• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

Vitanimus

So I'm having some trouble with the EU DLC. Whenever I choose any of the DLC, it just says "choose a version" then gives me three options with them all saying "Download game pack to PS4". When I do that, nothing loads. It all says it's purchases, yet I can't download it and none of it is in my download list. I have the season pass. Any ideas?

Handy Fake

Wtf are you people talking about gamma issues and shit? Game looks perfect at night and same as on PS3. And no, limited RGB is not the correct setting for TVs. RGB range should be set the same on both the TV and PS4, preferably to Full if your TV has that option. Just make sure not to mix them up. So TV set to full & PS4 set to full and you have the correct setting. If you set your TV to limited and PS4 to full or viceversa you get degraded visuals, black crush etc.

And for people complaining about the subway section, it is meant to be dark ffs. Use the fuckin flashlight.

This made me laugh. Bravo. *snort*

amar212

At night it almost looks like there's a white sheet across the entire screen. Looks horrific if I'm being brutally honest.

Same here.

It simply looks like some white semi-transparent smudge overlay across the screen that does few things in the same time:

- simply overwashes all blacks on the screen
- almost disables all contrast
- increases brightness in blacks only (as you would in Photoshop if using "Selective Color > Black" for instance)
- and make complete image horrific

Once you simply turn around the corner where there is some source of light - bam - everything is fine.

It is getting me crazy. I am at the starting in-buildings part with
Ellie
during the night and the initial section with
4 walkers and 1 Clicker
and I simply begun to hate the area because I constantly have to tweak the screen for the proper contrast and visual balance - which is BTW impossible to do in satisfactory way.

No single game on PS3/PS4 gave me such headaches with playing in dark areas, not even Metro.

Wtf are you people talking about gamma issues and shit? Game looks perfect at night and same as on PS3. And no, limited RGB is not the correct setting for TVs. RGB range should be set the same on both the TV and PS4, preferably to Full if your TV has that option. Just make sure not to mix them up. So TV set to full & PS4 set to full and you have the correct setting. If you set your TV to limited and PS4 to full or viceversa you get degraded visuals, black crush etc.

And for people complaining about the subway section, it is meant to be dark ffs. Use the fuckin flashlight.

Thank you for your invaluable advice.

I was so stupid.

I have no idea about setting both my console and my TV.

I have never thought about painstaking adjustments of both consoles and TV to get the best picture possible. I also never invested serious money in my visual equipment nor cared to have it calibrated to minuscule details so I can have proper balance of brightness / contrast / black sub-tones / grey mid-tones / white-balance values.

You sir are genius.

Do you happen to have post 2012 Panasonic plasma BTW? Because if not, you have no damn idea what are we discussing about.

Mchardy

Geez, anyone else has freezing issues or crashes?

Earlier the game just froze while I was running around. Home button still worked so I was able to close the application and restart. Didn't lose any progress thankfully.

Just now I was fiddling around in photo mode and I was suddenly booted to some sort of "Report error" screen. The game had crashed and I was asked to describe the error and attach a video and stuff. Didn't lose any progress here either but this is worrying, and annoying.

Edit: It just happened AGAIN (crash to report error screen) at the exact same spot and while trying to make this photo. To be specific: after I go through all color filters and I end up back at "None", it crashes. Wtf!

Naughty Dog why won't you let me take this picture of the university?!

I just got the same report error screen then. It has only happened once so far.

leng jai

Just because you apparently don't have an issue doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Don't be daft.

JB1981

Grounded mode is incredible! I had to do the same section a few times but didn't care because the mistakes I made were mine and not the fault of the game. Feels so much more immediate when you can only take a shot or two and are terribly low on ammo. Scrounging around for that ONE bullet and then slowly plotting your attack against two enemies in riot gear was palm sweatingly intense.

No, definitely a bug. Some people are having problems with the visuals.

kubus

I just got the same report error screen then. It has only happened once so far.
Also while changing photo mode perhaps?

I just had the same error AGAIN and once again triggered by shuffling through the color filters. Only difference now is that I'm in a completely different place.

I'm starting to get the feeling that my photo mode is broken. I'm gonna test it once more, hopefully I'm wrong :(

Edit: Yep! Loaded my save, went into photo mode right away and went through all colour filter options. As soon as it goes back to "None", error code CE-34878-0.

I love photomode so much.

thelastofusremasteredm6b0i.jpg

bes.gen

dont listen to apoligists nd, fix this gamma shit.
the subway section is especially horrible, dont remember it being that bad on ps3.

other than that,
game looks and feels great.

my hard run on ps4 feels much easier than it did on ps3
probably has to do with added responsiveness from 60fps
should have gone with survivor

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Just starting playing, was definitely more impressed with the PS3 version for the hardware it was running on, because the PS4 is a lot more powerful you can't help but be a bit more critical with IQ etc, end of the day I know it takes a lot to run what I'm seeing @ 1080p/60fps but my eyes expect more, anyway that being said I'm still enjoying the game.

Just starting playing, was definitely more impressed with the PS3 version for the hardware it was running on, because the PS4 is a lot more powerful you can't help but be a bit more critical with IQ etc, end of the day I know it takes a lot to run what I'm seeing @ 1080p/60fps but my eyes expect more, anyway that being said I'm still enjoying the game.

For some reason I feel like they needed more time working out the kinks; you can see the seams sort of popping through where they tore it out of the PS3 framework and stitched it back together on the PS4. A bit oversimplified, to be sure, but I just feel like it needed some more QA testing. The way it sounds, it looks like they put this version together in four months or so.

And yes, the PS3 version was more impressive due to the fact that it was running on 7 year old hardware. The glitchy visuals/pop-in that we're demonstrating in this thread should be a non-issue on the PS4 (a lot of this stuff I never saw happen on the PS3 version).

I had a really, REALLY odd visual bug happen in the scene where you
run down the road to hop in the back of the truck that Ellie got running, and when it cut over to the scene of us driving away with the infected running behind it, all of the animations just sort of froze into place and it looked like a bunch of cardboard cutouts chasing after the truck.

For some reason I feel like they needed more time working out the kinks; you can see the seams sort of popping through where they tore it out of the PS3 framework and stitched it back together on the PS4. A bit oversimplified, to be sure, but I just feel like it needed some more QA testing. The way it sounds, it looks like they put this version together in four months or so.

And yes, the PS3 version was more impressive due to the fact that it was running on 7 year old hardware. The glitchy visuals/pop-in that we're demonstrating in this thread should be a non-issue on the PS4 (a lot of this stuff I never saw happen on the PS3 version).

I had a really, REALLY odd visual bug happen in the scene where you
run down the road to hop in the back of the truck that Ellie got running, and when it cut over to the scene of us driving away with the infected running behind it, all of the animations just sort of froze into place and it looked like a bunch of cardboard cutouts chasing after the truck.

They actually did, in 5 months.

There are some bugs still, and hopefully ND sorts those kinks out.

Has anyone tweeted ND about the night sections being too dark? I wonder if it's a bug or if it was intentional. Hopefully it's a bug and they'll patch it.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
60fps actually suits this game pretty well, was worried it would be a little jarring and too fast like Sniper Elite 3 but other then it being smooth you can't really tell it 60fps, 30fps is terrible which is jarring as I've just come from a game running at 30fps and it was smooth, TLOU is very choppy at 30fps.

KevinG

So the trophies for the collectables, do these need to be grabbed all in one run? Or is it like Bioshock Inifinite where I could play through multiple times and grab the ones I missed?

I seem to recall the PS3 version requiring you to grab them all in one go, which simply ruins the experience of the game trying to trophy hunt in the most dire of circumstances.

mindsale

East Coaster here - is matchmaking deplorable for anyone else? Tried finding a game of supply raid from 6-7pm, entered one, constantly disconnected.

Well, I just had
the elevator drop in the hotel. I am now officially in the basement
. I've beaten the game before, but I am already afraid of the
generator section
. Haha!

I could sit here and nitpick the port, but, really, I am just happy to be playing through TLOU with such crispness and clarity in the IQ. Plus, it's given me something to distract me until Destiny comes out. :)

kubus

So the trophies for the collectables, do these need to be grabbed all in one run? Or is it like Bioshock Inifinite where I could play through multiple times and grab the ones I missed?

I seem to recall the PS3 version requiring you to grab them all in one go, which simply ruins the experience of the game trying to trophy hunt in the most dire of circumstances.
Was about to ask the same thing. I already missed two collectibles because I couldn't open two shiv doors and apparently I have to kill a bloater for a Firefly pendant now. Problem is, I'm playing on grounded and I really can't waste any ammo.

I read that you can replay chapters and grab the stuff that you missed and it will count. Is that confirmed?

Vitanimus

Well, I just had
the elevator drop in the hotel. I am now officially in the basement
. I've beaten the game before, but I am already afraid of the
generator section
. Haha!

Me too. Once I got to that section, I put the game down for the night... I'm not ready for that sort of trauma yet.

goonergaz

Wow, how did I forget how awsome this game is!? Don't get me wrong...I knew I'd love replaying it but man - I only ever played normal before and I'm playing grounded and loving it more than ever!

TEH-CJ

Banned
WTF is going on with the gamma settings in this game?

I tried everything: from setting RGB range from Limited to Full, playing with calibration, adjusting separate contrast and brightness..

It is absolutely mind-blowing thing.

No other game I have played that have a need to be "in the dark" have this kind of gamma issues. From Metro Last Light (on my PS3) to Outlast

I have to manually tune brightness/gamma settings for every damn area to be able to have proper contrasts and details in the dark areas

I am using Panasonic ST50 plasma in the Game mode with calibrated settings

I sent you a pm with the same message but I will post it here as well as its good advice.

set your ps4 video settings all to Automatic. now go to the in game brightness settings in the last of us and lower the gamma setting meter all the way down. You should be able to see the darkest colors in the calibration image if your tv is calibrated correctly.

Also..just a pro tip, do not use game mode, switch to THX mode as it actually has lower input lag than Game mode believe it or not. Also has the most accurate color reproduction.

the problem with the last of us, the default gamma settings is way off so it needs to be turned all the way down to have acceptable gamma or you will experience the white washed out look in dark scenes.

hope this helps.

KevinG

Was about to ask the same thing. I already missed two collectibles because I couldn't open two shiv doors and apparently I have to kill a bloater for a Firefly pendant now. Problem is, I'm playing on grounded and I really can't waste any ammo.

I read that you can replay chapters and grab the stuff that you missed and it will count. Is that confirmed?

It would be nice to go through by chapter. I'm doing a Normal run, and intended to find everything, but didn't want to be tied to a guide when I'm just trying to be immersed in the game. Which means I missed one thing in the opening chapters.

I plan to play Grounded+ next, and I simply won't be exploring too much on a higher difficulty.

MrS

Banned
Brick me if already answered but why is my PS4 disc drive so noisy when this game is in there? Is it installing something? It's annoying and worrying in equal measure.

I sent you a pm with the same message but I will post it here as well as its good advice.

set your ps4 video settings all to Automatic. now go to the in game brightness settings in the last of us and lower the gamma setting meter all the way down. You should be able to see the darkest colors in the calibration image if your tv is calibrated correctly.

Also..just a pro tip, do not use game mode, switch to THX mode as it actually has lower input lag than Game mode believe it or not. Also has the most accurate color reproduction.

the problem with the last of us, the default gamma settings is way off so it needs to be turned all the way down to have acceptable gamma or you will experience the white washed out look in dark scenes.

hope this helps.

Interesting, i'll try this out later today. The gamma was absolutely fucked during the part i was playing yesterday.

Mentok

Banned
It would be nice to go through by chapter. I'm doing a Normal run, and intended to find everything, but didn't want to be tied to a guide when I'm just trying to be immersed in the game. Which means I missed one thing in the opening chapters.

I plan to play Grounded+ next, and I simply won't be exploring too much on a higher difficulty.

From what I have been told, the game registers all conversations, jokes, artifacts, shiv doors, comics, firefly tags from your previous play. The only thing is in NG+ you cannot see any of those items in your backpack, so you'll have to use the collectibles list from the main menu to see which ones you have missing. But as far as I know, you can use chapter select to finish those off as well (since I missed so many on my first playthrough, I'm just getting them on my NG+ run).

Also, I don't think you can jump to grounded+ if you've only done normal...unless there's a glitch I don't know about lol.

JB1981

This is disappointing so far. Game looks phenomenal during the day but dark ideas are horrific. Fix this shit ND.

I'm on a Panny PZ85u plasma and I haven't noticed anything unusual. The only segment that bothered me was the subway tunnels filled with spores. Couldn't see a thing.

Just completed the game on hard and Wow! What a fantastic game. ND please make TLOU 2.

Might play it on easy for the comics etc. Not sure if I am willing to play the game on higher difficulties.

Brick me if already answered but why is my PS4 disc drive so noisy when this game is in there? Is it installing something? It's annoying and worrying in equal measure.

I was wondering this too last night. I waited around 10-15 minutes after putting the disc in, thinking it had finished installing (I like to wait until a game has fully installed before playing), but the disc was still spinning even after I started up the game. So I decided to delete it from my HDD and re-install it until the disc drive stopped spinning, which took way longer than 15 minutes. Then, when I started the game up the disc stopped spinning after a short time, like it does with every other game, and the only sound I could hear was the fans.

DirtyLarry

Sounds like a decent amount of people do not have properly calibrated TV's and are blaming ND. If your TV has a Game mode, or Movie mode, for the love of god turn it off.
In fact take it one step further, Google your TV model and Calibration Settings and try whatever you discover out. Most TV's nowadays let you save different configurations if you are really scared of it.
Really not trying to sound like a douche but there is no other way to say this without sounding like one. Especially if it is a certain brand of TV's which it sounds like it may be.

leng jai

Sounds like a decent amount of people do not have properly calibrated TV's and are blaming ND. If your TV has a Game mode, or Movie mode, for the love of god turn it off.
In fact take it one step further, Google your TV model and Calibration Settings and try whatever you discover out. Most TV's nowadays let you save different configurations if you are really scared of it.
Really not trying to sound like a douche but there is no other way to say this without sounding like one. Especially if it is a certain brand of TV's which it sounds like it may be.

Just stop with this. All my blu-ray movies, PC, PS4, PS3, Wii-U and 360 games have never had this issue before. There's obviously something wrong with the game's gamma settings.

StuBurns

Banned
Just stop with this. All my blu-ray movies, PC, PS4, PS3, Wii-U and 360 games have never had this issue before. There's obviously something wrong with the game's gamma settings.
And game modes are generally very good. They remove all post processing to reduce latency.

I didn't know I had to check an option on twitch to archive my streams, lots of good footage and tactics lost. Guess from fall to the end will be saved. Then I'll do left behind on survivor or grounded (haven't decided yet), then grounded plus with some multiplayer between that.

KevinG

From what I have been told, the game registers all conversations, jokes, artifacts, shiv doors, comics, firefly tags from your previous play. The only thing is in NG+ you cannot see any of those items in your backpack, so you'll have to use the collectibles list from the main menu to see which ones you have missing. But as far as I know, you can use chapter select to finish those off as well (since I missed so many on my first playthrough, I'm just getting them on my NG+ run).

Also, I don't think you can jump to grounded+ if you've only done normal...unless there's a glitch I don't know about lol.

There is indeed a glitch that I will be utilizing.

x-Lundz-x

Has anyone tweeted ND about the night sections being too dark? I wonder if it's a bug or if it was intentional. Hopefully it's a bug and they'll patch it.

Are you talking about:
The subway scene with Ellie and Joel where the spores everywhere?

That was the only scene that seemed "too dark" for me but I think that is by design. The rest of the game looks perfect. At least to me.

Saw a background building with a ultra low-res texture, inverted alphas on cobwebs that looked really weird, etc.

There's some bugs here and there that were probably done through the conversion period but it takes you out a bit of the experience.

Also, this with the Sony's headphone and the Last of Us Audio settings is incredible.

Are you talking about:
The subway scene with Ellie and Joel where the spores everywhere?

That was the only scene that seemed "too dark" for me but I think that is by design. The rest of the game looks perfect. At least to me.

I dunno, I haven't even gotten to any of the parts that some people are having issues with, I just figured if so many people are mentioning certain creaser being too washed out, maybe they should contact ND. Unless it's people's TV's not being calibrated properly...I have no idea.

kubus

Great. I'm missing 1/4 Blade to craft a full shiv that I need for opening this door that has the level 4 tool upgrade.

That's the third shiv door I've missed now and I haven't used a single shiv kill in the game.

Grounded clearly isn't joking around.

Edit: Awwwwyea I flound a blade later and the game was kind enough to let me fully backtrack to the shiv door! :D

A lot of people complaining here are regulars who know what they're talking about.

I'm not having those problems but I'll take their word for it.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Good god the gamma is deplorable for the first 2 hours. Please tell me this doesn't persist for the entire game?
Can you take a screenshot of the gamma problem. Is your TV capable and using Full RGB range? I know I'm going to hate this when I see it (Panasonic Plasma owner as well, but my TV doesn't have full RGB capability). Especially sucks as I have a feeling they've done this to alleviate black levels issue on crappier LCDs, but ruined black levels for those with good TVs.

No, the issue is definitely not because of my tv calibrations.

Top Bottom