• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Share your best midnight launch story

I wasn't planning on getting a Wii at launch, but my brother called at about 9:30 a.m. the morning of the midnight launch and told me there were two spots left in line if I wanted one. I only lived about a minute from the Wal-Mart he was at, so in a moment of spontaneity, I decided to go.

At about 11:00 a.m., a girl I had gone on one date with about a week prior called to see if I wanted to get some lunch. Somewhat embarrassed, I told her I couldn't because I was waiting at Wal-Mart for the Wii to launch at midnight. To this point, I had only dated girls who either didn't like video games or only had a passing interest. I thought for sure she would think I was an idiot.

About 30 minutes later, she shows up carrying a basket with sandwiches and chips. So we sat on the floor of a Wal-Mart having a picnic. She told me she'd be back around 6. Shows up with Chinese food. Another picnic on the Wal-Mart floor.

Finally make it to midnight, get the Wii, two controllers, two nunchucks, Excite Truck and Twilight Princess and go home to play with some friends. She came over too. Played Wii Sports until 2 or so before we call it a night.

That girl is now my wife. :)

Head.spawn

I bought it as a gift, but GTA V launch was nuts, there were people camped outside @ 9am as I went to work. I drove by gamestop when I was on break and saw the line was already completely ridiculous, so I went inside to chat with the store clerks and they already had stories of some kid pissing his pants, a fight etcetc. The place was trashed, it looked like wood stock. So after work, instead of waiting in line for the game, I went home watched some tv and ate dinner... set my alarm for midnight and dozed off. Drove over to Gamestop around 12:25 (it is about a minute from my old place) and completely missed the 12+ hours of waiting in line and bought the game with zero hassle. It seriously took five minutes, from leaving my house to getting the game and getting back home.

The end.

Moral of the story, midnight launch lines are pointless. These days my digital copy is ready at midnight.

Carnby

I went to the Halo ODST midnight release to pick up my copy of Katamari Forever. The cashier thought it was funny.

That's it.

Halo 4. Guy in a full blown Master Chief costume knocks over an entire rack of merchandise at Gamestop cuz he couldn't see well or some shit. Everyone in line heckled the shit out of him.

Dark Souls 2. Some dudes in line all brought Sunny D to drink (inside joke for Souls fans). One guy gets over zealous and pours it over his head like the Solaire meme... we still had like an hour to wait. So he proceeded to be a wet, sticky retard until Gamestop opened.

Damn. That's messed up. You have my sympathies.

It's been a long while since I've been to a midnight launch, but the most notable one wasn't for a game, but a DVD release. Way back in... 2003, I think it was, I went with my family to attend the midnight launch event for the first LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring extended edition set. We had heard from a friend that it was starting early and showed up around 8 p.m., only to get into a screening of the EE for those who bothered to show up early. We got to sit in an air-conditioned tent with drinks and snacks and watch the whole thing, while the line outside kept getting larger and larger and people looked on in envy.

Other than that, the couple launches I've attended have been very sedate.

I wasn't planning on getting a Wii at launch, but my brother called at about 9:30 a.m. the morning of the midnight launch and told me there were two spots left in line if I wanted one. I only lived about a minute from the Wal-Mart he was at, so in a moment of spontaneity, I decided to go.

At about 11:00 a.m., a girl I had gone on one date with about a week prior called to see if I wanted to get some lunch. Somewhat embarrassed, I told her I couldn't because I was waiting at Wal-Mart for the Wii to launch at midnight. To this point, I had only dated girls who either didn't like video games or only had a passing interest. I thought for sure she would think I was an idiot.

About 30 minutes later, she shows up carrying a basket with sandwiches and chips. So we sat on the floor of a Wal-Mart having a picnic. She told me she'd be back around 6. Shows up with Chinese food. Another picnic on the Wal-Mart floor.

Finally make it to midnight, get the Wii, two controllers, two nunchucks, Excite Truck and Twilight Princess and go home to play with some friends. She came over too. Played Wii Sports until 2 or so before we call it a night.

That girl is now my wife. :)

My girlfriend at the time came with me to hang out all day for the Wii launch as well. I also got Excite Truck, Twilight Princess, and went home to play Wii Sports with her and some friends until 2-3 in the morning.

That girlfriend is also now my wife. Coincidence?

We're both married to each other, yet have somehow both mistaken the other person for a girl and both think we're husbands in an unintentional gay marriage.

RGamer2009

Neo Member
I went to a Smash tournament for Brawl on the midnight release.

Before starting the tournament, we had a moment of silence for Melee.

For a good 5 seconds, everyone there was deafly quiet. It was awesome.

My girlfriend at the time came with me to hang out all day for the Wii launch as well. I also got Excite Truck, Twilight Princess, and went home to play Wii Sports with her and some friends until 2-3 in the morning.

That girlfriend is also now my wife. Coincidence?

We're both married to each other, yet have somehow both mistaken the other person for a girl and both think we're husbands in an unintentional gay marriage.

image.php

I'd be fine with it.

Amory

TL;DR Really large 'gamer girl' chases me and tries to stab me with a pen out of anger after trying to get a really hefty guy to force me out of line while waiting to buy Starcraft 22.

wtf? she went that crazy over moving up 2 SPOTS in line?

andymcc

Banned
i was one of three guys getting Super Mario 3D World and A Link Between Worlds in the Xbox One line last year.

some redneck (who was spitting chew into a mountain dew bottle) said, "i didn't know people still played those kid games" lmao

Halo: Reach, dog peed on my leg outside of the Best Buy. My older brother selfishly took all the complimentary 48 hour trial codes laid out on the table, maybe about 45 in total. That was my last midnight launch.

GulAtiCa

Only midnight launches I went to are for Halo 3, Smash Brawl (both cases Go Hastings was packed at my college). Zelda Link Between Worlds hardware launch (actually Xbox One launch, but was able to get that since they were still open!), Watch Dogs (quite a lot of people).

Did Wii launch, but that was in the morning at a Target. Boy was it cold! I got there at maybe 5 am and had 30 people in front of me, but they had enough for everyone who should up up until about opening. Remember playing my DS at the time with Resident Evil. That was a fun launch, even if it was freezing. Meet an old work friend there by accident.

uncleslappy

nethack is my favorite dark souls clone
Waiting in line for the Wii was my first launch experience. My friend camped with us all night and when the store finally opened at 9AM, the crowd rushed to the electronics section while my friend took a B line to the candy section, bought a Snickers and left.

While waiting in line for Halo Reach, my Gamestop does the whole give you a number based on your position in line, then when it came time everyone would line up according to number.

I was number 10 and there were more than 9 people in front of me and everyone started questioning why, then we noticed a group of old super old women standing at the front of the line, and their number was like, 180, so everyone started yelling "Back of the line!" And I yelled "Get outta the line you old bag!" as a Seinfeld reference, but they apparently heard me and focused in on me, giving me the angriest glare I've ever seen as the employees guided them to their position in line.

eznark

Banned
I went to pick up the Vita at midnight. I was the only one in the store. The transaction took about 2 minutes total.

It's the only good midnight launch experience I have ever had.

Sinfamy

I've only ever been to one once.

It was for Dark Souls, at a GameStop.

The line was pretty big, however I noticed that most people were not there for DS, but instead were there to pick up RAGE. A game which 3 months later I bought new for $5.

I was surprises to see how few people knew about DS, and the ones who heard about it were talking about how they heard it will be the hardest game ever.

Midnight launch of smash bros brawl at a sams club to finally buy a wii and smash

It was cold and I didn't plan properly so I was cold as shit for like 2 hours, but this was when the Wii was still a massive fad so it was mostly parents or nursing home employees buying them in line so it was interesting to talk to those kinds of folks and get their perspective on video games

My wife and I went to halo's 2 midnight launch. The first two kids in line came out and raised their game high up in the air like it was Simba.
My wife was like wtf?

My favorite midnight launch game was MGS 4 hands down.

Best - going to the Red Dead Redemption launch and being told by a guy that he wasn't interested in Red Dead until watching all of the trailers, which I had coincidentally been the lead capture guy on - I sort of found myself visually & managerially speaking during that game. Super proud of my team.

Worst - Halo 2 selling until 3AM, then having to open the next day alone.

I have two.

I stood in line for the Halo 3 release, and these two douchebags that were the first to get the game started doing doughnuts and speeding around the parking lot. One of the passengers mooned us while we were waiting, and then rammed into the back of a cop car.

I waited in line overnight for a PS2 at the Best Buy I was working at. Our store only had 80 units, and there were about 60 of us that were in line during the night. About an hour before the store opened, we noticed a bunch of people running to get in line. They started handing out tickets for systems. There was this big guy minding his own business who got the last ticket. The rather tiny woman behind him first offered him $1,000 for his ticket, and he said no because his daughter begged him for one for Christmas. Next thing I know, the lady jumps on his back hitting and clawing the guy. Police came shortly after. He got raked across the face pretty badly, so Best Buy ended up buying the system for him.

uncleslappy

nethack is my favorite dark souls clone
Smash Bros Brawl had a midnight launch at my local gamestop accompanied with a tournament. I was about 25 at the time and everyone else there was 8-12. I came in 2nd place in the tournament which awarded me the privelege of skipping the line and buying the game 2nd - after the winner.

The winner was about 18 or 19, and as he was accepting his award a mom next to me said, "can you believe this guy? Coming in and beating all these little kids. Sick" I said, "I know, it's embarrassing!"

Then the clerk announced my name and I said, "excuse me" and went and bought my game right in her face.

Auctopus

Jesus, have people been to any redeeming midnight launches? I can imagine the mainstream ones are terrible. (GTA V, COD etc.)

They've never appealed to me, I don't think my city would have any camaraderie about lining up for a game. I think I'd rather just sleep and let Amazon do the work.

DryvBy

Wii launch. I lived in Texas and decided to camp outside of the local Circuit City. My wife asked me if I wanted a jacket, and I said I'd be okay in my short sleeve shirt. More people started showing up and as the morning came, the temp dropped. By 3am, I was so cold I decided to gather the Circuit City ads and cover my body and sleep through the cold. I looked like a homeless person.

By the time I got my Wii home, I was too tired to play it. I haven't camped out overnight since. Thanks, Amazon Prime!

Jesus, have people been to any redeeming midnight launches? I can imagine the mainstream ones are terrible. (GTA V, COD etc.)

Most of mine have been fine. RE5 in particular. They decorated the mall to be all Resident Evil-y, they had the Radio Shack set up a bunch of TVs for people to play and they had the CG movie playing the whole time. It was a solid fun event.

I went to a CoD one and they had a live DJ playing dubstep while the bros played the game in a tournament, it was pretty fun.

They've never appealed to me, I don't think my city would have any camaraderie about lining up for a game. I think I'd rather just sleep and let Amazon do the work.

GTA V and Pokemon X/Y were my last midnight launches, the ritual has since been replaced with Amazon. Luckily my route on the UPS delivery is around Noon every single time, so I don't have to wait too long into the release day to get my packages.

i was one of three guys getting Super Mario 3D World and A Link Between Worlds in the Xbox One line last year.

some redneck (who was spitting chew into a mountain dew bottle) said, "i didn't know people still played those kid games" lmao

They made the Zelda x Mario people wait til after the Xbox one people got their console

Like 2 lines , I went to GameStop after picking up my Xbox one from wal mart cause they didn't have dead rising or the controller x battery pack
Was funny to see the moms and dads yell at us since we got the day 1 versions instead of regular green(you just had to pre order a week before to get it) so again we were split in two lines

Wii line was pretty fun , my brother and I both got to GameStop around 2 am and there were a bunch of people waiting, we were #50 and #51 out of 80 consoles , we had a huge paper list on a stand
Good people

I worked as a manager of a GameStop during the 360 release. I was generally really friendly with customers who came in often. Leading up to the release of the 360, I talked a lot about it and the games with this customer, and I regularly hooked him up with free swag.

So come night of 360 launch, as we're all inside prepping to re-open the store, he shows up with tons of bags of food. It's an entire supply of burgers and fries for everyone who is currently working.

It was just a pretty awesome moment to have a customer who is that cool.

Hold on to your butts for this one.

The only midnight launch of a game I've ever gone to was Halo Reach. It was Bungie's last Halo game and I had never gone to one, so I decided that the time had come.

Picked up my game and then promptly went home and went to sleep. I never did care about getting the game at midnight and playing it right away, I just went for the experience. It was fun to see the energy of the folks there.

And that is my very best midnight launch story. I went to bed and didn't touch the game until the evening of the next day, the end.

Hold on to your butts for this one.

The only midnight launch of a game I've ever gone to was Halo Reach. It was Bungie's last Halo game and I had never gone to one, so I decided that the time had come.

Picked up my game and then promptly went home and went to sleep. I never did care about getting the game at midnight and playing it right away, I just went for the experience. It was fun to see the energy of the folks there.

And that is my very best midnight launch story. I went to bed and didn't touch the game until the evening of the next day, the end.

This is what my midnight launches turned into. Buying the game so I can go to bed, wake up at 6am and work, and then play it after. Now I do Amazon.

Modern Warfare 3. The GameStop I went to got a ton of Chipotle delivered to the store, and the guys just put the boxes on a plastic table for anyone to take. People took like 6 burritos each and put them in their car. I took 2 and ate them while I played multiplayer after getting home.

Rnr1224

I've only been to two.

One was for MW2 when i was in high school and it was not fun at all.

The next one was when I bought Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate at the midnight launch of Gears of War: Judgement. Loved the looks I was getting from some of the people.

probably when i got my Wii at launch in 06. it was at the now-defunct game store Rhino Video Games (got some PSX games on the cheap from them a few months later during their closing sale!). it was cold outside, walked to the wal mart across the parking lot to pick up a folding chair. the manager and workers were cool so they actually let us in around like 10-11 so we could all keep warm. on top of all that, they actually bought us all pizza and drinks just for waiting. it was great. and i was like number three in line, so i defintely got in.

another would be when i got my 360 in '05. i missed the launch, but they got stock about a month later, i believe, in december. i was there noon on saturday, didn't leave until opening at 10-11am the next day. it was a fun night, met some really nice people, got some free food too. someone prepared some hot soup and i got to have a cup. another person went on a chik fil a run and i got myself a free chicken sandwich. to pass the time, someone brought like a tent and a generator and we were playing soul calibur 2 all night. it was fun.

BibiMaghoo

Midnight at Game, both the local chavs and the alternatives all queued up together, as if they were all friends, when normally they would be fighting or insulting each other on sight. It's common that the former will burst in, push people out the way and jump to the front of the line before someone calls them out. Yet this night, they chatted, waited their turn, and were remarkably amicable. I have never seen it's like before or since.

Ironically, this was the launch of San Andreas. And it was wonderful to behold.

TheHall

Probably the PS4 midnight launch at my local EBGames. There was a huge lineup, and like an idiot I'd fallen asleep until about 11:30pm that night, so when I got there fifteen minutes later I was about 100 people back.

Then one of the employees came out, and started asking for people to line up in a second line if they'd already pre-ordered their consoles. Having pre-ordered pretty much as soon as I could, I was now 30th in line instead of 100th, which I was pretty happy about.

Then the store manager started calling for people with the Edge Platinum memberships. Myself and maybe six other people raised our hands, and we were told we'd be getting served first.

I was there for maybe fifteen minutes, and while chatting with the cashier I was told they'd gotten just eighty units, so there would be some people outside who weren't getting a PS4 tonight.

I took it home and didn't even open the box for four days.

That Platinum Members elitism needs to stop, it makes me NOT want to be a customer.

Compsiox

Banned
I also got the Manager at my local Gamestop a raise. He gave me a lot of swag at the Xbox One midnight release.

That was truly a great night.

Cess007

I don't think it counts at midnight launch, but the only time i've lost sleep over a console launch is when i tagged along a friend who went to buy the Pikachu 3DS (I went for a Blue one and the deal of 3x2 in games). He called the day before and was told that some stores around our region would only get like 5 consoles of that edition. So, you had to be there early or you won't get anything.

So, we went to El Centro's Target and waited around 2-3hrs outside. When the store opened, this woman came out and a before she could say anything a dude asked very rude "Are you doing a line for the Pikachu 3DS? 'Cause i was at Walmart and they tell me it was sold out after waiting in-line like a retard for hours" to what she replied "You can wait in-line in the way you like the most, but yeah, we're doing lines. This is what i came to tell you".

At the end, 5 people were in for the Pikachu edition (counting my friend, who got the last one); and as we were going out, this little girl were coming and i hear her saying that she was promising her Mom that she will take care of her Pikachu 3DS and she'll ever lend her to her sisters. I didn't have the heart to tell the little girl that she was out of luck :(

Dawg

I hardly buy games at a physical store these days since ordering online is so much easier (and for me, cheaper) anyway. So yeah, having to wait in a room filled with "normal gamers" (people who don't read GAF 24/7) for an hour or two is kinda strange for me.

Well, it wasn't that bad. Some people were saying the Xbox One would end up better since they're still improving the hardware for the 2014 release in Europe. Others were saying the PS4 is better because it has a 500GB DDR5 HDD. Good entertainment while waiting.

When it was finally my turn to buy the PS4, I was excited as hell. I was #21. They called out the number and I went forward, ready to buy my 8GB DDR5 machine. Showed the guy my customer card and he fetched my Killzone bundle. All was well... but then he told me it was €439. I only had ~€417 with me. I had already paid a €50 advance weeks ago and told him so. But then he told me he didn't find any proof of that on his pc and he was basically like:

show-me-the-receipts1n5kwg.gif

My heart skipped a beat. I never have those things on me, I usually lose them at home somewhere. I brought up my wallet to search even while I knew it wasn't in there. I just didn't know what to do at the moment. Spent minutes looking for it, all the while people were waiting behind me to get their ps4. I was anxious as hell. My PS4 was right in front of me and I was about to lose this thing after two hours of listening to random dudes discussing the game industry.

At that point, the clerk probably knew I didn't have it as well. It just took too long. I was kinda stretching time too, hoping the guy would say "well you know what, nevermind... I believe you" but that didn't happen. But then... out of nowhere... I found an 'old' receipt hidden in a backpocket. I was almost too afraid to turn it around and check which one it was. I couldn't believe my eyes.

charlie-gold-ticket-ol7qlz.gif

I handed him the ticket. I felt hesitation in his eyes. He couldn't believe what just happened either. But it did. And he honored it. The PS4 was only €390 now and I felt the sweet feeling of victory. Grabbed my box and went outside. Little did I know was this only the beginning. You see, I did not come by car and I did not live nearby... well not that close to go by foot anyway.

I went with my bike and the ride was about fifteen minutes. Now, I don't live in a city with crazy criminals or something but you never know what you'll encounter at night... especially with a PS4. Carried the box on my left arm and went as fast as I could. At one point, I had to stop at a red light nearby a pub. I swear, a gang of drunk hobo's or sumthin' saw my PS4 and they were coming at me. Couldn't believe my eyes and I immediately decided I had to break the law just this once. Drove through red traffic light.

dog20runs20away20fromcsj1s.gif

To be honest, from that point on I didn't have any 'problems' any more. Was a smooth ride home. My arm was shaking from the PS4 box weight though and I might have made some crazy gaf posts in the PS4 launch thread.

My best midnight launch, I was in my bed sleeping because I realize I could wait a few hours and get it in the mail.

edit: Apparently, I stayed up for some odd reason to log into guild wars 2.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I've only lined up at midnight for two game, both WoW expansions: Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King.

Neither were eventful. I stood in line by myself, had some banter with the people in line with me. Picked up my game and went home to play.

2007 Halo 3. My Launch 360 red ringed the day before Halo 3 released at midnight. I was broke in high school. My buddy had his 360 completely break on him a week before. We both had preorders at Gamestop for the legendary edition because I didn't realize how pointless the extra stuff was. I went to CVS where my friend worked. We both lamented that we would not have enough money till the next weeks paycheck to afford all the stuff we needed to play halo. We didn't have the kind of parents that bought us stuff. So we put all of our money together to see if we could afford to pay off one pre order and buy a new 360 to share because this was halo for goodness sake. We weren't gonna miss out playing the first week. We came up pretty short. One of his really creepy co workers over heard us and said he would sell us his 360 for what we had minus what we needed for the preorder. It was 10pm my buddy got off work at 10:30 I think and we had to get this guys Xbox and then get in line for the game before midnight. He met with this guy in the parking lot of the Gamestop around 11:45 and we had to buy this 360 hoping it would work or not play Halo 3 during its launch week. We bought it stood in line got the game and then went back to my house where we had the moment of truth. To our delight the 360 booted up as it should and we lay the disk in the tray and again we had succeeded. We played Halo 3 from midnight till 3pm the next day when we passed out. we cooped legendary beat it and then traded the controller for some XBL play. It was a deliciously beautiful night. We shared the Xbox for about a week and then we both were able to get what we needed to play. It was an amazing time.

Mike Golf

Destiny launch at Gamestop.

Me and my wife arrived at 11:10 PM and there were already about 100 people waiting. One of the store clerks comes out and asks if everyone's reciepts were stamped, my wife pointed out mine wasn't, so I popped into the store and got it stamped as number 110. Clerk also handed out a raffle ticket to win a Destiny guide and a code for the next two expansions when they release. Stepped outside and proceeded to the very end of the line with my wife. Waited for about 30 minutes and the same clerk came out to call out the raffle number. Lo and behold it was ours, got our ticket last, but managed to luck out. I proceeded to the front poker facing the whole way while some congratulate me and others give audible signs of despair. He adjusts my reciept to get the main game price discount for technically "purchasing" the guide, and to print out the reciept with the expansion codes on it.

All ready to take my winnings and go wait back at the end of the line, he stops me and tells me to wait by the counter and I'll be the first to get my copy ahead of the 109 others. Texted my wife to come up and join me, ten minutes later got my guide, expansion codes and copy of Destiny and headed out to enjoy it through 65 hours so far two weeks in. Best launch ever at this point for me.

FaintDeftone

I don't have one too special, but it was cool to me.

I wanted a Gamecube at launch and my parents agreed to buy me one for Christmas, but I had to wait until Christmas to actually have it (I was 16 at the time). Knowing that we would have to stand in line for one, since I didn't preorder and figured it would be impossible to get one prior to Christmas, I had to somehow talk my mother into standing in line till midnight at a store that would be easy to snag one. My mother REFUSES to do stuff like this, but for some reason she agreed to stand in line and buy me a Gamecube.

We went to a Meijer store since most people wouldn't think to go there. We stood in line for a couple of hours and got turned away since they didn't have enough. Luckily, the employee told us they would be getting more on their truck at 6:30am and handed out tickets for those units in particular. I thought to myself "there is no way I can get my mom to come back in four hours to get this".

To my surprise, again, my mom agreed and we went home, slept for a few hours and drove back (mind you, this store was about 30min away) to Meijer and snagged a Gamecube. I'm still surprised to this day that my mother, who refuses to stand in line for 5 minutes at the grocery store let alone sacrifice sleep for a game console, actually did this for me.

Top Bottom