• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was there a POTD?

bc1RkrX.gif

Man, I loved Dedede in Brawl. It's great to see that he's better in the new games.

Oidisco

So are there any videos showing off good combos for link? I've managed to do well with Mario and Villager, but I just can't get a handle on Link.

Masked Man

I said wow
PotD just talks about Conquest Mode again. When you play online With Anyone and choose one of the characters featured in the current Conquest, your results will automatically be added to the tally for that round. Your results will be discarded if you obviously throw the match (in order to lower one of the character's scores), and the system will not calculate results for people who have participated "too many times."

Interesting system!

Does anyone have a translation for the online stat page?

• Number of Matches
  • Wins
  • Streak
  • Last Place
  • Win Rate
  • Win Rate - Last 10 Matches
  • Win Rate - Last 50 Matches
  • Place Rate (second place or higher in four-person FFA, otherwise first place)
  • Place Rate - Last 10 Matches
  • Place Rate - Last 50 Matches
  • Place Rate - Last 100 Matches
  • KOs
  • Average KOs / Match
  • Falls
  • Average Falls / Match
  • Damage Dealt
  • Damage Received
  • Sudden Death Matches
  • Sudden Death Wins
  • Sudden Death Win Rate
  • Weak Attack KOs
  • Strong Attack KOs
  • Smash Attack KOs
  • Aerial Attack KOs
  • Special Move KOs
  • Meteor Smash KOs
  • Throw KOs
  • Rebound (getting up from the ground) KOs
  • Climbing (getting back over the ledge) KOs
  • Other KOs
  • Disconnected by Quitting
  • Disconnected for Inactivity
  • Disconnected for SDs
  • Disconnected for Bullying (targeting only one person)
  • Disconnected for Cheating

munchie64

Pic of the day is still 3DS menus lol
zlCfzScfilUBnhSDdM

Pic of the day. Now that the game is out in Japan, the Conquest mode will be available in online multiplayer in the Japanese version. This is what the title screen will look like for the overseas version. In this mode, the game aggregates global wins among specific teams during a limited time and determines the victor. If you choose a participating fighter from the With Anyone option, you'll automatically participate in Conquest. We'll be running Conquest in beta for a while.

Also, Conquest data where players seem to be losing on purpose will be removed from the calculations. And lastly, there's no point in working on this mode too much on your own, so don't overdo it…

JoeInky

Previous characters (click to view)

Disclaimer: I can't read Japanese, so I may have missed certain effects that are hard to test (such as shieldbreaker properties) and I don't know the names of the custom moves so I've completely made them up.

This time around I'm taking a look at Bowser, who's probably had the biggest change between games out of any veteran, having lots of new animations, new properties and so on. His moves remain the same as they were in Brawl, but we might see something similar to a move in Melee make a return...

Neutral Special 1 (Flame Breath)

t6cclUg.jpg

The Neutral Special Bowser's had since Melee, except now the range has increased to just under half the range of battlefield (even if the particle effect makes it looks like it goes past half way).

The range will continually decrease whilst the button is held, reaching minimum range after 5 seconds, you'll need to not use the move again for around 10 seconds for the move to be back at full range, though it takes less time to recharge if you don't fully deplete the move.

You can angle Bowser's head ever so slightly to change the direction of the move and it only does 1% damage a hit, but it's multihit and covers a good portion of the screen. Using the move in the air or off the side of the stage makes it go diagonally downwards, so it's an alright option for covering the ledge.

Neutral Special 2 (Fireball)

ZtLJMZG.jpg

Reminiscent of Bowser's first appearance in Super Mario Bros, this variation allows Bowser to shoot large, piercing fireballs.

You can hold the button to keep shooting fireballs every ~0.75 seconds and they'll never decrease in range or damage and you can still angle Bowser's head to aim them.

The damage is increased, doing 5% for about half the distance and 4% for the rest, but this move is only single hit.

The downside to this move is that it covers less of the screen due to only being a single projectile, but the fact that you can use it without having to worry about not using it for another 10 seconds to get it back to full range is a good tradeoff, I prefer this move to the default.

Neutral Special 3 (Flash Fire)

wo2icAf.jpg

This variation increases the range and damage of the move, to over half the length of battlefield and 2-3% a hit, the flames hitbox also seem to get larger at the apex of the move, though I may be wrong.

The downside to the move is that the rate in which the flame loses range is much faster, taking only 2 seconds to go from maximum range to minimum range and taking an enormous 20 seconds to return to full range.

If you only use the default flame breath sparingly, then this is the move for you, as by the time you come to use it again it will probably be at max strength and the extra damage and range is a nice bonus.

Side Special 1 (Flying Slam)

pmBFBNZ.jpg
lxzT1CG.jpg
hMOvHCz.jpg

The Side Special that was new to Bowser in Brawl, he grabs whoever is standing next to him and launches both characters into the air, slamming down on the enemy for 18% damage and decent knockback, though the knockback isn't enough to be one of Bowser's kill moves (although it can be used to force a kill and an SD by directing the move offstage, useful if you have a stock lead or a major percentage deficit).

Both players have some level of control during the move, allowing the player with the lowest percentage to choose where Bowser lands, doesn't seem to have any super armour properties and, as it is a grab, you can use it on shielded enemies.

Side Special 2 (Dash Slam)

Fu3zTIK.jpg
K8b6w0S.jpg

Bowser dashes forward and grabs an opponent, this time launching both characters only half as high as the default, though the horizontal travel distance is still the same.

The move does less damage and the knockback - though similar in distance - is horizontal instead of vertical, so the knockback makes it more useful for setting up an edgeguard and the dash is useful for closing in on people.

The endlag doesn't seem to be changed at all, you lose out on 6% of damage (it only does 12%), and the height you travel makes it a bit harder to get suicide kills I guess, but it's a much better tool for getting people offstage and setting up an edgeguard whereas the default keeps people above the stage.

Side Special 3 (Koopa Klaw)

j9LTFF9.jpg

This time, the move completely loses it's ability to grab and is instead a single claw slash similar to the Melee Side B, except this time, Bowser dashes forward about half the length of battlefield, so it can also be used as part of your recovery, the short end lag and lack of special fall making it ideal for returning to the stage after being launched diagonally (Though you can't sweetspot the ledge with this, so don't try that, you may end up dying if you don't have your second jump).

This move does the least damage and knockback, being only 8% damage, and the slash only starts halfway through the dash, meaning you can whiff if someone is stood next to you. I'm guessing the purpose of this move is meant to be more of a help to your recovery and an option for getting close to an opponent quickly, though the fact that it isn't a grab anymore means it isn't safe on shields, so watch out for the punish.

Up Special 1 (Whirling Fortress)

3ZBKUY4.jpg

Bowser's standard recovery move has him hiding in his shell and spinning around, doing 11% damage if all of the move hits and minimal vertical knockback on the final hit.

You can move horizontally during the move whilst grounded and airborne (which will go around half the length of Battlefield), but you can only get some vertical distance out of it when the move is used in the air.

The shell part of his hitbox has projectile immunity, but only up to a certain threshold, so it will eat through weaker projectiles but not the more powerful ones like a Charge Beam or a Super Missile, everything underneath the shell is still vulnerable to all projectiles.

Up Special 2 (Rocket Fortress)

DhMSbMi.jpg

Sacrifices the multihit and horizontal travel for increased vertical distance and greater damage per hit (4% instead of 1%).

Used both whilst in the air and on the ground will launch Bowser upwards almost twice as much as his default recovery will go, so it's a good recovery move when used in conjunction with the Koopa Klaw, allowing you to get back to the stage in most situations and it's harder to edgeguard when used properly as you can use it quite far below the ledge (You can sweetspot the ledge on Battlefield if you use it and you're below the screen view) and the shell still has projectile immunity still so there's not too much you can do to stop it.

Up Special 3 (Fast Fortress)

FgGTd9Z.jpg

This variation loses the multihit for increased damage per hit (6% with this variation) and increased horizontal travel distance (it will traverse the entirety of the base platform on Battlefield).

There's not much else to say about this move, it has very minor changes but it is useful if you're going to be needing to return to the stage horizontally often, the knockback is lower than the default and the endlag is slightly longer so it's not really much good as a custom, too similar for my liking.

Down Special 1 (Bowser Bomb)

HiAYqpU.jpg

Bowser launches himself upwards - knocking anyone else in front of him upwards as well during the initial hitbox - and slams down into the ground, causing a total of 24% damage (4% on the rise, 20% on the slam, the move does combo into itself), heavy knockback and high shield damage.

The move does seem to eat through any projectile on the way down and you can use it to sweetspot the ledge (though if you miss, you are dead), but the endlag is very high and very punishable, so only use it when you need to.

There is also a very small hit box at either side of Bowser that does 11% damage as you slam into the ground.

Down Special 2 (Vortex Bomb)

rCxMV8u.jpg

When you use this variation whilst grounded, Bowser launches himself much further horizontally before slamming down, doing 4% on the initial hit and 9% on the slam.

Instead of damage and knockback, this move gives you probably one of the biggest and best push back hitboxes in the game, if someone else uses a recovery move that puts them into special fall and they don't sweetspot the ledge and you use this move practically anywhere near them, they will die.

The push back is strongest closest to Bowser and the push back is present both above and below him, albeit weaker than it is at his level, and the max horizontal range of the push back is around 1/3rd the length of Battlefield. Just don't forget about the increased horizontal jump when you're near the edge, you can easily kill yourself, instead jump first, that way he will just slam down instantly.

The knockback when you actually connect with the move - not the push back hitbox - is incredibly weak, not even being able to kill at 250%, but the rest of the move's properties seem to be the same, it will still beat projectiles and you can still sweetspot the ledge, the CPU wasn't being cooperative enough to test if it still breaks shields, but the fact they will always roll out of the way rather than shield the move makes me think it probably still breaks shields easily.

Down Special 3 (Quake Bomb)

JwJHRyK.jpg

This time the move has no hitbox on the rise, only on the slam which now does a slightly reduced 18% on this move.

But this move has a secondary hitbox that hits anyone on the ground close to you for 4% damage and causes trip, the trip hitbox isn't massive, but it's still bigger than it looks, extending about a 1/3rd of the length of Battlefield at either side of Bowser.

Useful if you're planning on missing a lot with the Bowser Bomb, but the endlag is still too long to make the trip effect of much use.

The rest of the move properties are the same, goes through projectiles, can sweetspot ledge, shieldbreaker and the knockback is very similar, though it may be slightly lower.

Final Thoughts

BOWSER IS TOP TIER BAN BOWSER PLS

Nah, I like Bowser in this game, he feels like a very solid character, not top tier, but very solid. People will be able to do good things with him and the new recovery options his specials give him as well as classic moves like the Fireball or Koopa Claw should give us some pretty different Bowser playstyles.

With the Koopa Klaw and the Rocket Fortress, he's able to go deeper than ever before, and with the Vortex Bomb equipped, he'll be able to keep them offstage where he can make use of his good edgeguard abilities more often.

Also gone is the old, lumbering Bowser that you could play keepaway with ease and keep peppering him with projectiles, with the Fast Fortress and Dash Slam he can and will close that distance whilst being immune to projectiles and punish any shield attempts you might make.

My personal loadout for him would be 2322, the fireball is a really fun and 'Bowser-y' move to use and the Koopa Claw + Rocket Fortress means that his recovery ability is really good, it's fun to push people off stage with a well place Vortex Bomb and then use the Koopa Claw dash and other aerials to keep them off.

Up next:
fIqapNi.jpg

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
True enough, but LttP Link has the wrong hair too. Seems most likely to me since these things aren't 1:1 anyway.

If you're referring to the pink hair, the rest of his costume would also be wrong, since a more accurate aLttP sprite colourscheme would be like this:

j1BtKrDAfCHR.png

PotD just talks about Conquest Mode again. When you play online With Anyone and choose one of the characters featured in the current Conquest, your results will automatically be added to the tally for that round. Your results will be discarded if you obviously throw the match (in order to lower one of the character's scores), and the system will not calculate results for people who have participated "too many times."

Interesting system!

• Number of Matches
  • Wins
  • Streak
  • Last Place
  • Win Rate
  • Win Rate - Last 10 Matches
  • Win Rate - Last 50 Matches
  • Place Rate (second place or higher in four-person FFA, otherwise first place)
  • Place Rate - Last 10 Matches
  • Place Rate - Last 50 Matches
  • Place Rate - Last 100 Matches
  • KOs
  • Average KOs / Match
  • Falls
  • Average Falls / Match
  • Damage Dealt
  • Damage Received
  • Sudden Death Matches
  • Sudden Death Wins
  • Sudden Death Win Rate
  • Weak Attack KOs
  • Strong Attack KOs
  • Smash Attack KOs
  • Aerial Attack KOs
  • Special Move KOs
  • Meteor Smash KOs
  • Throw KOs
  • Rebound (getting up from the ground) KOs
  • Climbing (getting back over the ledge) KOs
  • Other KOs
  • Disconnected by Quitting
  • Disconnected for Inactivity
  • Disconnected for SDs
  • Disconnected for Bullying (targeting only one person)
  • Disconnected for Cheating

Wow, that's a good stats page.

Really? Is this in 7 or 8? I've never played as MM online in either so... Interesting.

I'm surprised some people haven't started targeting Rosalina players only in MK8.

then again I suppose Nintendo can't tell the difference between targeting Rosalina players and playing normally with how many there are Kappa

Berordn

If you're referring to the pink hair, the rest of his costume would also be wrong, since a more accurate aLttP sprite colourscheme would be like this:

Well that's kind of what meant. If it is a LttP color scheme then it's already taking some liberties so I could see the blue one being blue mail/ring. We've already got FD Link taking more than a few liberties with that design.

Course it could be an Oracles scheme and this is moot.

Looking at Serebii, I find it interesting that Zoroark can be found in a Master Ball. I guess it's still considered somewhat special, but then I realize Goldeen is also considered a Master Ball Pokemon. That's awful. XD

And no love for the Tepig line this Smash.

georly

JediLink

Samus having the Shinespark is the best thing I've heard all week. That move is the one thing I really miss in the 3D Metroids.
The 3D Metroids are Prime 1, 2 and 3. There are none other that exist.

This is the one I got: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008ZXBYJU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's not cheap, but it seems good to me and as long as you're careful, it's not difficult to remove. There's a tab below the touchscreen you can pull on to lift the 3DS XL up. I still wouldn't want to take it on and off a lot though, for fear of scraping the 3DS XL or something. I just leave the stylus out all the time and there's no reason to remove the grip.

Despite the rubber coating mention, the grips are quite firm, not squishy.

All right. Went ahead and ordered it. Not currently in stock, but should be to me by the 23rd. Assuming it's then or close to it, that'll be plenty of time for the US release.

Revven

Dang, Bowser fireball as a custom move... and it sounds very similar to what the PM Dev Team were working on a few years ago. That is going to be a crazy move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom