• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dimmle

Looking back on that Palutena reveal: the Dark Pit tease at the end is so obvious. Not sure why his leak seemed so surprising.

JoeInky

Previous characters (click to view, Link done by georly)

Disclaimer: I can't read Japanese, so I may have missed certain effects that are hard to test (such as shieldbreaker properties) and I don't know the names of the custom moves so I've completely made them up.

Beep Boop, it's Mr. Game & Watch! Who is probably the only thing cooler than ROB and probably my favourite newcomer in Melee because I actually knew what a Game & Watch and owned several, unlike the majority of people that were my age at the time.

And he has a new walk animation where his head faces the opposite direction, as if looking at some invisible falling wrench, it's so "game and watch"-y it's just brilliant.

Neutral Special 1 (Chef)

Ew9erLg.jpg

Mr. Game & Watch flings sausages, various fish and steak from a frying pan with random horizontal and vertical speed, you can throw 5 consecutively before having to wait for a short delay before more can be thrown.

Each food item does 4% damage and minor hitstun but barely any knockback, and you can hit people with the frying pan itself for 5% damage (they'll also be hit by whatever food comes out at the same time and take the extra 4% for a total of 9%) and increased horizontal knockback.

Neutral Special 2 (Iron Chef)

SU83TnU.jpg

Mr. Game and Watch is cooking up some very large ingredients this time around, he might not be able to throw them as fast or as far, but they cover a bigger portion of the screen and do more damage, with the fish doing 7%, the steaks doing 8% and the sausages doing 9% (they also do slightly more knockback). Though hitting people with the frying pan only does 2% for this custom.

They have slower horizontal speed though, so they don't go very far, though they do go quite high up first.

Neutral Special 3 (Fast Food Chef)

A8rPlz6.jpg

This time, he's cooking much quicker than the default, though you do have to worry about whether the food is actually fully cooked or not, because they don't do as much damage, only 1% for the fish and 2% for the steak and sausages, the pan also only does 1% so it can't be very hot either.

Mr. Game & Watch's range is a bit long with this version, as they don't have as much vertical speed and therefore won't make big arcing paths into the sky.

Side Special 1 (Judge)

Mr. Game and Watch lays his judgement upon you, his verdict? "2/9, would not KO".

This move has him swinging his hammer and choosing a random number between 1 and 9, with the number determining damage, knockback and any other side effects.

OdYDbGN.jpg

A 1 will inflict 12% damage on yourself whilst only doing 2% to an enemy and no hitstun.

Jn3xRcG.jpg

The 2 has a chance to cause a trip and only does 4% damage.

tCDCdkH.jpg

3 will do 6% damage and knock the opponent towards you. Also, if it's anything like Brawl, it will also deal a large amount of shield damage.

sGUmLtE.jpg

The 4 slashes the enemy for 8% damage and knocks them diagonally away from you.

MyqipkH.jpg

A 5 is a multihit electrical attack that does a total of 12% damage if all 4 hits connect.

HMFk565.jpg

The 6 will burn the enemy and do 12% damage and minor knockback.

5qomXqS.jpg

A lucky 7 will do 14% damage, small knockback and spawn an apple that can be eaten to recover 4% health.

9TkXEfC.jpg

An 8 will only do 9% damage but it freezes, potentially setting you up for another hit, if their percentage is high enough.

lky6iee.jpg

The rare 9 will do a massive 32% damage and is capable of killing Samus from the center of Battlefield at as low as 20%

In previous games, once you got one number, you couldn't get that number again for the next two uses, to try to make the move have more variance, but in smash 4, it's completely random (I got four 5's in a row).

Side Special 2 (Hyperbolic Judge)

MKqWkye.jpg
cTdeelR.jpg

This judge only deals in extremes, everything is either a 1 or a 9, the 1 does less damage to you (5% instead of 12%) and more damage to the opponent (5% instead of 2) as well as having hitstun and knockback, but the 9 has been nerfed, with only 23% damage and knockback that, whilst still significant, won't KO Samus until around 30%.

The chance of getting a 1 or a 9 definitely isn't 50-50 from what I can tell, the 1 has more weight, but you can still get many multiple of both numbers, I got four 9's in a row once.

Side Special 3 (Multi Judge)

AtIzsk6.jpg

This time, instead of each number having different effects, they all do mostly the same thing - hit the number of times it says on the board with the final hit being a different amount of damage and higher knockback.

You hit with a 1 - 1. Total 1%
You hit with a 2 - 3, 2. Total 5%
You hit with a 3 - 3, 3, 3. Total 9%
You hit with a 4 - 3, 3, 3, 2. Total 11%
You hit with a 5 - 3, 3, 3, 3, 3. Total 15%
You hit with a 6 - 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 2. Total 17%
You hit with a 7 - 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 4. Total 22%
You hit with an 8 - 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 5. Total 26%
You hit with a 9 - 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 10. Total 34%

The 1 is the only number that does no hitstun or knockback and the 9 has less KO power, being similar to the second side special and only being able to kill Samus at 30% (at the start of the move, the extra damage caused by the move before the final hit helps the KO obviously).

Though I imagine the move can be SDI'd out of, the move is still pretty damn satisfying to use.

Up Special 1 (Fire)

ATJJlep.jpg
J0t0o23.jpg

Two firemen launch Mr G&W into the sky, causing 6% damage and minor horizontal knockback (that can only just kill at 300%) to anyone he hits on the way up.

On the way down, he gets out a parachute that slows his descent, and it can be cancelled into an aerial by pressing an attack input or just a fall by pressing down.

It takes him quite high - just above G&W's height above the top platform on Battlefield - but there's not much else to say about this move.

Up Special 2 (Heavy Fire)

9PX3FSh.jpg
tifgSZ4.jpg

This time, he doesn't get sent quite as high (he's only just able to get on the top platform on Battlefield), but he does more damage and has a sweetspot at the start of the jump, causing 16% damage if you hit them at the start and 10% anywhere else. The sweetspot does higher, more diagonal knockback than the default version and is able to kill Samus at 145%

Everything else about the move seems the same.

Up Special 3 (High Fire)

CI4vF7F.jpg
6fq1Rl6.jpg

This variation makes his recovery act very similarly to how it did in Melee, except for the fact that it doesn't put you in special fall. Mr Game and Watch doesn't use his parachute anymore, so you can perform aerials quicker than you could in the default.

It doesn't have a hitbox on the way up anymore, though it does have a small one during the startup that does 12% and decent vertical knockback.

At mid percentages, the vertical knockback and quicker aerials mean that you can combo it into a Dair or Nair, etc and at higher percentages, it can KO quite easily (able to kill Samus at 120%).

Down Special 1 (Oil Panic)

Pressing the input will have G&W pull out a bucket, holding the input will keep it there.

Whilst held you can also direct him left or right to face any projectiles coming from different angles.

Anyway the crux of this move is that it lets you absorb energy-based projectiles (Fireball, Thunder Jolt, PK Thunder, etc), store them, and then throw them back at people with increased damage and knockback.

This move was actually annoyingly hard to figure out just how exactly it works (due to a mistake on my part), but when you use it on a projectile, if it does 6% or less damage, it fills up one level, 12% or less (but more than 6%) fills up 2 levels and anything more than that fills up three.

Each bucket level is only able to store a max of 6% from the projectile it absorbs, so absorbing a fully charged Charge Beam that does 25% will absorb three levels of 6%, but 2 uncharged Charge Beams and then a fully charged on will only absorb 3, 3, 6. making it a total of 12%

So the former will return the full possible amount (45%) and the latter will do only 30%.

The main reason this took so long is because I started testing it with Fireballs, thinking they could only do 4% damage when actually they sometimes do 5%, which screwed everything up and ended up giving me a headache.

Down Special 2 (Shallow Bucket)

VMiRxzX.jpg
xhYVKGi.jpg

For this variation, any projectile will automatically fill the bucket, but it will always do 10% minimum and caps at 24% (seems to have a 1.3x multiplier I'd guess then, if each level only represents 6%). The range of the oil projectile is also much shorter.

The range of the bucket also seems larger, able to suck in projectiles quite far in front and behind you.

Down Special 3 (Long Range Bucket)

CZEhnEO.jpg
eyUIPFZ.jpg

This seems to have the exact same damage multiplier and damage caps, except the range is larger and the move in general is slower, more lag on all aspects of it and the oil travels slower, I think I must be missing something with this one but I've got too much of a headache to bother with it now, I was not expecting to get so caught up in Oil Panic.

Final Thoughts

Damned Oil Panic!

Anyway, Judge customs are really cool and super satisfying, though I prefer the Multi Judge to the Hyperbolic one, the number of hits it does on a 9 (9, to be exact) feels really good, though I can imagine people will get some fun out of the all or nothing style 1or9 judge.

The rest is pretty standard, larger and more damage but slower projectiles and faster but less damaging ones, high recoveries, low recoveries that do high damage.

I do like the custom that makes his recovery like the one in Melee though, just because the vertical knockback makes it easy to link it into other aerials.

Miutsu

Previous characters (click to view, Link done by georly)

Disclaimer: I can't read Japanese, so I may have missed certain effects that are hard to test (such as shieldbreaker properties) and I don't know the names of the custom moves so I've completely made them up.

Beep Boop, it's Mr. Game & Watch! Who is probably the only thing cooler than ROB and probably my favourite newcomer in Melee because I actually knew what a Game & Watch and owned several, unlike the majority of people that were my age at the time.

And he has a new walk animation where his head faces the opposite direction, as if looking at some invisible falling wrench, it's so "game and watch"-y it's just brilliant.

Thanks a lot JoeInky! I think I might be satisfied with how his customs turned out.

JoeInky

90% of ZSS players in For Glory in a nutshell: Run away and spam stun laser then use dash attack and repeat.

Yes, keep doing it and getting grabbed for a 25% combo and edge guard set up, I'm sure it will work one of these days!

Also, juggling someone with 3 PK Thunders then hitting yourself with the 4th whilst they try to air dodge the wrong thing and get hit by the PKT2 is brilliant.

It's even better if they change to Palutena to spam rolls and reflectors and still end up losing.

EulaCapra

Side Special 2 (Hyperbolic Judge)

MKqWkye.jpg
cTdeelR.jpg

This judge only deals in extremes, everything is either a 1 or a 9, the 1 does less damage to you (5% instead of 12%) and more damage to the opponent (5% instead of 2) as well as having hitstun and knockback, but the 9 has been nerfed, with only 23% damage and knockback that, whilst still significant, won't KO Samus until around 30%.

The chance of getting a 1 or a 9 definitely isn't 50-50 from what I can tell, the 1 has more weight, but you can still get many multiple of both numbers, I got four 9's in a row once.
This seems very evil. The higher chance of inflicting 5% damage to yourself still seems like more than enough of a good trade off for a chance to kill at 30% and lower percentages since everyone is living longer anyway.

emb

Lag in local play? The hell? Also why do they have a third player that keeps killing himself?
Third player is used to record when the other two want to use their own systems.

But it is pretty lame to see lag in local play. Even with 4 players, I'd hope it would never get that bad.

It was the game for sure. The Smash loading logo showed up at the bottom right.
No, it's not the game. The reason the Smash loading logo was showing was because the game was syncing back up because of packet loss due to wireless interference.

The 3DS's local wireless is pretty shitty so all sorts of random stuff can cause packet loss.

ffdgh

Ohok then....

peach sucks

Ness has been bottom or near bottom tier in 3 games. Took 4 games for pk thunder as a recovery to not suck. Ness and Lucas could get infinite'd by Marth in brawl. :D

Oh, I need to step up my game then.

Peach's so bad she used to get you banned.

There, problem solved. :3
jk

It took 3 games for yoshi to have a somewhat reliable recovery and until 4 him to actually be better than average. :D

Hatchtag

Banned
Weird, I just noticed that the screenshots in the explanations of Photos, Replays, and Tips on the 3DS version are all screenshots from the Wii U version.

Ohok then....

Ness has been bottom or near bottom tier in 3 games. Took 4 games for pk thunder as a recovery to not suck. Ness and Lucas could get infinite'd by Marth in brawl. :D

It took 3 games for yoshi to have a somewhat reliable recovery and until 4 him to actually be better than average. :D
Peach is bad.

I main Wario. Go for it. B]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom