• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
neil-patrick-harris-spit-take.gif
I see and hear Giant Punch referred to as "Donkey Punch" more often than any other name.

The first two bosses of Returns plus an enemy plus the main villain plus most of the Animal Buddies plus a Kritter and K Rool not enough for you

Yeah, no. Wario has been treated so badly that Sakurai won't even acknowledge the existence of Wario Land, a popular series of games that has five entries. It's like... how? How can you blatantly ignore such an important part of history?

I wasn't really being genuine with that post to begin with, but I still think Donkey Kong's franchise is hardly repped better than Wario's. They both feel lackluster.

OMG you can pocket Villager's dash attack
....AND THE TREEE

I'm pretty sure you can pocket the bowling ball, too. The rule seems to be: anything that is not constantly connected to the body of a fighter can be pocketed. The bowling ball, the tree, and the sapling pot all leave Villager's hands at some point - thus they can be pocketed.

I wasn't really being genuine with that post to begin with, but I still think Donkey Kong's franchise is hardly repped better than Wario's. They both feel lackluster.

DK's been a part of Smash in every title though, with at least three stages in every entry up until this game. Tons of trophies, items, and music.

smash bros 3ds doesn't have have kremling with an afro in it

Hmm, is Mushroomy Kingdom 1-2 in the game? Just realized I haven't seen any footage of it. And if it's in does it have an omega version?

oh shit i haven't even gotten this at all, lemme try messing around and see if it's even in the game

edit: yeah pretty sure it's straight up not in the game

DK's been a part of Smash in every title though, with at least three stages in every entry up until this game. Tons of trophies, items, and music.

Yeah, but you can't really compare that to Wario who only just joined Smash Bros. in Brawl. It's sensible for DK to have more representation, but I feel that there should be a LOT more than he got in Smash 4 with him having had two new entries to his franchise since Brawl. It's weird to me. You'd think there'd be a new DKC stage on the 3DS version based on perhaps some of the exclusive stages from DKCR:3D, but nope.

Again, not claiming that Wario's level of representation is fine, I just think that an admittedly larger series like DKC should have gotten a bit more. On the topic of Wario, I just wish the Wario Land series could be revived more so than for it to be repped in Smash.

Though it's weird that there doesn't seem to be any Shake It callbacks in 4 despite that game being released during the same year as Brawl. Or is there actually some content from that game that I haven't heard of?

FSLink

Banned
Yeah Mushroomy Kingdom 1-2 isn't in the game. I've only gotten Mushroomy Kingdom 1-1 and I've played the game for 80+ hours. Tried different button combos but nothing, also the Underground theme plays on 1-1, whereas in Brawl you only got Underground theme on 1-2.

Pyrokai

Yeah Mushroomy Kingdom 1-2 isn't in the game. I've only gotten Mushroomy Kingdom 1-1 and I've played the game for 80+ hours. Tried different button combos but nothing, also the Underground theme plays on 1-1, whereas in Brawl you only got Underground theme on 1-2.

That is.....baffling. I thought it was a PART of the stage :

That music was really good too :(

After playing around with the demo some more, does anybody else have trouble using tilt attacks with the 3DS stick? I can reliably do everything else just fine, but I cannot for the life of me consistently do tilt attacks when I want to. Otherwise the 3DS feels great.

random25

After playing around with the demo some more, does anybody else have trouble using tilt attacks with the 3DS stick? I can reliably do everything else just fine, but I cannot for the life of me consistently do tilt attacks when I want to. Otherwise the 3DS feels great.

My only problem is the up tilt. Either I jump which ends up in an up air attack, or I end up doing a up smash attack. Others like ftilt and dtilt are pretty easy to execute on the 3DS.

Blizzard

Banned
What is Rage and what is VI and do I need to know about it if I don't play competitively?
VI = what people call Vector Influence. If you're holding the circle pad at some point (I think it may be right as, or right before you're launched, but I'm no expert), you affect how far you're launched.

If you get hit up and want to fly higher, you would be holding up. If you get hit up and want to NOT fly as high, you would be holding down.

I don't know about Rage but I get the impression that fighters with high damage percents do a bit more damage, or maybe a bit more knockback, than they would otherwise.

My only problem is the up tilt. Either I jump which ends up in an up air attack, or I end up doing a up smash attack. Others like ftilt and dtilt are pretty easy to execute on the 3DS.

Yeah the up tilt is the primary one I've been using and having trouble with, since I've pretty much been exclusively practicing with Mega Man and he doesn't even have side tilts and his down tilt isn't terribly great. Ah well. Good to know it's not just me.

georly

Yeah the up tilt is the primary one I've been using and having trouble with, since I've pretty much been exclusively practicing with Mega Man and he doesn't even have side tilts and his down tilt isn't terribly great. Ah well. Good to know it's not just me.

When you get the full game, just disable tilt jump and you'll be fine! :) Mega upper is a beast.

Timeaisis

Megamans utilt is amazingly satisfying to pull off. Keep at it. :)

Edit: Wait tilt up jump is on in the demo? I don't think I've ever done it accidentally. Guess that's just my Smash muscle memory at work.

random25

I'm exclusively practicing Megaman as well. Up tilt is a really good move for KO attack. Just needs practicing with the circle pad as sometimes my thumb slips on the pad lol

Pyrokai

VI = what people call Vector Influence. If you're holding the circle pad at some point (I think it may be right as, or right before you're launched, but I'm no expert), you affect how far you're launched.

If you get hit up and want to fly higher, you would be holding up. If you get hit up and want to NOT fly as high, you would be holding down.

I don't know about Rage but I get the impression that fighters with high damage percents do a bit more damage, or maybe a bit more knockback, than they would otherwise.

Cool, thanks man for answering :)

zroid

Banned
I'm pretty sure you can pocket the bowling ball, too. The rule seems to be: anything that is not constantly connected to the body of a fighter can be pocketed. The bowling ball, the tree, and the sapling pot all leave Villager's hands at some point - thus they can be pocketed.

I got my own bowling ball reflected back at me with Mario's cape one time... that was rough

georly

Previous characters (click to view, Link/DK done by georly)

Falco: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=131325875&postcount=17323

Stealing your format again

Note: NOW UPDATED WITH ACTUAL NAMES AND DESCRIPTIONS

This time it's the Gerudo King, Ganondorf

zaXUYgU.jpg

Who would dare to take up arms against the king of light and shadow...?

UBpSmRQ.png

Neutral Special 1 (Warlock Punch)
"Channel dark energy into a devastating punch. Difficult to interrupt."

X7RqlRN.jpg
xQURgm8.jpg

One of the strongest specials in the game, if not THE strongest. Packs a wallop! Now with super armor!

UBpSmRQ.png

Neutral Special 2 (Warlock Blade)
"Draw a sword and thrust it forward. The blade's tip deals the most damage."

4uFAhii.jpg
VVlNl11.jpg
vtrl1JJ.jpg

Like the warlock punch, but it sacrifices damage and knockback for range. It's very similar to falcon punch in power. Also, he uses the sword (albeit awkwardly).

UBpSmRQ.png

Neutral Special 3 (Warlock Thrust)
"A faster, explosive Warlock Punch. Make sure your fist hits home for max damage."

PvI9C9R.jpg
XNswL10.jpg

Much much faster chargeup, with an AOE blast in front of him that does less damage and less knockback. Great for racking up damage, but not great for KOing your enemies.

MahsdNu.png

Side Special 1 (Flame Choke)
"Rush forward to grab an enemy. Grabbed enemies will be thrown straight down."

L3mGBuy.jpg
lL34l1w.jpg

The famous chokeslam from brawl. Dashes to the side, grabs your opponent by the neck/face, and them slams them to the ground without ground bounce. Your opponents can tech-roll out of it, but if they don't know better, you can follow up with a down tilt for decent knockback. If you can predict which way they'll roll, you can usually follow up with something else. If you use it in the air, it spikes them all the way to the ground. If you use it off stage, you both KO (them first!)

MahsdNu.png

Side Special 2 (Flame Wave)
"Dash forward to grab an enemy and blast them into the air into other enemies."

kmhIjLt.jpg
5T7RbLC.jpg
2LjgSH6.jpg
aEFpYfS.jpg

Same as the normal one, but instead of slamming them to the ground, it know causes upward knockback. Can be used as a KO move at roughly 120%+ on some characters. If you use it in the air, it also spikes to the ground, but with MUCH more KO power, since they hit the floor, too.

MahsdNu.png

Side Special 3 (Flame Chain)
"Dash forward and strike enemies repeatedly rather than grab them."

CceAu22.jpg
PaZIBTW.jpg

Instead of grabbing the opponent, it now dashes THROUGH the opponent causing multiple hits and next to no knockback. It's really good at piling on damage, so if you don't mean to use the chokeslam as a mechanism to combo into a KO move, then this is a great substitute for % building.

GT1dw4r.png

Up Special 1 (Dark Dive)
"Jump up and grab an enemy, and then shock and launch them."

QavijTV.jpg

Same as brawl, similar to captain falcon's. This special move has you leap into the air, grabbing any opponent you come into contact with. Once you grab them, you deal extra damage and knock them away a little bit. I'm not particularly a fan of this move, but it's a decent way of racking up percent on your opponent.

GT1dw4r.png

Up Special 2 (Dark Fists)
"Punch opponents into the air, and then hit them in midair to send them higher."

CQ4RKnw.jpg
bgCnFpk.jpg
NWwUidw.jpg

This one loses its ability to grab your opponent, but it knocks the opponent upward at the start into (hopefully) a second 'shoryuken' punch at the apex of the move. It has decent knockback, but does less damage than the default. Yes, it's actually connecting in that second picture. That's how large the hitbox is for it.

GT1dw4r.png

Up Special 3 (Dark Vault)
"Jump extra high, but you can only grab at the beginning or end of the attack."

CvZdI4y.jpg
53gJG0t.jpg

This one is weird, it's like the first one, but it stops 1/4 of the way up to do a second jump w/ the same effects. This means that you can't grab your opponent at any point other than at the beginning and the end, but you seem to go higher up. I believe it deals slightly less damage as well, in exchange for the greater height. I need to play around with it more to figure out what other differences there are. Hard to show in pictures, but imagine him doing his up special twice in a row, with the first one only going about 6 feet high. The pictures show the apex of each one, if used from the ground.

jEEzZEX.png

Down Special 1 (Wizard's Foot)
"A magic kick that flies straight when on the ground and diagonally down when airborne."

XZXOluR.jpg
SyqEa9y.jpg

Ganondorf's version of the falcon kick. Slower startup, but more damage and knockback. Can be used as a KO move at higher percentages. If used on the ground it goes about halfway across the stage, horizontally. If used in the air, it comes down diagonally. It does an extra hit once ganondorf lands, in case you miss the kick part in the air. Causes about 12% damage and can KO at above 150% usually. Ganondorf's position does not indicate the trajectory. The visual effects (at an angle) indicate the trajectory.

jEEzZEX.png

Down Special 2 (Wizard's Dropkick)
"Jump low into the air before doing the flying kick."

4ajQz5W.jpg
0Y4sXlf.jpg
35aK8z1.jpg

Blue-er flames! If used on the ground, it forces Ganondorf into the air and he comes down at a diagonal. If used in the air, it moves at a wider angle than the default and covers more horizontal distance. Once he lands (even after the kick animation/hitbox is over) the force causes damage and knockback. Does less damage and less knockback, but the incoming angle tends to make it harder to avoid. It also seems to execute a bit faster. Using it in the air seems to have more knockback than on the ground. Again, the visual effects note the trajectory, if it's too hard to see in pictures.

jEEzZEX.png

Down Special 3 (Wizard's Assault)
"A faster flying kick that goes through foes. In the air, the kick goes straight down."

Zl5hckH.jpg
HmyLH7d.jpg

This one has a longer startup but it covers more distance. The best part about this one, however, is that if you use it in the air, it spikes straight down, rather than at an angle. The longer startup means it does more knockback than the others. It also covers more distance. Once again, the visual effects indicate trajectory. Ganondorf may be in the same position as he is in the normal one, but if you look at the VFX, you can see it's clearly going more perpendicular to the stage than the normal one.

Final Thoughts

Well, I'm going to use the sword out of principle. It still has the super armor, and it seems easier to hit with. I like all of his side specials, honestly, they each have their place. I think i'll also pick his 3rd up special, as it seems to have better recovery, which is all that matters to me from his up special. His down specials all seem really good, but I like his 3rd one since it allows me to kick straight down. It also covers more ground when used on the ground.

My loadout is probably 2233. Mainly because the normal flame choke is too hard to follow online, so using the one w/ KO potential might be really good.

georly

The correct custom Ganondorf is Neutral 2, Side 3, Up 2, Down 3. Been whooping ass since launch day with that custom moveset.

I like most of his. Why up 2, if you don't mind me asking? Seemed harder to hit. Side 3 is fantastic for racking up damage.

Hatchtag

Banned
I like most of his. Why up 2, if you don't mind me asking? Seemed harder to hit. Side 3 is fantastic for racking up damage.

Side 3 also seems to eat through shields and smash attacks. Up 2's great because I don't think Ganondorf's Up B has enough knockback or does enough damage in this game to be a good option like it kinda was in Melee/PM, so I think Up 3 is good. It's very situational, but it's really useful if it connects. I just don't think there's any reason to have Up 1 if you have Side 3, because in just about every situation you can use Up 1, you can also use Side 3, and Side 3 will be better.
That being said, I haven't really used Up 3 much, so I donno if there's a good way to use that that i'm unaware of.

Side note, considering you seem to keep getting customs for the same characters I have all the customs for (Ganon, DK), I'm gonna guess your next ones will be Duck Hunt and Wii Fit Trainer :p.

Voliko

Thanks, Ganon's specials seem decent. Definitely looking forward to playing as him. The sword move sounds too slow though, I'd rather have the fast neutral B on paper.

Can Villager pocket G&W's bucket? We need to figure out the combo that will deal the most damage in one hit. Maybe something like PK Flash > Bucket > Pocket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom