• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon TCG headed to iPad

ViciousDS

Banned
I loved the GB Pokemon TCG..............................so many hours wasted in that game. Still have the original cart too.

TrickRoom

It's funny how I just started playing the TCGO for the PC like, last week, and wished to myself, "hey, this game's made in Unity and all, why can't they put this on my iPad so I can play it in bed?" I'm pleasantly surprised to hear this.

My 2 cents from my one week of experience with this game:

-The graphical style is quite a turn-off if you're used to the typical Sugimori/Ohmura art type of deal. There's a reason why they still call this a beta, (and probably don't advertise it like Hearthstone currently does) because some parts look awkward enough for it to look like a fan-game.

-That being said, the TCGO is an accurate emulation of the official card game. You can play the Pokemon TCG. You can play it online with other people. This was enough for me, since I wanted to play the TCG for the first time since the gameboy game and didn't want to trouble myself with buying physical cards.

-You can play against the AI in some kind of "main campaign" they have set up. You get scores based on how well you beat each opponent, and those scores add up to the point where you get trainer tokens (to buy boosters/theme decks with), or booster packs. Completing every trainer challenge fully can get somewhat tedious, and I probably would've stuck to ladder if I wanted rewards, if it weren't for the fact that I was so completionist.

-Between daily log-in incentives, end-match roulettes, and their WIP gem system, this game is definitely taking a page out of general free-to-play philosophies. It's Pokemon, it's for iOS, it's F2P. It's not main series, but every element of the "perfect storm" (sans marketing, perhaps?) is there. When it releases as an app, it could provide a very accurate view on the true potential the franchise has, relative to all of the things said about "Pokemon for iOS".

-Playing Ladder matches has been fun enough to make me want to sign in at least once every day. (without taking login incentive into account :p) The TCG itself is pretty luck-based, with all of its coin flips. I've been wiped out prematurely just about as many times as I've wiped others due to the alignment of factors. I don't have intentions of being super-competitive, and just want to mess around casually, and this game does it for me.

-As a free player, I can say that their reward distribution is pretty fair, and I've gotten enough cards for me to make a deck that I can call my own. Oftentimes I lose track of how many ladder games I play before looking at my coin count and thinking, "oh, I can buy a booster already now?" (Keep in mind the boosters I'm talking about are 5-card packs, although for some reason the prize wheel's booster packs give a full 10-pack, and it's even tradeable). I haven't yet been to the point where I've felt like I'm "grinding" for cards.

-Having all of the cards in a virtual environment is really convenient. The game itself just recently updated with the latest expansion, and looking back on the list, it appears to be a complete set of every card ever printed since HgSs. I expect it will be even moreso when rotation rules come in, since the system can just do all the tedious work of referencing out-of-print cards and act pretty much as a patching system. I originally wanted to start collecting cards physically again, but I've actually changed my mind about that. I might just play this game and collect cards virtually (the game supports that too).

I'm not super-ultra hyped about this, but I do see it as something I will enjoy booting up from time to time.

It would also be the end of their good reputation if anything goes wrong with the freemium model they choose. Like EA or Atari or, really, most traditional publishers in the mobile space. And it would certainly undermine the selling abilities of their hardware, with people being even more hopeful than now (if that's even possible) for them to publish their stuff on iOS and Android. I don't think it's a good idea. If they do it, I won't complain, but I really don't think it's a good idea.

for all the people complaining about EA, they keep selling more and more.

Alchemy

Just for the record, the only way to buy boosters in the TCGO for PC is to actually buy physical booster packs and redeem codes. This is more of a product extension of the physical TCG then a digital product on its own.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Wait, people think it's a port of the GBC game? lol

Just for the record, the only way to buy boosters in the TCGO for PC is to actually buy physical booster packs and redeem codes. This is more of a product extension of the physical TCG then a digital product on its own.

Technically you can still earn "digital" versions without buying stuff, but you have to grind.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
This is a day one purchase for me. Havent played pokemon cards in a while. Would love to play it on the ipad though.

nerdbot

It's my understanding that the Pokemon Company and Game Freak are kept at arm's length from Nintendo, and I'm not even sure Nintendo owns them 100%. So this isn't any indication that other Nintendo franchises are on the way.

The Pokemon Company is more or less a licensing outfit that Game Freak, Nintendo and Creatures Inc. all have a third of a share over. As I understand. But it's true that Pokemon is more or less its own thing with regards to other Nintendo franchises.

Still, while I doubt it's actually a sign of any other Nintendo things coming to the App Store (there's already been an official Pokedex app on the App Store and that didn't really usher in anything else) this is pretty neat and I would be glad to see Nintendo do stuff like this for mobile devices.

graywolf323

Pok%C3%A9mon_Trading_Card_Game_Coverart.png

The only Pokemon TCG that matters.

But really, that is kinda huge and crazy

I really loved that game

JoeM86

Oh my, there seems to be a lot of confusion as to what's going on in regards to Nintendo and Pokémon.

So, contrary to belief, Pokémon is not owned solely by Nintendo. The ownership is split, I believe, 34/33/33 between Game Freak, Creatures Inc. and Nintendo respectively. In addition to this, The Pokémon Company was set up in 2000 to deal with the non-game parts of the franchise (and they now deal with spin-off title greenlighting, too). This company is owned by all three as well.
Game Freak & Creatures Inc. are all separate companies, with really close ties to Nintendo. They are the epitome of what is known as second party.

Now, Game Freak develops the main games and dictate the direction of the franchise.
Creatures Inc. does various spin-off titles, but also completely create and manage the Trading Card Game.
Nintendo provides development aid and publishes all titles.
The Pokémon Company decides merchandise licensing, spin-off title greenlighting and marketing of the franchise outside of the games. That's where this comes in.

Outside of Japan, the Trading Card Game is handled by The Pokémon Company International, not Nintendo of America, and the Pokémon TCG Online game was created in 2011 in order to further reach of the TCG. It was developed by some small companies in the west and only exists in the west. Japan doesn't have it.

As has been said, the game has been under the "beta" moniker for 3 years now, and continues to be. In addition to that, it also relies on purchasing of the TCG in order to gain content in the game. This is likely a big part of why it would never exist on a Nintendo platform as that's sort of against Nintendo's policies.

Also, this is not the first Pokémon related app that has cropped up on smartphones. Pokédex for iOS came out in 2012, and there's a Pokémon TV app. In Japan, there's also Pokémon Smile School & PokéTouch, educational apps that are licensed out to educational establishments.

Nintendo do have a say in these things, and I'm sure they could block it if they wanted, but this does no harm, promotes their line, and does not damage sales of the games, so that's why it exists.

Any questions?

DooD1234

Oh my, there seems to be a lot of confusion as to what's going on in regards to Nintendo and Pokémon, but never fear, I'm here to stop the confusion.

So, contrary to belief, Pokémon is not owned solely by Nintendo. The ownership is split 34/33/33 between Game Freak, Creatures Inc. and Nintendo respectively. In addition to this, The Pokémon Company was set up in 2000 to deal with the non-game parts of the franchise (and they now deal with spin-off title greenlighting, too). This company is owned by all three as well.
Game Freak & Creatures Inc. are all separate companies, with really close ties to Nintendo. They are the epitome of what is known as second party.

Now, Game Freak develops the main games and dictate the direction of the franchise.
Creatures Inc. does various spin-off titles, but also completely create and manage the Trading Card Game.
Nintendo provides development aid and publishes all titles.
The Pokémon Company decides merchandise licensing, spin-off title greenlighting and marketing of the franchise outside of the games. That's where this comes in.

Outside of Japan, the Trading Card Game is handled by The Pokémon Company International, not Nintendo of America, and the Pokémon TCG Online game was created in 2011 in order to further reach of the TCG. It was developed by some small companies in the west and only exists in the west. Japan doesn't have it.

As has been said, the game has been under the "beta" moniker for 3 years now, and continues to be. In addition to that, it also relies on purchasing of the TCG in order to gain content in the game. This is likely a big part of why it would never exist on a Nintendo platform as that's sort of against Nintendo's policies.

Also, this is not the first Pokémon related app that has cropped up on smartphones. Pokédex for iOS came out in 2012, and there's a Pokémon TV app. In Japan, there's also Pokémon Smile School, an educational app that's licensed out to educational establishments.

Nintendo do have a say in these things, and I'm sure they could block it if they wanted, but this does no harm, promotes their line, and does not damage sales of the games, so that's why it exists.

Any questions?

Yeah, does this mean Pokemon X and Y is getting ported!?
/joking

Anyways, I wonder will there be a companion app for the Pokemon games like that dream radar on the 3DS. I don't think that will harm 3DS but will nicely complement it while bringing in some money on the side.

El Sabroso

I do remember that Pokedex app really a great and all clear post btw bro

also i played the tgc in website but really gave me more wish to play another tgc for a nintendo handheld just like the GB game, that was really good.

JoeM86

Yeah, does this mean Pokemon X and Y is getting ported!?
/joking

Anyways, I wonder will there be a companion app for the Pokemon games like that dream radar on the 3DS. I don't think that will harm 3DS but will nicely complement it while bringing in some money on the side.

It's a slippery slope. The closest thing there will be to a companion app to the main games on a non-Nintendo platform is a Pokédex. Everything else will remain on Nintendo platforms.

Busaiku

What are your sources for the Pokemon ownership stuff?
Different information gets thrown around all the time, so I'd definitely need to see something substantiative.

Lazaro

They recently added touch support for Windows 8 devices as part of the "new user experience" in testing/beta. It works quite nicely on my Surface.
Screenshot%20%284%29.png

Should have realised they were preparing iOS/Android ports. lol

Here's the App icon from the program for reference.
PTCG%20icon.png

Busaiku

I realize that, but I would like to see the actual documentation and whatnot.
You're not affiliated with any of those companies, so I can't just take your word for it.

Zalman

Now I feel like playing the PC game again. There is actually quite a lot of content even if you don't buy anything. Various decks and AI opponents to choose from. I'm guessing the app will be exactly the same?

DooD1234

I wonder how long until the media start spreading this news around thinking Nintendo finally developing for mobile. Especially Polygon since there already several posters here thinking this was made by Nintendo.

JoeM86

I wonder how long until the media start spreading this news around thinking Nintendo finally developing for mobile. Especially Polygon since there already several posters here thinking this was made by Nintendo.

They did the last few times a Pokémon app came :p

Griss

I just realised that Nintendo will give me a reason to charge my iPad for the first time in over a year. Then I realised how far from the standard modern consumer this makes me.

Can't wait, though. Used to love the TCG when it came out first.

Wasn't Pokémon TCG generally kind of crap. Hence why people simply collected the cards rather than actually play the game (or I at least never saw anyone seriously play it).
Heh dunno, but I used to play it a lot with my friends at the time. Many fun hours used on it.

Top Bottom