• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rusty's Real Deal Baseball | OT | Haggle for Peanuts and Crackerjack

rjc571

Banned
And here's the kicker: You feel bad about haggling for a better price.

Yeah, I actually had to consciously remind myself that Rusty wasn't real when he gave me his sob story about his wife leaving and not being able to feed his family. Bravo, Nintendo.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So like, is it possible to combine discount tickets, or am I only allowed to use one per game? Got a 1/2 off, $1 off, & 30% off one.

Edit: WOW, they actually flat-out talk about the Ultra Machine when Rusty talks about the Cage Hitting minigame. Same design, the year is correct, & all that. That's really cool.

Hmm, I got $1.90 for the 2nd minigame as well (donut, then the cooking ticket). I wonder if the haggle process is pre-determined & you only need to give him a donut, then a specific item relating to his problem.

Just bought the Bat & Switch (1st game, $2 discount), but before that, this game plays great! Love the music, writing, characters and the pups!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Damn it, I cannot get the hang of the fastballs on B&S 4-3 & 4-5....Can only get B-ranks.

Whoo, I'm in the OP! :p

This game is fun in the sense of it is frustratingly tricky on some levels to the point that hours of my life disappeared.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Finally, gold on all Basic Bat & Switch challenges....& nothing unlocks...oh well, got 2 pages worth of stamps done. Those Advanced challenges are going to be a pain (UFO one is so much harder with the ball being normal size. Makes hitting the middle-range UFO tough).

Any word on the best use/combo of the discount tickets?

Hale-XF11

Huh, I got an A+ on one of my derby records in The Aim Game. Didn't realize there was anything higher than A. Ooooh and it unlocks
the martian outfit.

This is pretty addicting so far.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
From GameFAQ:

So I just finished buying all the games at the lowest value and here's what you can get. All prices do not include local sales tax which is applied to all purchases seperately. You'll know if a price is at it's lowest because whichever puppy you take with you will tell you and the price box itself will be completely red.

Haggling/Story-Unlocking Games
1st game: $2.00
2nd game: $1.90
3rd game: $1.80
4th game: $1.70
5th game: $1.60
6th game: $1.00

Discount Coupon Games
All four games: $1.50
So total, the cheapest you can get all 10 games is $16. & it seems $1.50 is the lowest you can get the Discount Coupon games.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
From GameFAQ:

So total, the cheapest you can get all 10 games is $16. & it seems $1.50 is the lowest you can get the Discount Coupon games.

I figured this was the case. It seemed as if the storyline would dictate the price of all games.

Hale-XF11

Be careful not to use a $1.00 off ticket after using a half-off ticket. You may only get $0.50 off instead for a total cost of $1.50.

I kinda feel sorry for Rusty, story wise, even before haggling the first game.
What with all his problems at home.
1b214cbb798fc8b5363e9c34d322ee2a_zps242dbbb6.jpg

Other than that, I'm enjoying this game.

maxcriden

Whoo, I'm in the OP! :p

This game is fun in the sense of it is frustratingly tricky on some levels to the point that hours of my life disappeared.

Ha, hope you didn't mind! I came across that post when compiling the OP and didn't want your hard work to go to waste!

From GameFAQ:

Added to the OP, thanks Zonic!

Platy

Edit: WOW, they actually flat-out talk about the Ultra Machine when Rusty talks about the Cage Hitting minigame. Same design, the year is correct, & all that. That's really cool.

Which makes the game kinda sets in a specific date.... since Rusty is like 8 years or something and he used the Ultra Machine when he was a child... which explains why every cartridge has that NES look

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, he would have been about 10 (human) years old when the Ultra Machine came out if we assume the game takes place in present day. I love small touches/references like that.

Oh, & you can use up to 3 discount tickets at once, so it seems the best combinations to use would be 1/2 off ($2) & .50 cents off or 30% off (2.80), 1.00 off (1.80), then .30 cents off ($1.50). Basically, do the math before hand to make sure you get really close to $1.50 since he won't go lower than that, considering posts from earlier.

daydream

Banned
I think we get Nintendo Pocket Football Club (Calciobit localisation) instead.

I guess. Still would vastly prefer to have both games, though. It's a downloadable title that's already localised, so why not (same goes for Chibi Robo). I'd really prefer it if Nintendo was a bit less concerned with their translations and just released a game in English if the alternative is not releasing it at all. If Capcom can do it..

I gave this game a chance, and realized the haggling is more part of the fun of the game, and its story, rather than a way of getting a random discount. It tells you when you can keep going, or if you cant talk the price down more.

I really like the presentation. At times, it gives off some warioware vibes.

I only bought bat and switch, and i think thatll be the most popular. The 3d effect in this game is cool. Especially when the camera changes angle, to make it more difficult, and i was hitting the ball towards myself.

Clever game.

Shinta

Banned
Only Nintendo could build a game entirely on micro-transactions, and sports, and make me love it.

I'm hooked.

So far this game is giving me memories of being a kid and renting some cheap-ass, simple and one-note game on NES or GameBoy... and then spending hours upon hours playing it trying to beat my score until suddenly I realized the whole weekend was gone and I had to take it back.

I can tell it's gonna be awhile before I even need to buy the second game, and that's the reason this will ultimately be worth the price.

rpmurphy

I am pleasantly surprised. The game being downloadable and the DLC pricing structure being what it is may lead people to think this is shovelware (seeing the JP Nintendo Direct way back when, that was my initial impression), but it's not at all the case. A lot of love seemed to have been put into the game and it is very polished. The 3D effect in this game feels like it helps with the gameplay.

I advanced the story to get a few games (two batting and one catching), and each one I feel has enough content to be worth the haggled-down asking prices. The mini-games are fun. It's a lot of reflex and timing exercises, and there's a lot of twists and tricks to make them very challenging.

I'll say this:
Meet me somewhere, Christopher Robin!
But quite not yet, let me prepare myself with this game first.

Majestad

Banned
This game is awesome. I already bought the second mini game.

It's cool how the "in-app" purchasing is some sort of gameplay/storytelling mechanic. Feels good to give money to Ol' Rusty.

n64coder

Man, impressions are so positive. Come on, NoE, we want in on it!

Do people in Europe follow baseball much? I can understand NoE not doing the localization if baseball does not have much of a following there.

It's a lot of reflex and timing exercises, and there's a lot of twists and tricks to make them very challenging.

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised by how much fun it is. I'm looking forward to continuing the story and getting more mini games.

It's cool how the "in-app" purchasing is some sort of gameplay/storytelling mechanic. Feels good to give money to Ol' Rusty.

I only wish the in-app purchasing process was faster.

Platy

Do people in Europe follow baseball much? I can understand NoE not doing the localization if baseball does not have much of a following there.

To be fair I could not hate baseball more and this game is awesome.

If I wasn't unemployed I would probably bough the entire game by now =D

It is like Destructoid says ... it is more like a Visual Novel about the tragedy of Rusty's life with small rythm minigames here and there

Exile20

To be fair I could not hate baseball more and this game is awesome.

If I wasn't unemployed I would probably bough the entire game by now =D

It is like Destructoid says ... it is more like a Visual Novel about the tragedy of Rusty's life with small rythm minigames here and there

I actually feel accomplished when I get a game for cheap. Makes me buy even more games. I feel sorry for Rusty tho.

Tom_Cody

I have only bought the first game so far and the haggling process was very straightforward for that one. I've played enough Bat and Switch for now and I want to get the second game. Are discount coupons necessary to get the lowest possible price for the next game or will items be enough?

In general I'm kind of confused about how the discount coupons combine with items in the haggling process.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I have only bought the first game so far and the haggling process was very straightforward for that one. I've played enough Bat and Switch for now and I want to get the second game. Are discount coupons necessary to get the lowest possible price for the next game or will items be enough?

In general I'm kind of confused about how the discount coupons combine with items in the haggling process.
Discount Coupons only work towards 4 of the minigames, which'll say "Use Discount Tickets" over it: Drop & Pop, Volley Bats, Gear Games, & Bat Master. You can use up to 3 discount tickets at once & since the lowest price you can get it is $1.50, you wanna try using good combinations like 1/2 off & 0.50 off.

Oh yeah, are stamp books specific for each game or does it carry over? Just finished page 3 & got nothing but donuts....heck, I'm now at 24 donuts!!

I can't decide if I want to support this type of pay structure or if I would rather just spend $20 on a different game that I've been meaning to pick up...

Refyref

So I bought the first game. It's surprisingly fun, although it can get a bit hard. Feels like a rhythm game, but it's not sound based.

(I do wonder, how would the story of the second chapter even work if you didn't haggle in the first one?)

Tom_Cody

Discount Coupons only work towards 4 of the minigames, which'll say "Use Discount Tickets" over it: Drop & Pop, Volley Bats, Gear Games, & Bat Master. You can use up to 3 discount tickets at once & since the lowest price you can get it is $1.50, you wanna try using good combinations like 1/2 off & 0.50 off.
Cool, thanks. Now I can buy the second game with full confidence.

Regarding the "Use Discount Tickets" games, can you obtain enough discount tickets to ensure that you can get all of them for the lowest possible price? Or do I need to be selective in which tickets I use and when?

Essentially I only want to buy games when 1) they are the lowest price I can possibly spend and 2) when I can be sure that I'm not going to cause a problem for myself down the road by over-using discount tickets. I get the sense that this hasn't been a problem for other people but I want to make absolute sure that I'm using the correct strategy.

Tom_Cody

I can't decide if I want to support this type of pay structure or if I would rather just spend $20 on a different game that I've been meaning to pick up...
It's a fun mini-game collection (with a surprising amount of story content), the total price is $16 if you haggle properly, and the pay-as-you-go structure ensures that you will only pay the full price if you play all the way through. I'm not sure where you can go wrong here.

It's more appropriate to lump this in with pay-as-you-go episodic games (like Telltale Games' offerings) than F2P cancer (like Candy Crush).

Give the demo portion a go and then you can decide if you want to buy more content.

Great impressions so far, I might jump in.

Would be cool to see if something different happens story wise if you pay maximum for every mini game. I am cheap, so I am not volunteering, lol.

It's a fun mini-game collection (with a surprising amount of story content), the total price is $16 if you haggle properly, and the pay-as-you-go structure ensures that you will only pay the full price if you play all the way through. I'm not sure where you can go wrong here.

It's more appropriate to lump this in with pay-as-you-go episodic games (like Telltale Games' offerings) than F2P cancer (like Candy Crush).

Give the demo portion a go and then you can decide if you want to buy more content.

I think this is the way to go. If you are not liking a game you don´t get burned with too much money. If you do then you can pay as you go. This could be a very cool pricing alternative, although I would still give people the option to buy the whole package.

Clearly Nintendo is experimenting, at least they are trying different things. This could be an attempt to fight the mobile market pricing but as you guys explained, it is way cooler as the story is tied to the mini games you acquire.

Dumb, good? or just dumb?

Sounds like good dumb.

pdk27

Cool game so far. Kinda makes me wish Nintendo would make a proper baseball game with this batting engine.

daydream

Banned

a) It's a game (and a really fun one, it seems), not the real thing. b) I'm arguing that further localisation work isn't required and putting it out in English is way better than nothing.

bart64

Banned
Have to echo all the positive impressions. This game is a bundle of fresh ideas, it's just a pleasure to play.

I was skeptical about the payment structure because I'm cheap as hell and would hate overpaying, but it seems that the only way to get burned is if you want all the games at once. Creative way to introduce a new IP: low-barrier, unique, experimental. Also nice to see a new game with hardcore skill-based mechanics; like Brain Age for your reflexes with an attitude closer to Wario Ware.

maxcriden

I'll try to d/l this later on today. Looking forward to checking it out what with all the positive impressions so far!

Hale-XF11

I swear, Nintendo is the king of creating addicting and charming mini-games. Now that I've purchased all of the games, I can tell I'm gonna be playing this for quite some time, especially with all the advanced stages included. I only wish there were online leaderboards, but that's Nintendo for you, I guess.

terrisus

Yeah, "episodic" is a much better way to look at this. Basically, you start off with a demo, and then just buy whatever episodes appeal to you. If you don't want to buy some of them, that's perfectly fine and doesn't in any way impact your enjoyment of the ones that you did get, and you're not forced to get anything that you didn't want.

Cool game so far. Kinda makes me wish Nintendo would make a proper baseball game with this batting engine.

RIP

65202_front.jpg

Such a shame that this never got released.

Top Bottom