• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT| Cloudy with a Chance of Jaw Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamboGT

Thought I should join in, had two runs so far...

MNIHV4v.jpg

Heroman

Banned
The question I am asking myself is why did Sony allow a game with no working online and several major advertised features out the door? Polyphony Digital was able to spend years and years getting their game right. Just seems odd.

When you make one of the best selling racing ip you can take as long as you want.

Jimrpg

I have a sealed copy sitting there looking at me... I'm so conflicted as to whether or not I should open it. Reading everyone's impression is not helping...

Is the game repetitive ? Do you get bored easily of the tracks ?

I play casually, so I'm sure I'll be fine. Double checking just to make sure :)

P.S: The last racing game I loved was PGR4. I feel old now...

You should open it if you like PGR4, it's not quite the same but it comes from more or less the same type/style of game and probably made with those fans in mind.

There's fame points which is similar and the weather system is leagues ahead of PGR4.

There's quite a lot of variation in every race because you can set whatever time of day you want and type of weather.

Online is still a crapshoot but it can only get better from here. Worst case scenario sell the game if you don't like it right?

I have a sealed copy sitting there looking at me... I'm so conflicted as to whether or not I should open it. Reading everyone's impression is not helping...

I really like the tracks, and I've only played the same ones a few times. You can change direction and tod/weather as well, so the same track can feel completely different depending on the conditions.

I'm in the same boat when it comes to PGR4, and this is similar to what I remember of that game.

I was just thinking earlier how awesome the courses are and how they managed not to feel repetitive. I guess your mileage may vary, but no - this game hasn't gotten boring at all yet.

Here's two screens of two tracks from the same country(india). They look and feel completely different during time of day/weather changes.

i8PQw2eKZyfjg.jpg

iTjXKFhd6XDNM.jpg

florin3k3

THERE IS AI RUBBER BANDING -- of some kind.

Did an experiment.

Drive like a complete grandma, and the first place guy (semi-pro AI) finishes a two lap race at 1:40 and last place guy finishes 1:52 (me at 2:33). Spread from first to last AI is 12 seconds,.

drive competitively, and the first place guy finishes at 1:30, and the last place guy finishes at 1:37 (me at 1:35), AI spread is 7 seconds and oh look the first place guy now has found a way to gain over 5 seconds a lap - standing start means actually more than that. I imagine if I drove out the front of the first place guy he'd "find" yet more ability.

Also note that despite the first place guys being fast and the last place guys being slow, they travel as a pack. In a real race the field spreads out until the back-markers are lapped. Here they are pulled more together even over many laps.

So the AI drivers are attracted to your car. They try harder when you're in front, and back off when you're behind. They are also attracted to each other.

I know *why* developers do it, because they want everyone to experience the cut and thrust of side-by-side racing in a pack of cars, no matter what your ability. If the AI cars drove to their maximum ability from great to good, they would be strung out, and you'd either be in front or behind but rarely mixing it up.

So not everyone that "barely" wins a single player challenge vs AI is the same ability or has the same lap time.

Yeah. Definitely. I waited a whole lap on a 2 lap race ...was admiring the view :)... and then when the pack passed me I started driving. I caught up to them very fast and then started passing them one by one with ease. Since I was a full lap behind, they were waiting for me to catch up. It was clearly visible as opposed to when you're in 1st and can't shake them off. I get the choice but would have preferred if they weren't so bunched together especially in a multiple lap race or a long stage

JamboGT

Hah, will have a go tomorrow, is 5am here....

I went 1.42 then 1.32 then 1.25 so more time should come, will be interesting how low it will go.

Antti

Hah, will have a go tomorrow, is 5am here....

I went 1.42 then 1.32 then 1.25 so more time should come, will be interesting how low it will go.

It's 7am here! :D

But yeah, these challenges will have to do for now since the online ones are down.

Spiegel13

Neo Member
Got 215/225 stars. Hyper cars are crazy but manageable, but that Lightweight Series with the Atom is absolutely ridiculous, holy shit. I can't complete a damn lap with that and can't enter a club to unlock the (apparently way better?) other car.

I like the game and I can see it being really fun for time trial challenges with friends, but the online issues and lack of some features are making it hard to recommend. =(

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I'm connected! Oh, I can't get the race events to show up. I'll make a club! Oh, it won't communicate with the server. :|

Boy, if there's one thing I really miss between playing this and Forza is that the X1 has rumble triggers (they help a lot when braking)

How is the difference in road feel between the two? People keep talking about the rumble on the road itself for Driveclub. Is it pretty sweet in Forza as well?

DirtyLarry

I do not have the time to read all the pages in this thread, so I am sure this has been addressed multiple times already, but I am perplexed why this is being called an arcade racer. The driving to me feels just like Forza or GT. Perhaps it is slightly more forgiving, but really not all that much. You easily spin out if you try to brake while taking a corner, same for coming out of a corner too fast. It all reacts like real driving.

Now I am using a wheel, so perhaps that is why, but especially once you get out of the rookie league, it really starts getting very realistic.

I admittedly am not a huge sim racer person myself. I play Forza & GT, but I never bother with tuning, etc.
Is that why people are saying it is an arcade racer? Because there is no tuning, etc?
To me that just means the mechanics are realistic but there is no tuning, not that it is an arcade racer.
However perhaps I am dead wrong here, so by all means please correct me and explain why this is more an arcade racer. I am willing to be educated.

I do not have the time to read all the pages in this thread, so I am sure this has been addressed multiple times already, but I am perplexed why this is being called an arcade racer. The driving to me feels just like Forza or GT. Perhaps it is slightly more forgiving, but really not all that much. You easily spin out if you try to brake while taking a corner, same for coming out of a corner too fast. It all reacts like real driving.

Now I am using a wheel, so perhaps that is why, but especially once you get out of the rookie league, it really starts getting very realistic.

I admittedly am not a huge sim racer person myself. I play Forza & GT, but I never bother with tuning, etc.
Is that why people are saying it is an arcade racer? Because there is no tuning, etc?
To me that just means the mechanics are realistic but there is no tuning, not that it is an arcade racer.
However perhaps I am dead wrong here, so by all means please correct me and explain why this is more an arcade racer. I am willing to be educated.

It's much more forgiving than a sim. The drifts and turns we make, while pushing the cars at the absolute limits will most likely end with the car spinning out or getting into a crash.

It feels real because of the fantastic tuning of the gameplay, but just don't try why you do in Driveclub in real life :D

VanWinkle

I think it depends on your racing background. I am almost exclusively an arcade racer guy, so this feels basically like sim to me. Then you have the sim guys and they find that it feels like an arcade racer to them.

Guess that's why they call it sim-cade.

I think it depends on your racing background. I am almost exclusively an arcade racer guy, so this feels basically like sim to me. Then you have the sim guys and they find that it feels like an arcade racer to them.

Guess that's why they call it sim-cade.
And then you have the hard-er core PC guys with a full cockpit/three-monitor setup who laugh at the very notion that this would be even considered anything other than an arcade racer.

nasanu

Banned

Without a replay its easy as. I did a 3:15.

In reality I have a 3:31.9xx uploading to youtube. I made one big mistake where I hit a wall, lost about a second. If you bounce off walls without braking in some sections I am sure 20s are possible. Oh, and I was using the alfa, I am sure there are faster cars.

Pena

Neo Member
I played some with my T500RS, I wasn't expecting much but the FF is pretty damn nice. Not too much dampening, you can feel the bumps, steering gets lighter when the front wheels lose grip or you drive over a crest and so on, all the basics.
The physics ain't that realistic to be honest, cars are super grippy and oversteer a lot but something makes the driving feel right and not (too) arcadey. And it sure is fun.
I'm using hood cam and the sense of speed is awesome. Usually that's not the case with more realistic racing games.
I really like the tracks, fast and pretty.
AI drivers are a bunch of assholes but I guess I am too and I'm more of a time trial guy anyways.
Servers seem to be offline so can't say anything about the online stuff but I'm not into that either. I just like to drive on my own :)

T300RS is the official wheel but the newest firmware for T500 adds T300 compatibility so PS4 thinks it's T300. PS button does not work but you can use DS4 for that.

So apparently some of you have joined my club (Bandicoots) which is awesome; i'm sorry I haven't been able to make a logo for it, or earn any points for it, or even determine that it exists. Doing any of those things would involve actually being able to connect to the Driveclub servers, which seems to still be impossible for me. So.. how are we doing? What level are we?

So yeah, my club is a spinning progress wheel of "Communicating with the sever. Please wait." Followed a few minutes by "There was a problem communicating with the Driveclub server. Please try again later."

I really, really want to like this game... but i'm thinking the community has likely been fatally wounded by this profoundly bungled launch. Can this really develop a robust online community after all of this nonsense, especially with so many other games coming right around the corner?

Antti

Without a replay its easy as. I did a 3:15.

In reality I have a 3:31.9xx uploading to youtube. I made one big mistake where I hit a wall, lost about a second. If you bounce off walls without braking in some sections I am sure 20s are possible. Oh, and I was using the alfa, I am sure there are faster cars.

Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJm7M3Ateuc

Lost a second in the tunnel right off the bat but that's about it.

Sorry if this was mentioned somewhere already. I know the T100 is compatible with the game and lacks share functionality, but are you able to actually pause the game from the wheel or does that need to be done via the DS4 as well?

nasanu

Banned
Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJm7M3Ateuc

Lost a second in the tunnel right off the bat but that's about it.

Wow, wasn't even a mistake free run. Going to have to try that Lotus.

Oh and no, you lost time in a great many places. Like banging the wall onto the bridge and running wide on the final turn, and running wide in many places in the middle sector. Good run though, I remember that car being a little tricky to handle.

Putty

Morning all. +1 for the amazing track layouts btw. Very natural and terrific fun.

Shame online is still borked, going to be SSOO good once everything is fixed. I'm really missing the leaderboards the most, and now I don't have ghost cars anymore when doing PTP tracks. Or maybe it's because I'm using different cars? Maybe ghosts are only activated if using the same car?

So apparently some of you have joined my club (Bandicoots) which is awesome; i'm sorry I haven't been able to make a logo for it, or earn any points for it, or even determine that it exists. Doing any of those things would involve actually being able to connect to the Driveclub servers, which seems to still be impossible for me. So.. how are we doing? What level are we?

So yeah, my club is a spinning progress wheel of "Communicating with the sever. Please wait." Followed a few minutes by "There was a problem communicating with the Driveclub server. Please try again later."

I really, really want to like this game... but i'm thinking the community has likely been fatally wounded by this profoundly bungled launch. Can this really develop a robust online community after all of this nonsense, especially with so many other games coming right around the corner?

I just got off about 15min ago and it said we were level 6. We definitely should be higher but the servers are still bonked but whatever hopefully it'll be fixed soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom