurry and didn't have time for photos. Unfortunately, I think the rest of this week I'm cooking things that people already posted here. :D
It would be nice to see how the posted dishes turn out when cooked by others, so don't be shy and show your results!:lol :lol :lol

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
I need to make an "elostyle throws random stuff without any clue into a frying pan" entry in here eventually.

OnkelC said:
Any dinner suggestions for tonight? I would make some beef and guarcamole tortillas, but the avocados could use another day of ripening. I'm open for suggestions.
What's a decent tortilla brand that can actually be bought in germany? I'm also looking for some non garbage tortilla chips. You know, large and just salted. You can only get tiny stale ones covered in all sorts of stupid spices :(
I do cook but have no idea what I'm doing most of the time. I'd be embarassed what kind of unfitting stuff I throw together.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
elostyle said:
I need to make an "elostyle throws random stuff without any clue into a frying pan" entry in here eventually.

I do cook but have no idea what I'm doing most of the time. I'd be embarassed what kind of unfitting stuff I throw together.

Aaaw, c'mon, cooking by the book is just throwing stuff together that somebody else threw together by random first.:lol
Courage! It would be nice to see the outcome of your efforts. this goes to all the (Yet) silent readers out there.

What's a decent tortilla brand that can actually be bought in germany? I'm also looking for some non garbage tortilla chips. You know, large and just salted. You can only get tiny stale ones covered in all sorts of stupid spices :(
I know of none, sorry. Consider this humble country the totillaa chip wasteland, the stuff usually available are toned-down domestic brands suited for the potato-chip-spoiled German tongue:lol :lol .

With a bit of luck, you can buy Lays or Walkers brand tortilla chips at the bigger supermarket chains.

Pics are uploading, please stand by.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So, let's cook.
Tha macaroni and cheese recipe I used tonight was inspired by fellow GAFfer bovo. Plain and simple, this is one fine recipe which is fast to prepare and makes a warm tummy on a coldish autumn day.
The ingredients are:
smallCIMG2476.jpg

1lb of pasta,
2tb butter,
2tb of flour,
1/2lb cheese, grated,
1tb soft cheese,
milk and 1 tablespoon of mustard.

No special utensils are needed.

The preparation can be timed after the noodles. First put a large pot with salted water on the stove and heat it.
smallCIMG2478.jpg

While the water is heating, grate the cheese (I used Gouda):
smallCIMG2480.jpg

When the water is boiling, add the pasta. Heat a medium sized pot and melt the butter in it:
smallCIMG2481.jpg

smallCIMG2482.jpg

Add the flour and stir with an eggwhip until the mass gets golden brown:
smallCIMG2483.jpg

smallCIMG2484.jpg

smallCIMG2485.jpg

Add the milk, stir it in, thena add the cheeses. Keep on stirring until the cheese blended with the sauce:
smallCIMG2486.jpg

smallCIMG2488.jpg

smallCIMG2490.jpg

next, add the mustard, salt and pepper. I used some Dijon mustard this time:
smallCIMG2487.jpg

smallCIMG2491.jpg

smallCIMG2492.jpg

Finish Line:
The pasta should be done by now. Pour them in a colander, then add them to the sauce and mix them carefully:
smallCIMG2494.jpg

DONE!
Serve with some additional black pepper for decoration:
smallCIMG2496.jpg

Enjoy! from Bonn.

Keep your stuff coming. Don't be shy.

bovo

Glad you still like the recipe! (although I would like to point out that I made Macaroni Cheese - Macaroni and Cheese is what they make on the other side of the Atlantic :) ) (although it's the same thing of course...)

OnkelC said:
bovo, thank you for the wiener tofu The potato salad looks extremely tasty. It is hard to transcript meat recipes for vegetarians, so I welcome this contribution.
A word of warning for anyone trying to repeat this - I don't know much about tofu, but I had two kinds - the best one for the schnitzel was much firmer - the other one was a bit soft... (neither of them were the runny tofu you get for desserts, which definately would not be suitable :lol )

Last night, the woman and I made a nice soup.

Ingredients:

Campbell's Tomato Soup
Butter (Real butter, not margarine)
Sour Cream
Bread
Garlic Powder

Get the Tomato Soup (24 oz) and get it to boil. Add a TBSP of butter. Add two TBSP of Sour Cream (or to your liking). Stir until the sour cream and butter melt and the soup is hot.

In the meantime, get your bread, spread butter on it and sprinkle garlic butter on it. Toast in the oven.

Simple, but good. I know it's nothing compared to what you guys have done, but I wanted to contribute for a quick and good meal.

Peru

I'm always interested in veggie recipes, just out of interest, not out of need. There's this great veggie 'fast-food' restaurant here which makes the most heavenly veggie burgers. Seriously better than almost any regular hamburgers. I wish I knew their recipes.
Nice going on the tofu wienerschnitzels.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
AlanHemberger said:
Last night, the woman and I made a nice soup.

Ingredients:

Campbell's Tomato Soup
Butter (Real butter, not margarine)
Sour Cream
Bread
Garlic Powder

Get the Tomato Soup (24 oz) and get it to boil. Add a TBSP of butter. Add two TBSP of Sour Cream (or to your liking). Stir until the sour cream and butter melt and the soup is hot.

In the meantime, get your bread, spread butter on it and sprinkle garlic butter on it. Toast in the oven.

Simple, but good. I know it's nothing compared to what you guys have done, but I wanted to contribute for a quick and good meal.

Thats a nice improvement for the canned soup, I welcome that.
Pro Tip: one to two tablespoons of dry Sherry are a good way to get rid of the "canned" taste of most canned foods, too.

Peru: what did the fast food joint make the burger patties from? was it tofu, or did they use some kind of grains/cereals for it?

Any input on "sexing up" convenience food will be appreciated, so keep it coming! Same goes for general preparation questions and the like.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Tonights Dish are beef and salad tortillas with guarcamole. These are the ingredients:
smallCIMG2497.jpg

Tortillas,
1/2lb ground beef,
2 ripe avocados,
4 tomatoes,
1/2 lemon,
1 onion,
lettuce leaves,
tabasco,
grated cheese,
1 garlic clove, concentrated tomato puree, salt and pepper (not pictured).

Cooking starts in about an hour. Stay tuned.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So, let's cook.
This tortilla incarnation is my second attempt at a decent tortilla. I made the beef a bit juicier and perpared a guarcamole alongside it.

First prepare the Guarcamole. Cut the fruits in half, remove the core and scrape them out with a spoon:
smallCIMG2501.jpg

smallCIMG2502.jpg

smallCIMG2503.jpg

Add the juice of half a lemon to the mass. To get the most from the lemon, roll the lemon under your palm for a few moments before cutting it in half:
smallCIMG2500.jpg

smallCIMG2509.jpg

Add some salt, pepper and the desired amount of tabasco, then mash away with a fork until you get the desired smoothness. I tried out catfishs' tip with the avocado core on top of the guarcamole, lets see if it works out:
smallCIMG2510.jpg

smallCIMG2511.jpg

smallCIMG2512.jpg

smallCIMG2513.jpg

smallCIMG2514.jpg

For the beef, heat a pot on the stove. While thhe pot heats up, slice the garlic clove and cube the onion:
smallCIMG2515.jpg

smallCIMG2516.jpg

smallCIMG2518.jpg

When the pot is heated, add some oil and the ground beef. Let the meat take some color, then add the garlic and onions until they get glassy. Spice with salt, pepper and tabasco, then add some tomato puree and 1/2 cup of water:
smallCIMG2519.jpg

smallCIMG2520.jpg

smallCIMG2521.jpg

smallCIMG2523.jpg

smallCIMG2524.jpg

Let it simmer on low heat until serving.

Finish Line:
Wash the lettuce, pluck some nice leaves and dry them on a kitchen towel:
smallCIMG2499.jpg

Cut the tomatoes in half, remove the cores and slice them:
smallCIMG2525.jpg

smallCIMG2526.jpg

Nearly done:
Roast the tortillas in a hot pan without oil and serve while hot:
smallCIMG2527.jpg

DONE!
Mix away as you like:
smallCIMG2528.jpg

smallCIMG2529.jpg

smallCIMG2530.jpg

smallCIMG2531.jpg

smallCIMG2533.jpg

aaaand:

smallCIMG2534.jpg

Enjoy! from Bonn.

Comments, contributions, feedback and critics are always appreciated. Please give your thoughts on the posted stuffs, we all appreciate it.
Keep'em coming!:lol

Holy shit, that looks delicious ^^^. I'm going to post tonight about a perfect burrito and then tomorrow I will be making chicken alfredo and i'll post about that.

OnkelC said:
Any input on "sexing up" convenience food will be appreciated, so keep it coming! Same goes for general preparation questions and the like.
I have a nice recipe for the poor college students that makes old ramen noodles tolerable again. It might sound disgusting, but please give it a shot.

Igredients:
Ramen Noodles of your choice
Chile Oil
Tony Chachere Creole Spice
Pace Picante Sauce

Boil the Ramen noodles as regular. Whenever they're falling apart and become soft (you don't want them completely done yet), drain them.

In another skillet or wok (I prefer the wok), coat the pan with the chile oil. Bring to medium heat and throw the noodles plus a few teaspoons of water. stir it around and let it finish cooking for about 2 or 3 minutes when the noodles will be completely soft.

Throw in a bowl and add the flavoring from the packets and 2 teaspoons of pace picante sauce. Trust me, the picante sauce makes it delicious. Stir it like regular and enjoy!

Trust me, it will make you appreciate ramen noodles again.

Join me next time for my cheap recipes for college students.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Alan, thank you for the input. :lol

Everybody else: give yours-I can't believe you just cook your stuff after the packaging.

Tabris

My grandmother came over from Austria, so I had a lot of Snietzil (sp?) growing up.

Have you done a traditional Snietzil meal yet? If not, I would be very interested in seeing that!

ChryZ

Hey OnkelChef, I noticed a pattern here. Your last dishes were all pretty high in fat and carbs: focaccia, macaroni and cheese, bratkartoffeln, barolo-flavored pasta. I was wondering, are you taking nutritional value into consideration when you are planning a meal? I usually try to work towards a good ratio of high protein, some carbs and low fat. It's not working out all the time (especially for yummy comfort food), but hey ;)

Some feedback regarding the tortillas: they look awesome, but the seasoning of the meat ... how about some cumin, chile powder and oregano? Why lemon and not lime for the guacamole? You might wanna read up on refried beans. Gound meat might be tricky to eat in that soft taco approach of yours, folding them up into burritos is neat too.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
ChryZ said:
Hey OnkelChef, I noticed a pattern here. Your last dishes were all pretty high in fat and carbs: focaccia, macaroni and cheese, bratkartoffeln, barolo-flavored pasta. I was wondering, are you taking nutritional value into consideration when you are planning a meal? I usually try to work towards a good ratio of high protein, some carbs and low fat. It's not working out all the time (especially for yummy comfort food), but hey ;)
Hi ChryZ, thanks for the feedback.
Since the stuff I post here is the only solid food I have over the course of the day, I do mostly care about the soul food aspects of the respective dishes.:D
I was able to maintain my weight (and the wifes weight, too, for that matter) over the past years; it is more a question not to over-feed oneself and less a question of the stuff you eat.

Even the cauliflower polish style that I will prepare as tonights dish contains butter. Otherwise, it is a slim and slender dish.

Since most of the oil and fat I use is pure, "open" (as in contrary to hidden) and of fine quality, I am not overly scared by possible negative effects of them.

Some feedback regarding the tortillas: they look awesome, but the seasoning of the meat ... how about some cumin, chile powder and oregano? Why lemon and not lime for the guacamole? You might wanna read up on refried beans. Gound meat might be tricky to eat in that soft taco approach of yours, folding them up into burritos is neat too.

Yeah, you are right, but I had the following difficulties doing so. First of all, the limes that were on display/sale yesterday looked like crap, so I went for a decent lemon instead. Since I do not cook only for me, but also and foremost for my wife, I have to take her likes and dislikes concerning certain ingredients into consideration. Refried beans and Oregano are on the big "NO-NO" list of stuff, so I try to abstain from them if possible. I like the Tabasco taste on the meat, so it was my selection over chile and cumin.

bovo

A rare weekday entry from me. Normally only get round to cooking something not out of a packet at the weekend...

Anyway, I present a Spicy Lentil Soup.

Ingredients: red lentils, carrot, leek, celery, half an onion left over from something else, parsley, cumin, butter and vegetable stock (from cubes not fresh...)

sls1xn6.jpg

Chop leeks, onion and celery, and fry in some butter.

sls2jz7.jpg

Prepare rest of ingredients: wash and drain lentils, chop carrot and parsley (prepare your stock, if it isn't fresh!)

sls3zg6.jpg

After onions/leeks etc have cooked a bit, add lentils, carrot, parsley, cumin, and about 1litre of stock to the pan, and simmer for about 30 minutes.

sls4ri2.jpg

When its done, use a handblender to... blend it.

sls5sf0.jpg

Served with some bread (buttered side hidden to maintain image of healthy food!)

sls6ne2.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
bovo, that looks mighty fine. Now I know where the term "hidden fats" really comes from!:lol :lol :lol
as the autmumn arrives with cold and dark days, a nice soup can be the true soul food.

Thank you for this fine contribution.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So, let's cook.
Tonights dish is the classic "Cauliflower Polish style". In kitchen terms, "polish style" means that a dish, usually a vegetable, is served with a crust of breadcrums that were roasted with some butter. It's tasty with broccoli, beans, cabbage and even with pasta. It is a quick but very tasty preparation, suited for a side dish as well as the main course.

These are the ingredients for two persons:
smallCIMG2539.jpg

One medium-sized cauliflower,
potatoes according to appetite,
one old bread roll (must be really hard and dry for best results),
some butter and some salt.

First, remove the outer leaves of the cauliflower until you can see the trunk:
smallCIMG2540.jpg

smallCIMG2541.jpg

Next, cut down the trunk and remove the inner part in a conic shape (this will help the even cooking):
smallCIMG2542.jpg

smallCIMG2543.jpg

TO BE OR NOT TO BE!:lol
smallCIMG2544.jpg

Next, peel the potatoes and put them in salted water. Do not start to cook them yet:
smallCIMG2545.jpg

Clean the cauliflower under flowing water, place it in a large pot, add some salt and cold water:
smallCIMG2546.jpg

smallCIMG2547.jpg

smallCIMG2548.jpg

Place it on the stove and put a lid on it. Heat it to max. When the water in the cauliflower pot is boiling, turn on the heat for the potatoes:
smallCIMG2549.jpg

smallCIMG2550.jpg

smallCIMG2551.jpg

While the veggies are cooking, prepare the breadcrumbs. This is done easiest in a blender or with a grater. As always, when using a grater, LOOK OUT for them knuckles:D :
smallCIMG2552.jpg

smallCIMG2553.jpg

Finish Line:
When the potatoes are cooked, remove them from the stove, pour the water and let them steam dry in the still hot pot. Put another small pot on the flame, add some butter and add the breadcrumbs. Brown them a bit while constantly stirring:
smallCIMG2554.jpg

smallCIMG2555.jpg

smallCIMG2556.jpg

DONE!
Take the cauliflower out of the water, let it drain a bit, put it on a plate, decorate with the potatoes and put the breaadcrumbs on top. Serve like this:
smallCIMG2559.jpg

The cauliflower should be so tender that every guest can cut his/her share with a spoon and fork from it.

Enjoy! from Bonn. Feedback, comments, criticism and of course your dishes are sooo welcome. Keep'em coming!:lol

Damn I'm going to have to get a camera. And for the lentil soup above try out some leaks instead of celery. i've always found that to add a bit more flavor.

bovo

Billy Rygar said:
Damn I'm going to have to get a camera. And for the lentil soup above try out some leaks instead of celery. i've always found that to add a bit more flavor.

There actually is a leek in there - it's a bit hard to see in the ingredients picture though as it's hidden behind the lentils :)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
No dish from me tonight, as it is restaurant friday for us again. Since there are only a few posts left until we reach the next page, feel free to post some random stuff in here.
sammich.jpg

C'mon, you can do it!

ChryZ

Some youtube cooking fun!

Pasta Sauces Basil Pesto / Marinara / Fettucine Alfredo PT 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u01ntObqlIY

Pasta Sauces Basil Pesto / Marinara / Fettucine Alfredo PT 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s621FRL_j0

Pasta Sauces Basil Pesto / Marinara / Fettucine Alfredo PT 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5bGnmtW_mQ

Some Gordon Ramsey:

Broccoli Soup
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFc6o2m9mMQ

Scrambled Eggs Breakfast
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1SM73Qi1BQ

Stuffed Saddle of Lamb
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPO7xUC4Mq8

Cripsy Salmon Crushed Potatoes Fresh Crab Meat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0ff_HC0SR4

Stuffed Corugette Rolls Antipasti PT 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzIdzaif14M

Marinated Mushrooms Antipasti PT 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5pRTggDCtc

Balsamic Beetroot with Roquefort Antipasti PT 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR8hjd6CEmc

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
ChryZ, that is impressive and nice as always! Thank you.

Stuff I might prepare for the weekend:
definitely Burger BBQ,
most definitely marble cake,
maybe also a cheesecake,
Sunday maybe pasta of any sort,
Some dessert with wine perhaps.

Any other suggestions for the next week?

Zaptruder

Banned
OnkelC said:
ChryZ, that is impressive and nice as always! Thank you.

Stuff I might prepare for the weekend:
definitely Burger BBQ,
most definitely marble cake,
maybe also a cheesecake,
Sunday maybe pasta of any sort,
Some dessert with wine perhaps.

Any other suggestions for the next week?

Do europeans have any curry recipies that have been naturalized for europeans? Would be intresting to see one!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Zaptruder said:
Do europeans have any curry recipies that have been naturalized for europeans? Would be intresting to see one!
No cigar for Germany, curry dishes outside of Currywurst are still uncommon over here. The UK folks do have a advanced curry culture, though. Maybe someone british could comment on iz?

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
OnkelC said:
Aaaw, c'mon, cooking by the book is just throwing stuff together that somebody else threw together by random first.:lol
Courage! It would be nice to see the outcome of your efforts. this goes to all the (Yet) silent readers out there.
You shall see, you shall see. Maybe tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom