• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Shaneus

I agree it looks so real especially using dashboard view with no hud. Just imagine the same time lapse video but with the weather update! The future DC screenshot thread using photo mode will be insane
You can use any view. I was playing with bumper cam tonight and it felt like I was starring in Rendez-Vous. Honestly did.

shandy706

Amazing, make more

Thanks, I will in the near future. The only other things I have from playing last night is this gif of me getting in everyone's way while free roaming and shots of my LFA.

exahrc.gif

ibjKDtCRpmFZqt.jpg

ibwoKBYm09Wlfw.jpg

bj00rn_

Banned
Also, it's not even going to look as good on my gaming PC as the bullshots and bullgifs being flung around in this thread.

You'd be surprised over what the new wave of GPUs are capable of.. I for one couldn't believe my eyes when I found out that I could do 4K downsample and still run beautiful games like The Vanishing of Ethan Carter in ~60fps at virtually perfect IQ (even without SLI).

p3tran

Banned
so, I just completed a long session of drive club..

I completed the first 15 or something events, all with 3 stars etc etc.

aaand
I have a question:

is there ANYBODY, that has both consoles (ps4/xbone) and both games (driveclub/horizon)
that can come here and claim that overall graphically driveclub is equal (let alone better) to horizon?

please notice I dont ask this question to any other type of people, than the one I precisely described: both consoles/both games owner.

people who want to respond, please quote my post and write your thing.

aaand
I have a question:

is there ANYBODY, that has both consoles (ps4/xbone) and both games (driveclub/horizon)
that can come here and claim that overall graphically driveclub is equal (let alone better) to horizon?

please notice I dont ask this question to any other type of people, than the one I precisely described: both consoles/both games owner.

I own both and I say it's hit or miss. Sometimes DC looks worse, sometimes better. I'd give it overall to DC because when it shines it really does but only by a smidge.

adelante

- Screen space reflection (FH2's wet roads have to use dynamic cubemaps which are expensive and limited)

I'm not convinced DC's models are any better than anyone else's though.

I'm pretty sure FH2 uses screen space/local reflections. It displays problems inherent with such technique; missing information such as bottom of cars, isn't reflected on the road like it should.

I'm pretty sure FH2 uses screen space/local reflections. It displays problems inherent with such technique; missing information such as bottom of cars, isn't reflected on the road like it should.

Yep, both DC and FH2 use SSR. Driveclub also uses some dynamic subemaps (the drivers car for example)

Gestault

Shandy threw up a video on their activity feed on Live of just...sitting in a field at night. Pretty crazy clouds rolling in, and just this boom of thunder plays a few seconds in. Just...I know it's not graphics (the clouds looked impressive, though) but man is sound design handled well this generation. That may very well go down for me as one of those moments for this game. Understated, yeah, but just good stuff, all around.

strata8

Yep, both DC and FH2 use SSR. Driveclub also uses some dynamic subemaps (the drivers car for example)

Maybe for the cars but I'm not convinced it's doing it for the environment. Look at how the reflection differs in this image:

nYONGVu.jpg

Granted, that's from E3, but there are similar inconsistencies in the final game.

Maybe for the cars but I'm not convinced it's doing it for the environment. Look at how the reflection differs in this image:

nYONGVu.jpg

Granted, that's from E3, but there are similar inconsistencies in the final game.

Well SSR is a full scren pass, you cannot limit it to select things (beyond changing their reflectiveness). In FH2 retail, you can see its cornercase problems all over the place (same in DC too).

aaand
I have a question:

I'm going to quote what I said a few pages earlier in this thread:

Driveclub can look really ugly at times but there are moments with mind-blowing visuals.

I'm playing both FH2 and DC at the moment and I can't really decide which graphics I prefer.

DC offers better lighting and more detailed environments. FH2 offers vibrant colors, amazing image quality and seems more fluid. The latter is really weird. I know both games are 30 fps but the motion blur used in FH2 makes the game look more fluid.

I can't really say much about Project Cars. It's been a while since I played a build of that game.

I'd say that the best moments of DC look better than the best moments of FH2. But is it better overall? I haven't made up my mind yet.

VanWinkle

aaand
I have a question:

I don't OWN FH2 but I spent considerable time on the demo. I would say DC looks quite a bit better. The only plus for FH2, though its a big one, is IQ. Nothing else about it looks better. DC has way more impressive lighting and environments which goes a long way.

GHG

Gold Member

aaand
I have a question:

Honestly, it depends on the time of day/weather settings and the location you're in Sometimes FH2 looks better, other times Driveclub will look better.

High points of both games are pretty equal IMO. The environments in DC can look a bit better in prime lighting conditions but then you can't physically drive to them...

Dynamic lighting can be a bitch sometimes.

I honestly expected everybody who's played both to say DC trashes FH2 visuals under every condition.

Haven't seen DC look anything but superb but then I haven't spent any more than a couple of minutes watching videos of it.

VanWinkle

I honestly expected everybody who's played both to say DC trashes FH2 visuals under every condition.

Haven't seen DC look anything but superb but then I haven't spent any more than a couple of minutes watching videos of it.

IQ is its downfall but its no "horrible" or anything. Its just not up to the standard set by FH2.

It comes down to personal preference really. To me all racers apart from GT look somewhat stylized with their graphic style, even though many people say that DC looks realistic, but I'm not convinced, I can always tell it's a game, for some GT5/6 shots I had to actually double take whether it's a game or reality. Hasn't happened with any other game including DC/PC/FM/FH and so on.

PD always manages to make the most realistic looking racers. Always. GT7 will be no different, I'm sure.

Horizon 2 is colorful, vibrant and clean, and looks best at speed off-road, on night-time rain-slicked roads, and at dusk or dawn with its long shadows and gleaming sun shining just beyond the crest of the hill and behind the trees. But the roads and buildings are overly simple and smooth in shape, the off-road trails are flat in detail (a regression from the graphics in Horizon 1's expansion), and there is a good amount of pop-in on cars ahead of you on the road. Something about those simple roads and buildings still screams last gen to me, even though there have been a ton of improvements.

DriveClub has a duller palette, but the lighting is on an altogether higher tier than anything in Horizon. That lighting, with those car models (immaculate both outside and in), and the much greater detail in track geometry and textures reaches much, much greater heights than Horizon.

They are two different styles - and where I have loved the artistry on the vistas in Horizon, DriveClub has honestly floored me on many occasions. I just feel far more immersed in DC than I ever have in Horizon, even though Horizon is a beautiful place to be. Play some of DC's point to point tracks without a hud and if you're not seeing something above and beyond what any console game has graced us with then we just have completely different eyes.

nib95

Banned
Horizon 2 is colorful, vibrant and clean, and looks best at speed off-road, on night-time rain-slicked roads, and at dusk or dawn with its long shadows and gleaming sun shining just beyond the crest of the hill and behind the trees. But the roads and buildings are overly simple and smooth in shape, the off-road trails are flat in detail (a regression from the graphics in Horizon 1's expansion), and there is a good amount of pop-in on cars ahead of you on the road. Something about those simple roads and buildings still screams last gen to me, even though there have been a ton of improvements.

DriveClub has a duller palette, but the lighting is on an altogether higher tier than anything in Horizon. That lighting, with those car models (immaculate both outside and in), and the much greater detail in track geometry and textures reaches much, much greater heights than Horizon.

They are two different styles - and where I have loved the artistry on the vistas in Horizon, DriveClub has honestly floored me on many occasions. I just feel far more immersed in DC than I ever have in Horizon, even though Horizon is a beautiful place to be. Play some of DC's point to point tracks without a hud and if you're not seeing something above and beyond what any console game has graced us with then we just have completely different eyes.

Good points all around.

thumbsupcomputerkid.gif

shandy706

I want to make a better version of this gif. Need to use Game DVR instead of the shorter "record that" command.

It's a photo mode to gameplay gif...too short though. I may take another swing at it tomorrow.

The point of it is to show vanilla shots (that I've posted a lot of) look like gameplay if you drop out all camera alterations.

Here's the gif and shot. I'll try something more intricate when I have time.

shixyi.gif

benzy

Also some of those trees in the distance came out looking pretty damn funny here.

That's just LOD scaling that affects just about all console games, especially for vegetation objects. I think it's a more noticeable effect on DC since getting close up to the trees will show a considerable amount of detail that went into creating the stumps/leaves/foliage, and the dithering, blurriness, and jaggies aren't there. If you view the same trees far off at a distance the fine details will be lost.

Notice how detailed and clean the trees and foliage are, image quality is pretty good, not much dithering or jaggies.
ibp9c66kwuKzMl.jpg

Here you can see that only the closer trees to the camera have that kind of fidelity. The trees in the distance lost quite a bit of detail and clarity.

ibyl6qBlwWGYpT.jpg

I'd definitely like to see EvoStudios improve this aspect in a sequel if they get a chance. I'm wondering if they'd still be limited by the hardware or with more time they'd be able to achieve the LOD scaling in the very first bullshot they released when Driveclub was first announced.

image_driveclub-22874-2662_0001.jpg

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Fh2 is so clean the image just pops. DC is a duller more mudder pallette. It's just down to preference. I need to play DC before I make final judgement but fh2 looms incredible in the iq department. Like the first time I saw infamous

nib95

Banned
Fh2 is so clean the image just pops. DC is a duller more mudder pallette. It's just down to preference. I need to play DC before I make final judgement but fh2 looms incredible in the iq department. Like the first time I saw infamous

It's not necessarily a duller or more muddy palette. I wish people would stop trying to redefine real life, because that's what the lighting and colour palette in Driveclub is, realistic. Not muddy or dull, just realistic. Yes, in real life sometimes lighting conditions make for duller or more gloomy conditions, where other times it's bright, colourful and sunny. The difference is FH2 is somewhat artificial looking, in that it has more obtuse colours and lighting, with burnt out or excessive saturation and filters, which often make for a less realistic, exaggerated and gamey look (though it does also feature more gloomy conditions as well). That's probably partly down to it's less advanced lighting engine, which can't replicate the accuracy and realism of Driveclub's. It may very well also be somewhat intentional, to give it that over the top colourful look.

Hasn't Forza always been known for a more colourful approach, even in comparison to Gran Turismo?
Yes, I think Forza's approach is much more about the visual ideal rather than an attempt at realistic visualization. I appreciate the more saturated look than the more earthy, mundane one that GT and, apparently, Drive Club, goes for as it does wonders for the mood conveyed, particularly with Horizon which is intentionally, well, festive.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
It's not necessarily a duller or more muddy palette. I wish people would stop trying to redefine real life, because that's what the lighting and colour palette in Driveclub is, realistic. Not muddy or dull, just realistic. Yes, in real life sometimes lighting conditions make for duller or more gloomy conditions, where other times it's bright, colourful and sunny. The difference is FH2 is somewhat artificial looking, in that it has more obtuse colours and lighting, with burnt out or excessive saturation and filters, which often make for a less realistic, exaggerated and gamey look (though it does also feature more gloomy conditions as well). That's probably partly down to it's less advanced lighting engine, which can't replicate the accuracy and realism of Driveclub's. It may very well also be somewhat intentional, to give it that over the top colourful look.

Load up forza 5 on the top gear track when it's overcast and that game looks so close to real it's insane. I live in a similar area and it blew me and my friends away. It can't be down to the lighting because forza 5 has poor lighting doesn't it.

I totally agree with you in some ways tho. Fh2 deffo looks gamey. It looks vibrant and pops. Very clean. Just pops like infamous. Driveclub image quality looks off to me. Any flat textures lose texture quality quick. Which u know forza horizon 2 does too but you don't notice due to the vibrant colours. The roofs of cars etc look off in dc. Quiet jaggy in certain areas. But like you said. In small gifs and in the right situations it looks real. Like unreal good. It's like the best type of development. When you just look at it it looks amazing but upon closer inspection or full screen DC loses that hype IMO

benzy

Load up forza 5 on the top gear track when it's overcast and that game looks so close to real it's insane. I live in a similar area and it blew me and my friends away. It can't be down to the lighting because forza 5 has poor lighting doesn't it.

I totally agree with you in some ways tho. Fh2 deffo looks gamey. It looks vibrant and pops. Very clean. Just pops like infamous. Driveclub image quality looks off to me. Any flat textures lose texture quality quick. Which u know forza horizon 2 does too but you don't notice due to the vibrant colours. The roofs of cars etc look off in dc. Quiet jaggy in certain areas. But like you said. In small gifs and in the right situations it looks real. Like unreal good. It's like the best type of development. When you just look at it it looks amazing but upon closer inspection or full screen DC loses that hype IMO

FH2 could have a dull color pallette depending on the lighting conditions.

iVzTBQQV5XbxL.PNG

Prototype

I want to make a better version of this gif. Need to use Game DVR instead of the shorter "record that" command.

It's a photo mode to gameplay gif...too short though. I may take another swing at it tomorrow.

The point of it is to show vanilla shots (that I've posted a lot of) look like gameplay if you drop out all camera alterations.

Here's the gif and shot. I'll try something more intricate when I have time.

shixyi.gif

This is fucking crazy.

Has done more to convince me of getting an xbone then anything else I've seen or heard, and I'm a Sony guy.

Wow.
Just wow.
Amazing.

The picture looks so fucking good and I just saw you take it, like no big thing, while you were playing.

Seriously, blowing my fucked mind.

Edit.
Do another one please. Mclaren F1! The gif of you taking it and the shot itself. Such a cool idea.

Has done more to convince me of getting an xbone then anything else I've seen or heard, and I'm a Sony guy.

Wow.
Just wow.
Amazing.

The picture looks so fucking good and I just saw you take it, like no big thing, while you were playing.

I think a lot of PS4 owners would be surprised at just how easy and integrated media sharing is with the Xbox - video especially. Several games will record clips automatically when they've detected you've done something cool - Horizon 2 does this with high skill chains and long air time - and boom, you can instantly share a link to it here.

Horizon also has one hell of a photo mode like all of the Forzas, so screens are easy to share too, though the Xbox still needs an OS level screenshot capture capability.

And just to add one last bit - Kinect actually works great in Horizon 2. Using voice to ask Anna to plot a course to the next event or current hub, or the festival garage - its just helpful and perfectly realized.

Prototype

I think a lot of PS4 owners would be surprised at just how easy and integrated media sharing is with the Xbox - video especially. Several games will record clips automatically when they've detected you've done something cool - Horizon 2 does this with high skill chains and long air time - and boom, you can instantly share a link to it here.

Horizon also has one hell of a photo mode like all of the Forzas, so screens are easy to share too, though the Xbox still needs an OS level screenshot capture capability.

And just to add one last bit - Kinect actually works great in Horizon 2. Using voice to ask Anna to plot a course to the next event or current hub, or the festival garage - its just helpful and perfectly realized.

It's funny you mention voice because I was one of the "haters" of xbone kinect, but since I got my Galaxy S5, I talk to my phone all the time via ok Google, and Google now. In fact I prefer to talk because it's easier - to send texts, make calls, get directions, set reminders and alarms, ect. Every time I have to actually fucking write something with my hands I start to get angry and annoyed lol. Hands free is the future.

But on topic,
I had no idea it was like that on xbone. Very cool, and honestly, that shot he took looks better then a using I've seen in DC.

btags

It actually is a duller color palette by definition because they desaturate the image. If you do not believe me watch this video and go to about 2:37. It describes how they desaturate the image to "add a more honest feel."

benzy

This is fucking crazy.

Wow.
Just wow.
Amazing.

Edit.
Do another one please. Mclaren F1! The gif of you taking it and the shot itself. Such a cool idea.

Hmmm, if FH2's photomode is like the previous one, and the same as with GT and FM series, then entering photomode is still all in-game. The post processing effects, AA and supersampling for the image quality isn't applied until after the image is taken where the game has to render and load the final image. In Shandy's gif I don't think he actually took the photo since there's no "processing photo" screen, he just exited photomode then went into the settings to share the video capture. Still, gif's aren't really a good way to show the similarities between photomode capture and real-time capture, even DC has very good image quality in gifs.

Edit - ah wait, I think I see what you're referring to. The ease of taking the photos, which is pretty similar to the PGR series and mainline Forza series? Shandy's post was talking about photomode capture looking like gameplay, but we don't have a direct-feed capture to compare.

ShamePain

Banned

The reality is that FH2's lighting is still realistic for the area depicted in the game, it's summer and full of vegetation, flowers, clear blue sky and water. It's perfectly fine and if you look up images of the real life counterparts of FH2 locale you'll see that the lighting is spot on. On the other side DC features countries that are not so close to the equator, so it's also a realistic depiction of the areas. That's how I would picture Sweden, Canada and the rest. So both are realistic in respect to the areas depicted in the games, I'm sure there are bright, sunny and colorful days in Sweden as well as dark, overcast days with muted colors in Italy. But both developers opted for what is considered the typical lighting conditions of these locations.

Good point, it is harder to make Drive Club look good in pictures because of the time of day and the lighting is so important for a vibrant and good looking picture. This could get resolved with the photomode I think or you need the option to set the weather and time of day to anything you like at any given time to set the stage for a picture manually. Horizon 2 is way more interesting to look at as of now despite it being not as realistic with it's lighting.

Edit: To put it in a simpler way, realism alone doesn't make interesting screenshots/pictures!

Edit 2:
Uhm, yes they do, DC/FM5/FH2 all have physically based lighting.

Also, FM5's lighting on Silverstone is similar to real life and simulates the muted colors and the general color palette of overcast weather condition. I say it's pretty damn close to the real thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52LD-N4QUVs

This is a good example, nobody (except sim-racing fans) will praise the graphics here, even though they are very close to the real thing. It just doesn't look very interesting.

ShamePain

Banned
the big difference is that DC's enviromental materials react to lighting in a physical correct manner. Forzas doesn't.

Uhm, yes they do, DC/FM5/FH2 all have physically based lighting.

Also, FM5's lighting on Silverstone is similar to real life and simulates the muted colors and the general color palette of overcast weather condition. I say it's pretty damn close to the real thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52LD-N4QUVs

Prototype

It's just extra crazy because he didn't edit the photo or pretty it up, racing around and just snap!, here you go.

I looked at the photo full screen and zoomed way in and it still looks amazing.

strata8

FH2 really looks its best in sunny conditions IMO.

GetPhoto.ashx

Having grown up in an area with a similar climate, it perfectly captures the brightness and dry heat of a clear spring day, even if it is a bit more saturated.

The Nürburgring looks insane too. FM5 is actually a really good looking game, however the lighting on some tracks still looks off. I hate the lighting on the de la Sarthe tracks for example.

Ah ok. I see what you're saying now. :)

Playground also introduced a short cut for the photo mode. You just have to press up on the d-pad and the game takes you to photo mode. You don't have to click through menus.

benzy

You rarely see clouds like that in real life though. The tech isn't there yet to simulate complex cloud formations that can occur in real life. DC seems to have this uniform single color blob floating in the air. Certainly nothing like this is ever present in DC.
http://wallpoper.com/images/00/37/35/73/sunset-clouds_00373573.jpg
Also in FH2 clouds while not volumetric are also dynamic and cast shadows on the terrain. Until tech can run a sophisticated clue simulation dynamic skyboxes will remain a viable solution to represent sky and clouds.

Cloud shadows are indeed awesome. And the size of the gif helps hide that the clouds lack definition. But, to be fair, the timelapses I've seen of FH2 show that it also has cloud shadows. I would say the DC still has better cloud effects even with my complaints about the resolution / depth.

I got the chance to experiment more with the cloud system and get more footage. The clouds can actually be a lot more defined and dispersed than what I had previously captured, it just depends on the time of day and where the sunlight will hit the volumetric particles. I also had to wait a little bit before this kind of dispersion came. Setting the in-game time lapse to 1x instead of 60x certainly helps show it off better since with 60x and then speeding up the captured footage made the big stormy clouds pass by too fast at the wrong lighting condition, so that was my mistake. Really impressive cloud tech for a racing game and a lot more advanced than in FH2.

zpqzjg.gif

evfbyu.gif

And that's just showing the stormy condition setting. There are 3 other weather settings (clear, cloudy, and overcast) with different cloud types and bunch of variations in size and shapes since they're all dynamically formed.

iB9Jkj1gZ7o70.jpg

iYZF4Qr6Xm8gN.jpg

ibyjUok65HUckX.jpg

ihYvjUhMsuEpd.jpg

i0H9Xw7vhhDmF.jpg

Top Bottom