• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U Miiverse Update Thread XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spainkiller

the man who sold the world
Fuck it, I'm just gonna put it out there:

(And I'm not saying this to troll fans or keep the hype up or whatever.)

I have a source who has been right about previous leaks and has worked on the European localization of the game. He says he has definitely seen moving models of Dixie, Ridley, Chorus Men and Mewtwo in the game and he's still confident that these four characters can be unlocked by linking the 3DS version to the Wii U version.

Now, I know how outlandish this sounds, and being a game journalist myself I'm taking this with a grain of salt myself, but we're talking about the guy who told me about the Bowser Jr. alts immediately after the ESRB leaks and has never been wrong about other stuff as well. Plus, the whole connectivity thing makes far too much sense, if only to get fans to buy both versions. *insert itprintsmoney.gif here*

Again, I swear on my soul that I'm not trolling. Time will tell. I thought Ridley was never gonna be in, but hey.

Looking much
, much, much, much,
better, Batty =p

I'll be going back to my old avatar one day. ;3

Here :)

Bcho5do.png

Thanks, Kouriozan! :)

emb

At least it heavily implied it:
Users in Japan, you can now download the demo for Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS! You can pick among 5 fighters with which to play. The stage is Battlefield, and the rules are fixed. There will be a few items and assist trophies available too. You can battle via local wireless, so have fun battling with your friends. For users outside of Japan, stay tuned for more news about the demo for Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS. Screen shot is from Japanese version.

Can we stop with the "3DS was the first version therefore any complaints about it existing are invalid" business?

To me it sounds like they made the choice to go dual consoles before planning even really began they considered only doing a 3DS version and decided against it almost immeadiately.

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/51563/smash-bros-3ds-necessary-to-evolve-the-series/
Yeah, the idea that the 3DS version came first was always a bunch of bullshit--the 3DS and Wii U versions were both announced, together, at the same time, before development had begun while Sakurai was still making Kid Icarus Uprising.

They were both made at the same time. Neither came first.

Hrm

I just don't see why Sakurai didn't pull out all of the stops w/ Challenges.

We don't know how many there are. Someone in here who has the game unlocked a second page, which is how he handled the challenges in Kid Icarus: Uprising. In that game there were 3 pages of challenges, so there could very well be that many or more. We just don't know yet.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So why did the random button change from a ? to a O on the character select screen for the person who claimed it was the final roster?

Or was that just a CPU character token on it?

EDIT: Nvm, just saw another pic from them. That explains it.

I have a source who has been right about previous leaks and has worked on the European localization of the game. He says he has definitely seen moving models of Dixie, Ridley, Chorus Men and Mewtwo in the game and he's still confident that these four characters can be unlocked by linking the 3DS version to the Wii U version.

Now, I know how outlandish this sounds, and being a game journalist myself I'm taking this with a grain of salt myself, but we're talking about the guy who told me about the Bowser Jr. alts immediately after the ESRB leaks and has never been wrong about other stuff as well. Plus, the whole connectivity thing makes far too much sense, if only to get fans to buy both versions. *insert itprintsmoney.gif here*

Again, I swear on my soul that I'm not trolling. Time will tell. I thought Ridley was never gonna be in, but hey.

This reminds me... what does the Wii U button do in the menu?

Berordn

For me, personally, the greatest loss is Squirtle and Ivysaur. Well, I suppose the real greatest loss is Snake, but I mean of the characters who would be eligible to return no matter what. I do feel for the IC, Lucas and Wolf fans, though. I wanted EVERYONE to return. Cuts are never fun, and no one should be mocking those who are bummed their favorite character didn't make the cut.

That being said, I really am ecstatic about this roster. Looking at it for what it is, and not what it isn't, it's an amazing selection that borders on being overwhelming. Like I said, I'm not even sure who to choose first. It's almost maddening how many awesome choices there are in this roster. :)

well falcon took on snake's most important asset so while he'll live on

Seriously though, I know not every character can make it back (especially when we're getting 12 unique newcomers) and while I'm upset about Ivysaur, Snake and Lucas, but never in a million years did I expect Ice Climbers to not be priority.

I thik that connectivity for 4 characters might still be too much. A DLC would work better.

Mik317

You are putting your account on the line, you know.

but fuck it HYYYYPE

Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, Lucas and Alph could all be alts. Mario is Mario, so they could have changed his fireballs to pills for the Dr. Mario alt and could have been the only character to do this. No one would have batted an eye because Mario, and I'd be okay with that.

Having them as separate characters while Mewtwo gets the shaft though? Cruel and unjust. I expect no more than 5 years of community-allowed trolling upon Sakurai and his team before the next Smash cycle begins.

Alph is an alt, no?

They could have taken the Project M route with Mario but the Doc is way too important to just be an alt. Real shit, Mario never had the swagger of the black Dr. Mario too.

Like I said before, you guys need to accept Lucario as being vastly superior to that broke assed Frieza cat......

JoeInky

Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, Lucas and Alph could all be alts. Mario is Mario, so they could have changed his fireballs to pills for the Dr. Mario alt and could have been the only character to do this. No one would have batted an eye because Mario, and I'd be okay with that.

Having them as separate characters while Mewtwo gets the shaft though? Cruel and unjust. I expect no more than 5 years of community-allowed trolling upon Sakurai and his team before the next Smash cycle begins.

Dr. Mario deserves to exist just because he gives us Mario's good moveset back again.

If Default Mario had the Mario Tornado back I'd agree with you, but he doesn't and has thus been made obsolete by the good doctor.

Growlie19

Newcomer rankings, huh?

1: Megaman
2: Little Mac
3: Greninja
4: Shulk
5: Villager
6: Duck Hunt (Dog)
7: Robin
8: Rosalina & Luma
9: Bowser Jr.
10: Wii Fit Trainer
11: Palutena
12: Pac-Man
13: Dr. Mario
14: Lucina
15: Dark Pit

1. Mega Man
2. Pac-Man
3. Little Mac
4. Duck Hunt Dog
5. Villager
6. Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings
7. Mii Fighters
8. Wii Fit Trainer
9. Greninja
10. Palutena
11. Rosalina
12. Lucina
13. Robin
14. Shulk
15. Dark Pit

If your list doesn't have Dark Pit on the bottom, you're kind of silly. There's almost no difference there. It's probably no coincidence that my top 4 are NES era or earlier.

NexusCell

Fuck it, getting back onto the hype train

emb

If you're somehow not trolling (you are), then your friend is trolling you.

I hope you're right though.
I thik that connectivity for 4 characters might still be too much. A DLC would work better.
How so?

With connectivity, you can get the characters without having to buy anything from the eShop or use the Internet at all. And they're free.

We don't know how many there are. Someone in here who has the game unlocked a second page, which is how he handled the challenges in Kid Icarus: Uprising. In that game there were 3 pages of challenges, so there could very well be that many or more. We just don't know yet.

Yeah, I'm definitely not getting my hopes up. We've unlocked a new panel, sure, but that doesn't ignore the fact that we had gigantic challenge screens unlocked rather than eency weency ones.

Bowser Jr. having alts of the Koopalings was from a rumor that dated back from a couple months before the ESRB leak, but was only validated then. I don't mean to throw doubt onto your claim, I'm just curious as to whether you were given any information other than this.

Jezan

How is he worse than Dr. Mario? At least Pittoo is his own character.

This Dark Pit hate is hilarious. There's just something funny about people projecting their disappointment on a fictional character.
People project disappointment in things they like...

I hope the cut characters + Ridley are added to the Wii U version. Hopefully Sakurai breaks his word again and the Wii U version gets more characters :)

Also taking the time to implement the Koopalings, but Samus only gets recolors of Dark/Light suit (And no the models for the suits are not that different from the Varia suit) and Toon Link has no Outset outfit :(

Thorakai

Sakurai, please just give an official word on the Ice Climbers. I can't bear to cling on to the hope of DLC if the team already decided they aren't coming back for this gen of Smash.

Doesn't sound outlandish. Probably true. But time will tell.

Hah, how much Salt would there be if each version 4 characters that you couldn't obtain in the other version without linking them. It'd be glorious.

Oh boy, top of the page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom