• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread XI: Where 90% correct equals 100% wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mean

Neo Member
There's a bunch of Rayman speculation and Sakurai has definitely left the tease out there, but if Rayman exists and is going to be announced before launch, it would most likely be at Gamescom in a few days. Nintendo has announced that they will have a presence there, so just sit tight until then.

Neiteio

When Nintendo of Canada employees speak, reality is rewritten to match what they said. So now everyone can use Kirby's hammer and Final Smashes just sort of randomly happen like tripping.
That's ridicul--

*all of the sudden, every tree outside turns into a giant hockey stick, the streets are replaced with rivers down which lumberjacks travel on rolling logs, and cheese curds and gravy ooze out of the walls*

...Canadians

K-A-Deman

Just spotted it in SmashGAF IRC. I feel like to post it here because I just do.

IGajdgm.png

Well that's a lot of effort for one shred of a theory...

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
There's a bunch of Rayman speculation and Sakurai has definitely left the tease out there, but if there if Rayman is going to be announced before launch, it would most likely be at Gamescom in a few days. Nintendo has announced that they will have a presence there, so just sit tight until then.

Hmm...that'd be a good place since Rayman's really popular in Europe...

I know Gamefreak's Masuda is gonna be there too with an announcement. Probably Pokemon ORAS related, like when he revealed Honedge at that one event in France last year...

The Mean

Neo Member
Also people are talking so much about Rayman and not getting excited about the Groose announcement that will happen in the Hyrule Warriors Nintendo Direct.

I like that Gamescom's grown much bigger and more influental each year, but I don't see them revealing any news for Smash there tbh.
However, there IS Smash Bros. playable there, and they're planning to hold a tournament there for it as well.

Yes, it says "Rayman's trophy," possessive, rather than "the Rayman trophy."...

That business about the possessive is a red herring anyway. They're both possessives; "Rayman's trophy" and "the trophy of Rayman" are interchangeable, thus signifying nothing. We can still talk about "Wonder Red's trophy" without implying that he's on the roster.

Ah, yes. I had blotted out the side-quest needed to make it from my memory.

Do you mean to imply that the Goron race was anything other than the greatest minigame in Zelda history?

Neiteio

Hmm...that'd be a good place since Rayman's really popular in Europe...

I know Gamefreak's Masuda is gonna be there too with an announcement. Probably Pokemon ORAS related, like when he revealed Honedge at that one event in France last year...
Oh, cool, I didn't know Masuda was going to be there. Now you have my attention! When is this event?

He'll probably unveil a new Mega Evolution. :-O

Maybe it'll be:

- Mega Shiftry

or

- Mega Milotic

or

- Mega Flygon

or

- Mega Salamence

I could see any of those four getting Megas. :)

Hatchtag

Banned
There's a bunch of Rayman speculation and Sakurai has definitely left the tease out there, but if Rayman exists and is going to be announced before launch, it would most likely be at Gamescom in a few days. Nintendo has announced that they will have a presence there, so just sit tight until then.

Around Gamescom, I'd say there's a possibility. But at Gamescom? Nah. They only reveal character during streamed pre-made online videos, or behind closed doors. Not once for Smash 4 have they revealed characters during a public event, even if the opportunity seemed great for it (such as revealing Pac-man just a few hours after the invitational and revealing Lucina/Falcon/Robin a day after EVO).

Also people are talking so much about Rayman and not getting excited about the Groose announcement that will happen in the Hyrule Warriors Nintendo Direct.

No Sakurai hype, no news.

Around Gamescom, I'd say there's a possibility. But at Gamescom? Nah. They only reveal character during streamed pre-made online videos, or behind closed doors. Not once for Smash 4 have they revealed characters during a public event, even if the opportunity seemed great for it (such as revealing Pac-man just a few hours after the invitational and revealing Lucina/Falcon/Robin a day after EVO).

Wasn't Wii Fit Trainer revealed at the show floor of E3?

Neiteio

That business about the possessive is a red herring anyway. They're both possessives; "Rayman's trophy" and "the trophy of Rayman" are interchangeable, thus signifying nothing. We can still talk about "Wonder Red's trophy" without implying that he's on the roster.
Yes. As I pointed out in the part you didn't quote, there's nothing to suggest Rayman is actually playable.

Caladrius

Oh, cool, I didn't know Masuda was going to be there. Now you have my attention! When is this event?

He'll probably unveil a new Mega Evolution. :-O

Maybe it'll be:

I could see any of those four getting Megas. :)

We're getting Mega Crawdaunt.

Because I want him plz Masudan-San

Hatchtag

Banned
Wasn't Wii Fit Trainer revealed at the show floor of E3?

E3's not a public event, it's mostly for journalists, people with jobs in the industry, and celebrities that feel like showing up. Gamescom, on the other hand, is open for everyone.

We're getting Mega Crawdaunt.

Because I want him plz Masudan-San

That'd be awesome. Not Mega Castform levels of awesome, but still pretty awesome.

Caladrius

That'd be awesome. Not Mega Castform levels of awesome, but still pretty awesome.

Oh man, I'd love Mega Crawdaunt.

Although I'd -also- love Mega Sharpedo.

Mah bruthas

I kinda feel for the Gen V folks though

I wanted Playable Zekrom. ;____;
I knew the chance was negligible, but damn it would have been awesome.

Do you mean to imply that the Goron race was anything other than the greatest minigame in Zelda history?

Yes.

The Mean

Neo Member
If rayman miraculously makes it in, I hope he's DLC so I can not buy him.

Why would you prefer to not have a bonus character included in the base price of the game and instead prefer it as DLC so you can, I assume, spitefully not purchase it?

Coincidentally enough the top half of this image is the same argument used for Ridley ;)

Can you tell me when they showed Ridley's trophy, or him actually acting as a stage hazard, and outright said that he would not be playable? Because that shadow of his in the Smash Direct wasn't really, y'know, all that conclusive.

Hatchtag

Banned
But Sakurai says Ubisoft sent them the model. Why would they do that for a playable character?

Devs/publishers send resources for most characters in Smash, often including models.

Actually, come to think of it, there's models of Plusle & Minun and Mewtwo from other games as trophies in Brawl, despite them being intended to be playable.

Neiteio

But Sakurai says Ubisoft sent them the model. Why would they do that for a playable character?
Exactly. Sakurai said that Ubisoft modeled Rayman's trophy. If Rayman was a playable character, Sakurai's team would've modeled him since they need him to function a certain way.

The Mean

Neo Member
Devs/publishers send resources for most characters in Smash, often including models.

If you look through most of the trophies in Melee / Brawl, you can tell they are straight model rips from other games. It's very obvious that Sakurai / Sora aren't making all the models themselves, perhaps modifying them so they don't chug the framerate (although that is tough to do in a model viewer), but certainly not generating the vast majority of it.

The stickers in Brawl are even more egregious of doing this. Most of that is just scanned concept / marketing art.

SmithnCo

Exactly. Sakurai said that Ubisoft modeled Rayman's trophy. If Rayman was a playable character, Sakurai's team would've modeled him since they need him to function a certain way.

Yeah. For playable characters they would want full control of the model. For a static trophy, sure, they can just put that right in there no problem.

Masked Man

I said wow
This week's famitsu's scans are about Little Mac and Rosalina.

And I have the translations! ;)

Little Mac:
  • Neutral Special: Straight Lunge - charge to build power and release to dash forward while attacking, protected with super armor while charging and when performing the attack
  • Custom Neutral 1: Firespin Lunge - envelops opponent in flames while lunging forward, charges quickly but is relatively weak
  • Custom Neutral 2: Shock Lunge - fully-charged punch will stun opponents, travels great distance but Mac will flinch if hit while attacking
  • Neutral Special FInisher: KO Uppercut - build KO gauge by attacking opponents and taking damage, able to unleash attack when gauge is full
  • Side Special: Jolt Haymaker - hops forward and slams his fist down on the opponent, can leap over some projectiles
  • Down Special: Slip Counter - unleashes a counterattack if struck right after performing the move
  • Up Special: Rising Uppercut - travels upward while striking the opponent, can also be used as a means of recovery or moving about the stage
  • Final Smash: Giga Mac - Mac grows large and receives a considerable power boost

And here's Rosalina & Luma:
  • Neutral Special: Luma Shot - fires Luma forward in front of her, charge to increase power and distance traveled
  • Side Special: Star Bits - Luma shoots out three star bits directly in front of him/herself, low-power short-range projectile, recommended to try hitting the opponent with all three to maximize potential damage
  • Down Special: Gravitational Pull - draws items and projectiles toward her, makes it easy to hoard items, projectiles will hit opponents
  • Custom Down 1: Catch & Release - draws opponents close then blows them away, unable to pull in items
  • Custom Down 2: Guardian Luma - Luma grows large for a moment to defend Rosalina, Luma is normally small and easily launched
  • Up Special: Launch Star - flings herself diagonally upward, does no damage but is helpful when recovering
  • Final Smash: Power Star - releases a star above her head that grows large and begins firing shooting stars in all directions, Rosalina is still able to move around and attack for the duration of the move

Noooooooooooooooooo :(

Toxi

Banned
If you look through most of the trophies in Melee / Brawl, you can tell they are straight model rips from other games. It's very obvious that Sakurai / Sora aren't making all the models themselves, perhaps modifying them so they don't chug the framerate (although that is tough to do in a model viewer), but certainly not generating the vast majority of it.

The stickers in Brawl are even more egregious of doing this. Most of that is just scanned concept / marketing art.
A lot more of Melee's trophies were original compared to Brawl's. It's really obvious when you go through the gallery, especially with older games.

Little Mac:
  • Neutral Special: Straight Lunge - charge to build power and release to dash forward while attacking, protected with super armor while charging and when performing the attack
  • Custom Neutral 1: Firespin Lunge - envelops opponent in flames while lunging forward, charges quickly but is relatively weak
  • Custom Neutral 2: Shock Lunge - fully-charged punch will stun opponents, travels great distance but Mac will flinch if hit while attacking
  • Neutral Special FInisher: KO Uppercut - build KO gauge by attacking opponents and taking damage, able to unleash attack when gauge is full
  • Side Special: Jolt Haymaker - hops forward and slams his fist down on the opponent, can leap over some projectiles
  • Down Special: Slip Counter - unleashes a counterattack if struck right after performing the move
  • Up Special: Rising Uppercut - travels upward while striking the opponent, can also be used as a means of recovery or moving about the stage
  • Final Smash: Giga Mac - Mac grows large and receives a considerable power boost

• Neutral Special: Luma Shot - fires Luma forward in front of her, charge to increase power and distance traveled
  • Side Special: Star Bits - Luma shoots out three star bits directly in front of him/herself, low-power short-range projectile, recommended to try hitting the opponent with all three to maximize potential damage
  • Down Special: Gravitational Pull - draws items and projectiles toward her, makes it easy to hoard items, projectiles will hit opponents
  • Custom Down 1: Catch & Release - draws opponents close then blows them away, unable to pull in items
  • Custom Down 2: Guardian Luma - Luma grows large for a moment to defend Rosalina, Luma is normally small and easily launched
  • Up Special: Launch Star - flings herself diagonally upward, does no damage but is helpful when recovering
  • Final Smash: Power Star - releases a star above her head that grows large and begins firing shooting stars in all directions, Rosalina is still able to move around and attack for the duration of the move

Thanks again!

Hatchtag

Banned

Little Mac:

Thanks for the translations! Weird that custom down 2 seems so different, it's more of a different move than a variation of a previous move. Hopefully more characters are like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom