• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 6: Final Destination confirmed for not fun

Dryk

Maybe you can use stages as a base onto which you can add stuff? Maybe that IS Palutena's Temple, but you can edit it, like how Sakurai put a spring and spike ball there.

It would certainly give variety.
That would be a good way to implement toggling hazards/stage areas on and off too actually.

Het_Nkik

I see the evidence for Palutena stage, but my money's still on stage editor. The geometry just seems so simple and the spring and ball so randomly placed.

GamerSoul

Maybe you can use stages as a base onto which you can add stuff? Maybe that IS Palutena's Temple, but you can edit it, like how Sakurai put a spring and spike ball there.

It would certainly give variety.

Yea I was thinking that could be a possibility. There could be pre-sets areas or backgrounds based of some franchises.

The spring was just a red herring.

Remember there were springs inside Palutenas temple in Uprising.

Also rumble Falls in Brawl had stage editor elements in it.

hmm..interesting. The spring could just be placed there to help characters access the higher part of the stage. Iirc, Rumble Falls had it springs to help you stay on the screen, like you mentioned, so it could be there for functionality.

edit: I have to stop writing "could just be" stuff lol. I'm annoying myself.

Yeah this is definitely the inside of Palutenas Stage

Mw7xmf6.png

3DS_KidIcarusUprising_Virus_Scaled.jpg

353-AKDP.jpg

HiB9cx5.png

Where? I remember a jump pad, but no springs or spikes.

I was referring to the jump pads, I forget what they like like entirely, but they still had spring like mechanics IIRC

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
3DS_KidIcarusUprising_Virus_Scaled.jpg

353-AKDP.jpg

HiB9cx5.png

I was referring to the jump pads, I forget what they like like entirely, but they still had spring like mechanics IIRC

First screenshot is the multiplayer stage "Forgotten City", not chapter 20.

Edit: And that spike ball is an item that orbits around Pit when picked up. Not very similar to the one in the PotD.

First screenshot is the multiplayer stage "Forgotten City", not chapter 20.

Edit: And that spike ball is an item that orbits around Pit when picked up. Not very similar to the one in the PotD.
Yeah they are just elements from Uprising. Either way heres the actual stage which presents....even more decisive evidence:

KI3-1.png

KI2-2.png

KI1-1.png

daily-1.png

FlynnCL

Unconfirmed Member
This is great, and I'm completely convinced it's Palutena's Temple. I'm liking all the comparisons!

Oh, and Smashboards reverting back to its theme from 12 years ago is awesome.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Yeah they are just elements from Uprising. Either way heres the actual stage which presents....even more decisive evidence:

Yes, the textures are from KIU. That's quite evident. But that doesn't prove that it's part of the stage with the Palutena statue. It could be a custom stage builder theme.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You're all ruining the surprise that Sakurai was planning. He is currently crying into his vending machine Asahi beer over this!

Nibel

New screenshot looks like a N64 game

I am very disappointed and will stick to other mascot-brawlers in the future, thanks

We have a punch out stage on 3DS, and will likely get a Pikmin Stage on 3DS. The whole Console/Handheld stage thing isnt entirely exclusive. They will only be used when convenient.
Cannot wait for the Fire Emblem: Awakening stage for the Wii U. I'd like to fight on the back of Grima.

solomon

All these new stages are cool and all but from a competitive aspect all we've seen so far are transforming, moving, or hazard stages. I really hope smash 4 doesn't end up like melee where people only play on 4 stages.

Kriken

zlCfzRt1n6ERnvLvx9

Pic of the day. This may look like a side-scrolling action game, but it's actually one of the stages.

So this is the KI:U stage? Will it be like the Mario Bros stage from Brawl where the stage itself can be one of two stages or is this one something new entirely?

emb

All these new stages are cool and all but from a competitive aspect all we've seen so far are transforming, moving, or hazard stages. I really hope smash 4 doesn't end up like melee where people only play on 4 stages.
The boxing ring stage looks fine so far. Battlefield is there too.

Though I don't really see a problem with playing on just a few of the stages. I honestly find most of them annoying. I'm not playing the game to fight the stage or take in the eye candy, I'm playing to fight with my opponent(s). I recognize that both of us have to deal with the stage and it's fair, I just don't think it's fun.

DaBoss

Did a quick picture of what the overall layout could look like, with Sonic, Pit, Link and Villager from the pics.

kNnLrow.jpg
That looks way too big to be feasible. Look at how small Link looks there.

Maybe it is a scrolling stage or one like the Fire Emblem Castle Siege stage.
I initially thought this was a kid icarus stage but the springs are near identical from the ones from brawl
Hidden-Stage-Builder-Parts-super-smash-bros-brawl-762922_400_315-1-.jpg
Well, considering that Kid Icarus Uprising has glowing pads as jump pads it would be confusing to those who don't know what the glowing pad means.

I see the spring replacing the glowing pad makes perfect sense.

EDIT: This is how a jump pad looks in Kid Icarus Uprising (the pink glowing thing).
izsFbiQsVykib.PNG

I had to get it in one of Chuggaconroy's videos because there were no good pics of the jump pads on the Internet at all lol.

jph139

I hope it's not another transforming/scrolling stage... I don't mind them but I feel like we've been getting a lot of those recently.

Awesome detective work, though, guys - very thorough!

georly

I mean, I really *hope* that's a custom stage, because, if it isn't that's a pretty dull looking regular stage. Not a lot going on, as far as detail. Especially not compared to what we have seen in practically every other stage.

I'm hoping 1 of 2 things:

1. It's a custom stage using "Kid Icarus" as a tileset
  2. It's part of the "Adventure" mode, featuring the kid icarus portion.

I'm imagining single player to be more like Melee, where you run through a very basic mushroom kingdom/hyrule layout and then fight an appropriate boss at the end.

Like this:

or this

If it's not a "good" stage builder or a melee-style adventure mode, it's a bit underwhelming as a level.

georly

but samurai said it's not a side scrolling stage

The quote is that it's not a side-scrolling *GAME*. Which it isn't.

Sakurai the Samurai said:
"Pic of the day. This may look like a side-scrolling action game, but it's actually one of the stages."

He's just saying that this stage in particular may make someone who doesnt know what they're looking at think that it's a side-scrolling *GAME*, but it's not, it's just a (potentially side-scrolling) level in smash-bros.

Calling it now:

Castle Siege-esque floor crumbling for the Palutena's Temple stage. Or it's just huge.

Also, I don't think Sakurai would swap out jump pads with springs just because people may not recognize them. He'd just want players to figure it out.

And gotta get a jab in and say eww @ Melee Adventure Mode. Talk about a bland and uninspired mode.

DaBoss

I mean, I really *hope* that's a custom stage, because, if it isn't that's a pretty dull looking regular stage. Not a lot going on, as far as detail. Especially not compared to what we have seen in practically every other stage.

IIf it's not a "good" stage builder or a melee-style adventure mode, it's a bit underwhelming as a level.
What? We barely even have a good look at the stage and you're calling it underwhelming already?

Only in these threads.

Top Bottom