• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is something wrong with me? I'm not impressed by this generation.

Chinner

Banned
itt babbies who fell for the hype and set themselves up to fall.

this happens every generation. every single one. it takes a new console a couple of years to get into its stride. if you're hesitant you should never buy a new console at launch as it's always going to disappoint you, as developers need time with the new technology and unshackle themselves from the last.

this generation is of to a pretty respectable start. i think some of you guys have forgotten how laughable some of the launch games for x360/ps3 were. then again some of might actually be 12 years old, and this might be your first console launch.

Amir0x

Banned
I've been plenty impressed from a technical perspective, but I'm just not sure about the AAA lineup itself. Shrinking, and totally lamer and more predictable every year that goes by. So I guess it's a good thing I love indies and don't consider them second-tier citizens, or I'd be disappointed too. But since, like, everything is in 2015 now, I'd at least wait til that year ends to draw conclusions

So, I've had WiiU since day 1, PS4 since day 1 and I plan to get XB1 day 1 if Microsoft some day remember that Sweden exist.
Anyhow, I've played on an import XB1 and today I think I've seen the games that is said to really show off the generational leap on all platforms.

I finally played Second Son for the first time yesterday, which DF said was the best looking game on any platform in their technical article, and I thought I would finally come away really impressed.

But no, I was not impressed, like at all.

I get that games will get more impressive over time and Naughty Dog still haven't shown their next gen stuff which might be amazing, but so far this has easily been the most underwelming start of a new generation for as long as I can remember.

Games still look about the same, most games still run at 30fps and we basically still play the same exact games as before since nothing has happened on the gameplay front.

ZombiU had some novel ideas with the Gamepad screen which I really liked but WiiU sadly isn't delivering the visual leap I'm looking for when entering a new generation. Off TV Play at 60fps without lag is probably what I'm most impressed about so far, but it's on WiiU again. PS4 and XB1 has the power to impress, I think, but so far I'm just not impressed at all with the gameplay or performance there. Also, isn't it annoying that we see far more 60fps games on WiiU when it's supposed to be more like a last gen console technically?

Am I the only one with this feeling?

an honest question : why do you buy/plan on buying every next gen console day 1 when you're not impressed? surely you have watched some demo's of games before you made the decision? you don't have to buy the X1 immediately, why not wait a year or so?

also, graphics are only impressive in the beginning, games should impress with new gameplay mechanics or other technical feats (an example, i would like to see a game like Fallout 3 with NO loading times when you go inside a building, you know, like a seamless transition) and there just aren't any, reason why there is so much cross-gen now, only difference to me seems to be graphical quality, if i'm wrong, please correct me...

Malalaw

I went in to this generation not expecting much, just so I wouldn't be disappointed. It is about what I expected so far. No complaints.

Cdammen

Graphics wise? No, it's quite good, I'm happy on that front. I always crave a different experience. I'd rather have VR, or great 3D (like the one found on the 3DS), or even just a new peripheral to control something (like a really nice flight stick) rather than "shinier" graphics. I want to be "in" the game, that's why I love crazy arcade cabinets, the PC, and the Wii :)

Also many console AAA do nothing for me. They're so rote, so "play one and you've played them all". But that because they need to sell to as big of an audience as possible to recoup costs. Thank the gods that there are many indie, small studios, or medium sized ones that do interesting stuff and take risks others cannot take.

Cosmozone

Pretty happy with the generation so far. The Wii U has a whole lot of great games already. The PS4 has not much yet, but it's shaping up very well with MGSV on the horizon. SS is probably not too bad as well.

itt babbies who fell for the hype and set themselves up to fall.

this happens every generation. every single one. it takes a new console a couple of years to get into its stride. if you're hesitant you should never buy a new console at launch as it's always going to disappoint you, as developers need time with the new technology and unshackle themselves from the last.

this generation is of to a pretty respectable start. i think some of you guys have forgotten how laughable some of the launch games for x360/ps3 were. then again some of might actually be 12 years old, and this might be your first console launch.
Agreed except when you said 360 launch games were laughable. Had a great first year, too.

The 360 had an awesome first year, problem was the console could/would possibly break within that year.

Elder Scrolls Oblivion
Call of Duty 2
Dead or Alive 4
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
Dead Rising
Hitman Blood Money (cross gen port)
Condemned
Gears of War
Rainbow Six Vegas

Like others I wasn't impressed until infamous. Also I popped into game today and seeing watchdogs footage on the ps4 demo unit, as opposed to my laptop on YouTube made the gen gap clear

jimi_dini

You wouldn't watch a movie for 2 minutes and say it's a bad movie based off two minutes alone, would you?

322FSvn.jpg
p8HWvZ9.jpg

Pretty happy with the generation so far. The Wii U has a whole lot of great games already.

Agreed. Wii U is awesome.

I'm not surprised if people are disappointed. How many games are even games anymore? On the AAA side it's wannabe movie presentation over and over and over again, with something that pretends to be an action game ("press button when prompted") with mild RPG elements for "gameplay" - every game is part of a dull monogenre, essentially, if they're games at all.

The sales patterns for "hardcore" games bear it out - a huge hype-driven spike and then an enormous crash right into the bargain bin.

You know what the most interesting things about the Wii were? The first one was what questions were asked when the box itself was made. Sony's driving question was "how do we make the best console possible?", to which everything more and better is a very logical answer. Not a financially sane one, but logical and proper. So "what is good" was graphics and power.

What Nintendo asked was "how to make a box nobody hates". This resulted in "what is good" being things like "small", "quiet", "not horribly expensive", "doesn't consume a ton of electricity", "backwards compatible" and such. Same thing with the controller. Make it powerful but not scary. Motion is more natural than a million buttons.** So enter Wii hardware. Likewise, Nintendo marketed the console with things like Wii Sports - a game that is easy to grasp what's going on, easy to pick up and get addicted. Basically, old arcade-style game design with an extra dose of friendly.

I explain these values because they explain why most third-party Wii games failed. The third parties didn't realize "good" was redefined on the Wii. They saw people buy games in the vein of old arcade titles*** - things where you can quickly tell what's going on, can begin playing quickly type of things, with an extra dose of friendly. Production values were not terribly high. Of course, from the old frame of reference these things looked odd - the checklist of "better technical graphics", "more movie-like presentation", "systems systems systems", "online instead of the couch for multiplayer" told them these games were bad, disappointing. In some ways, even going backwards (because we're usually taught that new is automatically better, which is not categorically true).
Clearly, the logical conclusion is that these people were idiots and were satisfied with things that needed no effort to make (I mean, just look at how unimpressive Wii Sports is). So the game industry made games for drooling idiots.

Guess why they failed? A complete lack of respect for your audience is oftentimes a pretty bad thing in entertainment. And especially when your customers aren't like us - people who will basically play games no matter what, even if it means clinging to bad products. Even if their tastes are simple, the Wii audience was in many ways far, far more demanding than the "hardcore" one. They didn't follow gaming media so you couldn't hype them up, they didn't have to play so if your product was crap they simply walked away.

For all the talk about business models everywhere as salvation to lacking sales, Nintendo's business model with the Wii/DS was as traditional as can be - it was the products that resulted in success, and it is clearly the products that are currently the main problem with industry performance. Yet the product is the one thing that is rarely questioned.

So that's the bad games. What about the good ones, then? The interesting thing was how those good games sold. Their sales were not short, frontloaded spikes like on traditional industry consoles. Instead, they sold more steadily over a long period of time. This kind of sales pattern indicates sales by word of mouth, that is, satisfied customers telling and showing others how cool that stuff is. Many people were disappointed that Wii/DS games weren't often discounted, but the reasons for that are plainly logical: You don't need to if the product is moving all the time at full price. There's little else to it. That sales pattern is, IMO, the closest to an objective measure of quality I can think of. More important than raw sales numbers, espeically if they're in the hype-spike pattern.

[/braindump]

Ein Bear

I'm thoroughly enjoying my time the PS4/Xbone so far, but I do think it's a bit of a shame that we haven't had a 'big leap forward' game yet. Like that moment you first left the sewers in Oblivion, did the trench run in Rogue Leader, or pretty much the entirety of Super Mario 64.

I've got no doubt that these consoles are completely capable of delivering games like that, and will do so in due time, but I can understand being a bit disappointed with what we have to play at the moment.

You have several more years to decide. I am underwhelmed as well on the technical side but I guess that is my problem. The best game I've played so far this generation is Killer Instinct.

This exactly. I bought an Xbox One just for Killer Instinct but overall the consoles are pretty shitty and rushed. Still should've waited another year for these to come out.

Just the animation helps to dissipate any doubt... So much more superfluous samples on next gen, as it used to be IRL.
Please, bring your attention on the small details like the fingers, the mouth, the eyes, the forehead, this is basically real life.
And at the risk repeating myself, the main target is our reality.
And when I see those gifs, I'm sorry but I clearly see on one side, a robot, and on the other a real human being in his whole manner to move.
In fact, we must change our paradigm and relearn to observe graphics. We shouldn't think how far we are from the previous gen, but rather how close we are to the real life.

Better animation and better lumination go a long way, it is basically why the better WiiU games also can look somewhat next gen-ish without the horsepower of a PS4 or X1. The latter of course trump with sharper textures, more objects, more complex physic systems (e.g. the stuff that makes these cool collapsing buildings/bridges, water effects and so on so impressive).

I'm content with the jump we made when it comes to the technical impressions regarding PS4 and X1. Yes, it is not day/night (N64/PS1 era through DC and then PS2/GC/Xbox) but it is very noticeable. I still wish there would be more optimisation on animation (especially dynamic animation, clothes, hair, face) and framerate instead of only "more objects, more particles, more explosions". Maybe not being impressed by the technical aspects might come from the last 1-2 years of console exclusives (mostly on PS3 IMO) which looked "next gen" in comparison to the first 1-2 years of the old consoles as well because of a huge leap in quality since the first few Xbox 360 and PS3 games came out. But...

I've been plenty impressed from a technical perspective, but I'm just not sure about the AAA lineup itself. Shrinking, and totally lamer and more predictable every year that goes by. So I guess it's a good thing I love indies and don't consider them second-tier citizens, or I'd be disappointed too. But since, like, everything is in 2015 now, I'd at least wait til that year ends to draw conclusions
<- this kinda.

What I am utterly dissapointed in is the stagnation on the gameplay front when it comes to big technical showcase titles. I remember the series which are currently available with sequel no.XY being fresh when they started one or two gens before, now I see their gameplay and it feels stale to me apart from the technical jump. So...

Question: Do you own an 8th-gen handheld yet?

I'm currently sitting it out, playing mostly on 3DS and Vita. These provide me with good new and cheaper games - mainly from japanese developers but stuff like Tearaway makes me sad that not more Western studios give the handhelds a try -, a best-of of former generations in form of remakes and compilations now playable on handheld and fresh indie stuff. Probably going to get a Wii U (maybe when Mario Kart comes out, but for sure when Bayo2 or X hit) and a PS4 (when Phantom Pain and some of Sonys new IPs like Order 1886 are out) down the lane but I'm in no rush to do so right now concerning what's available right now. Also, I now have a reason to play old games which I for some reasons missed out on.

Melchiah

I'm not surprised if people are disappointed. How many games are even games anymore? On the AAA side it's wannabe movie presentation over and over and over again, with something that pretends to be an action game ("press button when prompted") with mild RPG elements for "gameplay" - every game is part of a dull monogenre, essentially, if they're games at all.

There were games like Dragon's Lair, text-based adventures (Hulk, Lurking Horror...), and It Came from the Desert (and other Cinemaware games) even back in the Amiga days, where you didn't always control the character directly. Nothing's really changed in that regard, and I must say I find the arbitrary distinction between what's a game and what's not a ridiculous concept. A game is a game, even if some don't like its gameplay mechanics.

prag16

Banned
Diminishing returns are here. Sure it's better. It's noticeably better. But in terms of noticeability, it's the smallest generational leap we've had in my opinion (other people may disagree, but that is where I stand after having seen and played the games). Of course the games will continue to improve over the next five years, but the immediate difference at launch is definitely the smallest yet (outside of the handful of garbage crap ports all gens have seen early on).

Then we have an entirely separate question... in terms of non-graphical considerations, has anything at all been done thus far that can't be fairly faithfully reproduced on PS360U? I'd say no. The closest thing is the massive hordes of DR3 enemies.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Only reading the TC and maybe a few posts....

This is quite the jump of conclusions thus far. We may be getting lots of multi platform games on PS4 and XB but particularly with PS4, there is not a shortage of games and lookers.

But as was noted by others, you are making this call way too early and at this point, if you're getting into next gen there are plenty of games especially on PS4.

Squozen

The tech is better, the gameplay is the same old shit. Kind of why I got the PS4 to be honest, I'm far more interested in the new ideas the indies come up with.

Dennis

Banned
There was this one screenshot from Second Son that impressed me. Side of a building or some such.

Other than that, not impressed.

I want to be impressed, I want to to want a next-gen console.

Sitting on PC though it's hard to justify the purchase, none of the new consoles do anything significantly different and the graphics difference isn't there either.

ironcreed

Banned
The only things I am not impressed with is the push towards more microtransactions in full retail titles, 50GB games with mandatory installs on 500 GB HDDs and required subscriptions on both the PS4 and Xbox One. But on the bright side, the technical upgrade is most definitely noticeable for me.

Don't worry, Watch Dogs will melt your PS4.

But on a serious note, if you aren't impressed by infamous then your expectations were probably unrealistic. I finished my first play though last night and it's immensely impressive. One of the best looking games I've seen on any platform, including high end PC.

But on a serious note, if you aren't impressed by infamous then your expectations were probably unrealistic. I finished my first play though last night and it's immensely impressive. One of the best looking games I've seen on any platform, including high end PC.

Yes, visually a stunner; gameplay, well let's just say the MGS V demo is loads more fun.

I am really happy with the new gen so far, though. Only going to get better, too.

m.i.s.

Banned
Long, thoughtful post.

[/braindump]

Really enjoyed reading that. Thanks.

Will never understand what kind of executive management group-think possessed NCL to abandon support for the Wii console. There was tons of stuff to mine from the GCN library (for New Play Control for starters).

---------

I'm almost certainly going to sit this gen out or jump in at the tail end when everything's going cheap. About the only thing that appeals at the moment is some of the VC stuff on Wii U.

Also enjoyed the twin convenience of on-board memory storage and wireless controllers as a standard feature last gen.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
First post nails it. KI has single handedly justified owning an Xbone for me. The graphics are impressive, not 'mind-blowing' but certainly very nice to look at, also 60fps and great netcode. I'm expecting IG to improve the graphics and art direction pretty significantly for Season 2.

reKon

Banned
Well this gen has barely started. Were people really impressed this early on last Gen? I know I wasn't after the first 6 months. In fact no game made me want to jump into the next generation other than Gears of War. This Gen we've seen some glimpses of pretty impressive stuff visually. We just have to wait on the games with incredible game play. So far we have Infamous SS, which is very fun play and clearly visually better than any game

RK9039

No, I feel the same as you. I only have the PS4 at the moment so I don't know about the other ones but honestly I'm not impressed by the PS4 at all. I think I only turned it on to play games no more than three or four times in total. When the PS3 came out I probably played games on it at least once every day, especially after Oblivion came out on it.

Although I am really looking forward to The Order, maybe that game might be the one to impress me a lot.

an honest question : why do you buy/plan on buying every next gen console day 1 when you're not impressed? surely you have watched some demo's of games before you made the decision? you don't have to buy the X1 immediately, why not wait a year or so?

also, graphics are only impressive in the beginning, games should impress with new gameplay mechanics or other technical feats (an example, i would like to see a game like Fallout 3 with NO loading times when you go inside a building, you know, like a seamless transition) and there just aren't any, reason why there is so much cross-gen now, only difference to me seems to be graphical quality, if i'm wrong, please correct me...

Honest answer from someone in a similar situation - because I can afford to, and I'm assuming things will improve. Next gen is ok at the moment, but I don't feel like missing out any surprises.

Yes, visually a stunner; gameplay, well let's just say the MGS V demo is loads more fun.

I am really happy with the new gen so far, though. Only going to get better, too.

I disagree completely. I thought the gameplay was superb. The traversal and fast flowing freestyle combat was a blast. Fun/10 for me. "Felt" like it was running at 60 most of the time too. I don’t know in what alternate universe infamous has bad gameplay but that’s just me.

DrunkDan

The Second Son photo thread is a good starting point.

Some of the stuff in there is almost bullshot quality and this is only the beginning of this gen.

I agree that gameplay hasn't progressed that much but I think that will always be an issue. The visual improvements will always be the most noticeable though. I have no doubt that AI will definitely be improved too, but for developers to make the public stand up and take notice the graphics will always be the first port of call.

I disagree completely. I thought the gameplay was superb. The traversal and fast flowing freestyle combat was a blast. Fun/10 for me. "Felt" like it was running at 60 most of the time too. I don’t know in what alternate universe infamous has bad gameplay but that’s just me.

Not "bad" just incredibly repetitive.

noobasuar

Banned
Let me know when studios start hiring level designers and gameplay designers again.

Something pretty fails to excite me without also being engaging to play.

Maybe y'all should focus on gameplay you enjoy and not so much on pushing polygons. Get a new game because you're excited for the interactive experience, not necessarily just the aesthetic experience.

Second Son looks good, but we're not even 6months in yet.

Just take a look at Heavenly Sword compared to Last of Us, God of War 3 or Drake's Deception. The best is yet to come.

Hyunashi

Totally agree. I still think the PS3 has been the best console this year and the best game has been a HD remaster (FFX/X-2) and I really don't think its going to change for me for quite some time. The only interesting game slated for this year on current gen consoles to me is The Order: 1886 and MAYBE Destiny if I can get over my hate for shooters.

Next year should get better though.

GetemMa

geeze.

the rose tinted glasses are already looking fondly on the last gen and it is barely over.

The games don't look the same. I really wish people would do a quick side by side comparison of the best looking last gen games and what infamous SS looks like before saying such things.

You aren't going to see the sea change we saw from PS1 to PS2 to PS3 anymore.

Smoother, more complex geometry, better lighting/textures/shadows, greater tessellation....its all going to be more subtle the further and further along we go.

I want to be impressed, I want to to want a next-gen console.

Sitting on PC though it's hard to justify the purchase, none of the new consoles do anything significantly different and the graphics difference isn't there either.

That's a good way to put it, it's exactly where I'm at. My PC just gives me SO many options for so much less money. In fact, if I decided to dump $500 into an awesome graphics card setup, it would still be a better investment.

The way things are going now, there are going to be something like ten exclusive games worth owning by the end of the system's life spans. Who wants to put up with that?

Look at PS2, SNES, Dreamcast, the true greats...there are between 100-200 games worth buying for those system by the end of life. Many of those still hold up today.

You want me to pay a $500 admittance fee for a paltry, spaced-out AAA lineup of exclusive games that are typically boring, crammed full of DLC, and then also pay $50 a year to play them online?

Fuck off.

Really enjoyed reading that. Thanks.

Will never understand what kind of executive management group-think possessed NCL to abandon support for the Wii console. There was tons of stuff to mine from the GCN library (for New Play Control for starters).

---------

I'm almost certainly going to sit this gen out or jump in at the tail end when everything's going cheap. About the only thing that appeals at the moment is some of the VC stuff on Wii U.

Also enjoyed the twin convenience of on-board memory storage and wireless controllers as a standard feature last gen.

While NCL is better than most of the industry - AAA devs and "originality"-obsessed indies alike - in that they don't feel that games need to be a "seriously taken form of art", they have been infected by a different form of insanity. Namely, that games should be about "surprise".

If you ask me, the purpose of a game should be to spark the imagination of the player, and to have a solid feel to the mechanical gameplay. The AAA industry and the indies ("industry") are hellbent on forcing their imaginations down the players' throats, not just giving the player's mind the sparks to light up fireworks, which is what proper content does. NCL doesn't believe in that either. They think games' job is to surprise people. It's why they come up with mechanical gimmick after mechanical gimmick, and then forcibly contort some extant Nintendo property around the gimmick and call it a game. It's why they feel lackluster. To put it in different words, Modern Nintendo would never have made Starfox - they would have made Metroid: Space Combat instead. Old Nintendo instead had an idea and created an entire world around it.

The common thread in both the industry madness and the NCL madness is that they're not about what's fun for the player to play, but what is fun for the developers to make. It's why the AAA dudes make movies - it's fun playing director. It's why NCL loves 3D vision so much - it's surprising, they think, and they've been trying to do it for ages and always failed. Making 3d camera pans and such is fun. Making puzzles for Indie Puzzle-Platformer with Original(tm) Art Style #395639 is easy and fun.

Tuning stages for a fast 2d action game that has to stand on it's flow and mechanics, where you have to communicate things simply and effectively, and can't employ craptons of technical graphical effects to make it impressive? IT'S WORK. You have to spend ages fine-tuning the controls so they feel just right, you have to spend ages fine-tuning the levels so they flow well at different skill levels. You have limited room to do things like spiffy camera angles. You can't do stuff that screams "impressive".

Combine that with our society really pushing creativity as an end in itself, and you end up in a pile of s*** posthaste. It's why when people talk lovingly about abolishing limits to creativity I balk at the idea. Back in the day, "creative" was simply an unusual way to solve a problem. Now, end in itself. Problem is? Being creative is easy. Being good is hard. Example: A Finnish artist once literally put a bunch of blood and s*** in a washing machine and turned it on. This is art. Creativity as an end, and not a path to something good. Another example: Heavy Rain. Cage literally thinks games should stop being games. A bunch of my friends jokingly call him David "Antichrist" Cage because of that. We don't want Heavy Rain. We want games.

It's why indie games have so much potential that ends up wasted. A good bunch just focus on being pretentious, artsy, on being "visionaries". Sorry folks, I want games, I don't want stuff that "makes a statement" or some bs.

Back in the day when hardware limitations were a thing and you got revenue from the arcades, you tried being artsyfartsy and you went bankrupt. Good, simple games that brought new people in were what you simply had to do. Creativity wasn't pouring yourself to the disc in an embarassment that would get laughed out of Hollywood or any big published in two seconds, it was using the same sprite for the clouds and the bushes in Super Mario Bros. Because otherwise there just was no space. A game had to stand on it's merits.

Which brings me to the last part: Bringing in new people. Why? Because, if Nintendo is to be believed*, past gaming growth has been driven by population growth, multiple console ownership and access to new geographical markets. Furthermore, most of the post-NES years have been years of economic growth. That is to say, the portion of the population videogames reach has remained largely static over the past decades, and the industry has just milked more money from the same people.

Now? Economy's looking dire, Europe and Japan are in a population decline, and new geographical markets are pretty slim. Clearly, that can't continue. If the industry is to survive, let alone grow, it must reach a broader amount of people. Back in the NES days when many of us started playing games (the same ones many "hardcores" amusing call non-games now that they're Kool(tm)), adults used to play too. They used to play because games were simpler. Controllers were not monsters and games could be grasped easily. Progress was more about skill, less about raw hours spent. Good for people with not much free time.

Amusingly, everyone and their dog is making "hardcore" games. Let's see the financial reality of it:
1. Massive competition. Check.
2. Massive costs. Check.
3. No prospects of market growth. Check.
End result: Say hello to bankruptcy. It's why midsize devs basically died out last generation. They tried to kill CoD and failed, as everyone did.

* Reggie went over this in a 2005 press briefing that no one paid any attention to. It explained very concretely why Wii and DS were made, yet people thought it was dry business talk and then proceeded to go wtf Nintendo is insane when there 100% was a method to their "madness". Talk was on Youtube once upon a time but I can't find it for now, so here's an IGN transcript:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2005/11/04/reggie-talks-nintendos-future

Remember, whenever something seems strange and doesn't quite make sense, start following the money. Turns out most strange things make a ton of sense the moment you follow the money instead of what's being said publicly. Whether it's politics or war or the video game business.

EDIT: Final amusing tidbit. Nintendo used to not believe in the "casual"/"hardcore" divide the game industry manufactured up to demonize the Wii (which they hated the guts of, after all it's the retardation of gaming and all that's good and holy, main reason they were remotely friendly toward it was because from the old frame of reference it was basically 100% certainly a short-lived fad.) in the eyes of their "hardcore" audience (I find the using "hardcore" or "real game / gamer" to describe the hand-holdy QTE festivals AAA games are to be amusing). They simply made games for people who played games. Now? They've turned into an industry company. They bought the idea of the "hardcore"/"casual" divide hook, line and sinker. Just go through Nintendo's old press conferences from the Revolution/Wii/DS era and now. The way they talk is vastly different. It used to be different from MS/Sony. Now it's they all sound the same.

Asherdude

This generation is the first time that I remember the consoles not being that much better than the previous gen. The SNES was leaps and bound ahead of the NES. And the PS1 was leaps and bounds ahead of the SNES. And so on & so on. Only the original Wii was the disappointment in the graphics area. But even then, you could tell the difference between a Wii & Gamecube game.

I traded in my Wii U last year for some 360 games while I waited on the PS4. I did that because the Wii U wasn't that much better than the 360 or PS3. Now I'm starting to regret that decision. The Wii U had something that the PS4 doesn't... 1080p Nintendo games.

Zia

The Wii U has come into its own (as it simultaneously sinks deeper into obscurity), but yeah, the XB1 and PS4 are the most uninteresting consoles yet. Infamous was typically flimsy, Killzone was typically shit and, um, the XB1 has a nice controller. I think we have to be impressed with each platform holder's E3 lineup, and there should be reasons to plunk down money on one of the Big Two come this fall, but I agree... totally unimpressive. When the only meaningful game on either platform is essentially a demo for the next Metal Gear, things are pretty dismal.

Top Bottom