• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Code Name S.T.E.A.M. (IntSys 3DS) Assets (Box, Screens)

SykoTech

Valkyria Chronicles
Cel shaded
Steampunk

Sounded like a recipe for phenomenal visuals, and yet....ew.

Still interested in gameplay, but that's a bit of a hype killer.

As someone who likes Kirby art (I'm not a huge diehard fan that has read all his titles, I just like his art and I'm familiar with it), this doesn't really look that much like Kirby art at all outside of the poses (and the foreshortening it creates) and the ink dot shading effect. This reminds me more of Elite Beat Agents or Ouendan than silver age comics.

Either way, I'm still excited. Gameplay sounds sublime on paper, now I just want to see it in action.

Neiteio

I think a lot of people are going to end up making a 180 on this and end up liking the art style. The Kirby dots look so good.

Salsa

I love the way the game sounds, but Jesus is it hideous. It not only has a horrible artstyle that looks like a cheap kids cartoon but the graphics also look like something you'd expect from a tie in with a kids cartoon. I hope they hear the criticism of the art and change it because this game is so ugly it's almost offensive.

How is it offensive..?

the reason why it looks like a tie in with a Saturday morning cartoon type thing is because.. that's the point. I get not liking it but they didn't fail at what they're going for.

the whole description and tone of the game gives sense to these types of square jaw cartoon/comic guys

they're clearly going for that

I do feel like it has been done before tho, specially on mobile and whatnot, which can cheapen it.

it makes me think of freedom force and that's good

LuuKyK

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Talk about disappointment. No wonder they talked about it before showing it. The art style and everything else looks like the epitome of boring and repulsive. To me at least. Whats up with the Gears of War look-a-like protagonist? No Nintendo, just no.

Eusis

I think a lot of people are going to end up making a 180 on this and end up liking the art style. The Kirby dots look so good.
Probably depends on in-game performance. I'm not particularly fond of it myself, but no sense in letting an art style I don't care for blocking me from playing a game I'd like, so long as it's not actively hideous at least (which this isn't.)

I think the art looks good, once you notice the Kirby dots (as in, the dot-pattern-based style of the legendary Jack Kirby). The dots really tie together the art design nicely. I also like the retro color scheme they're using here.

I also have a feeling that the sharply-delineated shadows will look really nice in-game and in stereo 3D.

The dots are not a signature Kirby element, it was due to the coloring process for comics at the time.

No, I don't think so, this is one of the worst looking games(from a visual stand point) I've ever seen. It is hideous, no exaggeration. Kirby dots on shit doesn't make it look good, it's still shit. The game also doesn't have the dots btw.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah, it's not doing well with that cover.

The cover look is tiny. Look for the big sized one. It's beautiful.

Something about the art makes me think of a knockoff JJBA... interested to see the Treehouse stuff tomorrow.

What's the american version for GOGOGOGOGOGO/menaching sfx

I love the way the game sounds, but Jesus is it hideous. It not only has a horrible artstyle that looks like a cheap kids cartoon but the graphics also look like something you'd expect from a tie in with a kids cartoon. I hope they hear the criticism of the art and change it because this game is so ugly it's almost offensive.

Hah, cheap cartoons DREAM to look like something from the cover.

As for the screenies, well... handheld game.

Really, it seems like people expected anime aesthetics due to the genre even though it's explained that it's more American.

Tucah

you speak so well
The style really isn't doing it for me but I hope the gameplay delivers. I mean, it's IntSys so I have complete faith that it will but man that style is not appealing at all to me.

Lunar15

Y'know, I actually had a feeling it'd look like this when I heard who the art director was:

fe9-4.jpg

So yeah, in game art was never his strong point.

This is one of my favorite games of all time.

Anony

personally, i do not like the artstyle that much, but it's not bad, it's very fitting with the american super hero theme they have going
graphically speaking, it looks pretty good, fits the artsytle

is everyone buttmad because they wanted anime art style because this is suppose to be a jrpg?

Art looks like some turd from Zynga. I would literally kill myself if someone saw me playing this in public.

And Sticker Star sucked, although that was less of IntSys' fault than it was Miyamoto's.

hitgirl

Art style is fine. Is it not anime enough for Gaf? Not enough big eyes? Not enough stupid female haircuts on men? You guys...

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Talk about disappointment. No wonder they talked about it before showing it. The art style and everything else looks like the epitome of boring and repulsive. To me at least. Whats up with the Gears of War look-a-like protagonist? No Nintendo, just no.

Wow. That it, Im done, this thread is just crazy.

Ryker

It was a thousand times better in my head. Man, it looks totally different than I thought it would. I was expecting designs akin to valkyria chronicles lol. Rich, vibrant, colorful and a much larger scope. I'm still willing to give this game a shot because the gameplay sounds really interesting, but it's completely different than what I imagined it would look like.

The cover look is tiny. Look for the big sized one. It's beautiful.

What's the american version for GOGOGOGOGOGO/menaching sfx

Hah, cheap cartoons DREAM to look like something from the cover.

As for the screenies, well... handheld game.

Really, it seems like people expected anime aesthetics due to the genre even though it's explained that it's more American.

No, I expected something that looked like this.
jack-kirby-collector-47.png

Instead we got what looks like a mid 2000's cartoon that was made to sell toys that got canceled after a single season because no one liked it. They failed to do what they set out to do from an art style perspective.

Neiteio

The dots are not a signature Kirby element, it was due to the coloring process for comics at the time.
If they were going for that it would be uniform. Rather it seems like a combination of the two: evoking the coloring process for comics at the time, arranged in patterns like the actual "Kirby dots," seen below. You can note this on the "shafts" of dots in select places on the cover.

kirbydots.jpg

mantidor

I guess Nintendo is the only developer out there that could name its game "S.T.E.A.M" in this day and age.

Screens look ugly as every screen form the 3DS does, will wait for video.

Busaiku

Instead we got what looks like a mid 2000's cartoon that was made to sell toys that got canceled after a single season because no one liked it. They failed to do what they set out to do from an art style perspective.
Yeah, that's how I feel too.

Boss Doggie

Actually, with the way they explained, I expected more like this

fftitle-1.jpg

And the cover shot pretty much made me think that

Art looks like some turd from Zynga. I would literally kill myself if someone saw me playing this in public.

And Sticker Star sucked, although that was less of IntSys' fault than it was Miyamoto's.

wut

Zinga has this "app art style" shit prevalent from mobile games. This ain't that.

Yagharek

I'll reserve judgement on the art style til I see it in motion, but I reckon it looks good in the images so far. Just a preference thing.

Love the concept though from what we have been told so far.

Damn... It almost looks like that style is by design.

"We'll take this IS developed action/srpg, with steampunk setting, mechanics similar to Valkyra Chronicles and possibly Xcom, and wacky plot... then coat that with a very out-of-left field aesthetic." Talk about testing gamer's Gameplay > Graphics philosophy, and putting our money where our mouths are.

...I'll take that bet though: Day 1.

Slightly peeved that they said their inspirations were Mike Mignola and Jack Kirby. I absolutely adore them and kinda sad that they didn't pick up on those artist's use of composition; everything feels so scattershot, design wise. Hope it looks good in motion.

Pikma

Banned

Ow, you're one of those pretty sad humans, poor little creature.

Griss

Just got back from dinner. So this was it? The big 3DS reveal? Looks absolutely hideous. Between this and the two Miyamoto projects, it's clear that the stuff that was kept out of the conference was kept out because it would have looked terrible.

I like the idea of this game, and I like new IPs. But the game is simply butt ugly from what I can tell, both graphically and in terms of art style. Hugely disappointed that this is what Intelligent Systems has been up to.

Boss Doggie

Or you know, it looks nothing like a silver age comic book like they said it would.

Eh, if anything it looks more like Mignola-ish. Also from the look of things I think the "silver age" comment was phoned in.

I said Ben 10 era, as in in the same time frame and targeting the same audience.

And they would dream they have some semblance of style like this.

The vita is stronger and is a lot more photogenic.

I think 3DS games look awesome.
There's so much stuff on this screen though and it's hard to tell what is what.

Part of that is bad art direction, part of that is visual systems I have no frame of reference for in the screenshots...

I don't know, you can compare these screens to screens from any of Nintendo's other first party 3DS games and it would stand out. Not in a good way.

Video will clear up some things

Top Bottom