• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII PC |OT| Lightning must not be forgotten

wmlk

Man, what a difference when shit works correctly on the hair.
ibuDC0mXrxqwhf.png

But also: I finally encountered THIS!
ibcqjTXRq9tZ8P.png

Lightning looks 2edgy in the second pic.

Wait, so we are the tests?

I don't know, as far as I know it could just be an evil plan for SE to put the game on Steam so we test the game before it goes live on Dive In, then they fix the bugs and launch the service. The best and the cheapest QA =D

Otherwise the port may have been done by an inexperienced team, since they didn't plan to be a big port or whatever, they just give it to a new team to port so they can learn (an amazing amount of japanese devs don't know how to port a game to PC). That's why you have dumb decisions like the locked 720 and the fluctuating framerate (along with the most basic way to make dual audio).

But hey, I haven't even played the game yet, I don't know.

@Kagari, that's what I mean, why test if it's just a quick port, that was probably not a decision they made, it's just lack of testing.

Kirye

no, you have to:

1. unplug controller
2. launch game
3. ESC game
4. plug in controller
5. launch game

you have to do this every time you want to play the game

How would you go about doing this if you use a wireless 360 controller with a wireless adapter? Unplug the adapter then plug it back in?

Also this is ridiculous.

Does anyone get frame drops during battles when certain abilities are used [or rather just alot of special effects going on]. I typically have a solid 60 frames with less than 20 percent usage but once I get into battle when alot of effects start appearing or I use a ability like Snows Grenade the frames will drop down to 35-45 for a split second and then revert back to 60. The GPU Usage is still 20 percent during this. Its like the game just randomly decides to slow down when there's alot of effects going on. Anyone else getting this?

BONKERS

Have discovered a fatal flaw with forcing AA so far.

This will happen.

Either randomly in battle, or transitioning out of battle back to the field play screen.

iNJzQz3xJuRl0.png

This screen will be frozen, numbers and stuff will still be happening on screen/sound.

artsi

All my character have weird eyeliner and blocky hair when GEDO is enabled, I hope it can be fixed.

Otherwise the game looks gorgeous.

BONKERS

All my character have weird eyeliner and blocky hair when GEDO is enabled, I hope it can be fixed.

Otherwise the game looks gorgeous.

This is probably due to how they rendered any kind of hair, eyelashes, facial hair included.

Any increase in resolution for this, results in the heavy eyelash look. (Think they used Alpha test was it?)

Using driver forced OGSSAA produces the same result.

Perhaps this is why they locked it to 1280x720...

As for the error I posted above. I have found somewhat a fix for that. But it does impact AA quality a little.

decyx

How would you go about doing this if you use a wireless 360 controller with a wireless adapter? Unplug the adapter then plug it back in?

Also this is ridiculous.

If you don't have a controller, use vjoy as a fake controller. Be sure to leave all buttons set to "none."

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Driver forced 4x4 OGSSAA
1x2 OGSSAA+2xSGSSAA does not have the issue
neither does 1x2 OGSSAA+4xSGSSAA
Using durante's GeDoSaTo alpha for the game, it's fine downsampling from 5120x2880 but shits out with the hair when downsampling from 7680x4320. So there is some kind of limit on it and if your AA is scaling too hard it'll break the hair.

BONKERS

Perhaps.

1x2 OGSSAA+4xSGSSAA so, far. Basically perfect. No issues (Except for some minor moire and shimmering compared to prior SGSSAA. I thought it might be the scaling. So I set scaling to 1:1 pixel with no scaling. And looks sharp as can be. And the moire is still there a bit.)
iIDaAn05NtbqQ.png

AJ_Wings

This is probably due to how they rendered any kind of hair, eyelashes, facial hair included.

Any increase in resolution for this, results in the heavy eyelash look. (Think they used Alpha test was it?)

Using driver forced OGSSAA produces the same result.

Perhaps this is why they locked it to 1280x720...

As for the error I posted above. I have found somewhat a fix for that. But it does impact AA quality a little.

I got the same issue when I was forcing 16x CSAA on the Nividia control panel so I restored that to default and just kept the forced AF and Vsync and let GedoSato default FF13 config do the rest. Worked for me.

BONKERS

Nothing, i've tried or seen. Seems to affect the map. It is ODDLY pixellated.. I don't recall if it's like that in the original though

I got the same issue when I was forcing 16x CSAA on the Nividia control panel so I restored that to default and just kept the forced AF and Vsync and let GedoSato default FF13 config do the rest. Worked for me.

Yeah, well i'm doing more than just doing it in NVCP. The game doesn't have a profile and even if Nvidia made official bits for it. It wouldn't work well 9/10 times.

Plus, i'm going beyond just MSAA here. The game has a lot to clean up.

And so, the right combination of logic bits to tell the driver to do what with what kind of what , to get various things working correctly is needed.

And then debug variables introduced in the process, process of elimination,etc.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Settings' problems apart, man this game looks so good still after so many years. When I look back at most of the games released long ago on the last gen I come out disgusted, but FFXIII manages to appear pretty even for nowdays standards. S-E is just amazing when it comes to this.

Knurek

Okay, anyone can tell why the game is not visible in the New Releases/Best Selling tabs on Steam?
Like, at all?
You can search for the game, you can open the game store page, but it just straight up disappeared from the main Steam page.
This can't be a good thing...

It must be selling quite a bit - it has a concurrent # of players topping 5k.
What the eff?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Okay, anyone can tell why the game is not visible in the New Releases/Best Selling tabs on Steam?
Like, at all?
You can search for the game, you can open the game store page, but it just straight up disappeared from the main Steam page.
This can't be a good thing...

It must be selling quite a bit - it has a concurrent # of players topping 5k.
What the eff?

5K isn't a lot for Steam lol: http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

The download finished over night and I won't get to play the game for another 10-14 hours (depends on how long I have to work today). So when I get home I'd like to play the game in the best possible state.

What are the biggest issues with the port and what are the solutions to these issues?
Is it based on the 360 version? How are the FMV? Bink video?

Perfo

I think you should be a little more positive and supportive just this time Kagari. If FFXIII doesn't sell to their expectations, they could simply think there's no audience for jRPGs on PC (and that could be too, but hopefully doesn't end up this way). FF – as a brand – has the potential to not just take more FFs on PC but to pull even different jRPG brands on it. People should buy it asap, even if they don't give a fuck about it. It's for the future of the genre on it.

ZeroX03

Banned
Edgeworth: Who is the worst Final Fantasy protagonist!?

That 60GB is holding me back from impulse purchasing the game just to test how it runs on my rig (and laptop). Fuckin' SE.

I think you should be a little more positive and supportive just this time Kagari. If FFXIII doesn't sell to their expectations, they could simply think there's no audience for jRPGs on PC (and that could be too, but hopefully doesn't end up this way). FF – as a brand – has the potential to not just take more FFs on PC but to pull even different jRPG brands on it. People should buy it asap, even if they don't give a fuck about it. It's for the future of the genre on it.

Alternatively it sends the message that "it's acceptable to put bad ports (of mediocre games) on Steam, cuz they sell". Don't give people "the future of the genre" speech, this is not the game or the port they should be judging it on.

Perfo

Alternatively it sends the message that "it's acceptable to put bad ports (of mediocre games) on Steam, cuz they sell". Don't give people "the future of the genre" speech, this is not the game or the port they should be judging it on.

There are so many pages so I can't see what's wrong with it in a single read. But the game released as it is has any problems running? I understand people being tired by not having 1080p and 60fps, but those were no standards in the original versions so game should be judged for what it is: a porting of a 5 yrs old game. If people want to "hack" it because they don't like the settings I think it's more a problem with them than with the original port. Now if the game is an unplayable mess even in its standards configurations...

Worst port I've ever played. They actually managed to make it worse than Dark Souls.

Actually, Dark Souls was hardlocked at 30FPS. I wouldn't say it's as bad. Also, it performs pretty well except for the drops related to how the game handle vsync I guess.

Its not a good port but it's not a bad port either. It's just a straight port basically.

dc89

Some of the screenshots where folk have tinkered with the graphic settings look amazing. I guess this is why SE didn't bother, because they knew people who wanted higher quality would find a way and it wouldn't cost them a penny. Or am I being too cynical?

Seanspeed

Banned
I'll take a mediocre port over no port anyday.

They're not going to suddenly start putting *more* effort in because of bad sales. It just doesn't work like that. The only way its going to get better is if they think there are enough customers to put in the effort for.

BONKERS

Some of the screenshots where folk have tinkered with the graphic settings look amazing. I guess this is why SE didn't bother, because they knew people who wanted higher quality would find a way and it wouldn't cost them a penny. Or am I being too cynical?

I'd like to not be cynical too.

ALSO: I Think the blobby and thick hair/eyelash problem happens once you extend beyond 2x2 . I don't know whether 2x2 rendering , or display resolution or what.

With what i'm doing, anything over 2x2, the problem happens.

Good news is that we can do 2x2 OGSSAA+8xSGSSAA.

Which looks pretty good
ibm1sNLRzPdImS.png

Not perfect though due to issues from having to avoid the stuff that causes the glitches i've shown. So there are still some harsh elements left.

ZeroX03

Banned
There are so many pages so I can't see what's wrong with it in a single read. But the game released as it is has any problems running? I understand people being tired by not having 1080p and 60fps, but those were no standards in the original versions so game should be judged for what it is: a porting of a 5 yrs old game. If people want to "hack" it because they don't like the settings I think it's more a problem with them than with the original port. Now if the game is an unplayable mess even in its standards configurations...

The age of the game has nothing to do with being able to pick the resolution or other PC gaming standards. Games much older than FFXIII can be played at higher resolutions. It's laziness on SE's part, nothing else, no excuse.

I'll take a mediocre port over no port anyday.

Me too, but it also means I'll pay what it's worth.

They're not going to suddenly start putting *more* effort in because of bad sales. It just doesn't work like that. The only way its going to get better is if they think there are enough customers to put in the effort for.

Unless we make enough noise that it's not acceptable to rely on Durante to fix your shit, like DSII.

Perfo

The age of the game has nothing to do with being able to pick the resolution or other PC gaming standards. Games much older than FFXIII can be played at higher resolutions. It's laziness on SE's part, nothing else, no excuse.

It's a port, not a remake.

BONKERS

List.

Very low volume (Has basically ~20dB of headroom for volume normalization)
No volume slider(As if it would make a difference since the current levels would probably be max)
Hitting ESC at anytime will quit the game entirely (DAFUQ's idea was this??) Normally this opens any kind of menu in most PC games
Poor performance See below
Microstuttering abundance (IE: Constant dips, but significantly low GPU usage), more with KB&M than controller. I am never getting near 99% GPU usage even with no AA, but constant framerate and frame variance problems. Perhaps due to their VSync ...
Locked to 1280x720
Literally no PC options
No AA it seems like (Where as consoles had MSAA. Though it could just be my eyes)
No stable framerate caps available. Need 30FPS,60FPS and unlocked frame caps.
Ultra low resolution shadows with no decent filtering that look worse than the original
Significant shadow map depth bias issues resulting in Shadow Acne (Google it) that don't exist in the original PS3 game as far as I remember. I will play side by side if I have to.
There are some issues with the alpha test hair (Also mentioned in my Audio post link above) that I don't recall exist in original game. Again I will play side by side. Probably tomorrow night
Sub-par low resolution ultra compressed FMVs (IS BINK)
60GB DL FOR THE ABOVE. Because game includes both JPN and ENG FMVs instead of smartly offering different versions to download or as free DLC

It's 2014, they've had 5 YEARS to get this done right.

Inexcusable.

As well, Resolution =/= Remake.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It's a port, not a remake.

Do you think it needs to be a "remake" to allow higher resolutions? Every PC game ever offers multiple resolutions, including many from old console games.

You'd have to be as estranged from PC gaming as Square Enix clearly are to think this is even reasonable.

Seanspeed

Banned
Unless we make enough noise that it's not acceptable to rely on Durante to fix your shit, like DSII.
And that would have never happened if Dark Souls 1 hadn't sold decently.

I get what you're saying, but nothing is going to get better if people don't buy these.

Also, £11 seems like a pretty good price for even a mediocre port of a big-name JRPG.

Top Bottom