• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 36, 2014 (Sep 01 - Sep 07)

???

I'm not sure what the context is with this conversation but I'll like to chime in. I think you're right but wrong at the same time.

There's no doubt that Destiny is the bigger title with its budget but we're talking about Japan here. I'm sure that the Japanese First Person Shooter streamers I see on Playstation live is only a very small percentage of the first person fan base in Japan but for Destiny to be bigger than the Final Fantasy series no matter what the budget is and to expect it to move more units than a Final Fantasy game is.... Well... Highly unlikely.

I would love to be proven wrong just so that the PS4 can have a heartbeat in Japan until the Japanese centric games start coming out.

It was a joke.

Road

Tsutaya: http://www.tsutaya.co.jp/rank/game.html?r=W090&moid=rank_sgame

I don't think that's how it works. MHP3 had like 5000 pre-order points and 2000 launch points.

Hmm, interesting. (First week sales of MHP3 were 2978 points, though.)

Maybe they just didn't have enough copies to fulfill their pre-orders? Their MH4 first week sales were much higher 4358 points (compared to 3766 points for pre-orders) for instance. I see the Asian version of MHP3 charting on launch week for Comgnet as well. I guess they really did not get a good shipment from Capcom Japan and had to import the Asian version to resell in the Japanese market...

I wonder if we'll get any early news from Famitsu about Smash. It's not gonna be until Tuesday, though.

Also, I just noticed Smash for 3DS is one of Nintendo most expensive portable games:

[NDS] Archaic Sealed Heat - 5524 yen
[3DS] Kid Icarus: Uprising - 5524 yen
[3DS] Smash for 3DS - 5200 yen

Not including bundles. Prices without sales tax. There might be some other as expensive or more games since I don't have a database with all their releases.

hiska-kun

Tsutaya: http://www.tsutaya.co.jp/rank/game.html?r=W090&moid=rank_sgame

I don't think that's how it works. MHP3 had like 5000 pre-order points and 2000 launch points.

Well, I realized that while shops as Bic Camera, Yamada Denki or Yodabashi close pre-orders when they reach some point (in some cases weeks before the release), COMG keeps accepting them and gaining points.
So, it's normal that when the release day comes they don't have enough copies even to supply their own pre-orders, and things as Road stated happen.

hiska-kun

It seems Smash is receiving shipments everyday.

Urgent shipment arrived Today (本日緊急入荷) in Bic Camera:
090777C4-880F-438E-97F8-816C11AF0290_zpsq2cf7o4q.jpg

Yamada Denki has stock again too:
E6865E69-8B02-4D9B-991F-8FDFB42543D9_zpsqobof5fx.jpg

Today is a national holiday in Japan, It's a 3 days weekend. A shipment was needed for today.

Edit:
Tsutaya (Shibuya) can't say the same, Youkai Watch 2 and Smash out of stock.
128F74F6-AA0D-46F9-843E-041915E1BD0A_zpsjvnmlfbr.jpg

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
According to comgnet, we now have

preorders:
Bayo 2 - 17pts
Fatal Frame V - 21 pts
Smash Wii U - 27 pts (this really still needs a release date...)

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Hmm any idea how many points the first Bayonetta had and/or TW101 for comparison?

I remember someone posting that Bayo 1 had a lot more preorders by this point already. I really doubt W101 had many preorders if enough to even chart... However, Hyrule Warriors managed to start slow and pick up preorders (and first week sales). I'm also curious how Fatal Frame preorders compare to previous titles in the series.

From the week of W101 (sales there)
Originally Posted by Aquamarine

Comgnet is finally up, and---no surprise to anyone---TW101 is nowhere to be found.

With #16 on Tsutaya and >#20 on Comgnet, it's safe to say that it won't be matching LEGO City Undercover (#13 on Tsutaya, #07 on Comgnet) anytime soon.

duckroll

http://news.yahoo.com/yo-kai-watch-japans-monster-craze-set-international-042828580.html

A look into the insanity of Yokai Watch popularity beyond just the games:

"We bought a lot -- about 20 items -- as we can rarely buy them," Shoji Takayama said as he came out of a store with his wife, two children and a big plastic bag full of toys.

The family spent about 30,000 yen ($280) at YO-Kai Watch Town, a temporary shop on "First Avenue Tokyo Station", a street inside the Japanese capital's main train station.

"It's fun to catch Yokai and become friends," nine-year-old Naoya said of the video games. "The characters are cute," added his sister, Sae, 11.

Such is the demand that tickets to get into the store were distributed in online lotteries, allowing up to 432 people to visit every day.

Replica versions of the watch worn by little Keita -- which allow the wearer to insert different medals to produce different sound effects -- are in such short supply that their price has rocketed on online auction sites.

Bandai Namco Holdings said it would produce two million units this year, along with around 100 million medals, contributing to the eye-popping 10 billion yen ($93 million) worth of YO-Kai Watch toys they have sold in the six months from April.

And that's not including software sales.

Mmmmm.... $$$$$

Impotaku

There is a reason Japan is running out of medals, i have them all in the uk lol.
SAM_1146%20res.jpg

This picture is enough to cause the average Japanese kid to go into a frenzy of excitement :)

That's fantastic for Level 5. But one just has to wonder what they're doing though, since none of the games they announced late last year have been heard of since except Wonderflick, and they've announced nothing this year except YW2.

You mean they haven't cancelled all of their other projects to work on Youkai Watch 3,4,5,6,7 to be released twice a year? /s

duckroll

That's fantastic for Level 5. But one just has to wonder what they're doing though, since none of the games they announced late last year have been heard of since except Wonderflick, and they've announced nothing this year except YW2.

Does it even matter though? Here's some perspective: With just two releases, Yokai Watch has sold more as a franchise than the first 5 releases of Inazuma Eleven combined. It has also sold more than the first 4 releases of Layton combined.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
According to comgnet, we now have

preorders:
Bayo 2 - 17pts
Fatal Frame V - 21 pts
Smash Wii U - 27 pts (this really still needs a release date...)

It is a pity that bayo and ff are not able to repeat hw results, both hw and sw wise. That would have been good for wiiu install base. For smash, I really think that the 3ds version will hvrt the wiiu one. And I wonder if smash should even be counted as a relevant factor for the console in the incoming holidays..

It is a pity that bayo and ff are not able to repeat hw results, both hw and sw wise. That would have been good for wiiu install base. For smash, I really think that the 3ds version will hvrt the wiiu one. And I wonder if smash should even be counted as a relevant factor for the console in the incoming holidays..

It's a late port on a $300 console with 8x smaller install base. Ofc it's going to sell like shit compared to the 3DS version.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

Well if Fatal Frame hit HW numbers first week it'd be record breaking for the franchise (as in beating the best LTD in its first week). Bayo 2 seems too expensive in Japan imo... in the US we're getting a great deal in comparison. It's honestly really hard to tell at this point imo...

Hyrule Warriors on comgnet was this:
7/24 - 12 pts - 21 days before release
8/4 - 33 pts - 10 days before release
8/13 - 53 pts - 1 day before release (sold 127 copies on actual release day)

Fatal Frame V so far:
9/15 - 21 pts (12 days before release)

Bayo 2 so far:
9/15 - 17 pts (5 days before release)

I'd like to see some Bayonetta/Fatal Frame comparisons too.

I'd guess Bayonetta is hugely underperforming, but Fatal Frame might be doing alright. The series wasn't exactly big to begin with.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
It's a late port on a $300 console with 8x smaller install base. Ofc it's going to sell like shit compared to the 3DS version.

Yeah, ofc, but many (and me too) was looking at that as one of the significant release for the Wii U, to see a positive holiday season, as the last year's one. But the more we approach the release, the more I feel that the 3ds version will be a blast, that will almost destroy any relevance of the Wii U version. I wonder if Smash Wii U will be "something" for the Wii U for real, or not.

Well if Fatal Frame hit HW numbers first week it'd be record breaking for the franchise (as in beating the best LTD in its first week). Bayo 2 seems too expensive in Japan imo... in the US we're getting a great deal in comparison. It's honestly really hard to tell at this point imo...

Hyrule Warriors on comgnet was this:
7/24 - 12 pts - 21 days before release
8/4 - 33 pts - 10 days before release
8/13 - 53 pts - 1 day before release (sold 127 copies on actual release day)

Fatal Frame V so far:
9/15 - 21 pts (12 days before release)

Bayo 2 so far:
9/15 - 17 pts (5 days before release)

Well, I wasn't saying that FF should match HW results exactly, but hoping for "something decent", that could have a small impact on the HW too.
Probably FF is going to be ok, compared to previous iteration, looking at those preorders. Bayonetta2, will probably be disappointing, especially if I was hoping for HW numbers. Instead, probably FF will do better. I wonder if they will be able to at least keeping the Wii U afloat.

30k opening for Fatal frame should be okay.
Bayonetta is going to bomb.
Obviously Smash on WiiU is not going to do anywhere near as well as the 3DS version.

L~A

?? Isn't the character roster the only similarity between the two?

Yeah, levels are different, game modes (other than the usual "core" stuff like Smash and co) are different, music is different too.

Will that be enough of a difference for most people? No idea. The fact that we still know very little of the Wii U version modes and such isn't helping either.

Of course. But I'm doubting that it will be able to repeat 3DWorld numbers and boost the Wii U as that game did last Christmas.

I don;t think we can really tell right now just how much the 3DS sku has affected the WiiU one. I think Smash being a million seller on WiiU has gone out of the window but I do expect it to do 500k+ on the WiiU. I think the added effect of Mk + Smash might result in a similar boost like last christmas.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I don;t think we can really tell right now just how much the 3DS sku has affected the WiiU one. I think Smash being a million seller on WiiU has gone out of the window but I do expect it to do 500k+ on the WiiU. I think the added effect of Mk + Smash might result in a similar boost like last christmas.

Well, I think that it will be interesting to see Wii U performance with those two games available around Christmas. My oopinion is that MK is a little bit too "old" (on the Wii it was an evergreen title, ok, but on Wii U...) while Smash will heavily be affected by the 3DS version. Let's see how this will turn out for the Wii U in a couple of months!

Orgen

A good barometer to gauge if Nintendo was right making 2 versions of Smash Bros would be having more sales than Smash Brawl, right?

Can Smash Bros for 3DS & for Wii U sell more tan 2.4 million in Japan? 1.8 million for the 3DS version and 700.000 for the Wii U version should be doable but it won't be easy.

Atram

A good barometer to gauge if Nintendo was right making 2 versions of Smash Bros would be having more sales than Smash Brawl, right?

Can Smash Bros for 3DS & for Wii U sell more tan 2.4 million in Japan? 1.8 million for the 3DS version and 700.000 for the Wii U version should be doable but it won't be easy.

everything depends on the 3DS Version + How different the WiiU Version will be + How much will Amiibo affect SSB in the Season and in the long run.

Hellraider

Are we talking LTD? Smash 3DS alone is gonna destroy 2.4 in Japan.

Nibel

Bayonetta 2 bombing like expected; I think it's going to do a tad better in the west. At least for Platinum it's not a risky project.

Kysen

I started watching a play through of Yokai watch on YT, the game looks like a better version of Pokemon. Tempted to buy the first game and try it out.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

I think that doing the 3ds version of Smash could be the best decision Nintendo ever made in this gen, in terms of pure "Japanese software sales".
It is their flagship title together with Kart and Pokemon; it is heavily multiplayer-based; portable consoles are way more popular in Japan than home consoles; phenomena like MH saw a huge increase exactly because of their new portability, that exploited the local multiplayer action.
On the other side, I think that this will be a nail in the Wii U coffin (compared to a unique exclusive Wii U version effect).
So, we should understand if the revenue gauged by the 3DS version will be enought to justify the probable anticipated Wii U departure from the market (accepting that Smash could have changed Wii U weekly sales pace)

Orgen

Are we talking LTD? Smash 3DS alone is gonna destroy 2.4 in Japan.

Destroy?

orly.jpg

Just like the 3DS version could kill any system seller potential of the Wii U version, I think that the Wii U version could damage the legs of the 3DS version. And selling 2.5 million is not small feat (despite YW2 doing it recently).

And Aostia yeah, we should take in account revenues, profits and costs (I'm pretty sure that making both versions will cost more than making only Brawl) but sadly we won't know these numbers :(

zeromcd73

Does it even matter though? Here's some perspective: With just two releases, Yokai Watch has sold more as a franchise than the first 5 releases of Inazuma Eleven combined. It has also sold more than the first 4 releases of Layton combined.
You're absolutely right. I love the Youkai Watch games, but would be a little sad if that's the only thing Level 5 does from now on :(

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
And Aostia yeah, we should take in account revenues, profits and costs (I'm pretty sure that making both versions will cost than making only Brawl) but sadly we won't know these numbers :(

you are right.

You're absolutely right. I love the Youkai Watch games, but would be a little sad if that's the only thing Level 5 does from now on :(

I thkn they'll invest the money/revenue from YW to do more YW but also other new IPs (looking for their next success).

They did it with Layton --> Inazuma and Little Battlers
With the revenue gained from those, they invested to try finding new "targets":

Cinderella RPG (girlish rpg?)
Time Traveler (visual novel?)
the entire Guild series was even structured as an ensemble of "tests"
Fantasy Life (lite AC or lite MMO?)
Wonderflick (fp2 rpg, crossing mobile/dedicated console?)

In the meantime they invested in a new cross-media project, looking for the POkemon-genre, with Yokai Watch.

I firmly believe that they'll invest into Wonderflick console promotion, into another mobile project, and into another couple of new "classic videogame" (more portable than home) products.

EDIT: No L5 World/Vision announced this year yet?!

Hellraider

Destroy?
Just like the 3DS version could kill any system seller potential of the Wii U version, I think that the Wii U version could damage the legs of the 3DS version. And selling 2.5 million is not small feat (despite YW2 doing it recently).

Why would the inferior (this applies only to the japanese market) version kill the legs of the superior version?

Yup, 2.5m would be huge. I expect Smash 3DS to be massive, though. It's got everything on its side. Great hardware (sales wise), perfect timing, new revision, portability, big games alongside that don't compete with it and finally the Monster Hunter fanbase.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Smash 3DS will be a 2m+ seller but it remains to bee seen if it will join the 3m+ sellers club.

I agree.
Only insane legs (as Brawl's ones) would guarantee that goal.
Btw, the more popular the 3ds version will be, imho, the bigger the damage for the Wii U version will be.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Do you have any information regarding hardware? Is the game helping 3DS to sell or are people waiting for the New 3DS?

I'm not ioi. Maybe famitsu will also give hw if we have a report tomorrow.

Personally I'm expecting a small bump but nothing spectacular.

Atram

I agree.
Only insane legs (as Brawl's ones) would guarantee that goal.
Btw, the more popular the 3ds version will be, imho, the bigger the damage for the Wii U version will be.

I think the WiiU situation is more dmg to SSB than the 3DS Version.

Top Bottom