• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Formless

According to his tests, Jigglypuff can survive for 5% longer when using this mechanic against Game and Watch's smash. So it isn't as powerful as the 100 -> 80 example might suggest.

EDIT: Read the testing character wrong

Pyrokai

Never realized Wario was buff.

He's definitely been cutting, at least.

mario-sonic-at-the-olympic-games-nintendo-dsartwork2112c-wario-01-ad-copy.jpg

Or maybe it's because he's been concealing his arms:

20070117_warioware_wario.jpg

Vashzaron

Hey has this been pointed out? Potentially interesting, so heres texture rips. https://mega.co.nz/#!I8tAQTxA!nPwyw_7tWJi96dzzCeOlsK_fTYdTLgXzPLRe4tqWsf0

Extract and search for chr_10_page you'll find these.
EL2JT9L.png
8OvNlkf.png

Their file names are "chr_10_page_1.tex (AFE29875-55.bin)_0" and "chr_10_page_2.tex (AFE29875-56.bin)_0" They are grouped and the same size as character select icons.

Checked out stages and the same thing exists too.
oy0GXfG.png
NzSyEjq.png

stage_10_page_1.tex (0DFEFCCA-39.bin)_0 & stage_10_page_2.tex (0DFEFCCA-40.bin)_0

Looks like something that could be used for DLC, doesn't confirm anything for sure as they could be left overs from when the CSS or such was bigger but yeah think this would fit so well with that current gap in the stage select screen.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
So basically vectoring works how I thought DI worked before researching the subject. Push the stick in the direction you want to go. Simple. Though diagonals doing double duty is strange. If you've dabbled in simple game creation, like making a top down shooter with 4 direction keys, you'll run into a problem where diagonal directions go much faster than up/down/left/right because of the combined value. I'm question what purpose it's inclusion has for vectoring in smash, especially considering the blast zone is a box which means the furthest boundries are in the corners. If you have even more vector influence diagonally it makes it even harder to kill at the corners.

JoeInky

According to his tests, Jigglypuff can survive for 5% longer when using this mechanic against Bowser's charged fsmash. So it isn't as powerful as the 100 -> 80 example might suggest.

He also mentioned later on that a sheik DThrow -> Uair combo that was working into the 80% mark, didn't even work at 40 when he used vectoring properly.

It could be a pretty big and negative change for the game.

ffdgh

He also mentioned later on that a sheik DThrow -> Uair combo that was working into the 80% mark, didn't even work at 40 when he used vectoring properly.

Goodbye mario uptilt combos...

Formless

This is true. It means alot of the combos people have found may not work reliably.

Hatchtag

Banned
Wot.

nuuF90H.png

img-00000(us_en).tex (279A0ED6-0.bin)_0

Multiman melee. Probably made icons for up to 8 to see how many it could have and still run well/be fun to play, then scaled it back accordingly.

These are nothing to freak out over, they've been in at least the past two smash games.

Timeaisis

Vectoring, eh? Makes infinitely more sense than DI, imo. I, for one, an interested in a new escape mechanic. DI was too counterintuitive. If scaled properly, I don't think it's fair to write this as a a bad thing at all. The old guard of competitive Smash is too finicky. Change is cool and interesting. It allows some fresh players to learn the mechanics along with the pros. I like it.

As for eliminating combos, that's completely theoretical at this point. I highly doubt it.

As for the hitstun shuffle, sounds like SDI, not vectoring.

Just finished recording our epic, five-hour Smash 3DS stream on GameXplain's Twitch channel! We had a lot of fun, hope to do it again soon. Not sure if any of you watched, but if so, I hope you had a good time!

Apparently all my focusing on and practicing with Mega Man has paid off; I even surprised myself with how vicious I've become with him when I played those matches against Andre at the end of the stream. Mega Man really isn't shitty, he just has a really high learning curve and is all about his air and pressure games.

Okay, off to go practice with him some more! He's so fun to play!

Neiteio

Hey has this been pointed out? Potentially interesting, so heres texture rips. https://mega.co.nz/#!I8tAQTxA!nPwyw_7tWJi96dzzCeOlsK_fTYdTLgXzPLRe4tqWsf0

EL2JT9L.png
8OvNlkf.png

Their file names are "chr_10_page_1.tex (AFE29875-55.bin)_0" and "chr_10_page_2.tex (AFE29875-56.bin)_0" They are grouped and the same size as character select icons.

oy0GXfG.png
NzSyEjq.png

stage_10_page_1.tex (0DFEFCCA-39.bin)_0 & stage_10_page_2.tex (0DFEFCCA-40.bin)_0

Looks like something that could be used for DLC, doesn't confirm anything for sure as they could be left overs from when the CSS or such was bigger but yeah think this would fit so well with that current gap in the stage select screen.
So in theory these icons would page over to a new Character Select Screen or a new Stage Select Screen where the DLC characters and stages would go? In that case, they could add a lot more DLC characters than just four...

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

I'm going to suggest people to be cautious with the hype because it don't meant we would get DLC characters and stages.

It's possible that it could be old arrow buttons for old CSS before they decided to shrink down the icon sizes, and it could meant for DLC characters and stages. Who know!

Revven

So in theory these icons would page over to a new Character Select Screen or a new Stage Select Screen where the DLC characters and stages would go? In that case, they could add a lot more DLC characters than just four...

This is assuming those arrows weren't just in the original CSS before they took the names out of the character icons. After all, those arrows don't look too hot compared to the final menu icons and such.

Either way, it's theoretical at this point.

So basically vectoring works how I thought DI worked before researching the subject. Push the stick in the direction you want to go. Simple. Though diagonals doing double duty is strange. If you've dabbled in simple game creation, like making a top down shooter with 4 direction keys, you'll run into a problem where diagonal directions go much faster than up/down/left/right because of the combined value. I'm question what purpose it's inclusion has for vectoring in smash, especially considering the blast zone is a box which means the furthest boundries are in the corners. If you have even more vector influence diagonally it makes it even harder to kill at the corners.

I'm incredibly dumbfounded because this is what I believed to be what DI was. Now I know not to change anything.

Just finished recording our epic, five-hour Smash 3DS stream on GameXplain's Twitch channel! We had a lot of fun, hope to do it again soon. Not sure if any of you watched, but if so, I hope you had a good time!

Apparently all my focusing on and practicing with Mega Man has paid off; I even surprised myself with how vicious I've become with him when I played those matches against Andre at the end of the stream. Mega Man really isn't shitty, he just has a really high learning curve and is all about his air and pressure games.

Okay, off to go practice with him some more! He's so fun to play!

I was able to watch about 3 hours of it! It was great to see you guys play and talk about the game. My favorite moment had to be when that Eddie player (played Dedede really well) just started to let you guys win. xD

EL2JT9L.png
8OvNlkf.png

oy0GXfG.png
NzSyEjq.png

giphy.gif

So are we expecting any major technical/mechanical differences between 3DS and Wii U? Aside from better graphics, of course. I wonder if one will be more competitive-friendly than the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom