• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marlow Briggs & the Mask of Death is $0.99 on Steam. Makes God of War look like shit

kamandi

An entertaining game. What is more weird is, its actual price is 4.99 usd, which is very cheap for that kind of game already.

kd-z

Watched the trailer on the Steam page.

What the fuck is this shit.

I think I need it.

Thanks for the tip, OP!

LJS0CH0.png
tumblr_lpg3so4bvm1qiy6q1.gif

Bought the game. Thanks for the tip!

Durante

Wow, what engine does this game use? Extremely impressive performance.
(Of course, marred by no settings to speak off and forced FXAA)

Yuterald

Bought. Looks too bad/funny to pass up. I think I'll need to play this game in conjunction with Unearthed: Trail of Ibn Battuta for a supreme session of ass-tier gaming.

gogogow

PathEngine.

Other notable games that used this engine: Kinect Sport Rivals, Metro Last Light, Shadow of Mordor.

Just Cause 2 and The Witcher 2 are also listed games. Maybe they are using parts of PathEngine? Or their own engine is based on PathEngine?

Beelzebubs

If only I had one more card to sell. Don't get paid til Tuesday and 20p short :p Will have to wait for my next Summer Card to drop from points contributions.

gngf123

PathEngine.

Other notable games that used this engine: Kinect Sport Rivals, Metro Last Light, Shadow of Mordor.

Just Cause 2 and The Witcher 2 are also listed games. Maybe they are using parts of PathEngine? Or their own engine is based on PathEngine?

Pretty sure that's just for pathfinding. Could be custom. I'm not seeing an engine mentioned anywhere except for stuff like Bullet for physics.

Some things remind me of Unreal, but only because of a weird flicker effect that I have only seen before in other UE games. It almost certainly isn't UE though, would have seen the logo on start up.

I bought this and I've been playing it for about a half-hour. It's everything promised in the OP: a hilarious God of War clone that nails the mechanics and has good pacing. Runs well too (I've got a dual-core Intel 5200 and a Radeon 5670 - no hitches).

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I've been hankering for a combat action game... is this how it ends?

From this thread I've gathered that "haha the story is so dumb it's good" etc., but how is the action? How are the combat scenarios?

Grief.exe

Those screenshots look a lot better than on the XBLA version. Two Best Friends looked at this a while back and got super hyped about it

Good chance those screenshots were taken at 4K or higher. I'm on mobile so I haven't checked them out, but that is generally the way of things.

Mechazawa

Gave the game a fair shot as a character action game fan when it was 2.50 a few weeks ago and my time with it was straight awful.

Don't believe their lies.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I have an old-ass CPU and this game is like butter on my PC, so it's either your video card or the game not liking you.

I watched that video and he really wanted to hate this game and just couldn't. I laughed.

Xander51

This game, much like Zootfly's Expendables game, is surprisingly and consistently awesome.

Glad I noticed the OP, picked this up and loving it.

wsippel

Banned
Bought it, played it for two hours until a memory leak brought it down. It's fun and actually surprisingly competent. Obviously not AAA or anything, and the story is dumb as hell, but I've payed much more for significantly worse and less entertaining games. And while the story is stupid, the writing seems quite good so far and is at times really funny. It's totally self-conscious.

So yeah, strongly recommended. It's a buck very well spent.

akira28

hehe I tried to give it a touch of the ol GeDoSaTo Durante magick and it just stared at me. But holy shit it runs 2880x1800 out of the box. And fast too.

Best gaming dollar I think I've ever spent.

edit: dat whip blade for 150+ hit combos. I've never played God of War, but I get a definite Bayonetta vibe as well. The only thing I hate is the grab/throw move. If you hit the wrong button, he just stands there looking like a fool, holding his enemy in the air by the neck until someone hitstuns him.

Man, payed 22 minutes and it crashed 3 times. Why must PC gaming be so problematic?

Deleted it and am reinstalling to a different drive.

I'm not a huge fan of this game. I think the combat is pretty tedious.. but I did enjoy the turret sequences where there's a comically absurd amount of helicopters constantly exploding.

Tizoc

edit: dat whip blade for 150+ hit combos. I've never played God of War, but I get a definite Bayonetta vibe as well. The only thing I hate is the grab/throw move. If you hit the wrong button, he just stands there looking like a fool, holding his enemy in the air by the neck until someone hitstuns him.

The true Black Simon Belmont.

I should take a snapshot of that one combo where he jumps backwards while spinning the whip, shit is too good.

Somebody better post some gifs or webms in here. I wanna see some hilarity.

If it's as decent as you guys make it out to be I'll get it on the final sale date.

Game chugs a bit during scene transitions on my computer but the other 90% of the time runs just fine. Can't really complain for 99 cents, especially since it's kind of fun as hell.

Tizoc

I'm surprised some people are having problems running the game, while my lappy is a gaming laptop, from what I've seen of it seems as if older models can still run this game without a hitch, at worst on Low settings >_>;

Top Bottom