• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'The Last of Us: Remastered' coming to PS4, July 2014, [1080p, targeting 60 fps]

quickwhips

Redid it with footage that's actually in the shipped game.

i27zFh1aRNgcw.gif

Can't tell a difference? I think they both look good but can't tell a fucking difference. I guess I would enjoy either version.

just been wondering... why is this thread near 1000 posts? Whats going on in here? Is this game more than just an HD remake?

why is this thread near 1000 posts?

DAT HYPE

Whats going on in here?

OMG DAT HYPE!!

Is this game more than just an HD remake?

Essentially, yes, but there is much more included like all the DLCs, not to mention Naughty Dog's technical wizardry

You probably could.

post-28035-youre-very-good-you-you-unders-HcoL.gif

Dinjooh

Can't tell a difference? I think they both look good but can't tell a fucking difference. I guess I would enjoy either version.

You're looking at gifs that are each 640x360. The differences will be much more pronounced looking at 1920x1080 comparisons. And if you manage to shove a 60fps vs 30fps on top of that, it'll be night and day.

RedAssedApe

Banned
they need to talk to youtube and see if they can get a 60fps video up

just been wondering... why is this thread near 1000 posts? Whats going on in here? Is this game more than just an HD remake?

you gotta keep in mind...there are some people who have yet to play this game. that and people are genuinely excited. testament to the quality of the game. compare to tomb raider de thread where the thread was mostly just whining about the pricepoint :p

GavinUK86

PS4 one is alot crisper and clearer. You can also notice the better textures. Not a massive difference in that scene though. The most noticeable will be the res and framerate. Hard to show that in gifs I guess.

Seriously? The one on the left looks just blurry in comparison. But these gifs still don't do it justice - you won't truly appreciate the resolution bump until you play it for yourself.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
We definitely sure they are still pre rendering the cutscenes? Doesn't see like there would be enough space without significant compression - the PS3 version is over 40GB with 720p/30 cutscenes, so 1080p/60 is 4x the pixels

Also if they used realtime cutscenes that might reduce the data needed, which might help speed up any background loading (don't know if TLoU does that)

RedAssedApe

Banned
There are no spoilers for someone who hasn't played the game.

why'd the e3 trailer have that spoiler disclaimer then? :p

not really my point of contention though. i've played the game. just wondering why they didn't just re-cut the old trailers using ps4 footage. that would be the best way to show people how the games graphics have improved

Also if they used realtime cutscenes that might reduce the data needed, which might help speed up any background loading (don't know if TLoU does that)
TLOU loads during cutscenes and at startup. No clue how they fit them on there without ridiculous compression on the video.

LegendX48

Textures and clarity are better on the right (PS4) as well as the shadows being darker and the movement of the little tassle things on her sweater is more pronounced.

0racle

As a 29 year old male, I am excited for this game but at the same time im not. I found the game to be downright terrifying. For some reason it struck a nerve with me and my stress level/blood pressure at times could not handle it. I actually sold the game the moment I beat it since I could never see myself going through another play though.

I hope that as time has passed, and since I have played it once I wont be too freaked out and may actually enjoy the game a bit more. I think part of the reason is I play in a dedicated theater room on a 106" screen with a sound system that makes real life sounds jealous.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
We definitely sure they are still pre rendering the cutscenes? Doesn't see like there would be enough space without significant compression - the PS3 version is over 40GB with 720p/30 cutscenes, so 1080p/60 is 4x the pixels

PS4 has build in decompression hardware so they could probably compress it more to fit on disk then expand when installed since it no longer has to play from disk.

the cutscenes are not real time, they are pre renders, just like the ps3 version, the difference is that they bumped the resolution, and the framerate, that's why when you look at the ps3 version, it looks blurry, the resolution is lower. it's just that guys. the biggest difference that we will see is in the gameplay sections. you know, the real time ones.

considering the game went gold yesterday, and neil druckmann in that edge article said that they had already enhanced the pre render cutscenes since the announcement (beginning of april). It's understandable that they mostly used the pre-renders for their trailers. now that all the enhancements for the gameplay sections were made, i bet there will be a great flood of information + videos of the game.

orochi91

Tailgate still has aliasing, z-fighting on the upper left part of the center is now an issue.

Need more AA and also need someone to fix that window!

Yup. As I was saying earlier, noticeable aliasing is evident throughout. And what's
that effect on the window called? Because it's evident elsewhere in the trailer as well.

It's incredibly distracting and detracts from the IQ.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yup. As I was saying earlier, noticeable aliasing is evident throughout. And what's
that effect on the window called? Because it's evident elsewhere in the trailer as well.

It's incredibly distracting and detracts from the IQ.
It's still significantly better than the cutscenes on PS3. There was tons of aliasing there. Much more subtle now.

DieH@rd

Banned
the cutscenes are not real time, they are pre renders, just like the ps3 version, the difference is that they bumped the resolution, and the framerate, that's why when you look at the ps3 version, it looks blurry, the resolution is lower. it's just that guys. the biggest difference that we will see is in the gameplay sections. you know, the real time ones.

This.

That that was prerendered before will look just a little sharper [jump from 720p to 1080p] and fluid [jump from 30 to 60fps] on PS4.

Real time gameplay will however look much better.

Amazing because I did last month 20/20 whats up.

Real answer for why either version doesn't work (and why PS4 is better): Comparisons are between pre-rendered footage here and that is not what you will be playing. The actual PS3 games IQ is nowhere close to what is shown here.

NaughtyDog rerenderes the cutscenes at 1080p/60FPS.
Don't know if they changed anything else.
I don't think you'll be able to see the difference between 720p/30 and 1080p/60 in a 400p gif.

The real differences will be visible in gameplay, because here we actually get better models, better lighting and better textures.

Top Bottom