• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 - Repurchasing a game digitally after already installing from disk

Dunlop

I'm taking advantage of the superhero sale and have a quick question.

The trade in values for Injustice and Lego Marvel are higher than the cost of this sale

I already have both games physically, if I buy the digital copy do I have to uninstall them completely to re download it digitally?

Specifically does this affect the game saves?

My son will have an absolute stroke if I lose his Lego Marvel save lol

Sorry,I posted this question already but I need to do now as I will be unable to again before the sale ends

saves will not be affected. Just make sure the save is backed up to the cloud just in case and do not erase the save from the hard drive.

rbanke

I did this with BF4, started with the launch retail copy and realized i wanted to have it installed & a deal came my way. Bought the ps3 digital version and paid the $10 upgrade and had it. It was pretty seamless. Not sure if that's across the board though.

Kyoufu

So digital and physical games don't have their own saves anymore? I remember this being annoying on the PS3.

Dunlop

I was hoping to just install it side by side but no dice.

I purchased the digital version but it will not let me download it.

If I uninstall the physical version will it leave the saves alone? I'm not sure how to check if my save is in the cloud, I thought that was automatic

edit: figured out the online save

I can't help OP, but I've been wondering about this myself. I want to get Destiny digitally so I can preload and play right at midnight but id also like to get a physical copy down the line.

Can you just play the disc/dl like they're the same game?

Also, what's the process like for transferring digital games to a new hard drive? Any drm situations?

Yoday

I was hoping to just install it side by side but no dice.

I purchased the digital version but it will not let me download it.

If I uninstall the physical version will it leave the saves alone? I'm not sure how to check if my save is in the cloud, I thought that was automatic

edit: figured out the online save
Deleting a game won't touch the save, they are a separate file. They work regardless of whether the game is physical or digital.

I can't help OP, but I've been wondering about this myself. I want to get Destiny digitally so I can preload and play right at midnight but id also like to get a physical copy down the line.

Also, what's the process like for transferring digital games to a new hard drive? Any drm situations?
Nope, you have to uninstall the downloaded version before you can install from disc, and once you have installed the game from disc you can't download it until you delete the disc based install.
EDIT: If you are referring to the save file, then yes. The save will work regardless of which version of the game you have installed. You can delete a disc based install and the save will work with the downloaded version of the game.

Dunlop

lol looked good, I can see the save from the load menu but when I actually select it I get the message

"Please wait until the game is fully installed, current progress 40%"

It has been the same message for 15 minutes and even after shutting down the PS4

/gulp

Carnby

OP, do you have PS+? Your saves can be uploaded to the cloud. So even if you accidentally delete them, they are backed up.

Don't worry op the game is just downloading in the background, your save data is just to far through the game so it must download more data than was in the play go segment

DC1

I think you're fine.
HOWEVER.
I experienced a save transfer issue (from disc to digital) with Lego Batman 2.

The original batman disc suffered a horrific scratch due to 8 year old negligence.
In my mercy I picked up the digital version on sale for 19.99.
The disc saves were not recognized by the digital copy. My son was peeved because 70% of his progressed was lost. I was pissed because my cash money was wasted (I knew he wasn't going to start from the beginning).

BOoo! Disc to digital file save transfer issues.

Maybesew

I can understand owning the physical copy, but what differnce does it make which one you actually play on the ps4?

SerTapTap

So digital and physical games don't have their own saves anymore? I remember this being annoying on the PS3.

They could but sometimes didn't on PS3. RE5 digital uses the same saves. Infamous 2 and LBP2 have ominous "digital version" in their titles and I assume don't work with disk saves.

DoomGyver

Sorry for the highjack, but If the disc is already installed and you purchase the digital version do you have to download the game? or does it just play from the disc install?

Dunlop

Sorry for the highjack, but If the disc is already installed and you purchase the digital version do you have to download the game? or does it just play from the disc install?

re-download it, I tried just to make sure

You also need to uninstall the physical copy as it will not let you download the digital version (at least for lego marvel)

Don't worry op the game is just downloading in the background, your save data is just to far through the game so it must download more data than was in the play go segment

thanks, it looks like this is the cause. I was wondering how the 22GB Injustice downloaded so fast. When you look at the download list it says both games were installed so I don't know how you track this.

When I try the load now it says the installation is at 80% so I am sure it will be fine

edit: game is installed, save works great. thx again

Save are compatible between physical and digital but they have to be of the same region.
I tried to use a US save with my PAL digital game and it didnt work

_Ryo_

As far as I am aware you will have to redownload the entire game if you buy it digitally. You can not use the data that is already on your HDD. Save files should not be affected and should still be compatible with either version.

Stranya

Some games have save compatability issues between versions, like Witcher 3, where the GOTY version is not compatible with saves from the original version. Just mentioning it in case it's an issue for any other games too, where the physical copy is the original and the digital version is some other version.

Save are compatible between physical and digital but they have to be of the same region.
I tried to use a US save with my PAL digital game and it didnt work
I just checked the box and it says CUSA 05459 so I assume it is US game right? Edit nevermind. It says Region 2

Top Bottom