• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't say I really agree. While all my time with the game has been only with the demo and most of it has been confined to CPU's, I feel like I'm only really challenging myself in various circumstances the higher up I procedurally bump up the difficulty, try new characters and try to come up with new strategies. What's most exciting for me when I've played is the amount of focus I put into off-stage options. More than any other Smash game I try to follow up on opponents off-stage and it adds a large amount of exciting dynamics. The more I do it, the more interesting they become. Landing those meteor smashes are just so satisfying.
Have to agree with this. I imagine off stage combat in this game will be prominent, and I can't wait to see it evolve.

Plus, it really benefits Mario! He really shines off stage.

Urgh, that last point.

It really encapsulated why competitive Smashing turned into a fucking joke when Brawl came out and why I personally became completely disillusioned with the scene for almost half a decade. No matter how "better" Melee was or is, this still weighs more than anything mentioned.

I've hoped for a lot of things with Smash 4, but the one thing I've hoped for the most is that the scene won't implode on itself again.

It was my first exposure to competitive Smash as well, so I know where you're coming from. Thankfully I've learned not to associate the entire scene with that.

Lunar15

I can't say I really agree. While all my time with the game has been only with the demo and most of it has been confined to CPU's, I feel like I'm only really challenging myself in various circumstances the higher up I procedurally bump up the difficulty, try new characters and try to come up with new strategies. What's most exciting for me when I've played is the amount of focus I put into off-stage options. More than any other Smash game I try to follow up on opponents off-stage and it adds a large amount of exciting dynamics. The more I do it, the more interesting they become. Landing those meteor smashes are just so satisfying.

I'll agree that meteor smashes are a big piece of this game's puzzle. It seems like most people got some buffs in this regard, and there's less risk of doing off-stage stuff now that edgehogging is gone.

Smash 4 is a different beast. It's gonna take a different mindset to figure out what works and what doesn't, I suppose.

Amazing post

I couldn't agree more and I am someone who prefers brawl, but stating anything as objective is just foolish. It all boils down to preference.

I do like the more honest take on the history, I always cringe when poeple say brawl never had a competitive scene.

While its easy to say lest all just play the game we want, I do recognize the problem of "which smash gets shown at EVO" and I think it will continue to be the main obstacle for civility.

Honestly though, we will continue to see lots of melee tournaments. Yeah I can understand how it can be hard to again see Sakurai not wanting to embrace the direction that melee took; however optimism is going to be the best, even if you aren't excited for smash 4, project M shows no signs of being dropped or discarded anytime soon and holds a lot of potential for that style of gameplay.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I only like her with custom moves on. Jump Glide makes for some awesome Marvel-esque air dashing mixups.

I've heard that a lot too. MId/low tier w/o customs, High with. Hence why I hope most tournaments open up and allow custom moves.

emb

I'll agree that meteor smashes are a big piece of this game's puzzle. It seems like most people got some buffs in this regard, and there's less risk of doing off-stage stuff now that edgehogging is gone.

Smash 4 is a different beast. It's gonna take a different mindset to figure out what works and what doesn't, I suppose.
You're safer to go out there in general, but it also feels like there's often less of a reward for the same reason.

Meteor smashes do feel amazing when they land though. But all the ones I've seen or tried feel really slow, so I'd have to do them close to the stage or just suicide with it.

Did some minor trophy reading, super sad that Punch-Out!! only is getting a few non-playable-character-based trophies (Glass Joe, Mr. Sandman, and Bald Bull). I was hoping for everyone from the Wii Punch-Out!!. :<

Did some minor trophy reading, super sad that Punch-Out!! only is getting a few non-playable-character-based trophies (Glass Joe, Mr. Sandman, and Bald Bull). I was hoping for everyone from the Wii Punch-Out!!. :<

Seeing as how Punch-Out has virtually no handheld history, I'm guessing they're saving them for the Wii U version along with Xenoblade.

Also curious: How many Wario trophies are in there? Hope it's not Brawl numbers LOL

SMgamer83

This article is uninformed. The rage mechanic is NOT a rubber band mechanic, since it relies on percentage only. For example, if I'm at 90, and my opponent is at 150, yes he will hit harder. But then I kill him. Now he's at 0 and I'm at 90. I hit harder. Even though I'm winning.

Now you could argue that the issue is that if I'm at 90 and he's at 0, then I can't combo as easily (since I knock back further). If so, then the converse is true. If he's at 70 on Stock 2, and I just got to my stock 2, he can't combo me as well.

TLDR: Since the advantage goes both ways, the rage mechanic is NOT a rubber banding mechanic.

emb

This article is uninformed. The rage mechanic is NOT a rubber band mechanic, since it relies on percentage only. For example, if I'm at 90, and my opponent is at 150, yes he will hit harder. But then I kill him. Now he's at 0 and I'm at 90. I hit harder. Even though I'm winning.

Now you could argue that the issue is that if I'm at 90 and he's at 0, then I can't combo as easily (since I knock back further). If so, then the converse is true. If he's at 70 on Stock 2, and I just got to my stock 2, he can't combo me as well.

TLDR: Since the advantage goes both ways, the rage mechanic is NOT a rubber banding mechanic.
Yeah, it's a really situational thing. I get the feeling it was added to make knockback more dynamic in general, without it just being random. It also probably helps stocks move towards ending that much sooner, I guess. Adds a little more weight to the war of attrition.

Really it looks like it has a pretty small effect, and I think most are overstating how important it is one way or the other.

Tutorial Pig is a trophy

Mona isn't
Captain Syrup isn't
Jimmy T. isn't

You mean...this?

TutorialPig.png

In response to the article posted above, at least Smash 4 is a much better refined game with some serious fixes to be able to say that its biggest problem is not being Melee; Brawl had legitimate and very serious game breaking issues that put a stop sign on most things you wanted to do.

That, and if Smash 4's online is actually solid once the game fully comes out in the states, you can expect a much more dedicated online community taking the game seriously now that there's a mode that fosters online warriors.

Yeah, I'm tired of people being upset about rage because it's triggered for being more damaged. Smash is not the same as other fighting games, the implications of being rewarded for taking more damage are vastly different and like you said affects both players positively in different ways.

Yes

This is why Melee will never be beaten for trophy selection.

LOL I actually love that guy, so that makes me happy.

I recall Melee trophies having some imbalance in series as well, such as nothing Fire Emblem-related outside of Marth and Roy.That it had most of the trophies solely made for the game is still really cool, though (except for the Pokémon Stadium model rips, barf).

LOL I actually love that guy, so that makes me happy.

I recall Melee trophies having some imbalance in series as well, such as nothing Fire Emblem-related outside of Marth and Roy.That it had most of the trophies solely made for the game is still really cool, though (except for the Pokémon Stadium model rips, barf).

There was some imbalance, but it can't be said that Melee's trophies are effortless - a lot of them are brand new models, while Brawl and Sm4sh feel like they just took models from games in large part.

georly

I'm hopeful the wii u will be loaded w/ trophies, simply because sakurai will have the disk space to do so, for once.

Also, DK custom moves are done, just waiting for the next page. Apologies in advance if i'm not explicit enough w/ details. I'm not a DK main :p

Ryce

There was some imbalance, but it can't be said that Melee's trophies are effortless - a lot of them are brand new models, while Brawl and Sm4sh feel like they just took models from games in large part.
Assist Trophies are like the "new model" trophies from Melee, and they have added in-game functionality.

emb

True, the ripped trophies does make it feel effortless.

But in exchange for some of that, we have over twice the amount Melee had. And a big handful are still brand new models.

I'd still take quality over quantity, but I think it's worth noting that we have a ton of quantity these days, and chunks of it happen to be quality.

True, the ripped trophies does make it feel effortless.

But in exchange for some of that, we have over twice the amount Melee had. And a big handful are still brand new models.

I'd still take quality over quantity, but I think it's worth noting that we have a ton of quantity these days, and chunks of it happen to be quality.

It didn't actually do much for Brawl :v IIRC, a massive chunk of trophy content was not only of content already in the game, but also almost 1/6 of trophies in Brawl were of stuff originating in Brawl

emb

It didn't actually do much for Brawl :v IIRC, a massive chunk of trophy content was not only of content already in the game, but also almost 1/6 of trophies in Brawl were of stuff originating in Brawl
Fair enough. I didn't pay much attention in Brawl, I think primarily because I found 'em tedious to unlock, and there were so many. I'll probably be the same way with this.

Fair enough. I didn't pay much attention in Brawl, I think primarily because I found 'em tedious to unlock, and there were so many. I'll probably be the same way with this.

The mini-game where you get like 8 billion trophies in exchange for the right amount of coins seems to unlock them pretty quickly - you can also get some other nice upgrades, like coins, equipment, and customs.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I'm hopeful the wii u will be loaded w/ trophies, simply because sakurai will have the disk space to do so, for once.

Also, DK custom moves are done, just waiting for the next page. Apologies in advance if i'm not explicit enough w/ details. I'm not a DK main :p

Pitchforks at the ready.

DaBoss

I honestly prefer they don't put much resources into creating new models that they won't use in the game other than for show. Seems like an extreme waste of resources.

2/3 of Melee's trophies were from in-game models, and nearly everything else was made for Melee as trophies. It had to be done since there wasn't any good/decent models for them to rip from. Though Olimar, Pikmin, Luigi from Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing characters, and pretty much all of the Pokemon trophies that weren't Pokeball Pokemon or playable or as a Pokefloat were rips.

Pappasman

Also, that comment about melee being "objectively better" for competitiveness is bullshit. (This is coming from someone whose favorite multiplayer game ever is melee!) The word "competitive" is so often misused as meaning "fun to spectate" when in reality it means "can be played as a test of skill."

Yup. The word competitive is misused incredibly often, especially in the smash community. But for a lot of people, depth makes something fun. In Melee there is a lot more going on at a faster pace than any of the other smash games, people like that. The problem is that people are comparing a fully developed game to one that has less than a month of playtime and is not even out worldwide.

That said, when it comes to smash 4, the most important thing for me is that the game is enjoyable to play and watch. This is still TBD, but if future tournaments are anything like the Japanese one last night, than it's all good here!

Agreed. I still have some problems with the some aspects but overall its a massive step up from brawl. All the streamed events have been really entertaining so far.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Heath was so realistic that he continued to doubt Duck Hunt even after all evidence pointed to the leaked images being real (I.E. Shulk's official confirmation, etc)

I was in denial because getting Dark Pit, Bowser Jr and Duck Hunt were so much for me.

Lucina and Dark Pit had to have been decided on relatively early on, though, since they were involved in trailers. I think Ice Climbers would have been far too deep into development to justifiably be in over DP, Lucina, and Dr. Mario; further, I don't think that the removal of Ice Climbers would have spurred Sakurai to add the clones.

I don't see why you would think that because they could have shown them in the trailers as alt costumes. That would explain a lot about Dark Pit's appearance in the trailer without any splash screen that all newcomers got. He was planned to be alt costume which isn't big deal.

July is pretty much right time for them to finishing up with the production and move on to debugging phase. Basically, I presumed that they probably decided with clones like after E3. That would explain why Lucina got ?! in her splash screen.

I have a feeling that Dr. Mario, Dark Pit and Lucina were added to the roster during late June to Early Aug.

georly

Previous characters (click to view, Link done by georly)

Falco: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=131325875&postcount=17323

Stealing your format again

NOTE: NOW UPDATED WITH ACTUAL NAMES AND DESCRIPTIONS

This time it's the King of Swing, DONKEY KONG

LvYTN1U.jpg

Even Mario is impressed!

Note: I am not a DK main, so I won't be going into great detail about percents, etc. Just a general overview/feel of the new moves.

UBpSmRQ.png

Neutral Special 1 (Giant Punch)
"A mighty punch. Press the button once to wind up, then again to unleash it."

IwZIrB9.jpg

Everyone knows this one, it's the famous donkey punch. Charge it up for a few seconds, store the charge (he flashes and steam comes off his head) and then unleash it for massive damage and KO potential. About as potent as a falcon punch, but the startup can be done separate from the execution of the move itself. Much easier to land.

UBpSmRQ.png

Neutral Special 2 (Lightning Punch)
"Charges up much faster, but isn't quite as mighty. Deals electrical damage."

yiHkxaJ.jpg
3b9pAhh.jpg

This one charges up so quickly, it generates lightning! No, seriously, it charges up in about 1 to 1.5 seconds, it's fast. That said, it does less damage and knockback as a result.

UBpSmRQ.png

Neutral Special 3 (Storm Punch)
"A punch that's not very strong, but it pushes opponents away with a gust of wind."

DqiXuin.jpg

The famous storm punch from the picture of the day. Takes about the same time to charge up as the normal Giant Punch, but once it executes, it has a pushback effect similar to fludd or the gust bellows. If you make contact with DK's fist, it does moderate damage and knockback (not as much as the normal giant punch, but more than the lightning fast one). I don't think the Storm effect is worth it, honestly. Maybe you can make it work?

MahsdNu.png

Side Special 1 (Headbutt)
"Headbutt opponents in front of you, and bury them if they're on the ground."

dMKuslA.jpg
etZnLtl.jpg
YfScmO3.jpg

The side-b we all know and love. One of the few specials that can actually bury your opponent in the ground! The higher your percent, the longer you stay buried. Great for using a fully-charged smash attack! I believe this can also be used for a meteor effect if used in the air.

MahsdNu.png

Side Special 2 (Jumping Headbutt)
"Jump up before headbutting. Buries opponents for a shorter time."

8kgJ4q1.jpg

Uhhh... for this one, he jumps up into the air, and then headbutts straight to the ground. Not really THAT useful on the ground, but if you use it in the air, it causes you to come down fast, like toon link's down air. Once it hits your opponent, it buries them in the ground. It's hard to show in pictures, but trust me, he's coming down fast!

MahsdNu.png

Side Special 3 (Stubborn Headbutt)
"A slow but powerful headbutt. Being attacked won't interrupt this move."

TljIFtV.jpg
iz8E8NJ.jpg
5U69jHt.jpg

This one is the one we saw during the smash direct. Basically it takes WAY longer, but it gives him super armor. It's possible it does more damage/buries them longer, but I'm not sure!

GT1dw4r.png

Up Special 1 (Spinning Kong)
"A whirlwind of punches. You can move left and right while spinning."

217t5EH.jpg
lWEJNzR.jpg

Not sure how different this is from before (I never really played much of DK), but on the ground, it's a multi-hit spin-attack ending in a hit with decent knockback (similar to link's air spin attack, but on the ground). In the air, it gives you more horizontal recovery than it does vertically (which is basically the opposite of Link's up special). It can hit in the air, too, but it doesn't chain hits as well as Link's.

GT1dw4r.png

Up Special 2 (Chopper Kong)
"Spins high into the air like a helicopter. Doesn't deal any damage to opponents."

MB0wMu1.jpg

Similar to link's special 3, all this does is recover. It does no damage and has no ground variation (it forces you into the air upon use). While it does no damage, it's faster to complete and has more vertical recovery. Max height is shown in the picture.

GT1dw4r.png

Up Special 3 (Kong Cyclone)
"Suck opponents in as you spin, and then launch them with a single punch."

2Qx9cMD.jpg
L6AT5xy.jpg

This one has a much much smaller hitbox (similar to jigglypuff's rest?), BUT, it pulls opponents TOWARD you. It sucks them in so that you can hit them. The effect even works in the air. I found this one a bit underwhelming, actually. The vacuum effect was minimal, at best. Probably better in FFA.

jEEzZEX.png

Down Special 1 (Hand Slap)
"Slap the ground to cause shock waves that send opponents into the air."

doe9VHj.jpg
yqI5WWG.jpg
UaAdvj2.jpg

THE trademark donkey kong move. Great for trophy rush. Has a pretty wide hitbox (both in front and behind him), as denoted by the ring in the picture above. Does decent damage, and just enough knockback so you'll likely only hit your opponent once. Not really good for KO, but it has its uses.

OH, and you can finally use it in the air! It hits twice, first does mild damage, but the second hit has a mild meteor effect. Can be useful. Better than not working in the air at all!

jEEzZEX.png

Down Special 2 (Focused Slap)
"Smaller shock waves, but opponents will be stunned and sent flying."

XJuk6SJ.jpg
9Exjg7x.jpg

Like the hand slap, but the hitbox is DRASTICALLY reduced to only be exactly where the hands are hitting the ground. If it hits, however, it does a decent amount of damage and a lot of knockback. Can be used as a KO move at about 100-120%

jEEzZEX.png

Down Special 3 (Hot Slap)
"Creates flame pillars that can hit airborne fighters."

du2UX0j.jpg
igPhFFx.jpg

Similar to the lightning slap, in that it loses the giant hitbox, but it's hits them twice for a total of about 16% (4, then 12%) if you hit it. If used in the air, it loses the meteor effect on the second hit, but still does decent damage.

Final Thoughts

I'm not a DK main, but i'm sure someone out there can make better use of his specials. I honestly like most of his classic moves better. I can see the use of the lightning punch if you don't want to use it as a KO move. It's a great damage dealer if you can land it frequently. The lightning slap is a bit hard to hit, but it might have some utility if you can pull it off. His jumping headbutt gives him a 'spike' move that he doesn't normally have, so it gives him some new utility if you can figure out a good way to use it. The standard up special still seems to still be the best one he's got.

My loadout is probably 1213. I like his original moves, but I find the headbutt to be pretty hard to pull off outside of a meteor, so giving it a new 'spiking' mechanic changes up DK's mobility quite a bit, so I like that one. I also like the extra damage the fire slap provides.

Sponge

Banned
Neutral Special 1 (Giant Punch)

IwZIrB9.jpg

Everyone knows this one, it's the famous donkey punch. Charge it up for a few seconds, store the charge (he flashes and steam comes off his head) and then unleash it for massive damage and KO potential. About as potent as a falcon punch, but the startup can be done separate from the execution of the move itself. Much easier to land.

neil-patrick-harris-spit-take.gif

Neiteio

It's a pretty game! Also, Green DK is best DK.

This was my favorite shot though:

etZnLtl.jpg
LOL @ dirt pile in the middle of a boardwalk. Awesome shot, though. :)

Can't we all just agree that both Donkey Kong AND Wario are grossly underrepresented?
As a DKC fan, I'm just thankful Tiki Buzz and Kritter appear in Smash Run, the Squitter trophy is back from Brawl, and K. Rool at least got a trophy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom