• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes you can do that, but you can continue the drift for long time. Thats the problem.

You can't do it like you would with a drifting set-up like you would in Forza or GT as the game doesn't have tuning, but you can keep it going fairly long considering. You just have to ensure the car you use is powerful enough that once you accelerate hard it will lose grip. I have found feint drifting to be the best but you need a 60mph+ speed to kick it off, once you are in then it is up to you to keep it going.

They should of put a mass stress test out for this like Bungie did with Destiny.
Fixed, and agreed 1,000%

Good at worst, stunning at best.
Individual parts can be nitpicked, especially when still. But hot damn when you're in motion and see that those hills in the distance are actual geometry and you can feel yourself plummeting through those three dimensions, on these narrow and winding strips of road, with dirt kicking up, and overhanging tree branches swooshing by, and leaves and confetti and smoke scattering in the wake of torn air as the sun peaks through the trees and all descends into darkness as your headlights whip into life to carve some visibility ahead.

Its one thing to have all the right material properties on the car and in the cabin, but its an entirely better level of awesome to have such believable lighting working upon those properties. The end effect of all of that movement and noise and engine thrumming and vibration is nothing short of spectacular. I'm hooked, but not out of any XP bar to fill up or unlocks I'm salivating for. Its the raw sensation of speed, the sensation of mastering a track and mastering a car, and the focus to get ahead of the AI without everything turning into slip slide bumper cars followed by a long exhale and a restart.

Loudninja

@Nilliz85 The patch is to help us resolve the issues, it won't fix things immediately as the major fixes have to be done server side.
https://twitter.com/Rushy33/status/521070353033211904

@Noble_Spark The concurrency issues haven't been fixed yet. This patch will help us fix those issues though.
https://twitter.com/Rushy33/status/521070543878258688
@PaPaWaisWais The server issues still haven't been fully addressed. The latest patch is there to help us resolve the problems.
https://twitter.com/Rushy33/status/521070911667986433

drotahorror

I remember Rushy or someone saying that if you wait you'll eventually get online. Not true. I was able to get online 2 separate times while my buddy never once got on and he was on before me, and well after me and I had turned my console off a time or two inbetween and he never turned his off once.

Yeah, there's a few issues with flower pop-in on a few of the Scotland tracks, but overall the game looks much better in cockpit view.

Cockpit view in general is so freaking good. I normally never choose them in other racing games, preferring overview over immersion, but in this one I feel like I'm losing too much driving in the standard 3rd person view. Don't care if it's easier in some situations. I just want the thrills.

Sarvatt

Neo Member
Looks like they're going back and retroactively adding your offline points to the clubs now, my club of 2 people just jumped to our combined single player score

edit: I take that back, we're now 200k past our combined score and our club score is going up 90k every 5 minutes or so just sitting in the menus..

Xater

Hopefully DRIVECLUB's online features will be fixed by Monday. I know Call of Duty gets a lot of flack, but at least their darn servers work on day one!

same here.

PSN will be down on Monday though. So yeah...

This is probably the longest downtime I have ever experienced for a single game. Kinda shocking.

Hyphen

Been following this game for a while as I am in need of a racer for my PS4 - Never really been enamoured by any of the Need for Speed games, so it's a shame that DRIVECLUB hasn't got off to the best of starts. Think I might just hold out totally until the weather update before delving into this one. Hopefully all with be smooth by then.

OmegaDL50

I don't even have PS+ to get online. So netplay isn't my concern at the moment. Having a Club however is.

At this point I just want to create a club with my family account so I can just get Club benefits in Tour mode and I can't even do this.

nib95

Banned

This just further speaks to the ineptitude and ignorance of certain journalists and reviewers. Reading some of the reviews was frustrating, because I've actually been analysing the AI in different gameplay videos for the longest time, and know for a fact that so many of the comments ushered by certain journalists was false.

High speed collisions are sometimes unavoidable, especially when the sense of speed and reaction is as quick and aggressive as it is in Driveclub. But it was amusing hearing certain journalists say crap like this….

Gamespot said:
Your opponents are concerned above all else with the prescribed racing line, regardless of which car they drive, favoring the most aggressive possible speeds down the clearest, most obvious route. This lack of adaptability isn't much of a concern early in your tour, but when the cars get faster and the courses get more labyrinthine.

AI racers tend to clump up around certain curves and ignore the presence of other vehicles, including your own. AI vehicles prefer collisions to deviations from the line,

Giant Bomb said:
If the game's single-minded AI decides to slam into you.

Whilst at the same time they themselves were smashing in to opponent vehicles left and right in their gameplay videos, hands on and reviews. It's as if they expect the AI to behave in an extraordinarily pedestrian and polite way, when they themselves are not even capable of the same, sometimes not even out of intention.

This video is just further insult to injury.

Nokterian

I love racing games, Forza Motorsport an GT are amazing games to Drift, is not that easy but when your learn is amazing, but in Driveclub is pretty arcade, you cant even Drift at slow speed. Did you played the game?

Did you play the game? Still comparing to a game like Forza or GT those are sims. And you can drift at low speeds and a gaffer posted a video with a spyker just doing that and why the hell should i drift the whole time? Doesn't make any sense.

Thats one corner drift, in GT or Forza you can drift non stop a complete track.
there is no drift trial that requires doing that,
however if you want to drift linked corners it is still possible, you can of course rotate the car back to grip then immediately start a drift the other way.. You need to work to keep the speed up however as drifting washes off speed faster than real life drift cars.

anyway point being as there is no scoring for continous drift, there are no events for it, it isnt a drift competition mode game. Its driveclub not driftclub. Although right mow its driveLoner

SiRatul

I still couldn't join a club. The few times it actually connected I only got to the club browser once before it crashed. After the update it's still the same. It was pretty annoying to go through the whole tour without a single club car.

Other than that the game was quite fun so far. I love how the cars handle and the sense of speed. The environments look amazing most of the time but the aliasing on the cars is hideous. I still can't get over it after all those hours of playing.
Another thing I dislike is the penalty system. It's quite harsh sometimes and I don't get why I get points deducted if the AI decides to ram my car from behind. Generally the AI seems too aggressive on occasions and I feel like they are blind when it comes to the real player car.

I still couldn't join a club. The few times it actually connected I only got to the club browser once before it crashed. After the update it's still the same. It was pretty annoying to go through the whole tour without a single club car.

Other than that the game was quite fun so far. I love how the cars handle and the sense of speed. The environments look amazing most of the time but the aliasing on the cars is hideous. I still can't get over it after all those hours of playing.
Another thing I dislike is the penalty system. It's quite harsh sometimes and I don't get why I get points deducted if the AI decides to ram my car from behind. Generally the AI seems too aggressive on occasions and I feel like they are blind when it comes to the real player car.
That's why you've gotta go cockpit view :)

Perhaps Evolution Studios should give up on this whole, "making games" thing. They obviously just can't do it anymore.
If they had any class or dignity they would pull the game (and the insulting season pass) from the digital store and admit they don't know what they are doing.

Maybe they should start with an iOS or OUYA game and see how that goes....

I can't believe I bought this game, sight unseen, and fell for this shit.
Lesson learned.

Xater

That AI video is pretty good. I did not have any major AI issues during my playtime. If they crashed into me it mostly was my fault by doing something incredibly upredictive.

It looks like more people are pissed ever since the update went out. I can't even find any online matches. I really hope they fix this, because updates shouldn't make servers worse.

#InEvoWeTrust

Perhaps Evolution Studios should give up on this whole, "making games" thing. They obviously just can't do it anymore.
If they had any class or dignity they would pull the game (and the insulting season pass) from the digital store and admit they don't know what they are doing.

Lesson learned.
Well that was a tad harsh. The game is fantastic. The servers not so much.

Stike

Lesson learned.

Wow.

Loudninja

Yep... post patch, still can't get online
It is but folks (like me) still can't play online.

@Nilliz85 The patch is to help us resolve the issues, it won't fix things immediately as the major fixes have to be done server side.
https://twitter.com/Rushy33/status/521070353033211904

@Noble_Spark The concurrency issues haven't been fixed yet. This patch will help us fix those issues though.
https://twitter.com/Rushy33/status/521070543878258688
@PaPaWaisWais The server issues still haven't been fully addressed. The latest patch is there to help us resolve the problems.
https://twitter.com/Rushy33/status/521070911667986433

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom