• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 33, 2014 (Aug 11 - Aug 17)

I dont see the Hyrule Warriors sales as that bad, considering the sell through rate it looks like they only shipped around 100k copies. Looks like Tecmo and Ninty went conservative when it came to their sales approach with HW.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
9/4:

Ehek4q1.jpg

Zumba Fitness World Party (Hamster)

9/20:

8BBvqWM.jpg

Bayonetta 2 + Limited Edition (Nintendo)

9/27:

eY28irn.jpg

零 ~濡鴉ノ巫女~ (Fatal Frame V + Limited Edition) (Nintendo)

11/6:

O5IuIai.jpg

The LEGO Movie Videogame (Warner Entertainment Japan / Warner Home Video)

11/20:

KxR0KAC.jpg

藤子・F・不二雄キャラクターズ 大集合!SFドタバタパーティー!! (Doraemon party game) (Bandai Namco)

Other, undated 2014 games:

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Nintendo)

Devil’s Third (Nintendo)

Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures 2 (Bandai Namco)

Sonic Boom (Sega + Nintendo)

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (Nintendo)

Watch_Dogs (Ubisoft)

You forgot the Kamen Rider game right? SummonRide with toys coming to PS3/Wii U in December? Also, Sonic Boom is called Sonic Toon in Japan iirc.

Any chance the Wii U stays above 10K until Bayo 1/2 + Fatal Frame release?

Personally, because it's the Wii U, I'm actually fairly happy with the first week sales of Zelda Musou. The fact is that pretty much every Wii U game except MK8 has underperformed like crazy after 2012. Hopefully it'll have some decent enough legs to get it to 150K or so by the end of the year. I think it'll likely hit 100K in the next couple weeks while staying on the charts. Pretty much every Wii U title has at least doubled its first week sales if it was big enough, so 150K doesn't seem too unreasonable with this decent FW.

Exile20

You forgot the Kamen Rider game right? SummonRide with toys coming to PS3/Wii U in December? Also, Sonic Boom is called Sonic Toon in Japan iirc.

Personally, because it's the Wii U, I'm actually fairly happy with the first week sales of Zelda Musou. The fact is that pretty much every Wii U game except MK8 has underperformed like crazy after 2012. Hopefully it'll have some decent enough legs to get it to 150K or so by the end of the year. I think it'll likely hit 100K in the next couple weeks while staying on the charts. Pretty much every Wii U title has at least doubled its first week sales if it was big enough, so 150K doesn't seem too unreasonable with this decent FW.

B2 release date is sep 20th, exactly a month away, not too far.

I dont see the Hyrule Warriors sales as that bad, considering the sell through rate it looks like they only shipped around 100k copies. Looks like Tecmo and Ninty went conservative when it came to their sales approach with HW.

Perhaps retailers ordered less copies because they weren't expecting any legs. Compared to something like Mario Kart, which you've got to imagine they'd expect to have pretty strong legs.

LOCK

Well a good week for Nintendo.

HW did good. Yoshi is doing good. MK8 did great. Yokai is still doing amazing.

Well a good week for Nintendo.

HW did good. Yoshi is doing good. MK8 did great. Yokai is still doing amazing.

I don't know if I would say Yoshi is doing good. It got a boost from Obon, but it's still going to finish significantly down from Yoshi's Island DS. It's showing some good legs from where it started, but it has yet to reach week 1 sales of DS. Nintendo probably expected more.

L Thammy

XB1 will probably outsell the PS4 when it hits the market. Didn't XB1 manage
to get a hold of a number of exclusives and visual novels for the Japanese launch?

Sony has really dropped the ball.

Going to take this one seriously. Consider what the PS4 and XB1 offers. If you're in Japan and want to play Western games, which should you get? They'll both offer more or less the same games, so the decision there is likely to be based on price, graphics, that sort of thing.

Now let's say you're interested in Japanese games. There's a certain degree of inertia at play, here. Since PlayStation has traditionally been successful in Japan and Xbox has not, companies are more likely to continue putting their Japanese-focused games on PlayStation than on Xbox. Even if it's in the way of cross-gen. Microsoft can buy some exclusives, but when we get to the time when major Japanese companies have finally mobilized on current gen, we're initially going to see more Japanese games on PS4 than XB1 regardless.

Jomjom

Banned
XB1 will probably outsell the PS4 when it hits the market. Didn't XB1 manage
to get a hold of a number of exclusives and visual novels for the Japanese launch?

Sony has really dropped the ball.

How many PS4s have sold thus far in Japan, like 600K? I wouldn't be surprised if the Xbox One didn't hit that after 3 years on the market.

Oemenia

Banned
What's stopping Sony from moneyhatting a game from Level-5, the system is on the verge of being a success in Japan and tapping into that massive PSP userbase.

duckroll

What's stopping Sony from moneyhatting a game from Level-5, the system is on the verge of being a success in Japan and tapping into that massive PSP userbase.

I'm sorry but I don't understand what you're saying at all. What would Sony "moneyhat" exactly? A new game from Level5? An existing franchise? What system is on the verge of being a success in Japan? What massive PSP userbase? I'm really confused.

From all accounts it seems Sony just doesn't see much incentive in pouring more money into the Vita than whats already been spent. They seem perfectly content with letting whatever titles come to the system support it while they focus on PS4.

Oemenia

Banned
I'm sorry but I don't understand what you're saying at all. What would Sony "moneyhat" exactly? A new game from Level5? An existing franchise? What system is on the verge of being a success in Japan? What massive PSP userbase? I'm really confused.
For the Vita, you can see the system really taking off in Japan if they get a big hit from a big name.

Just something tells me the relationship soured after WKS, NNN on PS3 did very mediocre numbers.

CrisKre

I think he means securing YW, or a similar game to appear on vita as well, since it has become a massive franchise.
What he fails to see is that it became so in part due to the install base of the 3ds, and that that ship has already sailed.

Takao

Banned
Yokai Watch isn't going to Vita. A new Level-5 kids IP could, but I don't see why they would. There's no big hitters in that demo like Pokemon to guarantee a market. It would be Level-5 creating it by themselves. That said, I can see Ushiro being revived as game on Vita targeting a slightly older audience. But I can also see Level-5 leaving that concept dead or reviving it on 3DS or something.

duckroll

For the Vita, you can see the system really taking off in Japan if they get a big hit from a big name.

Just something tells me the relationship soured after WKS, NNN on PS3 did very mediocre numbers.

It's easy saying "just get a big hit from a big name" but it's much harder to turn that into reality. What's stopping Sony from throwing money at Level5 to get them to make a big game for the Vita? Nothing. What are the odds that it would be successful? Not that great. I don't think the relationship soured honestly, but rather Sony just stopped investing that much into Japanese development, and Level5 became their own publisher and found much more success with kid's games, so they don't need to do work for other publishers anymore.

RalchAC

I think he is talking about the Vita. Sony and Level-5 have a big story of collaborations (Dark Cloud / Chronicles, Rogue Galaxy, WKC games) so it's not really a weird bet that we'll see this situation again in the future.

But I don't think it'd be on the Vita.

From all accounts it seems Sony just doesn't see much incentive in pouring more money into the Vita than whats already been spent. They seem perfectly content with letting whatever titles come to the system support it while they focus on PS4.

Yeah. I think we may see some efforts from already "established" IPs and not much more. My expectations for the Vita are Freedom Wars Burst and Soul Sacrifice 2 on the first / second party side. From third parties anything could happen.

For the PS4 I think at least they'll show Hot Shots Golf, Gravity Rush 2 and more Bloodborne. From third parties the new Yakuza, MGS and maybe there is a new reveal or something. Wasn't Ni no Kuni 2 hinted as a PS3/4 game?

Edit: And that weird robot teaser?

Scum

They should really give Devil's Third all the time it needs. Itagaki is a good action game director, the project itself clearly seems like a bit of a mess, and since Nintendo has already decided to invest in the title, it makes more sense to put out something good at the end rather than something everyone continues to call The Devil's Turd.

I hope it gets a year in the oven.

I'll do the full write-up later, but this week's Famitsu is pretty empty:
- Earth Defense Force V2 (Vita)
- The Seven Deadly Sins: Unjust Sin (3DS, anime tie-in)
- Puyopuyo Tetris ports for PS4/XB1 (I think this is the mystery Sega PS4 SKU from their fiscal calendar)
- Mighty Gunvolt for 3DS eShop

Capcom also notably did not list Deep Down in their TGS line-up. Now, not having unannounced games in there is usual, but Deep Down is an announced game.

How the bloody hell did Capcom manage to unannounce an announced game? :V

We see much comparisons everywhere with others Muso and/or Zelda games to judge if Hyrule Warriors has done well or not.

In my opinion, it's a real underperformance based on one very simple criteria : this game was the first one to came out on Wii U since Mario Kart 8, more than two fucking months ago. This system is starving and even so, less than 80K bothered to taste what Nintendo and Koei Tecmo had to offered, despite huge marketing and no competition. I don't understand how Nintendo and Tecmo Koei could be happy with thoses numbers.

And if a game called Zelda Musô can't do better than this, I wonder how tragic the Bayonetta 2 release is going to be.

Takao

Banned
I think he is talking about the Vita. Sony and Level-5 have a big story of collaborations (Dark Cloud / Chronicles, Rogue Galaxy, WKC games) so it's not really a weird bet that we'll see this situation again in the future.

But I don't think it'd be on the Vita.

Unless Hino wants to make a Dark Cloud 3, I don't see why Level-5 would work with Sony in the same relationship they had before. Yokai Watch 2 has sold more units just in Japan than all of the SCE collaborations did globally. Level-5 doesn't need someone else's money to be successful anymore.

For the PS4 I think at least they'll show Hot Shots Golf, Gravity Rush 2 and more Bloodborne. From third parties the new Yakuza, MGS and maybe there is a new reveal or something. Wasn't Ni no Kuni 2 hinted as a PS3/4 game?

Edit: And that weird robot teaser?

Unless I missed something, that Ni no Kuni 2 "leak" was from Thuway. He said that info came from the same person that told him Persona 5 would be cross-gen. Take that as you will.

As for that robot thing, are you referring to this?

Madouu

That's a decent result for HW considering how previous third party developed software has sold on the system. Does anybody have the list of top selling wii u software in japan for first week sales? I'm curious to see where zelda musou ranks.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
We see much comparisons everywhere with others Muso and/or Zelda games to judge if Hyrule Warriors has done well or not.

In my opinion, it's a real underperformance based on one very simple criteria : this game was the first one to came out on Wii U since Mario Kart 8, more than two fucking months ago. This system is starving and even so, less than 80K bothered to taste what Nintendo and Koei Tecmo had to offered, despite huge marketing and no competition. I don't understand how Nintendo and Tecmo Koei could be happy with thoses numbers.

And if a game called Zelda Musô can't do better than this, I wonder how tragic the Bayonetta 2 release is going to be.

Huh? It's not actually the first title since MK8... It may be the first big title? Is that what you're implying? Not saying there are a lot of titles, but One Piece, Kamen Battride & Wii Sports Club technically released in between those two titles... and Mario Kart is still selling quite well imo. Also, it's only been the first week. What exactly were you expecting on the Wii U? For it to sell like MK8 or something? If it has decent enough legs, it'll do all right for being on the Wii U (let's say it hits 150K with doubling its launch sales as its LTD). Considering how Musou hasn't broken 100K on Vita and only hit 150K on 3DS, if this breaks 150K, it already makes it a bit better than both platforms with a much smaller install base. At the very least, if this does even that well (I figure the West will embrace the Zelda part more), I'd figure we'd at least see 1 more Musou title of some sort on Wii U.

What I'm curious about with Hyrule Warriors is how many copies were shipped to retailers.

That's what the 60-80% signifies? How much of the shipped amount has sold in the first week?

That's a decent result for HW considering how previous third party developed software has sold on the system. Does anybody have the list of top selling wii u software in japan for first week sales? I'm curious to see where zelda musou ranks.

https://sites.google.com/site/japanltdrank/

Arranged by first week:
WIU Mario Kart 8 350,749 / 660,811 Nintendo 2014-05-29
WIU New Super Mario Bros. U 170,563 / 1,208,284 Nintendo 2012-12-08
WIU Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate 110,149 / 218,831 Capcom 2012-12-08
WIU Super Mario 3D World 106,967 / 580,238 Nintendo 2013-11-21
WIU Pikmin 3 102,188 / 232,313 Nintendo 2013-07-13
WIU Wii Party U 79,715 / 788,085 Nintendo 2013-10-31 (included Wii Bundles, unbundled it was closer to 40K)
WIU Hyrule Warriors 78,773 / 78,773+ Koei Tecmo 2014-08-14
WIU Nintendo Land 78,461 / 382,954 Nintendo 2012-12-08

Decent week for Wii U. Let's see what TGS has in store for Japanese PS4 owners.

But er...before that, we'll have next week's MediaCreate sales figures...

Alrus

This is not how game sales work.

prag16

Banned

60-80% sell through numbers tell a different tale. They can't be TOO upset since they only shipped 100-120k.

Shizuka

Best debut for Monster Hunter Frontier since the original release:

{2010-06-24} [360] Monster Hunter Frontier Online (Capcom) - 92,807 / 138,596
{2010-09-29} [360] Monster Hunter Frontier Online - Season 9.0 Premium Package (Capcom) - 15,409 / 28,403
{2011-01-26} [360] Monster Hunter Frontier Online - Season 10 Premium Package (Capcom) - 8,055 / 15,309
{2011-04-20} [360] Monster Hunter Frontier Online - Forward.1 Premium Package (Capcom) - 10,393 / 21,955
{2011-08-31} [360] Monster Hunter Frontier Online - Anniversary 2011 Premium Package (Capcom) - 7,953 / 11,061
{2011-09-28} [360] Monster Hunter Frontier Online - Forward.2 Premium Package (Capcom) - 6,816 / 9,859
{2012-02-01} [360] Monster Hunter Frontier Online - Forward.3 Premium Package (Capcom) - 9,047 / 13,100
{2012-05-23} [360] Monster Hunter Frontier Online - Forward.4 Premium Package (Capcom) - 9,893 / 14,127
{2012-08-15} [360] Monster Hunter Frontier Online - Anniversary 2012 Premium Package (Capcom) - 4,997 / 6,598
{2012-10-17} [360] Monster Hunter Frontier Online - Forward.5 Premium Package (Capcom) - 8,010 / 10,568
{2013-04-17} [360] Monster Hunter Frontier G1 Premium Package (Capcom) - 6,042 / 8,918
{2013-07-10} [360] Monster Hunter Frontier G2 Premium Package (Capcom) - 3,341 / 5,006
{2013-08-28} [360] Monster Hunter Frontier G - Anniversary 2013 Premium Package (Capcom) - 1,695 / 2,756
{2013-11-20} [PS3] Monster Hunter Frontier G Beginner's Package (Capcom) - 19,334 / 29,719
{2013-12-11} [WIU] Monster Hunter Frontier G Beginner's Package (Capcom) - 3,871 / 5,811
{2014-04-23} [PS3] Monster Hunter Frontier GG Premium Package (Capcom) - 4,689 / 4,689
{2014.08.13} [PSV] Monster Hunter Frontier G: Beginner's Package (Capcom) - 21,169 / NEW

Take note, Capcom.

Media Create

Love it.

Unless Hino wants to make a Dark Cloud 3, I don't see why Level-5 would work with Sony in the same relationship they had before. Yokai Watch 2 has sold more units just in Japan than all of the SCE collaborations did globally. Level-5 doesn't need someone else's money to be successful anymore.
They do if they want to stay relevant in the home console business.

White Knight Chronicles and Ninokuni are definitely coming.

60-80% sell through numbers tell a different tale. They can't be TOO upset since they only shipped 100-120k.

This discussion has been had many times before, but publishers don't just force a store to take the stock they want to sell. Stores ordered that that amount, so it could be a huge disappointment regardless of sell through figures. It seems it will sell its shipment though, so stores won't be disappointed.

Tripon

They do if they want to stay relevant in the home console business.

White Knight Chronicles and Ninokuni are definitely coming.

Didn't White Knight Chronicles sell like dreck?

And Ni No Kuni was self published in Japan, and Bandai-Namco handled the International publishing duties. If NNN2 happens, I don't see why it wouldn't go multi-plat.

geordiemp

Decent numbers for Wii U and Hyrule Warriors, but its really time to slash the price on that Wii U. Also, nice to see Mario kart 8 having some healthy legs. PS4 sells terribly as is to be expected with the kind of library it has. Will be interesting to see if Sony will do something to turn it around, or if they are happy with controlling the west.

Controlling everywhere but 1 country who prefer mobiles ?

Takao

Banned
Didn't White Knight Chronicles sell like dreck?

And Ni No Kuni was self published in Japan, and Bandai-Namco handled the International publishing duties. If NNN2 happens, I don't see why it wouldn't go multi-plat.

Unless Bandai Namco casts a From Software spell on Level-5, I can see NNK2 being PS4-exclusive for the same reason the first one was on PS3.

hiska-kun

I think Famitsu July's digital sales will be available next week. So maybe it's time for some predictions until the 27th of July.

Minecraft PS3 - 65k
Oreshika 2 - 15k
Freedom Wars - 8k
UnderNight in Birth X - 6k
Fifa 2014 - 5k
Persona 4 the golden - 4k

:)

sörine

Banned
That's not really true. I think you're completely misremembering the context. From 2006 to 2014, the only Musou which sold "upwards of 700-800k" was One Piece Musou which sold over 800k in 2012. The only one. Before that you have to go all the way back to the PS2 in 2005 to find a Musou which sold over 900k. The actual average sales of mainline Musou when Gundam Musou launched was more like 400k.
Super late response, sorry about that.

You're right I misremembered and overshot. Those sorts of numbers were about 2 years earlier on PS2. Although your 400k average is too low as well, that's closer to what they are now.

The nearest mainline Musous to each (within 2 years) on their core platforms are:

Samurai Warriors 2 (PS2, 2006) 301,044 fw / 562,320 ltd
Dynasty Warriors Gundam (PS3, 2007) 171,032 fw / 317,580 ltd
Warriors Orochi (PS2, 2007) 377,507 fw / 649,540 ltd
Dynasty Warriors 6 (PS3, 2007) 176,180 fw / 371,443 ltd
Dynasty Warriors 6 (X360, 2007) 26,705 fw / 48,796 ltd

Dynasty Warriors 8 (PS3, 2013) 213,338 fw / 356,617 ltd
Samuari Warriors 4 (PS3, 2014) 149,068 fw / 246,662
Samurai Warriors 4 (PSV, 2014) 43,545 fw / 83,352 ltd
Hyrule Warriors (Wii U, 2014) 78,773 fw

I feel pretty secure in Musou being a stronger franchise in 2007 than it is in 2014, my numbers were off but the point really isn't.

Yeah I forgot Kamen Rider: SummonRide. I'll add it.

I know what it's called in Japan...just used English localisation because that what everyone here is most familiar with.

Tripon

Unless Bandai Namco casts a From Software spell on Level-5, I can see NNK2 being PS4-exclusive for the same reason the first one was on PS3.

I don't see why they couldn't do try a 3DS version, they have their best success there, and the potential of an international release this time to boost handheld sales.

prag16

Banned
This discussion has been had many times before, but publishers don't just force a store to take the stock they want to sell. Stores ordered that that amount, so it could be a huge disappointment regardless of sell through figures. It seems it will sell its shipment though, so stores won't be disappointed.
Pre-orders ramp up early enough for retailers to judge based on that, and then place orders within the necessary turnaround time? Otherwise what dictates? Retailer speculation?

Well, point was, in light of the Wii U's situation, it's doubtful Nintendo and Tecmo Koei consider this a highly disappointing opening.

Pre-orders ramp up early enough for retailers to judge based on that, and then place orders within the necessary turnaround time? Otherwise what dictates? Retailer speculation?

Well, point was, in light of the Wii U's situation, it's doubtful Nintendo and Tecmo Koei consider this a highly disappointing opening.

Yeah I don't think they see this as disappointing. Of course, I wonder if this game was greenlit when Nintendo thought the Wii U was salvageable. I wonder how well this game would have done if had come out on the Wii around 2008.

Wondering if we might be starting to see a shift in the Japanese mobile industry. White Cat Project has been out for a little while and despite not having any kind of stamina or fatigue system it's #4 Top Grossing in the App Store.

Top Bottom