• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS4 thumb sticks might have a problem?

Fliesen

Just ordered a pair of Xbox One thumbsticks for my DS4. Which screwdriver do I need to open it? I'll probably order one too.

small one. Size 0 or below, afaik.

if you don't have any, maybe get some (bent or straight) needle nose pliers. I think one of the ribbon cables is a bitch to re-attach by hand.

edit:
dBTsEZ1H1cwiwRBY.medium
that one

Just for future reference, is there any difference between original and third party Xbox One analogy sticks?
As far as I can tell, they're exactly the same. I wouldn't be surprised if the company selling the individual sticks are actually making the sticks for Microsoft as well.

Duxxy3

Just for future reference, is there any difference between original and third party Xbox One analogy sticks?

The ring might be raised a little higher than normal, and the rough outer rim might have a crease. That's about it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
When I got my new DS4, I noticed really minor things that had been improved outside of the new rubber on the sticks. The face buttons and dpad had a more matte feel to them, and they clicked better. The touch pad was more clicky and less mushy. The whole controller felt more solid, where my launch one creaked when twisted a bit. Tiny things that all add up to a great feel.

The one thing I noticed that was worse about the new controller was my R2 started squeaking when pressed. Now today I noticed my L2 is starting to squeak, but the R2 is sounding ok. Go figure.

I haven't really noticed anything different about my new one. Touch pad is just as mushy as the old one. Can you tell by the serial number or something how new the controller is, or what batch it's from?

Same controller that has the left thumbstick wearing out now has a new issue: The R2 button has started to get stuck. It just happened today. I guess all that pressing while playing FFXIV has really paid off :/

Bought 10 XB1 sticks for 10 bucks off of ebay. Replaced the sticks on my two controllers (one of which had peeling stick) and will probably replace a coworkers sticks as well. Other than having to adjust my aiming in BF4, not having any problems at all.

Bought 10 XB1 sticks for 10 bucks off of ebay. Replaced the sticks on my two controllers (one of which had peeling stick) and will probably replace a coworkers sticks as well. Other than having to adjust my aiming in BF4, not having any problems at all.

Who did you get your sticks from? I'm trying to find some nice ones on there but don't wanna pay a ton for them.

There are plenty ebay auctions for a pair of Xbox One analogs for $1.50-$2.00 with free shipping.

Everything I see is for like $8+ a pair. Has anybody tried the Aluminum Alloy ones? Just curious to see if they work well with the controllers at all. I feel those would be really durable and last a lifetime.

Santar

Sony should just go back to the PS3 material for the analogue sticks, my first Sixaxis controller still works like a charm after six years. No squeeky R buttons or nothing, and it's been used a lot.

They very fact that no other console has had a thread like this about their controllers is a obvious sign that something is not right about the quality of the Dualshock 4.
They can't be saving THAT much on skimping on the quality can they?

I'm not having too much of problem with the sticks but I haven't played a shooting game yet. That being said I desperately wish I could do this with the DS4 triggers. Any mods for tha?

RedAssedApe

Banned
for those doing stick mods did swapping out the sticks make (holding) L3 sprint feel better in FPSes? i'm not experiencing this rubber issue but i hate how uncomfortable L3 sprinting feels on the DS4.

i can do the same on 360 sticks all day long but not on ds4. could be a grip issue but on ds4 it feels difficult to keep L3 press registered when attempting any kind of directional movement. super annoying on games that have unlimited sprint and you need to use it a ton to cover large distances (bf4) or if you want to do some quick stop and start sprinting (cod).

Just had my fourth DS4 delivered today (3rd replacement). Doesn't bother me too much since they've all been replaced for free, but the thumb stick issues are becoming a bit of a nuisance.

ethomaz

Banned
Well.

Two controllers... launch day and other Feb.

Still looks new after over 600 hours of play... 300 hours only on Warframe.

d0c_zaius

UFC submissions ripped and frayed the rubber on the right analog stick. 2 controllers in less than a week of playing. Both were launch controllers with no probs before hand.

EAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaa

Jedi2016

I know this hasn't got anything to do with analogy sticks, but has anyone else's R1 button started to stick?
That's a well-known issue, you can find easy fixes for it anywhere. Just some leftover manufacturing goop under the switch, just pop it off and clean it out. Should be plenty to find on Google for this one.

for those doing stick mods did swapping out the sticks make (holding) L3 sprint feel better in FPSes? i'm not experiencing this rubber issue but i hate how uncomfortable L3 sprinting feels on the DS4.
XBO sticks are way better for this due to the deep depression in the top (it's deeper than X360 sticks). Definitely preferred for holding the button down and moving at the same time.

LAM09

That's a well-known issue, you can find easy fixes for it anywhere. Just some leftover manufacturing goop under the switch, just pop it off and clean it out. Should be plenty to find on Google for this one.

Cheers. I had a similar issue with my DS3 aswell, as the dirt/goo builds up quite quickly.

Purexed

Banned
UFC submissions ripped and frayed the rubber on the right analog stick. 2 controllers in less than a week of playing. Both were launch controllers with no probs before hand.

Same here on both my controllers. Sony really fucked up with the build quality.

RedAssedApe

Banned

XBO sticks are way better for this due to the deep depression in the top (it's deeper than X360 sticks). Definitely preferred for holding the button down and moving at the same time.

on that note has anyone tried the Kontrol FPS Freeks Vortexes?

http://www.kontrolfreek.com/fps/fps-freek-vortex.html

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just did the Xbox One sticks mod. Got tired of my thumbs slipping off the sticks after extended play on my DS4. Didn't have a problem with the rubber falling apart though.

qDrww6b.jpg

The sticks are a bit higher so that will take some getting used to, but otherwise it feels fantastic.

Oh wow this looks awesome. My DS4 sticks are fine but in my short time with the XBO controller I loved the texturing on them.

Same with me.

I put some covers on mine, and they seem to be fine now.

Mentok

Banned
Imru’ al-Qays;119789450 said:
So is the quality of newer batches of DS4s improved, or are we still seeing the same issues?

I bought my PS4 a month ago and am noticing wear-and-tear on my right analog stick. It's so weird because I:

a) Haven't gamed a LOT since getting it (maybe on average 7-10 hours a week)
b) Don't rough-handle my controllers.

I'm contemplating buying the XB1 sticks, but don't know how simple the replacement process is.

Gray Matter

I wish I could mod my DS4 with the X1 sticks but I don't want to fuck up my DS4.

So I just bought some grip guard things hoping for better durability of my controller

nOoblet16

The thimbsticks start wearing out quick that's true. But I am having some issues with one of my DS4 left stick, tilting left would actually make the moment as if I am diagonally tilting the thimbstick to the upper left corner and tilting right would be like tilting diagonally towards the lower right corner.

It's annoying while playing games because I can't strafe properly now. I wonder how this was caused.

I think the build quality of DS4 is not very good plus with the bad battery life you get a very average controller no matter how comfortable and precise it is.

terrible

Banned
I bought my PS4 a month ago and am noticing wear-and-tear on my right analog stick. It's so weird because I:

a) Haven't gamed a LOT since getting it (maybe on average 7-10 hours a week)
b) Don't rough-handle my controllers.

I'm contemplating buying the XB1 sticks, but don't know how simple the replacement process is.

It's very simple. The only "hard" part is getting the controller apart once you unscrew it. It took quite a bit of force to get it apart for me. Everything else was really simple. Just make sure you have a Phillips #00 or similar screwdriver and a pair of tweezers for the ribbon cables.

Also watch out for garbage Xbox One joysticks on ebay. I bought a lot of 20 (from perfeestore on ebay) and the majority of them were entirely made out of hard plastic, so no rubber for the grippy part. Unusable.

Mentok

Banned
It's very simple. The only "hard" part is getting the controller apart once you unscrew it. It took quite a bit of force to get it apart for me. Everything else was really simple. Just make sure you have a Phillips #00 or similar screwdriver and a pair of tweezers for the ribbon cables.

Also watch out for garbage Xbox One joysticks on ebay. I bought a lot of 20 (from perfeestore on ebay) and the majority of them were entirely made out of hard plastic, so no rubber for the grippy part. Unusable.

Thanks for the vid! I'll definitely consider this an option! I hope Sony fixes this issue with future controllers.

LAM09

How do you go about getting a new DS4 from Sony, as the plastic below the R1 button has broken?

The same thing happened to my DS3, and I don't know how. I don't smash the buttons.

ph00p

Banned
Just did the Xbox One sticks mod. Got tired of my thumbs slipping off the sticks after extended play on my DS4. Didn't have a problem with the rubber falling apart though.

qDrww6b.jpg

The sticks are a bit higher so that will take some getting used to, but otherwise it feels fantastic.

Who did you buy those from?

I really need a good source that has the real sticks, I got some from Ebay and they were all over the place quality wise, 7 garbage 3 OKish.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I have had my PS4 since launch, and I noticed the analogy sticks started to wear quite quickly. I purchased some grips soon after to combat the issue, and they are doing the job so far.
Did the same and got the same grips, seems to have protected them from anymore wear, although mine only became smooth, no rips yet.
Just ordered some of those XONE sticks to try them put out.

PSOreo

When I was buying a new controller I noticed the completely destroyed analogue sticks on the display demo. As I was explaining to my partner how the sticks are said to be known to deteriorate, one of the employees working in the store decided to stop me and inform us that it was just the early launch batch that was like that and that the newer ones were much improved. Wonder how true that was.
I'll see if this new controller holds up, although saying that I've only seen alight wear on my original controller.

When I was buying a new controller I noticed the completely destroyed analogue sticks on the display demo. As I was explaining to my partner how the sticks are said to be known to deteriorate, one of the employees working in the store decided to stop me and inform us that it was just the early launch batch that was like that and that the newer ones were much improved. Wonder how true that was.
I'll see if this new controller holds up, although saying that I've only seen alight wear on my original controller.

My girlfriend bought a Watch Dogs bundle last weekend. She had to replace the controller in the week, so unless they're getting rid of the old batches, nope.

ph00p

Banned
I just replaced the sticks, out of my pack of 10 there were ones that didn't properly stick to the DS4 sticks, I ended up with 2 ok sticks,just be wary when you get these off of ebay.
Taking it apart wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, I had to reset the springs because one came out, so I'm good with that now, also I was too savage when taking the touchpad out so I actually hauled the cable out of the inside of the touchpad case itself, so I had to take that apart too, then I was too savage with the ribbon that connects the light bar and the micro usb connecter.

TL;DR: TAKE YOUR TIME, very easy "repair".

nib95

Banned
My review of the Xbox One thumbsticks with the DS4.

Xbox One analogue sticks on the Dualshock 4 (PS4) controller | Review

So they finally arrived, and I got around to testing them out, so here are my impressions.

Installation.

Firstly, installation is quite easy. I would suggest using some tweezers instead of pliers to unclip the touch pad cable, but it won't make much difference. It comes out really easily. Just remember, the bit you unclip is the bit that's attached to the motherboard (the part that has the battery on it). Not the bit that goes up in to the touchpad itself.

After you've done it once, you can do it again in under 2 minutes. It's a breeze.

The Xbox One sticks themselves.

They look nice. No rubber like the DS4 sticks, instead it's straight plastic, but the quality is good. I'd say the overall finishing with the finer details (underneath the sticks, around the seams etc) is a tad less high quality than the DS4 sticks, but overall it's still very well made. Especially the grippy bits around stick edges themselves, which are really well done.

The Xbox One stick shaft width is exactly the same size as the DS4's, so you won't lose or gain any control range when moving the sticks around, at least from a physical standpoint. The actual section that clips on to the internals is also near enough exactly the same size as the port moulds on the DS4 sticks, so they fit completely snuggly.

Comparing the the Xbox One sticks with the DS4's.

There are some slight but noticeable differences between the sticks, the most obvious being that the XO's sticks are actually taller than the DS4's. This makes them feel a good degree looser, and less torqued. They feel lighter to move around, and slightly less precise, but with more range. Despite being taller, your thumbs do not ever meet or touch, not even close. The difference is somewhat similar to how the DS3 sticks felt compared to the 360 sticks. With the DS4 sticks being the tighter one's this time around.

The XO sticks thumb area is also ever so slightly less wide than the DS4's, giving marginally less surface area overall. This, coupled with the rubber finish on the DS4's, plus the lesser height, does make the DS4's a touch more comfortable to rest your thumbs on, and in overall controller ergonomics, but it's a marginal difference. Both feel great.

Having said that, the XO's sticks do provide better grip overall. The concave centre, coupled with the gripped ridge, seems to lock your thumbs in place better than the DS4 sticks do, where some slippage can occur from time to time, so if you're someone who finds the DS4 sticks lacking in grip, you may want to consider the XO sticks.

Control.

Control wise, they actually play quite different. The DS4 sticks feel tighter and more focused, more precise. Whereas the XO sticks seem to be looser and offer more delicacy in movement or range. If you prefer looser sticks, and sticks that provide less resistance to your thumbs, take note. For those that prefer added resistance and torque, stick with the DS4's.

Playing some InFamous, Shadow Fall and Rayman, all played well on both, but I couldn't help but feel the DS4 sticks just offered a touch more balance. The biggest difference was with Killzone, where aiming felt a lot more robust and manageable using the DS4 sticks. With the XO sticks, I'd overstep my aim by a fraction here and there, and had to dial back my movement to make up for the lack of resistance and added play in movement.

Unfortunately I didn't have any racing games to test, but I do have a hunch that the XO sticks will work much better with racing games. I've always found the DS3 sticks good with racing games as looser, more ranged sticks work well to imitate steering, where tightness can have negative implications.

Here's a comparison breakdown.

Overall Finish: DS4 sticks > XO sticks
Design: XO sticks > DS4 sticks
Comfort: DS4 sticks > XO sticks
Grip: XO sticks > DS4 sticks
Durability: XO sticks > DS4 sticks
Control: DS4 sticks > XO sticks

Conclusion.

If you preferred the looser feel of the Dualshock 3 (PS3) analogue sticks, and find the DS4 sticks to lack in sufficient grip, this little mod with the XO sticks may be perfect for you. For me however, I still prefer the overall feel and control of the DS4 sticks. And that would make sense given developers are designing specifically around it. Both work great, but overallI I feel the DS4 sticks just offer that touch extra precision and balance. It's just a shame they have the rubber wear issue.

Photo's (S5 cropped mobile shots!)

komplanen

I was holding off on this but I saw that I can get original Xbone thumbsticks for a little over 10€ shipped to Finland and the package has 10 sticks in it. Even if the quality wasn't super great I'm hoping to get at least my current controller and a spare pair for a possible second controller out of it.

Oh and I'm replacing mine because my greasy fat fingers keep sliding on the PS4 sticks. I'm hoping the concave shape and the edge "nipples" help with this. The rubber on the new controller is just fine.

One of my sticks finally "tore" while my friends and I were trying out Towerfall Ascension. I think my buddy AJ's fingers are not only large but also rough from years of playing various instruments. Regardless of how it broke, it finally happened.

It's actually "loose" over the top of the main plastic piece, which is the most annoying part. Up until this point I hadn't had ANY wear and tear and with little rip in the material, it no longer is reliable for precise movement in a game that requires split timing movement.

Edit - I'm also unsure of how to proceed. Could attempt to bother SCEA for a replacement, although I'm also curious about stick replacements. The XBO sticks are less tense in the XBO controller, but I like the grip pattern in the plastic.

Top Bottom