• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nobuo Uematsu wants to make a new 2D RPG with the original Final Fantasy VI team

According to Hachima Kikou (yeah, i know some japanese):

http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/7907469.html

植松伸夫氏「FF6開発メンバーを集めて、また2Dゲームを作りたい。既にスクエニには話を持ちかけてる」

Nobuo Uematsu was interviewed for a concert by Lapis Dream Orchestra and he talked about the "intention" for develop a new RPG, in full 2D, with the original Final Fantasy VI staff, including Sakaguchi.

He is "talking" with Square-Enix for the possibility. They are just trying, this is still not official.

1410230639896zkq0x.gif

This should have happened years ago really. It is a shame we can't get a 2D Final Fantasy in that vein on PSN and Live. They could even port it to iOS and Android as well, but this has always been a huge missed opportunity for Square.

ReaperXL7

Wasn't he working on that project Phoenix game that was kickstarted recently? Is that still on track?

I'd be down though as long as its not a mobile game.

Macstorm

I interviewed Uematsu at a Distant Worlds concert in 2011, and he mentioned a similar desire.

I have been working with Sakaguchi-san since I was in my twenties. We were very young and not afraid of anything, so we could do a lot of things. Now we're both in our fifties and both want to create something that a big title from us. Something like we did before with Final Fantasy.

*laughs* If Sakaguchi-san had all the copyrights of Final Fantasy, and we wanted to remake Final Fantasy I, and we were sure we could make the best one, then we would both sign on.

Khrno

I would be over such a game immediately.

Sakaguchi and Itou could co-direct, while Itou would also be in charge of the battle design. It would give him a nice break from his daily janitor duties.

Jashobeam

if you could get that team together again why not just do the FFVII remake, it will sell 100x better than what ever they plan on doing in 2d.

Uematsu makes music, not games lol.

But his intentions, I like them.

Just make it for something other then Mobile .... please god

random25

A "Final Fantasy" game with Uematsu, Sakaguchi and the rest of golden era FF team in it? That would be reliving a great dream if it happens.

Ludist210

I'd love to see another good RPG for current-gen systems (PS4/One/Wii U) to go alongside Pier Solar and the Great Architects.

Celegus

Pretty hard to see this not being mobile. Terra Battle is pretty decent at least, who knows what Mistwalker has lined up next.

ctothej

I literally squealed. If this happens... I don't think there will ever be a gaming announcement that could top this. For me at least.

TheTux

if you could get that team together again why not just do the FFVII remake, it will sell 100x better than what ever they plan on doing in 2d.

I doubt that. I don't even understand why people are still suggesting the VII remake, there are so many reason why it won't happen plus I'd honestly like to see those resources used on a new title.

Anyway it's nice to see Sakaguchi willing to come back to the horizontal screen again.

Top Bottom