• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT2| Nintendo All-Stars Battle Quarter Pounder

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
But does one move break a character? From what I've been reading, Ganondorf can use a little help.

EDIT: Haha, I know meta knight is the obvious counterpoint. I guess I mean, does it necessarily mean it's OPs the whole character.

Metaknight's custom side B is shield breaker which is basically same thing as Ganondorf and Fox's Drill custom moves. IIRC.

Hatchtag

Banned
But does one move break a character? From what I've been reading, Ganondorf can use a little help.

EDIT: Haha, I know meta knight is the obvious counterpoint. I guess I mean, does it necessarily mean it's OPs the whole character.

It isn't one move, it's four. But anyways, I just feel that playing with customs is an entirely different beast from playing without them, and I'd just rather have multiple rulesets than one. I am of the opinion that if we just have one ruleset that allows customs, we're not gonna have nearly as much variety in characters as we would if we had both rulesets.

Ganondorf and Fox have one I'm labelling "Drill Customs" because several characters seem to have them. Basically, they eat through shields and attacks due to being multihit, and are really, really damn good (just ask Makai). In addition, almost all of Ganondorf's customs are significantly better than his normal special moves (his neutral b has great range, he can make his Up B useful again, and he can get much better down Bs).
As for why people aren't really mentioning how broken customs can be, it's because there haven't been many events with customs allowed yet. I think we'll hear these types of compalints more once they become more common.
Well, I guess I need to see them in action, but all of his specials being better I a good thing, right? That's the main appeal of customs for me, taking lower characters and giving them more of a chance.

It isn't one move, it's four. But anyways, I just feel that playing with customs is an entirely different beast from playing without them, and I'd just rather have multiple rulesets than one. I am of the opinion that if we just have one ruleset that allows customs, we're not gonna have nearly as much variety in characters as we would if we had both rulesets.
I'm totally down for more rule sets, I think the main debate is, for bigger tournaments like EVO, we're only going to be using one rule set, so what should it be.

jorgejjvr

Can we like chill and stop exaggerating and stop pretending like we know everything and that every little thing is a big problem especially when most of us have not even touched the game...

Hatchtag

Banned
I'm totally down for more rule sets, I think the main debate is, for bigger tournaments like EVO, we're only going to be using one rule set, so what should it be.

I donno. It'd take some deciding. I'd hope one being at EVO wouldn't cause the other rule set to go nearly extinct though.
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if non-customs were 3 stock 8 minutes while customs were 4 stock 8 minutes. They can really speed up the game, though that comes at the cost of some characters not getting enough buffs to keep up.

Can we like chill and stop exaggerating and stop pretending like we know everything and that every little thing is a big problem especially when most of us have not even touched the game...

Some of us have had it for two weeks now, and I don't see a problem in discussing stuff.

Makai

Imagine Meta Knight Tornado, except it goes sideways. ;P

Approaching him felt impossible.

I'm not sure, i'm just assuming that's the case. Especially since it would have to be linked by the NNID, right?

I don't think that would be necessary for just linking up the two systems and transferring things.

I imagine when DLC comes though, if you own a JP 3DS game and a US WiiU game, the DLC will be tied to the NNID. (Assuming the DLC is cross-buy, and heads will roll if it's not.)

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Few people who have been speaking about that actually have japanese games.

Makai

That's the thing, actually....

I was on #TeamCustoms until I played with them. A lot of them are ridiculous and I don't know of a good methodology for banning them individually.

I donno. It'd take some deciding. I'd hope one being at EVO wouldn't cause the other rule set to go nearly extinct though.
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if non-customs were 3 stock 8 minutes while customs were 4 stock 8 minutes. They can really speed up the game, though that comes at the cost of some characters not getting enough buffs to keep up.
Yeah, I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Will definitely help to have the amount of players mlutiply considerably in a week.

Imagine Meta Knight Tornado, except it goes sideways. ;P

Approaching him felt impossible.
Haha, that does sound pretty ridiculous.

jorgejjvr

Could you stop making posts trying to shut down discussion?
No? I didn't say anything out of the ordinary. Discussions are good, it just seems like people are complaining about everything and making a big deal about everything

And even those that have a Japanese 3ds have only played for a couple of weeks, still too early to tell or know anything

No? I didn't say anything out of the ordinary. Discussions are good, it just seems like people are complaining about everything and making a big deal about everything

And even those that have a Japanese 3ds have only played for a couple of weeks, still too early to tell or know anything
True, but you get to the point of knowing what is and isn't true about the game by discussing and playing the game. I agree that the people already making tier lists are a bit much, but I feel like we're having a pretty reasonable discussion here.

Unless you weren't referring to us, in which case, carry on. :p

jorgejjvr

True, but you get to the point of knowing what is and isn't true about the game by discussing and playing the game. I agree that the people already making tier lists are a bit much, but I feel like we're having a pretty reasonable discussion here.

Unless you weren't referring to us, in which case, carry on. :p
Settle it in smash!!!!!! xD

Azure J

The thing about the current subjects though, most of them have subjective elements to themselves that differ quite a bit between people. Custom moves are a thing that while the benefits and intrigue are obvious could also lead to people centralizing on certain characters or combinations just because of how powerful they might be in the current meta. As such, it's fair to assume that there'll be one side arguing ("complaining") for their inclusion as another side does the same for keeping them locked out/put on the sidelines.

For what it's worth, I love customs and feel glad to see that a lot of people in the positions to make them a part of Smash 4's meta agree. That however doesn't mean that I don't also agree with some criticism of the available specials, especially based on Hatchtag's post above.

Makai

That move is near-unpunishable. It's really fast, so the best I could do is hard read it with counter. I usually missed and got hit with it anyway.

This was in an online match with latency. Maybe it's weaker in-person.

Azure J

http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/c...le_known_thing_you_know_about_a_smash/cktsarp

Seems like a lot of people don't know that you can cancel Marth's Final Smash by pressing B again lol.

Would have expected better from a subreddit which is all about Super Smash Bros. :p

I'm legitimately surprised every time this is brought up. That was one of the first things I learned how to do (and exploit) in Brawl. The active frames persist for a long ass time and catching someone out of air dodge spam with the lingering hit box on landing was one of the most satisfying things in that game to pull off. :lol

JoeInky

Previous Characters (Click to view, Link made by Georly)

I know that there are a few other people doing custom moveset writeups now, but I really don't have the time or patience to go back and find older posts to make a CSS style thing, I had to redo it from scratch because you can't edit posts in locked threads so I couldn't just copy paste the stuff at the top of my Falco writeup.

3rd row time (or maybe it's technically completing the second row, seeing as I didn't make Links), this time I've managed to bang out an Ike writeup, haven't been feeling to great these past few days and won't for the next few days either, so we'll see how far I actually get with this and if it gets posted then that's great.

Neutral Special 1 (Eruption)

KjFfWGs.jpg
WK4nmDy.jpg

Ike charges his sword and slams it into the ground, causing an eruption of blue fire, damage, vertical range and knockback increase with charge time, and Ike will take 10% damage if the move is fully charged. The charge cannot be held indefinitely and the move will automatically active a small time after it reaches full charge.

The uncharged version will do 10% damage, knockback is vertical and has the power to kill Samus around 160% off the top.

The fully charged version does 35% damage, the knockback is more horizontal and can kill Samus around 70%.

You do 10% damage to yourself if you use the move when fully charged, but using it just below full charge has the same damage and knockback without the self damage, so there doesn't seem to be a benefit to letting it go to full charge as long as you can get the timing right (although when it is fully charged, Ike gets super armour as he slams his sword, though it's not massively useful).

Neutral Special 2 (Tempest)

kz699Nq.jpg
oWzvbDi.jpg

This move doesn't do any damage to yourself when fully charged and the damage it does to others is much less, it instead has a push back effect when the sword is slammed down.

The damage is 5% uncharged and 14% uncharged, knockback is negligible as it's possible to not kill someone at 999%, but the push back is relatively strong, depending on the opponents damage, sending them over halfway across battlefield at 0% and from one end of Battlefield to off-screen on the other side at 999% (at full charge, for both examples)

The charge time for this custom is also shorter than the default and it gives you a slight bit of upwards momentum when used in the air, though it's not a great stalling tool due to high endlag.

Neutral Special 3 (Furious Eruption)

IlxNdIi.jpg
pJGWxTU.jpg

The area of effect gets larger, but you do more damage to yourself when fully charged (15%) and the move does less damage to enemies, but the knockback scales differently.

The uncharged version does 7% and the fully charged version does 32%, the knockback is always vertical now, but the uncharged version can't kill Samus until 220% and the fully charged version kills as low as 35%.

The charge time is similar and it retains super armour on the fully charged version, but the endlag is longer.

Side Special 1 (Quick Draw)

PKJxWCQ.jpg
KBgiA2N.jpg

Ike charges and then darts across the screen, swing his sword at anyone he meets along the way and halting his vertical movement. Travel distance, damage and knockback are determined by the charge time.

The charge can be held indefinitely, but it reaches the max charge after a few seconds.

Minimum charge will send you a quarter of the way across Battlefield, does 6% damage and starts killing Samus around 260% whereas the maximum charge will send you three quarters of the way across Battlefield, does 13% damage and starts killing around 130%.

Hitting someone with the move will cancel your forward momentum and stop you right there.

This time, the move only puts you into special fall if you miss with it, hitting someone will still let you act out of it, after some end lag, so there's no more gimping Ike's horizontal recovery just by jumping into him.

Side Special 2 (Close Combat)

WuYdUPT.jpg
5izBbzE.jpg

This time, Ike never swings his sword, instead choosing to just charge straight through people, this means that you'll always go the same distance (which is equivalent to the default) but the move loses out on damage.

It will always do 4%, regardless of how much it is charged, and the knockback is also always the same, being almost equivalent to the default other than it takes an extra 10% to kill.

This move always puts you into special fall, even if you hit someone with it.

Side Special 3 (Unyielding Blade)

sOZ12ty.jpg
eHtG4WE.jpg

Ike gains super armour during the charge and the dash as well as higher damage and knockback, but he moves slower and travels less distance.

This time he does 7% damage at no charge and 19% at max charge, knockback on the minimum charge is equivalent to the default, whereas max charge will now kill at 100%.

This move will also always put you into special fall, the distance traveled at minimum charge is equivalent to the default, but max charge will only go halfway across Battlefield.

Up Special 1 (Aether)

vyT8OpS.jpg
f3P8Sxh.jpg

Ike throws his sword into the air, then jumps up to grab it, after which he spins in the air a few times before bringing it slamming to the ground.

It's a multihit move and does 19% damage if all the hits connect, it will also spike on the final hit.

Ike still has super armour whilst the sword isn't in his hands, and the sword itself will destroy a lot of projectiles, but the very limited horizontal travel means it's not an amazing general recovery move.

The move has less knockback if you only hit with the final slam, but connecting with the spin and the slam KOs at lower percentages (final hit can't KO at reasonable percentages, all hits connecting kills at ~260%, so the knockback still isn't great).

Up Special 2 (Aether Drive)

GB6mRla.jpg
9YqsrxS.jpg

This time Ike throws his sword diagonally, it does more damage if all hits connect (27%) but due to the angle he throws it, it's much harder for all hits to connect at low to mid percentages.

Everything else about the move seems the same, but you have no horizontal control whatsoever unlike the default, which means it needs to be aimed a bit better and due to it going more diagonal, it's not good at vertical recovery.

Up Special 3 (Aether Wave)

GQKaxiw.jpg
GGPu7ek.jpg

In this version, it's practically impossible to get all the hits to connect, as the initial hit does horizontal knockback instead of vertical, but Ike crates a shockwave as the sword lands, which gives it a bit more range.

The shockwave travels about a quarter of Battlefield and does more damage closer to Ike (starts at 8% and goes down to 4%), it's untested whether the shockwave counts as a porjectile and can be reflected.

Ike keeps the super armour on the startup but also gains super armour for almost the entirety of the (longer) endlag, everything else about the move seems the same as the default, but the knockback on the charge is actually a bit better, able to kill Samus around 210%.

Down Special 1 (Counter)

tX3eM5K.jpg
h19vvAh.jpg

Ike enters a defensive stance, counter attacking anyone that hits him whilst he flashes.

The counter attack damage and knockback is based on the attack countered, the multiplier is around 1.2x.

Down Special 2 (Paralyzing Counter)

tXAaczi.jpg
7WgS1pK.jpg

Only does 1% damage, but will paralyze the person it hits.

The paralyze duration is based on the opponents damage and it becomes long enough to followup around ~100%, after the stun, they get knocked vertically, though it's not enough to kill even at 300% (though it will kill at 999%, as if that matters)

Down Special 3 (Smash Counter)

QNDv41R.jpg
FQhTQsR.jpg

The counter attack is slower, but it has a higher knockback and damage multiplier, which is now around 1.5x.

The counter attack is slow enough for people to dodge it on reaction unless it's an aerial with high endlag and you were grounded, so it's much easier to miss with than the default, probably an upgrade as long as you use it properly.

Final Thoughts

The shockwave recovery is probably my favourite custom of the bunch and is probably the one I'd end up always using and the smash counter doesn't seem that great, but otherwise my loadout would be 2131.

Ike's customs are alright, but I can feel my gum expanding due to an abscess whilst the nerve gets stabbed by what feels like a needle at the moment, so I'm going to go gargle some salt water, take my amoxicillin and end it here.

KHlover

Banned
I'm legitimately surprised every time this is brought up. That was one of the first things I learned how to do (and exploit) in Brawl. The active frames persist for a long ass time and catching someone out of air dodge spam with the lingering hit box on landing was one of the most satisfying things in that game to pull off. :lol
Yep, always nice to catch someone who mistimes his dodge with the cancel animation xD

Molemitts

The omega mode for some stages creates a floating platform, whist for others creating a platform that extends down to the bottom of the screen. If you understand what I'm saying. Do you think this will be a big deal, or will it just not really matter that much? It seems like it could effect some character's recovery jumps.

SmithnCo

The omega mode for some stages creates a floating platform, whist for others creating a platform that extends down to the bottom of the screen. If you understand what I'm saying. Do you think this will be a big deal, or will it just not really matter that much? It seems like it could effect some character's recovery jumps.

Yeah, it could be a big deal for tourneys because the type of ledge affects your options for edgeguarding and whatnot.

Anth0ny

Bowser is basically Melee Ganon. Hits hard as fuck but is somewhat slow and is gonna get comboed like crazy. Though he has a better recovery than Ganon. And an out of shield option (up b). And fire.

He's a good character.

Hatchtag

Banned

It won't make any of them illegal, but it's something people will want to factor in when selecting a stage. Little Mac, for instance, can wall jump and thus will favor ones that run all the way to the ground.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Bowser is basically Melee Ganon. Hits hard as fuck but is somewhat slow and is gonna get comboed like crazy. Though he has a better recovery than Ganon. And an out of shield option (up b). And fire.

He's a good character.

I hope so. I really enjoy playing as Bowser when I can.

Salsa

uh. I had my first multiplayer match on the demo and I'm.. disappointed to see the game is noticeably laggy (input wise) even on wireless? :/

really worried about how this will work online from Latin America..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom