• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUYS! GUYS! SSI is being reborn as TSI, looking to make new Gold Box Games!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
http://www.tsi-games.com/

http://www.yetanotherreviewsite.co....actical-simulations-interactive/#.U-T23mMQNlN

August 8, 2014 – Los Angeles, USA /… Tactical Simulations Interactive (TSI), a new independent video games studio with old school RPG sensibilities, has been established by Strategic Simulations Inc. veterans Paul Murray and David Shelley, and company President David Klein.

Drawing on their experience at SSI, the team at TSI aims to provide the next step in meaningful player experiences in the same way that SSI’s ‘Gold Box’ titles did during the 1980s and 1990s.

David Shelley takes on the role of Producer/Lead Designer, while Paul Murray serves as Technical Designer at TSI. The team was integral to the international success of Strategic Simulations Inc.’s genre-defining RPGs, such as Curse of the Azure Bonds, Pool of Radiance,and Wizard’s Crown.

David Shelley, Producer/Lead Designer, TSI said:

“Tactical Simulations Interactive is a return to providing the player full control of their party, with a focus on creating immersive and unforgettable story experiences, exciting exploration, meaningful social/political choices, and robust tactical combat.”

The Gold Box series of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons RPGs were produced by SSI between 1988 and 1993 using the same game engine, provided a quality game experience that was “true to tabletop” and allowed players to create, customize and control a full party with tactical combat. They earned the Gold Box moniker because of the gold boxes that they came packaged in, with the series also acting as a precursor to RPG classics like Baldur’s Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment and Neverwinter Nights.

14876909852_7f84a2e935_o.jpg

14676143299_714e3ae348_o.gif

14690720337_96467c3062_o.png

14860310904_23401f24c3_o.gif

14876931952_f4dde45fda_o.gif

14839795936_471a9bc7e2_o.gif

14874840634_b0eaac7f01_o.jpg

14862433832_0603a71225_o.gif

Holy shit.
Let me prepare my wallet ballista.
Gold Box d&d games were an integral part of my gaming experience in the early 90s.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I would be ok with Eye of the Beholder IV :)
I still think that Menzoberranzan is one of the weirdest names for a game.

Arulan

I couldn't find myself to believe after reading the title but... Holy crap it's actually happening. The RPG renaissance is real!

L Thammy

Oh man. Hoping for some Dark Sun love. I spent so much time playing Shattered Lands. Or, if they don't actually have the license, another Mad Max style fantasy RPG.

Wow. As someone that's been recently exposed to the Goldbox games in the last few years, I look forward to seeing what they come up with.

Varth

What about phisical reprints of the originals?

I would buy them so hard those responsible for packaging would end up pregnant.

But anyway:

tumblr_mdbp0u4rjz1qlxjo9o1_500_zps9cada154.gif

mclem

Put the old games on GoG (Or indeed supply them yourselves), then we'll talk.

(Nevertheless: AWESOME news)

Nairume

Banned
Oh dang, that's great news.

It's a shame this didn't happen sooner, since D&D 4E would have been a fantastic edition for them to use for new Gold Box-y games.

New edition should work fine if they can get into WotC's good graces though :D

adj_noun

Well, I have been working my way through the Infinity Engine games. May as well continue my journey backwards through RPG time.

Fuz

Banned
Oh god oh god oh god.

I so do want this.

Please don't fuck this up. Please. Pretty please with sugar on top, don't fuck this up.

Gojeran

I played the shit out of and loved some many of these games in my early years of PC gaming. Went from PCs that could barely run them to ones that ran them so fast you couldn't understand anything that was happening during combat. I think I played Secret of the Silver Blades and Pool of Radiance the most.

Fularu

Banned
I would be ok with Eye of the Beholder IV :)
I still think that Menzoberranzan is one of the weirdest names for a game.

Menzoberranzan is the capital city of the Drows, it has little to do with SSI and everything with The forgoten Realms

RedSwirl

So who has the rights to the old ones? Are the old ones available to buy anywhere? If so, is it a good idea to play them before having played any of the Infinity Engine games?

Nairume

Banned
Worth noting though for everybody honing in on EotB is that Westwood actually made those games.

Of course, there is a version of Eye of the Beholder that was actually remade as a Gold Box game,but I don't think SSI was actually involved with that one either.

jett

D-Member
I never played their games back in the day, but always wanted to solely due to how awesome the boxarts were. :p Interesting news.

Top Bottom