• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Round1 Arcade - Bloomingdale IL

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Searched on Bloomingdale and "round arcade" and didn't see anything. Did this just come out of the blue? Ban me for a month if old.

http://japc.kisekinohana.net/roundoneop/

Stratford Square Mall 152 Stratford Square Mall, Bloomingdale, Illinois 60108

Details:
Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/716196295126717/
Facebook Group for Bloomingdale, IL location: https://www.facebook.com/groups/round1chicago/

PARTIAL GAME LIST (NON TICKET)
-About 20~30 UFO catchers.
-Purikura Machine (3)
-Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune 3DX+ (2)
-Thrill Driver 3 (Twin) -Pump it up FIESTA 2 (TX)
-Pop’n Music FANTASIA
-beatmania IIDX 21 SPADA (will be Pendual next week)
-Gitadora OverDrive GuitarFreaks (Session)
-Gitadora OverDrive DrumMania (Session)
-Hatsune Miku Project DIVA Future Tone (2)
-Mario Kart Arcade DX (4) -Initial D 4th Stage (4) (Sounds like its getting upgraded to 8)
-Elevator Action Death Parade -Fast & Furious Super Bikes 2 (2)
-Transformers Arcade (DX)
-BATMAN Arcade (2)
-Super Street Fighter 4 (2) (not 100% on this)
-Tank! Tank! Tank! (Twin)
-Dark Escape 4D
-Mach Storm
-Infinity Blade FX
-Dead Heat Riders (2)
-Snocross (at least two)
-Big Buck HD
-Deadstorm Pirates DX

See more at: http://japc.kisekinohana.net/roundoneop/#sthash.gCKsPx5e.dpuf
I can't believe that there'll be a IIDX machine in IL once again. It's been approximately ten years.

Looks like there's a ton of other newer interesting games too.

RobbieNick

I have one near me in Puente Hills CA. One of the best arcades in the U.S. that still gets new arcade video games. Import games too.

I think all of Round 1's locations in the US up until now are CA only, so if it's expanding that'd be super rad. I got a chance to go to one when I was in Japan, and it was amazing. The traditional arcade cab selection was okay, as I recall it (lots of Gundam Extreme Vs, Melty Blood, I think some SoulCalibur 2), but there were tons of great peripheral, driving and rhythm game cabs, all on freeplay. Played lots of F-Zero AX, Taiko, jubeat and pop'n. On top of that, their sportsplex facilities were really neat too. Probably ended up being one of the highlights of my trip.

I hear from someone that's been to one of the CA locations that they don't have the games on freeplay there, but even without that it'd still be awesome.

Stratford was the mall I went to growing up. Went to shit for a while, but seems to be making a comeback.

I'll be making a personal appearance at this arcade when it opens. Sign up now for a meet & greet.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
It seems to have opened just a few days ago on the 16th.

I intend to make a visit soon.

hughesta

Banned
I live five minutes away, and I frequent Stratford Mall fairly often. Not super interested in the games there right now, aside from Operation Ghost. I'll check it out with my friends at some point though.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Oh FUCK. Beatmania? There was one at the Brunswick Zone in Naperville back in like... 2008. By the time I finally went there, though, it was gone :(

I'm going to have to hit this place up next time I'm in the area.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
When I said I intend to visit soon, that turned into later today. I return with pictures.

zzDHBXO.png

It's a pretty nice place overall. Somewhat large and with a good balance of floor space with the amount of content to be seen inside.

uXmaq2d.png

Beatmania IIDX 22: Pendual. Seeing the newest game of the series in front of me, in a US arcade in 2014, and not in California, was and still is a bit unbelievable to me. I simply had no idea that I could have this experience today. The machine was incredibly loud (and I believe has been since adjusted to be a bit softer by now) but playing it was still enjoyable. Everything is new and crisp and clean. Now I need to get an eamuse card, and play more often so that I can play as well on an AC machine as I do at home.

Oh, and on the subject of IIDX:
Beatmania? There was one at the Brunswick Zone in Naperville back in like... 2008. By the time I finally went there, though, it was gone :(
Yeah, that was an actual one week only location test run and there wasn't any plans for BZ to keep the machine. I thought it did well enough, but I've read some reports saying otherwise and other reports about how the discussions between Betson and Konami weren't smooth enough to get IIDX back into the US in that manner. Hopefully now that it is here again and with eamuse hooked up, it will show a play frequency that both R1 and Konami deem to be sufficient to help the game series itself remain alive.

H8KKR4z.png

The IIDX machine shares a wall with the Pop'n and Gitadora stuff. The Miku games are further to the left. There's also that Elevator Returns game further down which I really should make a point of trying the next time I return, as it at least had the interesting gimmick of physical elevator shutter doors built into the cabinet.

bXrvXla.png

Across from the Gitadora games is Guitar Hero Arcade. I was amused to see the machine there to begin with, and as I expected I didn't see a single person play it all day.

ORtGY9z.png

There were a lot of racing and bike games and they seemed to generally have a few players on each of them with fair frequency. More than a few of these games I had no idea about.

u9wqKDN.png

Against a wall furthest from the entrance were four of these huge deluxe photo booths. I think there was some sort of image editing interface on the machines, but I didn't take the time to investigate. Nobody was brave or interested enough to use these things.

n46t3eF.png

In fact, more people played Flappy Tickets than used those photo booths. Thank you, Dong; your presence in gaming will resonate forever.

iXKut4R.png

Here's one of those Mario Kart AC games that some people here are extremely fond of. I took a picture of it in hopes of you quoting it and posting in this thread. Does my ploy work? Let's find out.

jJvOdQD.png

There were some standard games to be found here as well. I forget what game it is on the machine without the marquee on top, the rest are Final Fight, Puzzle Fighter, Gradius, Garou MOTW, and Dodonpachi II (wat?). Behind me were a few Tekken cabs (TT2 I think). No CRT monitors, as to be expected, but I think it's better for these games to be here at all rather than whinge on the display.

Nice place, and at least for it being the opening weekend it seemed to have more people in it than could be seen wandering through the mall at any given point in the day. Let's hope it stays popular and alive.

Having spent many a fun, drunken night in Round1 in Japan, some of these machines look like direct transplants. I'd have to imagine a purikura booth would be pretty intimidating to your average American without prior exposure to one.

But they make you so damn pretty.

Cragvis

Hah, looks like Galaxy World off north ave has competition now...

that is if galaxy world is still running, havnt been there in like 20 years...

jacobeid

Banned
I'm not from Illinois but I'm glad to see arcades making a return. In Columbus, Oh we had a bar arcade open with free play which is amazing. They opened another in Cleveland and plan to expand into Cincinnati as well.

BFIB

I miss my old arcade. Smoke filled, 3 Street Fighter machines (World Warrior, Champion Edition and Super SSF2 Turbo) all lined up with quarters sitting on each one ready for a challenger.

I'm about 40 minutes away from here. Will be going next weekend when the wife is back from her business trip. Many thanks to OP for posting about this!

There are a few more locations Round1 are expanding to soon if not already; I recall a location in Texas but can't remember exactly where off the top of my head. I've heard from a few credible sources that they plan to expand aggressively in the US in the coming years since the LA area locations did really well and there aren't a lot of ways they can expand any more than they already have in Japan.

Hah, looks like Galaxy World off north ave has competition now...

that is if galaxy world is still running, havnt been there in like 20 years...
Unfortunately Galaxy World closed a couple of years ago. Used to go there fairly often when I was younger.

This Round1 place looks pretty cool but Galloping Ghost in Brookfield is still the GOAT. If you're in the area and have never been I cannot recommend it enough. $15 for unlimited play all day, and they're open until 2 am. Rows upon rows of classic machines.

I tried one of those Mario Kart arcade machines at the Mall Of America a year ago and didn't dig it at all. Would love to try F-Zero AX someday though

As awesome as this is, when are middle and southern Illinois going to get some arcade love? Chicago area has lots of options for arcade entertainment, meanwhile down here in Champaign even the one in the mall is below standard for a mall based fun center. Arcades as a social gathering need to come back, especially for the drinking aged folks. I hate bars, but I would probably spend more money than I should at a barcade.

Unfortunately Galaxy World closed a couple of years ago. Used to go there fairly often when I was younger.

This Round1 place looks pretty cool but Galloping Ghost in Brookfield is still the GOAT. If you're in the area and have never been I cannot recommend it enough. $15 for unlimited play all day, and they're open until 2 am. Rows upon rows of classic machines.

I tried one of those Mario Kart arcade machines at the Mall Of America a year ago and didn't dig it at all. Would love to try F-Zero AX someday though

They recently added F-Zero AX to the floor at Galloping Ghost. Can't wait for my next visit - I always wanted to play it too!

I have one near me in Puente Hills CA. One of the best arcades in the U.S. that still gets new arcade video games. Import games too.

Puente Hills is pretty far from me but I still make the trip occasionally. R1 is a really great arcade. They have a Dariusburst arcade machine, which is like the best game ever. Fun fact: the parking lot scenes from Back to the Future were filmed in the Puente Hills Mall parking lot. (On the opposite side of R1)

Einhander

Stratford was the mall I went to growing up. Went to shit for a while, but seems to be making a comeback.

I'll be making a personal appearance at this arcade when it opens. Sign up now for a meet & greet.

I used to go there with my family when I was a kid. I like the old mall building design. I visit the Springfield mall close to my house once in awhile.

El Odio

Banned
5 minutes away from my house, about an hour from my dorm. I'll probably check this place out when I'm on winter break or something. A friend of mine went there and said it was great.

Top Bottom