• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 (Fan) Translation Released

Aeana

Played a few hours just now.

The whole open world battle system was weird and not quite fun. We'll see how that develops.

I also hit a hard frame drop whenever I explode a body for MP during a battle. While jarring, it's not that big of a deal.
How are you doing with kill sights and break sights? And have you tried using some other characters?
You can teach your characters abilities using their AP at relics, which will make them all much more varied. And you'll get access to more magic types, as well.

BasilZero

WOOOOOOOOOOOW

Played a hour of the game , really loving it.

Why did SE not release this game again in the west? Mind boggling.

Indignate

That reminds me, I tried using the codex and got stuck at a black screen with a short sound loop.

Anybody else run into this?

tensuke

Well, this is a surprise. Looks like Type-0 is going for around $40 on ebay, so I'll have to pick this up sooner than I expected. Very cool!

Indignate

How are you doing with kill sights and break sights? And have you tried using some other characters?
You can teach your characters abilities using their AP at relics, which will make them all much more varied. And you'll get access to more magic types, as well.

Yeah, I'm on top of all that. The regular battles are really fun.

It's the open world "army commanding" battles that weren't as great. Just seemed a little stale.

Aeana

Yeah, I'm on top of all that. The regular battles are really fun.

It's the open world "army commanding" battles that weren't as great. Just seemed a little stale.
Ohhh, I wasn't sure if that's what you meant or not. Yeah I'm not a big fan of those either.

wmlk

Were the movies always this choppy on PSP though? Seems to stutter everyone half second or so for a bit.

SoulUnison

Banned
Movies play fine on my PSP.

For ref: PSP-2000, CFW 6.60 PRO-C3, Inferno driver, 333 MHz, uncompressed ISO.

I'm running exactly the same after advice given earlier in the topic, and the game seems to perform perfectly for me.
Exactly the same way I'd expect it to if I put my UMD in the drive, with the exception of the translation, of course.

I'm thinking of switching to emulation because apparently my hands have gotten bigger or lost circulation in the last 3 or 4 years, though. >_>
Can't get through 15 minutes without needing to shake my hands out to wake them up again.

aravuus

Will there be an OT or is this thread gonna be used for the actual game discussion too? Don't think I've ever been around when a fan translation got released.

Then I'll be skipping the cutscenes in XV as well. Why can't they just keep it all separate like XII and earlier?

Ahahahaha. Your loss I guess, but damn lol

Aeana

Will there be an OT or is this thread gonna be used for the actual game discussion too? Don't think I've ever been around when a fan translation got released.

Ahahahaha. Your loss I guess, but damn lol
I told people they could create another thread if anyone wanted to, but so far no one has stepped up to the task. Until then, this is the thread.

Renpatsu

I'm running exactly the same after advice given earlier in the topic, and the game seems to perform perfectly for me.
Exactly the same way I'd expect it to if I put my UMD in the drive, with the exception of the translation, of course.

I'm thinking of switching to emulation because apparently my hands have gotten bigger or lost circulation in the last 3 or 4 years, though. >_>
Can't get through 15 minutes without needing to shake my hands out to wake them up again.

As many other posters have shown Type-0 is a great game to play upscaled provided you have the specs for it, the controller support makes sense for the game.

ZeroX03

Banned
tfhbbp.jpg

keswjj.jpg

8x rendering resolution (so 4K downscaled), 4x HQ GLSL. Second picture has texture scaling at 4x, I didn't notice any errors. All steady at 30fps, this was on my laptop too, so any decent gaming rig should be able to do the same. Using latest dev build. Have not been able to get steady 30fps at any settings on SHIELD yet, which is strange, might need to wait for later builds.

Aeana

Wait, what's Inferno Drive and 333 MHz? I just have the .iso in my ISO folder.
What CFW are you using? This translation requires the Inferno ISO driver from 6.60 PRO-C. Press select on the XMB and you can see which ISO driver you're using and change it.

wmlk

What CFW are you using? This translation requires the Inferno ISO driver from 6.60 PRO-C. Press select on the XMB and you can see which ISO driver you're using and change it.
I have that. So are you also saying that CPU CLOCK GAME should be at 333/166?

Curious if anyone else has this problem, I've been playing this on ppsspp and it works perfectly at 10x rendering resolution and 5x texture scaling with no drops...except the mock battle kills my frame rate to the point where it's only okay at 1x render resolution and texture scaling off. Anyone have this problem and/or know a fix? It's kind of annoying to have to lower all the settings to minimum to do mock battles

wmlk

I don't think the game requires it to be at 333, but it'll always help games run more smoothly if you set it at that.

I have Inferno and an uncompressed .iso. So I was just wondering what else I needed from your previous post.

Renpatsu

I have that. So are you also saying that CPU CLOCK GAME should be at 333/166?

As Aeana has stated already running the CPU at 333 MHz helps the game run smoothly. The default PSP clockspeed is 222 MHz in order to conserve battery life, however with CFW you can run at the higher clock speed and noticeably improve the performance of games, doubly so with ISOs since the PSP doesn't have to load a UMD disc.

evanmisha

Been playing since the patch came out, and I'm passing out now after the first mission of chapter 3.

I'm liking it, but I'm not loving it.

stryke

Aeana, here's a quick guide I've typed up. I'm not creative enough to go full OT, just the essentials that can be put into the OP of this thread.

Anyone else can suggest formatting changes or improvements if they'd like.

What is this?

This is a English fan translation patch for Final Fantasy Type-0, the portable installment of the Fabula Nova Crystallis series that was released back in 2011. Formerly known as Final Fantasy Agito XIII, it was initially under development for mobiles until it transitioned to PSP in 2008. This is not to be confused with Final Fantasy Agito which is available on Android and iPhone in Japan which shares the same universe and characters but the stories are different.

After Square Enix showed little signs of bringing this title to the West, a computer science student by the name of Sky and his group took upon the localisation endeavour themselves and organised Operation Doomtrain at the beginning of 2013. They've now finished and released the patch on June 8, 2014.

Note - This quick guide is going to assume you already know how to install and work with CFW/PSP or eCFW/Vita but I'll include links if you need help

Where do I start?

Things you need:
  • A copy of the game
  • A PSP with CFW installed
  • PC (the patch is only available as an .exe right now)

First you must dump an ISO of a copy you own. Since the patch contains the complementary files of the other disc, you only need to dump ONE of the UMDs. [GUIDE] (thanks Zomba13)

Both the original and Ultimate Hits work with the patch and can be bought from but not limited to the following places:

AmiAmi
AmiAmi (Ultimate Hits)
Amazon
YesAsia
YesAsia (Ultimate Hits)

To dump ISOs, you'll need to have custom firmware (CFW) installed onto your PSP and a homebrew app like UMD Dumper or similar. If you need more info on CFW, click here. If you're planning to play on PSP as well, you should go with PRO CFW. The reason why will be explained later.

How do I patch the ISOs?

Download the patch from here

The patching process is very simple.

1. Open Final Fantasy Type-0 Patcher.exe
  2. Click on "Patch"
  3. Locate the ISO
  4. Select the location where you want to save the patched ISO
  5. Patching will then commence and done!

How can I play the game?

There are several ways in which you can play the game;

PSP - Place the game in the ISO folder of your memory stick and you're good to go. Since the resulting patched ISO is larger than 2GB, most UMD drivers don't work well with the game. However, PRO CFW includes the "Inferno" UMD driver which bypasses this problem and the game is fully playable on PSP.

The usual process of activating the Inferno driver is through the VSH menu or Recovery Menu on bootup.

Vita - If you're lucky enough to have a Vita with eCFW, Type-0 is playable on it too! Transfer the game through the exploited game save file or use FTP and place the game in the ISO folder. Just like PSP however, you'll need the Inferno driver for it to work. This is included in Total_Noob's TN-V8 eCFW so make sure you're up to date with that. Method of activation is the same as PSP.

If you have a Vita that's up to date with the latest official firmware, don't bother asking how to play the game on it right now. The opportunities to install eCFW are rare as Sony will quickly pull the game with the kernel exploit from the PSN store and release a new "stability" FW update soon after. If you really want it in the future, subscribe to the GAF Vita Homebrew thread or pay attention to wololo.net where the name of the game with a kernel exploit is occasionally released.

Emulation - Download their latest build of PPSSPP here. Available on Windows (32/64-bit) and Android. Benefits include high rendering resolutions, AA and playing with a DS3/DS4/360/ONE controller.

Version 0.9.8 does not contain the latest fixes that will play the game properly.

There are unofficial builds for OSX and iOS but I'm not sure how well they work with the game.

If you would like to show your appreciation, feel free to purchase the Gold version of PPSSPP, available on either PC or Android.

FAQ

I thought we had to merge both UMD discs before applying the translation patch?
Apparently that was the intention in the first place but for whatever reason that is no longer required. You can still apply the patch to a merged ISO but it is an unnecessary step.

Is there an SE Plugin version of the translation patch?
No

PPSSPP keeps crashing and the error says that it needs MSVCP120.dll
Download and install this - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784

I'm getting white shadows
Make sure you're on the latest build of PPSSPP, not their last stable 0.9.8 release.

This patch released earlier than expected, is there an announcement coming soon?
Don't know.

Why are X and O swapped?
Standard configuration of buttons in Japan. Deal with it.

My CFW is ____, do I still need to change to PRO?
I'm not that familiar with the CFW scene anymore but the Inferno driver is vital. If you don't have it, install 6.60 PRO.

How do I get my Dualshock 3/4 working on PC?
[GUIDE]Dualshock 3
[GUIDE]Dualshock 4

I'm getting some weird performance drops and my rig is BEAST.
Turn off Texture Scaling.

Renpatsu

My CFW is ____, do I still need to change to PRO?
I'm not that familiar with the CFW scene anymore but the Inferno driver is vital. If you don't have it, install 6.60 PRO.

"If you plan on playing on PSP the game requires the 'Inferno UMD ISO Mode' that is present in CFW 6.60 PRO-C. Not using the Inferno driver opens up the likelihood of gameplay glitches such as blank screens for movies and crashes."

Did you want an OT image or have you got something in mind?

I cannot believe I'm playing Final Fantasy Type-0

Gotta get some sleep for my shift tonight, was a bit pissed that I would be working and miss the E3 conferences live....but now I'll be playing Type-0! w00t!

Thanks to all involved!

SephiZack

Then I'll be skipping the cutscenes in XV as well. Why can't they just keep it all separate like XII and earlier?

Every Final Fantasy game is connected by words. Actually, this is usually the only way they are connected. Like almost every Summon/Aeon/G.F. name is the same in every game and many character names are reused

Nohar

Toriyama had nothing to do with Type-0. At all.

... I wasn't excited about this patch before, until you mentionned this.

Well, it seems I need to buy this game. I just hope that the gameplay will be more interesting than in Crisis Core (yes, I thought that Crisis Core was really slow and sluggish).

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Game keeps crashing at the same point for me, "This is recon, weve found one of the jammers" as soon as i walk to boss exe crashes (ppsspp latest build)

edit: It seems multithreading caused it, turned that off :p

WOOOOOOOOOOOW

Played a hour of the game , really loving it.

Why did SE not release this game again in the west? Mind boggling.

I want a vita release of this game, srsly. How it wasn't localized in time is beyond me.

It sold decent in Japan but unfortunately came out at the end of the system's lifespan by at which point it wasn't getting any high profile releases in the West. I'm sure they're thinking about remastering it for the Vita(and PS3/PS4) depending on FFX HD's sales. It's one of the most requested games, still crazy how Tales of Hearts R came out ahead, Tales community are organized lol.

aravuus

So I assume there are lots of missable scenes due to the limited free time?

Time to figure out how to get infinite time tbh, not because I want all the bonus items and such but because I want to see all the events. Not a fan of limited stuff like this.

Other than that I'm really liking it so far!

Guymelef

Emulation - Download their latest build of PPSSPP here. Available on Windows (32/64-bit) and Android. Benefits include high rendering resolutions, AA and playing with a DS3/DS4/360/ONE controller.

Version 0.9.8 does not contain the latest fixes that will play the game properly.

There are unofficial builds for OSX and iOS but I'm not sure how well they work with the game.

So should we wait to another Windows version for a better experience?

linkboy

Ah, the joy of having super slow, stupid internet (currently deployed).

Took me about 3 hours to download the patch, about 4 minutes to patch it, and another 2 hours to FTP it over to my Vita (scratch that, got OPENCMA to work so it didn't prompt for an update, thank god).

JudgeN

I can't believe i'm playing Type-0 in English thanks to the wonders of the internet. Its things like this that make me love the era I live in.

laoni

So I assume there are lots of missable scenes due to the limited free time?

Time to figure out how to get infinite time tbh, not because I want all the bonus items and such but because I want to see all the events. Not a fan of limited stuff like this.

Other than that I'm really liking it so far!

The game's built around New Game Plus, in fact, there are missions and scenes you can only see in a New Game Plus playthrough.

Everything gets carried over, so it makes it easy to play through

dcye

Man this crashes my PSP while launching it. I assume I have to update my CFW (its 3 years old) but seeing as though I installed it 3 years ago I have no idea how to actually do it. Anyone able to help me?

linkboy

Also; slightly unrelated but how hard/risky is it to CFW your vita?

It's not that hard or risky at all (everything is sandboxed in the PSP mode and can't touch the Vita side), the problem is that the window to do it has closed since Sony released firmware 3.15.

All of the games that the exploit used to install the CFW have been patched and Sony plugged the exploit up with 3.15.

When I get back from my deployment, I'm going to be picking up a second Vita, so that I can have one to keep current (for newer games\PSN access) and the one I have hacked for my PSP games (It's really hard for me to go back to my PSP after playing the Vita).

Hacking a Vita if you still want to play newer games just isn't worth it.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
Also; slightly unrelated but how hard/risky is it to CFW your vita?

CFW in this current state it the easiest it has ever been to install since now it's just lcfw. Just put on memory stick, press install, then done.

Edit: read wrong thought you were asking about psp at first.

Top Bottom