• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hatchtag

Banned
RIP Sami/Andy.
aZaBCzH.jpg

emb

So...those with the full game, who's the most used character right now? Obviously, it'll change in the coming weeks with the metagame and all that, but I'm curious who people think is the shit right now.

Also, who seems to have the most potential but is currently underutilized. Y'know like the whole IC situation from Brawl. Kind of brushed under the rug until some guy figured out how to use them effectively. I'm getting the idea that Mac and Rosie are those kinds of characters, but I dunno, haven't watched lots of streams to keep myself fresh for the full game.
Just from watching streams, it seems like a lot of characters are being slept on. Some characters I hardly ever see. No doubt some of them are just bad. But more than anything I think for now it's just... this game has a whole lot of characters.

bumpkin

Hmm, so I noticed with the early access demo that every time I quit, it basically reboots my 3DS XL. When I asked about it, someone said it was because the demo sucks up all the 3DS' RAM...

Can anyone with the Japanese release of the game confirm whether or not it does the same thing as the demo? I'm just wondering.

Zubz

Banned
WHATWAHWAT!? STILL HAS 16 UNLOCKEABLE CHARACTERS!?

tumblr_inline_nbv30voJi21rvlclt.gif

I was afraid for a second someone actually found 16 unlocks through special means (My mind jumped to Wii U connection thanks to Spainkiller; any new word on that other than 3/4 already having trophies in the 3DS version? I want to believe its Sakurai pulling subterfuge, but...); other than Ridley, who else viable doesn't have a trophy yet (I'm sure one's there). I'm really hoping DLC characters just disregard those trophies and give them new trophies. Because honestly, out of the characters I wanted, everyone's either 3rd Party or already has a trophy but Sami and Mach Rider (To my knowledge; I can't find that list of all known trophies anywhere!)

Also, did we ever figure out why Metal Face was in the stinger at the end of Shulk's trailer? I haven't heard he's a stage boss; does he appear in any way, shape, or form?

And did anyone ever think the fanfic writer was just simply an obsessive lurker who's reveling in the chaos?

rekameohs

Banned
Hmm, so I noticed with the early access demo that every time I quit, it basically reboots my 3DS XL. When I asked about it, someone said it was because the demo sucks up all the 3DS' RAM...

Can anyone with the Japanese release of the game confirm whether or not it does the same thing as the demo? I'm just wondering.

Yes, it will do that.

The New 3DS will have enough RAM where it won't need to do this, but Smash 4 is pushing the original 3DS to its limit.

Tenck

Wow, so Nintendo really banning because of disconnects and bullying?

Not bad. They are taking Smash seriously.

What is the threshold for bullying and disconnects?

Was my only disconnect lol. So it's pretty low. Do keep in mind I did it through menu too, not through powering off my 3DS. So it could be a bit more lenient for legitimate reasons like 3DS powering off.

Well, just right in the first post of this thread reveals that there is still 16 more characters to unlock into the game. I just know that one of these charcacters are Falco Lombardi and Ness.

wait so there's more than what we got altogether? has the game been data mined or something?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe they're Wii U exclusive trophies?

It would be weird for Isaac to be anything-exclusive in the Wii U version since his entire series is portable.

It's more likely that Golden Sun has just been left in a ditch somewhere. Ridley is a bigger question.

georly

Maybe they're Wii U exclusive trophies?

Isaac has been exclusively handheld, no? Doesn't make sense to make his trophy exclusively console.

It would be weird for Isaac to be anything-exclusive in the Wii U version since his entire series is portable.

It's more likely that Golden Sun has just been left in a ditch somewhere. Ridley is a bigger question.

Beat me

I thought so too, but it'll probably be in the Wii U version.

No videos to be found at all on 3DS version afaik. Probably to keep download size smaller. Especially since screenshots/replays take up SD space.

Guys who were the rumored characters that a long time member of gaf said his source told him that he definitely saw playable? Im telling my bro about it but I only remember mewtwo and ridley

JoeInky

Previous characters (click to view)

Disclaimer: I can't read Japanese, so I may have missed certain effects that are hard to test (such as shieldbreaker properties) and I don't know the names of the custom moves so I've completely made them up.

This time it's my favourite Brawl newcomer, Pikmin & Olimar, except this time Alph is along to join the ride. I never liked playing Olimar in Brawl for some reason, maybe this time around I'll enjoy him more, because the Pikmin series is easily in my top 3 favourite series along with DK and Metroid.

Neutral Special 1 (Pikmin Pluck)

m8rAyLy.jpg
fi6lJd2.jpg

Pressing the button, if you have less than 3 Pikmin in play, will pluck a Pikmin out of the ground, using the move with 3 active Pikmin or using it in the air will cause the animation to play but nothing will happen.

Pikmin come out in a set order (Red -> Yellow -> Blue -> White -> Purple -> Red -> ...) and each individual Pikmin type has different properties when used in aerials and smashes (properties when a Pikmin latches onto an enemy will be in the Pikmin Throw section) and resistances.

Red - Resistant to fire damage, causes fire damage, average throw distance, increased base damage, average knockback
Blue - Resistant to water, causes normal damage, average throw distance, low base damage, average knockback
Yellow - Resistant to electricity, causes electrical damage, gets thrown higher, low base damage, average knockback.
White - Weaker than average pikmin (?), causes dark damage, throws the furthers, lowest base damage, average knockback.
Purple - Resistant to nothing, causes normal damage, shortest thrown distance and can't latch on, highest base damage, highest knockback.

There's not really much else to say about this move, it's doesn't really do much other than enable 75% of your moveset really.

Neutral Special 2 (Tough Pikmin)

wH3W172.jpg
mac2YuF.jpg

Very similar to the default move, except that it takes almost 3 times longer and it takes more to kill a Pikmin, haven't been able to do much testing on exactly how much more it takes to kill these Pikmin, the CPUs aren't exactly co-operative enough.

The pluck animation is very slow in this move, but the increased toughness could be worth it if you plan carefully, I've thrown a Pikmin into a fully charged Charge Beam from Samus and it came out unscathed, the increased toughness seems to also apply whilst they're latched on, so it's going to take someone a hit or two more to get rid of them.

Doesn't seem to change any of the Pikmin's damage properties or anything.

Neutral Special 3 (Explosive Pluck)

PknVsvm.jpg

Everything about a Pikmin's properties seems exactly the same as the default special, except for the fact that in this one the Pikmin creates a small explosion when it's plucked doing damage and knockback dependent on the pikmin type.

Red - 8%, small knockback.
Yellow - 8%, smaller knockback.
Blue - 8%, small knockback.
White - 5% small knockback.
Purple - 10% largest knockback.

The tradeoff with this move is that the endlag is higher than the default and the Pikmin is launched high into the air, meaning you can't actually use the Pikmin in an attack as quickly as you can with the default special.

Side Special 1 (Pikmin throw)

PJtg9xS.jpg

Throws a Pikmin, if it hits an enemy it will latch on and starting doing damage over time until it either falls off, gets knocked off or gets killed. Purple Pikmin, on the other hand, will not latch on at all, instead just doing damage and knockback.

Each Pikmin will normally hit 8 times whilst latched on, though you can get unlucky and only get 7 hits. Red, Blue, and Yellow Pikmin do 1-2% a hit and on average will do 10% total damage, White Pikmin do 2-3% damage and on average will do 20% total damage and the Purple Pikmin do 6-7% damage and decent knockback.

Side Special 2 (Speedy Pikmin)

OPFYmXS.jpg

Universally decreases throwing distance in exchange for more damage during almost the same time frame, Pikmin will attack every ~half second instead of every second for a total of 14 hits.

The damage per hit seems generally decreased, with Red, Blue and Yellow Pikmin only doing only 1% damage for 14% total, White Pikmin do 2% damage for a total of 28% and Purple Pikmin only do 5% damage and knockback equivalent to the default.

Side Special 3 (Butterfinger Pikmin)

bm3ma3c.jpg

In this variation, all Pikmin types act like Purple Pikmin, completely losing the ability to latch on and instead doing one stronger hit and average knockback.

Red, Yellow and Blue Pikmin do 5% damage, White Pikmin do 3% damage and Purple Pikmin do 8% damage.

I guess the advantage of this move is that they're harder to kill due to not being stuck to the player and that you'll be able to throw them again sooner due to them not latching on anymore, can't quite tell whether this move is actually good or not, it seems like a downgrade but I guess it depends on how easy your opponent finds it to efficiently remove Pikmin.

Up Special 1 (Flying Pikmin)

rsNqGVZ.jpg
In9d18x.jpg

Olimar's new recovery that replaces the Pikmin Chain from Brawl, lets you travel somewhat freely through the sky after a short delay, can be cancelled at any time by executing an aerial, though you will still be put into special fall after the aerial.

Provides no offensive capabilities whatsoever and the distance travelled (as well as the initial delay) scale with the number of Pikmin you currently have, with 0 being the furthest and quickest and 3 being the shortest and slowest.

There also seems to be measure put into place to stop the move from being spammed, if you keep using the move, the travel distance will keep decreasing, not using the move for a while will refresh the move back to full strength.

Up Special 2 (Weak Flying Pikmin)

G1YzVt4.jpg
RZZitsL.jpg

These Pikmin are natural born sprinters, very good over short distances, but they tire out quite quickly!

This variation gets rid of the initial delay so you're less vulnerable, but it only travels about 3/4s as far and you lose out on horizontal distance.

This move still has the gradual reduction if you spam it, but an upside is that the number of Pikmin you're carrying doesn't matter, it will always go the same distance with or without Pikmin.

Also of note is that the start of this move has very minor push back, though it's so small that the benefit is almost negligible.

Up Special 3 (Hard-working Pikmin)

5afXukQ.jpg

These Pikmin have got a sweat on, must be because they're always working hard trying to carry Olimar as far as they can. In this variation, Olimar has as much control over his flight path as the default special, but he lacks the distance of it and moves as far as the second Up Special.

The number of Pikmin he carries doesn't seem to effect the travel distance either, the main difference in this variation seems to be that the recharge rate of the Pikmin, that is, the rate at which they return to full strength after being used, seems to be quicker than that of the other specials, so you can use it more often.

Down Special 1 (Whistle)

YzfydxM.jpg

Olimar toots his whistle, bringing any stray Pikmin back to him and bringing the second-in-line Pikmin up to the front and sending the Pikmin that was first to the back.

Pikmin can only be called back to you if they're on the ground it seems, which is a change from Brawl if I remember correctly.

Down Special 2 (Crash Whistle)

HESLRp8.jpg

What this move does isn't immediately apparent, but basically, it increases the endlag on the move and causes Pikmin to do one final hit before they jump off (final hit damage depends on your side special but it's equivalent to one hit basically).

When they do jump off, the launch themselves higher into the air and come falling down behind you, if they hit someone whilst falling down, they do another hit for a small amount damage and knockback. Red, Yellow and Blue do 3%, White does 2% and Purple does 5%

This honestly seems a bit pointless to me personally, but I never mained Olimar in Brawl so maybe it has some use that I'm not aware of.

Down Special 3 (Shrill Whistle)

yZyxNsx.jpg

This whistle variation does 1% damage, sucks people towards you and makes them face away from you.

The endlag is increased and the damage isn't very useful, but it may be good for disrupting people every now and then?

Final Thoughts

I don't really have much to say about Olimar, his custom moves are about as tame as you'd expect considering what the defaults are, I think the Tough Pikmin and Speedy Pikmin are a good combination, you get that increased damage and the Pikmin are harder to knock off as well, seems good to me. Hopefully Olimar players in Smash 4 will be able to show us some interesting stuff with him because at a low level, the customs leave much to be desired.

Up next:
va2Da7t.jpg

DrStiles

Isaac has been exclusively handheld, no? Doesn't make sense to make his trophy exclusively console.
Beat me

I totally agree that it would be weird since Golden Sun has only been on portables. Was just throwing it out there as a way to keep the faith, because as has been said it's most likely that Golden Sun is just out of Smash all together.

As for Ridley, given that he is at least connected to Pyrosphere somehow, it would make no sense for there not to be a trophy of him.

georly

Oh man, did you take that picture yourself? That's pretty clever.

I totally agree that it would be weird since Golden Sun has only been on portables. Was just throwing it out there as a way to keep the faith, because as has been said it's most likely that Golden Sun is just out of Smash all together.

As for Ridley, given that he is at least connected to Pyrosphere somehow, it would make no sense for there not to be a trophy of him.

Quick question you made me think of - Would anyone PAY for trophy dlc? Literally nothing but 100+ trophies to earn. That's it.

sfz

Banned
Oh man, did you take that picture yourself? That's pretty clever.

Quick question you made me think of - Would anyone PAY for trophy dlc? Literally nothing but 100+ trophies to earn. That's it.

I wouldn't since I never touched trophies in Brawl.

RagnarokX

jUwx6RGOAMry9_e.jpg

I still don't know what the hell this outfit is based on.

guys you're on the right track but you're overshooting a bit

link_bluewykkd.gif

it's the blue ring from zelda 1

But it doesn't look like the blue ring. It's much darker blue and the sleeves are the wrong color.

It could be a mix of the two mails from ALBW:
Yoyt9sr.png

Blue mail tunic, red mail undershirt.

True enough, but LttP Link has the wrong hair too. Seems most likely to me since these things aren't 1:1 anyway.

4GSGeAo.jpg

CaVoq3y.jpg

BWTAtmW.jpg

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Well as far as Golden Sun is concerned it is on Wii U Virtual Console and Japan even gets The Lost Age which I'm jealous about.

So if Isaac gets a Wii U exclusive trophy there is a obscure reason why.

DrStiles

I wouldn't pay just for a trophy pack, but I would want some new trophies included in any character or stage packs that may or may not get released. That I would pay for.

jnWake

Olimar's customs are weird but there wasn't much they could do with him anyway. I loved the descriptions and the names you gave them JoeInky!

Customs probably had a part in removing transformation moves too. Along with 3DS hardware of course.

I wonder what the Monado Arts customs are. I'd guess it's something like longer but smaller effects and shorter but bigger effects though.

Wait... shofu just said on his stream that zero called Sonic likely one of the top 5 characters in the game. Is that right? Holy crap that's a huge turnaround if true.

I just saw Mario do a 71% combo on a Bowser and then flawlessly 2 stock him.

Maybe it's just REALLY balanced this time around. I keep hearing news about how a different character is amazing. Pac Man, Duck Hunt, Ness, ZSS, Sonic, Mario, Bowser, Yoshi... it seems like I hear multiple different "OP" claims every day.

emb

Maybe it's just REALLY balanced this time around. I keep hearing news about how a different character is amazing. Pac Man, Duck Hunt, Ness, ZSS, Sonic, Mario, Bowser, Yoshi... it seems like I hear multiple different "OP" claims every day.
Well, it's just early. I think at the beginning, people are optimistic about most of the characters.

But yeah, I've heard a lot of those too. I'd be pretty happy with any/all of those being strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom