• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 38, 2014 (Sep 15 - Sep 21)

hiska-kun

Media Create

03./00. [WIU] Bayonetta 2 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2014.09.20} (¥8.316) - 38.828 / NEW <67,29%> [Units shipped => 57.702 copies]

Pokemon ORAS pre-orders are 239k during their first weekend (20th and 21st).
Pre-orders for Pokemon XY were 260k at the same time (9 weeks before the release).

Busaiku

I wonder if the lower absolute sales of Pokemon X/Y will mean Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire will have a better ratio than previous remakes.
More likely, it's just those bonuses.

That's a higher sell-through for Bayonetta than I thought. Wasn't it supposed to be ~55%? Or is that Famitsu versus Media Creates shenanigans at work?

Media Create

03./00. [WIU] Bayonetta 2 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2014.09.20} (¥8.316) - 38.828 / NEW <67,29%> [Units shipped => 57.702 copies]

Pre-orders for Pokemon XY were 260k at the same time (9 weeks before the release).

So the 60k shipment was true.

NO WAY was it going to outdo the 360 original's FW... when the shipment was lower than that!

67% is not too shabby of a sell-though I think.

random25

Media Create

It looks like it's not as bad as people makes it to be (RE: Bayo 2). Low sales numbers but decent sell-through rate.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Media Create

Insanity.

Pokemon still pulling those numbers to date is nothing short of amazing. The IP is in good hands indeed.

That's a higher sell-through for Bayonetta than I thought. Wasn't it supposed to be ~55%? Or is that Famitsu versus Media Creates shenanigans at work?
55% is Dengeki. Famitsu has 40-60%.

I'm not sure how people are taking that as good sell-through for a game like Bayonetta...

If you're using superior tracker or Dengeki, then I don't know if I see it.

Bayonetta 1 PS3 sold about 67% of its lifetime sales in the first week, 360, about 60%.
It will likely follow a typical core blockbuster sales curve (even though it's sales are anything but.)

I guess it will depend on what kind of drop it sees next week.

vinnygambini

Praise jesus!

Amazon.co.jp received a new shipment for Bayonetta 2! That means they placed a new order!!!!!!

Success!

Busaiku

Lol the irony in this statement. If I hadn't kept up with gaming in Japan I woulda thought a natural disaster had nearly destroyed Japan.
Uhh, there's no irony in that statement.
100k for a subscription based MMO is really good.
Not to mention that it's not even a native game, but streaming.
And this is after it sold over 700k on Wii/Wii U (excluding the expansion).

More traditional Dragon Quest titles are still doing well on 3DS.
Dragon Quest Monsters 2 sold over 720k several months ago.

hiska-kun

Bayonetta 1 PS3 sold about 67% of its lifetime sales in the first week, 360, about 60%.
It will likely follow a typical core blockbuster sales curve (even though it's sales are anything but.)

Superior tracker is not sharing the exact figure, it's ambiguous.
Dengeki rounds to 5 or 0. So even the true sellthrough is 57% for them, they round to 55%.

Going by the tracker that shares the exact sellthrough, it will sell its first shipment.

Dengeki rounds to 5 or 0. So even the true sellthrough is 57% for them, they round to 55%.

Going by the tracker that shares the exactly sellthrough it will sell it's first shipment.

well both Famitsu and Dengeki seem to be pointing towards the 55% range, so...... (also that would be expected, Media Create has the highest numbers for it)

Mory Dunz

Uhh, there's no irony in that statement.
100k for a subscription based MMO is really good.
Not to mention that it's not even a native game, but streaming.
And this is after it sold over 700k on Wii/Wii U (excluding the expansion).

More traditional Dragon Quest titles are still doing well on 3DS.
Dragon Quest Monsters 2 sold over 720k several months ago.

...I think he meant if an outsider just saw

"Dragon Quest 10 sells 100K in Japan, good" by itself without context

then it would sound really weird since it's a million seller. Not sure that's irony though.

Going by the tracker that shares the exact sellthrough, it will sell its first shipment.
Going by any of the trackers it would still take an extended period of time to sell through that first (and probably only) shipment, unless it holds surprisingly well.

vinnygambini

Going by any of the trackers it would still take an extended period of time to sell through that first (and probably only) shipment, unless it holds surprisingly well.

LIEESSS AMAZON GOT A NEW SHIPMENT ORDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Make it rain Bayonetta

hiska-kun

First Day Sellthrough:

[PS3] [PSV] The Legend Of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki II (Nihon Falcom) - 70% Good Start
[PSV] DanganRonpa: Another Episode (Spike Chunsoft) - 70% Best Shipment (I don't know if he is talking about this week's releases or this series)
[PSV] Dungeon Travelers 2: Ouritsu Tokoshan to Mamono no Fuuin (Aqua Plus) - 60-70% selling as was assumed
[3DS] Haikyu!! Tsunage! Itadaki no Keshiki!! (Bandai Namco Games) - 50% Good for a 3DS game but not as good for the characters it has
[PS3] Kamisama to Unmei Kakusei no Cross Thesis (Nippon Ichi Software) - 20-30% the other similar games, seem to have eaten its sales

Rabbids Land
[3DS] Tenkai Knights: Brave Battle (Bandai Namco Games) - It's Youkai's Fault, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyKLQXOj0ts

hiska-kun

The second shipment probably already happened. Last week reports from retailers were talking about small shipment. Tsutaya also said some stock problems. (Also the Amazon.jp sold out).

GamesMaya:
&#22312;&#24235;&#12364;&#23569;&#12394;&#12417;&#12394;&#12398;&#12391;&#12362;&#26089;&#12417;&#12395;&#12393;&#12358;&#12382;&#65281;
http://gamesmaya.blog98.fc2.com/blog-entry-2610.html?sp

Tsutaya:
&#26032;&#20316;&#12398;&#12300;&#12505;&#12520;&#12493;&#12483;&#12479;2&#12301;&#65288;WiiU&#12289;&#20219;&#22825;&#22530;&#65289;&#12399;5&#20301;&#12392;&#20581;&#38360;&#12290;&#19968;&#26178;&#21697;&#34180;&#12395;&#12394;&#12427;&#12411;&#12393;&#12398;&#20154;&#27671;&#12391;&#12375;&#12383;&#12290;
http://mantan-web.jp/2014/09/23/20140923dog00m200022000c.html?mode=pc

So, maybe the superior tracker sample is not that superior this week. :)

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
The second shipment probably already happened. Last week reports from retailers were talking about small shipment. Tsutaya also said some stock problems. (Also the Amazon.jp sold out).

GamesMaya:

http://gamesmaya.blog98.fc2.com/blog-entry-2610.html?sp

Tsutaya:

http://mantan-web.jp/2014/09/23/20140923dog00m200022000c.html?mode=pc

So, maybe the superior tracker sample is not that superior this week. :)

Any chance you could summarize those links Hiska? I think GamesMaya said something about Fatal Frame in relation to Bayo 2 (Google Translate was terrible in this case). So does that mean that retailers had super pessimistic estimates for Bayo 2 and were surprised and had to order a second batch at least? That's cool I guess. If Tsutaya was sold out before, at least it would explain the lower ranking this past week despite it selling quite a bit better overall. Maybe Amazon JP had more stock and thus more folks bought it from there or something? It's interesting at least.

I should probably clarify the "irrelevant" with the qualifier, "at this stage."
The system has been supported. It's gotten those marquis titles, 3D Mario, 2D Mario, Donkey Kong, Mario Kart. It will have Smash soon. And Zelda is really the last staple.

It's why I don't really see how more prolonged droughts, with a failed product crawling along the market floor actually mitigates any stigma. How any loyal fanbase is better served in that scenario.

Also, although I think that if it were feasible to launch a new product ASAP, I recognise it likely isn't. However, they need to seriously reconfigure the product that they are offering, and towards that end they should really be thinking about removing the GamePad and thus being able to reduce the price significantly so they can try to appeal to more price sensitive families.

I disagree on any "loyal fans" driving the PS4's current sales success. It's a combination of modern supply chains facilitating higher sales, coupled with making a product that's been positioned incredibly well towards the target market segment.
At this point, nothing will revive the Wii U short of a huge Wii Sports type of hit, killing it prematurely is pointless because the loyal fans they have now only care whether Nintendo will keep supporting it with some titles til the end of its life, releasing a successor now just for the sake of it won't help the software situation one bit. People are only buying Wii Us for their games, the hardware is underwhelming by itself. For example the iphone sells to more than just gamers but if you're not interested in Nintendo games, then the Wii U is largely irrelevant, so if Nintendo stopped support for the Wii U prematurely, there's absolutely no point even buying it and the people who bought it already will feel the burn even more. It's why generations exist, not only because of the platform holders, but the market expects a level of support, regardless of how the console is performing in the market.

I'm not sure removing the gamepad is a good idea, or if its even a wise move, considering thats its gimmick and most of their titles are built around it. Removing the gamepad largely affects their financials but I don't think that bit of money is worth the hassle, they just have to ride it out with software support, the hardware itself isn't gonna improve much.

I'll just agree to disagree regarding PS4's sales so far.

What's the best course of action?

I before thought it was ludicrous for YW2 to come out so soon, only a year after the original, then the game goes and I think outsells the original's LTD on the first day/week.

Would YW3 next year be too soon or another legendary hit?
YW2 only feels early because YW didn't blow up instantly, it took a long time to have a real impact on the market. IIRC It was performing pretty similar to titles like Fantasy Life in its early life, it wasn't until the anime came out that it had a second life. Quick sequels is pretty much the norm for L5, they're pretty good at milking an IP for all its worth.

I really think it could happen. I see a Nintendo mobile device pretty close to their handheld bussiness. I mean, the could unify console and handheld and that handheld could have mobile devices capabilities. If they are smart, could release in its launch, Youkai Watch 4, Bayonetta 2, and FExSMT.
It feels like just a stop-gap solution atm, so we'll see how serious they are, but if we look at the DS, they continued to support it like a true successor.

Show me where this duckroll fellow was port-begging and I'll kick his ass! I hate port-beggers!
a duckroll sounds pretty delish, i'd definitely smash that

hongcha

First Day Sellthrough:

[PS3] [PSV] The Legend Of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki II (Nihon Falcom) - 70% Good Start
[PSV] DanganRonpa: Another Episode (Spike Chunsoft) - 70% Best Shipment (I don't know if he is talking about this week's releases or this series)
[PSV] Dungeon Travelers 2: Ouritsu Tokoshan to Mamono no Fuuin (Aqua Plus) - 60-70% selling as was assumed

Promising results all around! I bought two out of those three. :)

[3DS] Haikyu!! Tsunage! Itadaki no Keshiki!! (Bandai Namco Games) - 50% Good for a 3DS game but not as good for the characters it has

I thought this one would do better first week. Maybe 50K sold out of a 100K shipment?

Incidentally, do you know how well Kanken for 3DS sold? It was released on the 25th as well. I bought it on the eshop (4104 yen) yesterday. It's a really nice Kanji training/practice software, it even has online leaderboards!

So its unlikely to get another shipment?

LTD of 60-70k.....just about matching the first week of sales on 360.

hiska-kun

Any chance you could summarize those links Hiska? I think GamesMaya said something about Fatal Frame in relation to Bayo 2 (Google Translate was terrible in this case). So does that mean that retailers had super pessimistic estimates for Bayo 2 and were surprised and had to order a second batch at least? That's cool I guess. If Tsutaya was sold out before, at least it would explain the lower ranking this past week despite it selling quite a bit better overall. Maybe Amazon JP had more stock and thus more folks bought it from there or something? It's interesting at least.

GamesMaya Said:
- Today is the release day for Bayonetta 2. Most of the buyers are people who had pre-order. The game is not moving hardware.
- But after Bayonetta 2, next week Fatal Frame V follows. I'm starting to hear voices of guests saying "I should buy a Wii U?" "maybe it's time to buy it".
- The stock is small, so hurry!

Tsutaya said the game was popular enough to face stock problems.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I love how I've read no hiska-kun posts ;p

Lol yeh... Mantis, read Hiska's posts please =). He's said there's already been a second shipment, as it was sold out on Amazon and then got restocked, etc. Probably because there was really small shipment to begin with.

GamesMaya Said:
- Today is the release day for Bayonetta 2. Most of the buyers are people who had pre-order. The game is not moving hardware.
- But after Bayonetta 2, next week Fatal Frame V follows. I'm starting to hear voices of guests saying "I should buy a Wii U?" "maybe it's time to buy it".
- The stock is small, so hurry!

Tsutaya said the game was popular enough to face stock problems.

Wait, Fatal Frame is the game they're mentioning could have stock problems? Or Bayo? Interesting about Fatal though. Never thought it could the larger title of the two...

hiska-kun

Wait, Fatal Frame is the game they're mentioning could have stock problems? Or Bayo? Interesting about Fatal though. Never thought it could the larger title of the two...

No, i only translated the sales part. She says before: Bayonetta 1 is included in the disk of B2. The stock is small, hurry!

So its unlikely to get another shipment?

LTD of 60-70k.....just about matching the first week of sales on 360.
Some retailers are apparently reordering some amount of units.

Which in turn is being taken that it won't hit bargain bins to sell out the initial shipment across the retail market, when even under the optimistic MC scenario there's still 20,000 units in the retail channel...

I'm not sure if the corollary that's being drawn is that "supply issues" are part of the reason for bomba.

Regardless, based on past entries, I'd say something around 60K LTD is a realistic expectation.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Some retailers are apparently reordering some amount of units.

Which in turn is being taken that it won't hit bargain bins to sell out the initial shipment across the retail market, when even under the optimistic MC scenario there's still 20,000 units in the retail channel...

I'm not sure if the corollary that's being drawn is that "supply issues" are part of the reason for bomba.

Regardless, based on past entries, I'd say something around 60K LTD is a realistic expectation.

I thknk that the main lesson here is that with the Wii U Nintendo was even able to create itself a "sell-in" issue with retailers (we know this also for the West, even if things are improving recently), something unusual for them.
And one of the reasons why they are at least trying to push the eshop.

I thknk that the main lesson here is that with the Wii U Nintendo was even able to create itself a "sell-in" issue with retailers (we know this also for the West, even if things are improving recently), something unusual for them.
And one of the reasons why they are at least trying to push the eshop.

What does this exactly mean?

Bruno MB

PREDICTION LEAGUE OCTOBER 2014

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Sep 29 to Oct 26):

[3DS] New 3DS Hardware (16 days) - 175.000
[3DS] New 3DS LL Hardware (16 days) - 230.000
[3DS] Monster Hunter 4G (16 days) - 2.080.000
[PS3] Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 (25 days) - 155.000
[PS4+PS3] Evil Within (4 days) - 75.000
[3DS] Tales of the World Reve Unitia (4 days) - 68.000

[3DS] New 3DS Hardware (16 days) - 100k
[3DS] New 3DS LL Hardware (16 days) - 130k
[3DS] Monster Hunter 4G (16 days) - 1700k
[PS3] Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 (25 days) - 140k
[PS4+PS3] Evil Within (4 days) - 60k
[3DS] Tales of the World Reve Unitia (4 days) - 101k

Ain't done one for ages so might as well

PREDICTION LEAGUE OCTOBER 2014

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Sep 29 to Oct 26):

[3DS] New 3DS Hardware (16 days) - 180,000
[3DS] New 3DS LL Hardware (16 days) - 220,000
[3DS] Monster Hunter 4G (16 days) - 2,350,000
[PS3] Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 (25 days) - 170,000
[PS4+PS3] Evil Within (4 days) - 75,000
[3DS] Tales of the World Reve Unitia (4 days) - 62,000

Darius

Banned
Ah ok, i see. I thought you ment "want more" regarding the Vita when you said that it wasnt just because of the PS4.

Vita will most likely be supported and produced for some more years, so it wont be abandoned anytime soon.

EDIT: I fixed a typo.

I was mostly refering to 1st party support. Also considering 3rd parties the outlook for the following year looks quite worse than what we´ve got last year at this period for 2014. Don´t you agree? While 3DSs 2015 lineup is mostly unknown as well, there is a difference in the pattern of the announcements, while it wouldn´t surprise me if there´ll be short-term announcement by Nintendo like a new Rhythm Tengeku for 2015 in an upcoming direct, on the other hand we got used to announcements well in advance when it comes to bigger or decent selling PSV software.

The problem I see is that PSV not only will have a hard time to keep up with last years 4.quarter, but also its 2H 2014 sales won´t look pretty compared to its 1H 2014 sales, despite the 2.H beeing generally a stronger period. Something which will continue into early 2015 unless they don´t surprise us with some convincing announcements. Its current sales can be accurately described as bad, especially for a handheld, the lack of compelling announcements won´t change that. So it isn´t just a matter of getting just "some" support regardless of quality or potential and be compacent with it, but about the lack of sufficient support to reach a decent level of hardware sales, I´m talking about.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
03./00. [WIU] Bayonetta 2 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2014.09.20} (¥8.316) - 38.828 / NEW <67,29%>
___

21./31. [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl <FTG> (Nintendo) {2008.01.31} (¥6.800)
22./22. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 # <ACT> (Capcom) {2013.09.14} (¥5.990)
23./11. [PS3] Persona 4: Arena Ultimax # <FTG> (Atlus) {2014.08.28} (¥7.538)
24./16. [PSP] Toukiden: The Age of Demons Extreme # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.08.28} (¥5.184)
25./27. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.800)
26./24. [PS4] The Last of Us Remastered <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.08.21} (¥6.372)
27./33. [3DS] Pokemon Art Academy <HOB> (Nintendo) {2014.06.19} (¥3.908)
28./25. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Dubbed Edition [New Price Edition] <ACT> (Square Enix) {2014.09.04} (¥3.024)
29./30. [PS4] Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition <RPG> (Square Enix) {2014.08.21} (¥8.424)
30./38. [PSV] Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment # <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.04.24} (¥6.664)
31./17. [PSV] Love Live! School Idol Paradise Vol.1: Printemps / Vol.2: BiBi / Vol.3: Lily White # <ACT> (Kadokawa Games) {2014.08.28} (¥6.998)
32./39. [3DS] Mario Party: Island Tour <ETC> (Nintendo) {2014.03.20} (¥4.800)
33./42. [3DS] Style Savvy: Trendsetters - Tokimeki Up! <ETC> (Nintendo) {2014.04.17} (¥4.936)
34./36. [WIU] Dragon Quest X: All in One Package <RPG> (Square Enix) {2014.08.07} (¥5.184)
35./26. [PS3] Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin F - Coffin of the End # <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.08.28} (¥7.690)
36./45. [3DS] Bravely Default: For the Sequel [Ultimate Hits] <RPG> (Square Enix) {2014.08.07} (¥2.700)
37./37. [PS3] Ultra Street Fighter IV # <FTG> (Capcom) {2014.08.07} (¥4.309)
38./41. [3DS] Kirby Triple Deluxe <ACT> (Nintendo) {2014.01.11} (¥4.800)
39./50. [3DS] Hoppechan: Minna de Odekake! Waku Waku Hoppe Land!! <ETC> (Nippon Columbia) {2014.07.17} (¥5.184)
40./00. [3DS] Tomodachi Life # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2013.04.18} (¥4.800)
41./28. [PSV] Bullet Girls <ACT> (D3 Publisher) {2014.08.21} (¥6.799)
42./32. [PSV] Hyperdimension Action Neptunia U # <ACT> (Compile Heart) {2014.08.28} (¥6.458)
43./47. [PS4] FIFA 14 # <SPT> (Electronic Arts) {2014.02.22} (¥7.665)
44./44. [PSV] Persona 4: Golden <RPG> (Atlus) {2012.06.14} (¥7.329)
45./00. [PS4] Battlefield 4 <ACT> (Electronic Arts) {2014.02.22} (¥7.665)
46./13. [PSV] Chain Chronicle V <RPG> (Sega) {2014.09.11} (¥4.298)
47./34. [XB1] Titanfall # <ACT> (Electronic Arts) {2014.09.04} (¥7.884)
48./00. [WIU] Super Mario 3D World <ACT> (Nintendo) {2013.11.21} (¥5.985)
49./46. [3DS] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014: Samurai Blue Challenge <SPT> (Konami) {2014.05.22} (¥5.119)
50./00. [PSV] Fate/Stay Night -Realta Nua- [PlayStation Vita the Best] <ADV> (Kadokawa Games) {2014.09.18} (¥4.104)

Top 50

3DS - 20
PS3 - 8
PSV - 8
PS4 - 6
WIU - 5
PSP - 1
WII - 1
XB1 - 1

SOFTWARE
Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |
|  ALL  |    669.000 |  1.439.000 |    794.000 | 27.511.000 | 30.875.000 |

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Predictions

[3DS] New 3DS Hardware (16 days) - 210.987
[3DS] New 3DS LL Hardware (16 days) - 234.567
[3DS] Monster Hunter 4G (16 days) - 2.345.678
[PS3] Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 (25 days) - 123.456
[PS4+PS3] Evil Within (4 days) - 56.789
[3DS] Tales of the World Reve Unitia (4 days) - 78.901

jonno394

[3DS] New 3DS Hardware (16 days) - 299,999
[3DS] New 3DS LL Hardware (16 days) - 249,999
[3DS] Monster Hunter 4G (16 days) - 2,499,999
[PS3] Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 (25 days) - 119,999
[PS4+PS3] Evil Within (4 days) - 64,999
[3DS] Tales of the World Reve Unitia (4 days) - 69,999

I'm in heavy optimist mode here with the 3DS sales, I think them face plates are gonna push the New 3DS over the New 3DS LL

Lexxism

[3DS] New 3DS Hardware (16 days) - 185.000
[3DS] New 3DS LL Hardware (16 days) - 155.000
[3DS] Monster Hunter 4G (16 days) - 2.205.000
[PS3] Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 (25 days) - 125.000
[PS4+PS3] Evil Within (4 days) - 65.000
[3DS] Tales of the World Reve Unitia (4 days) - 55.000

Top Bottom