• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fatal Frame: Nuregarasu no Miko new info

I think this needs a new thread.

Game is in the lastest issue of Famitsu:

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201408/28059950.html

XzwXnrH.jpg

Homuranagi from Beyond the Camera's Lens forums has also translated the Famitsu article (I'd put a link here but they posted scans there):

We have three main characters:

Yuuri Kozukata (不来方夕利). We already know all of this, except she goes to the mountain to search for the owner of the shop, Hisoka Kurosawa. Voiced by Risa Tawata.

Miu Hinasaki (雛咲深羽), a girl searching for her missing mother, who vanished when she was a child. Yes, she's Ruffles. She's never known the love of parents and feels empty. Heads to the mountain believing her mother is there. Voiced by Maaya Uchida.

Ren Hojo (放生蓮), aka The Dude. He's a failure of an author who's known Yuuri for ages. He's quite whimsical and is scolded by his assistant for it. He hears of a custom involving burial photos, and goes to the mountain to research for his new book. Voiced by Tatsuhisa Suzuki.

Other characters:

Hisoka Kurosawa (黒澤密花), owner of the shop, who uses kagemi skills to search for lost things. Goes to the mountain to look for a missing girl and vanishes. Voiced by Atsuko Tanaka.

Rui Kagamiya (鏡宮累), Ren's assistant. She respects him, calling him sensei, and as well as helping him out she thinks of him as family. Voiced by Maaya Sakamoto.

LOCATIONS:

There are three main locations the player can explore at the start, like the forest and buildings around the mountain.
These are:

Mikomori Onsen: An abandoned old, big house known as a famous ghost spot where lots of ghosts are.

Kurosawa Antiques: Also a cafe! Yuuri lives and works here. People come here to request lost things be found, or have their fortunes told by Hisoka.

Shirazu no Mori (Unknown Forest): A forest in the mountain. Ever since it became famous as a suicide spot, there's been a big fence around it, which people sneak in through. There are also rumours of a murderer hiding inside...

Game plays out a bit like mission mode, where you choose your mission (you can replay it however much you like) and then you unlock new missions. Once you complete the chapter goals, you get the next chapter.

Your goal is to find people. Each person has different reasons for going to the mountain and getting there, so you'll have to gather as much info about them as you can.

You can use something that's like a "scent" of a person from things like a hair, their documents etc. that aids your "kagemi".

Then you use your clues to search for them. If you chase the memories of them you'll find them, so you have to follow their past footsteps.

When you find them and "bring them back" from their spiriting away, it's mission complete, but you'll have to watch out for the ghosts lurking...

You can also use your "ghost sight" to find hints from ghosts. Looks kind of like hidden ghosts in other games.

Gameplay is on the TV, the map is on the gamepad.

The touch system for picking up items is back. As are ghost hands.

Missed this in my excitement! Amano confirmed to be contributing a song also! More when we get it!

If you don't literally hold your gamepad upright Nintendoland-style to battle ghosts, the whole game is one big conceptual failure [that I'll still import day zero].

DVCY201

If they don't use the Gamepad as the camera, I hope they at least allow us to use it as an Inventory Screen. Makes it more accessible.

Shirazu no Mori (Unknown Forest): A forest in the mountain. Ever since it became famous as a suicide spot, there's been a big fence around it, which people sneak in through. There are also rumours of a murderer hiding inside...
cFjorKy.gif

A murderer? Players have never had to fight a live enemy before. The camera will be useless. It'll be interesting for sure to see how things go there.

I'm not sure I like this mission based gameplay.

Regarding controls I just hope they are at least comfortable this time. Can't be worse than what they did with the Wiimote... I hope.

Semajer

Thinking about it, it would be pretty damn sweet if the ghosts started to slowly follow you home, like in Fatal Frame 3, until you reach a point where they overwhelm, and the mission-based structure falls apart and you have to survive like the older games.

Hadn't even heard of this title before.

Wasn't even aware it was coming to Wii U.

Seems like the perfect platform for a title like this though. Cant believe I never even thought of a Fatal Frame on this platform.

Previous games did a good job of making the world seem dreadful and claustrophobic by trapping you in. A mission mode that ends up with a sweet tally of combo's and medals at the start rather than post-game seems like it would break that immersion immediately.

FryHole

That mission based gameplay doesn't sound so great.

Odds that in this one the camera obscura is the creation of a whacky inventor who's added a communication device to it?

Main character edges through dense forest, tension is up to 11.

*jaunty version of the main theme as ringtone*

"Yuuri, I'm picking up strong signals ahead! The ghost is very close! Catch it and bring it back for analysis!"

big_z

The three main characters reminds me of fatal frame 4 and the game having a mission structure makes me think you'll be retreading the same locations over and over again also like fatal frame 4... Not a good thing.

reptilexcq2

Neo Member
Fatal Frame should not be exclusive to Wii U. P.T. should give the developers clues as to why they should expand to PS4...it's the better system with way better graphics prowess.

tav7623

Ren Hojo (放生蓮), aka The Dude. He's a failure of an author who's known Yuuri for ages. He's quite whimsical and is scolded by his assistant for it.

For some reason seeing this description just made me think of Yakuza 4's Akiyama and his nagging assistant Hana.

Not sure I like the idea of an enforced Mission mode for the game (this is part of the "story" mode and not a side mode, right?). It sounds completely counter intuitive to what I would want from a horror title.

Fatal Frame should not be exclusive to Wii U. P.T. should give the developers clues as to why they should expand to PS4...it's the better system with way better graphics prowess.

The last 3 fatal frames + a spin off have been nintendo exclusive. (Deep Crimson Butterfly, Mask of the Lunar Eclipse, and now Black Haired Shrine maiden, as well as spirit camera 3DS).

Get used to it. It's not changing since nintendo appears to have, at minimum taken up publishing responsibilities for the series, possibly even more given wiki lists nintendo as an active developer for this game.

Oh also, the idea of a "better system" is silly and as already mentioned, declaring one better ten begging for a port isn't looked on too favourably on neogaf.

synce

They're bringing back that stupid item system? And map on gamepad? lol Suddenly I don't care that I won't be playing this anytime soon.

Btw, there are some familiar names there. Miu Hinasaki has the same family name as the main character from the first game (Miku Hinasaki), and she's searching for her mother...

Kurosawa is also the family name of FF3 main character and some NPCs from FF2.

Effect

Still holding out hope for a localization announcement for sometime in 2015. Keep the Japanese voice actors as well if it will keep cost down.

Fatal Frame using the gamepad as a camera is one of the only justifications for the gamepad, and they decide not to do it. Or even localize it, it seems.

RIP Japan

Pachimari

The gamepad IS used as a camera. But it also shows the map when you're not in combat.
Interest restored.

I'm still worried about the mission structure but I just want this coming to Europe for being a Japanese horror game.

I loved Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly on Xbox.

Mission structure is somewhat worrying, but it's only a month until release so not too long to see how it turns out. Is there likely to be any gameplay before then?

And I wish this and every other game ever made was on the PC :p True graphical prowess!

Lernaean

Banned

Thanks for this post, you are awesome.

Seriously speaking now, i NEED to have news that it's being localized.

ohlawd

holy smokes

Maaya Uchida, Atsuko Tanaka and Maaya Sakamoto

pls!@@!@ that settles it, I need to start playing FF2 Wii again. Only booted it once to see if it worked.

holy smokes

Maaya Uchida, Atsuko Tanaka and Maaya Sakamoto

pls!@@!@ that settles it, I need to start playing FF2 Wii again. Only booted it once to see if it worked.

Tsk tsk tsk, can't imagine playing the PS2/Xbox versions again after the wii version. Graphical overall and perspective shift revitalized the game.

Dantis

Miu Hinasaki is surely related to Miku Hinasaki from the first game, right?

EDIT: AND another Kurosawa? Come on now. This has to tie into the past games.

Not sure I'm into the mission structure, but I'll hold my judgement until I (hopefully) get to play it. I really hope this gets localized!

ohlawd

Tsk tsk tsk, can't imagine playing the PS2/Xbox versions again after the wii version. Graphical overall and perspective shift revitalized the game.

Don't worry. I'm on it the second I finish Ryse.

inb4peopletellingmetostopplayingRysebutIcantbecauseImalmostdonesowhynot

Dascu

As much as this interests me...

This almost kills it for me.

Why? Sounds a bit like Fatal Frame 4 except you have some more choice in when to play which part. Mission-like design with horror games can work fine in general, just look at Forbidden Siren.

Wait, what.. I don't understand. A murderer in a suicide forest? Does he murder inside the forest or just hide there? The former would be kinda weird..

Top Bottom