• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| |OT| Volunteer, coordinate, (index), create

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Nah, I think it's neat for games we know are going to be crap. Like Time and Eternity's NA thread or RK's SaGa 2 thread. Those were good.

You're right, though. It's not our jobs to advertise games. Companies' PR is there for that reason. We just make threads for people to talk about games in and just list media/release dates/pertinent info for a post that people probably won't look at 3 pages in (and I know that from prior experience -- "dude, I wrote that in the op. :/"). If I recall correctly, your Rayman Origins thread from a few years ago was fine and had sufficient information with sufficient media. That's all you really need, tbh.

Oh, I'm all about non-serious OT's. The more the better. I just meant someone specifically trying to imitate the tone and style of the past DA threads for the next one wouldn't be that interesting.

Dawg

I guess I came off a little harsh, but as long as you cover all the essential info about the game and update it if needed, you should do whatever you want with it. Don't worry so much about what other people are expecting. Just have fun. If you create something you're proud of, people will most likely respond positively to it anyways.

Woops, I missed this post. Don't worry, I didn't think your post was harsh at all tbh. I guess I do care too much what people might think about an OT sometimes, I just want to make something that pleases everyone without too much BS replies. In any case, thanks for the responses :p

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Did anyone claim X or Hyrule Warriors?
Yes, and yes.

I noticed that X was claimed, then unclaimed, then claimed again when I used the search function for this thread.

If you really want to assist in making the threads for either of these games, you could always contact these users to ask if they would like assistance. As Stump said, this does not need to be a one-person job.

Dawg

Nemesis, you can add The Witcher 3 to february 2015 when you do the next update.

Which reminds me, if any photoshop wizard would like to help out with the graphics of that OT... throw me a PM.

Wes

venison crêpe
Just in case anyone comes in to this thread searching for World Cup OT info, the thread will be going up either Sunday evening or Monday morning.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Alrighty then, my Sniper Elite 3 OT is 100% to go. How long is ideal before posting it? A week or two before release?

I could post now but I'd imagine E3 will swamp it.

Nemesis_

Me and Satch will be collaborating on Scalebound, no doubt in the near future. It's early days but I'm just expressing interest now. :)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
There really shouldn't be a rush to claim games that are not releasing for 18+ months. Again, there's no rule against it. But it's really not necessary.

Are you allowed to claim an OT when you don't even know the release date? Seems kinda funky.

It's honestly pretty annoying. I don't bother to do OTs anymore because people claim them literally at announcement or often even at vague rumors (there's a fucking Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon Wii U claim in the OP). This really isn't in the spirit of things.

iNvid02

yeah its becoming pretty rare for an OT not to be claimed ages in advance now, was surprised nobody wanted to do child of light a few weeks before it was due out though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I do wish those new OT guidelines either got more publicity or that the OT thread as a whole got stickied in the gaming forum/OT forum proper for more transparency, but I might be one of the handful of people who think that.

To be honest, I feel like the "no claiming things at the drop of an announcement without a release date/gamespot/best buy listing/twitter rumour" suggestion should probably be enforced a little harder. It really is kind of unfair, and some people end up claiming the same threads in a series so you see the same people make the same threads (or the same kinds of threads) with little variation.

Radec

Imagine if The Last Guardian was announced today, someone would have claimed its OT few minutes after its announcement..

then wait for 8 years to actually post that OT.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It's honestly pretty annoying. I don't bother to do OTs anymore because people claim them literally at announcement or often even at vague rumors (there's a fucking Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon Wii U claim in the OP). This really isn't in the spirit of things.

Same. I mean, it's not something I'm losing sleep over, but it's fun to do an OT every now and then but people snap them up at the slightest whiff of a game's existence. I've also seen people get maybe just a little greedy in the amount of claims they make. I know there's not really a good solution to this, it comes down to the poster's personal judgement, but it is a little annoying.

Frolow

Banned

Completely agree. There needs to be some hard rules in place for when you're able to claim an OT (E.g. Specific release dates, general release dates, or the first unveiling.)

Dawg

Problem is, NeoGAF is pretty big so there's bound to be someone who will snag the OT. I'm all for waiting till we get actual info about a game (release date etc) but that's pretty difficult without a set rule. What Stump added is a good code to live by, but not everyone will see it and people will still grab an OT the moment something is teased. I recall someone claiming the project beast OT a while ago, that is simply too soon, no?

I can imagine that feels unfair to people who prefer waiting for more info.

I am surprised nobody took Uncharted 4 yet

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Problem is, NeoGAF is pretty big so there's bound to be someone who will snag the OT. I'm all for waiting till we get actual info about a game (release date etc) but that's pretty difficult without a set rule. What Stump added is a good code to live by, but not everyone will see it and people will still grab an OT the moment something is teased. I recall someone claiming the project beast OT a while ago, that is simply too soon, no?

I can imagine that feels unfair to people who prefer waiting for more info.

I am surprised nobody took Uncharted 4 yet
Yeah, hence my idea to just put the OT thread as a sticky on one of the main forums. No one's going to see these rules unless either this thread is a sticky, or the new rules are highlighted in the forums.

I also see some people try to claim as many threads as they can, which is also unfair, going back to what Snuggles was saying. It's hard to regulate that sort of stuff and it would be a bit unfair to say "you snagged a thread this month, you can't make an OT for the next x amount of weeks". So I do hope people exercise more judgement in the future.

Nemesis_

I don't know HOW MANY TIMES I've had to clarify this but any of the ridiculous claims are in the OT before the rule was put in place. Please, I'm trying to make this as fair as possible.

I've removed Luigi's Mansion anyway because it doesn't look like it's happening anyway.

Thread updated, christ. Thanks mods for your intervention, I appreciate it.

I do wish those new OT guidelines either got more publicity or that the OT thread as a whole got stickied in the gaming forum/OT forum proper for more transparency, but I might be one of the handful of people who think that.

To be honest, I feel like the "no claiming things at the drop of an announcement without a release date/gamespot/best buy listing/twitter rumour" suggestion should probably be enforced a little harder. It really is kind of unfair, and some people end up claiming the same threads in a series so you see the same people make the same threads (or the same kinds of threads) with little variation.

I agree. I, to my own fault, prematurely claimed Fallout 4 when everyone was so certain it'd get announced, but we all know how that turned out. I'd still love to do it when the game finally gets announced, but since we don't know when that is, I don't consider my 'claim' valid.

Maybe we should go through the list and actually check which games have been announced already, and get rid of the ones that haven't been.

BiggNife

I don't know HOW MANY TIMES I've had to clarify this but any of the ridiculous claims are in the OT before the rule was put in place. Please, I'm trying to make this as fair as possible.

I've removed Luigi's Mansion anyway because it doesn't look like it's happening anyway.

If it were up to me I think all of the ridiculous claims should be removed, period, but that's up to the mods. I think the fact that a dude claimed the Hitman 6 OT the week before Hitman 5 came out is fucking absurd.

Also, my personal opinion is that we should at least know what time of year (Q1, first half, holiday, whatever) before an OT gets claimed.

Also Also, you have to accept the fact that not everyone is going to go through this thread and look at all of your responses every time someone asks you a question. Sorry dude, but that's the responsibility you picked up when you decided to manage this thread. Not really fair to bitch at people about it.

molnizzle

Also Also, you have to accept the fact that not everyone is going to go through this thread and look at all of your responses every time someone asks you a question. Sorry dude, but that's the responsibility you picked up when you decided to manage this thread. Not really fair to bitch at people about it.

Yeah, the "rules" for claiming an OT need to be defined perfectly in the main post of this thread.

Is it okay to claim something at first reveal?

Does a release date need to be announced first?

What about leaks?

That stuff needs to be explicitly outlined. It comes with the territory with a forum of NeoGAF's size — especially when said forum is continuing to grow at record pace.

Right, it's a shitty thing that exists, not necessarily a shitty thing that persists.

Nemesis_

But someone did reserve it back when the footage was leaked, right?

Yeah they did but we all said it was way too premature so we left it. That person is welcome to collaborate with somebody else, they've expressed their interest and made it known they want to work on it.

If it were up to me I think all of the ridiculous claims should be removed, period, but that's up to the mods. I think the fact that a dude claimed the Hitman 6 OT the week before Hitman 5 came out is fucking absurd.

I know, as I've said, the "absurd" ones that remain are still there. But I am considering removing them just to stop the people complaining.

Also, my personal opinion is that we should at least know what time of year (Q1, first half, holiday, whatever) before an OT gets claimed.

I think this is fair, but I do worry that it will create a bottleneck of people perching to reserve or start working on an OT. Perhaps we should just do it anyway. But would we care about films? Films gets monthly release dates way ahead of time.

If we're really going to get down to it then I didn't really pick this part of the responsibility. When this thread started, nobody was indexing the claims and it was just going to be a thread that people would HAVE to search through. There were no "rules" and people could just talk about whatever they want and say they were working on whatever they want.

So if we're splitting hairs, no I didn't ask for this particular responsibility. But whatever, I don't mind doing it, but the rigmarole has been tiring the past few days / weeks. If we decide on rules it'll probably get better and people will stop complaining / being snarky.

Yeah, the "rules" for claiming an OT need to be defined perfectly in the main post of this thread.

Is it okay to claim something at first reveal?

Does a release date need to be announced first?

What about leaks?

That stuff needs to be explicitly outlined. It comes with the territory with a forum of NeoGAF's size — especially when said forum is continuing to grow at record pace.

I agree. This is perhaps something we could work on together as a community throughout June and July since they are such quiet months once E3 is done. Although I feel like if we were going to do something we'd kind of need to get a moderator involved too and I don't want to bother them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom