• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard trademarks Eye of Azshara, could be next Hearthstone or WoW expac

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The subtitle is a bit too small scope for a WoW expansion pack and fits with the teasers they've been dropping for Hearthstone.

Hearthpwn said:
A trademark under Blizzard's name has been filed for Eye of Azshara in Benelux

If you aren't familiar with World of Warcraft, Azshara is a Zone which sits in North Eastern Kalimdor, right above Orgrimmar. In the Cataclysm expansion, the zone was redesigned and with it came a large island in the center of the zone which was inhabited by the Goblins. It was called Bilgewater Harbor. This island sitting in the middle of the bay in Azshara resembles an eye when you look at it on the map.

The card back for November, titled Goblin, was released in the most recent client patch. That, along with the Blueprints which community members received in the mail, gave us a pretty good feeling that the next expansion was going to be mechanical themed. With the Eye of Azshara trademark showing up though, we could potentially see more Goblin influence in the cards instead of just generic engineering. Not only Goblins though, the Naga, Horde, and Night Elves also inhabit the zone in World of Warcraft, so there could be plenty of those too.
Source: http://www.hearthpwn.com/news/669-trademark-for-eye-of-azshara-spotted-possible

The other obvious possibility is that this is the Naga expansion pack for WoW and they're referring to Queen Azshara and the Maelstrom instead of the goblin city in Azshara the region.

Joco

As someone who recently became hooked in this game, I welcome more expansions. Interested to see how much impact the new cards will have.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
As someone who recently became hooked in this game, I welcome more expansions. Interested to see how much impact the new cards will have.

Apparently there are over 100 of them, so presumably some of them will be rather game changing.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
is the first one even out? or officially announced even

Apparently there are over 100 of them, so presumably some of them will be rather game changing.

The fact that 30 shook up the game so significantly leads me to believe that 100 will do that and more. It would be very hard to go back to this game without Sludge Belcher, Loatheb, Spectral Spider, etc.

First traditional expansion pack, yes. Blizzard doesn't consider the 30 cards from Naxxramas Adventure mode to be an 'expansion'.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Well, technically Naxxramas is an "Adventure" instead of an expansion pack, but I felt a lot of people still consider it an expansion pack and thus used the "next" wording in the title.

Salamando

Still hoping this is the next WoW expansion instead. It would be criminal for Azshara to show up in Hearthstone before World of Warcraft.

Finaj

There are a couple of reasons as to why this probably isn't Hearthstone related.

1. The trademark is for a CD and Hearthstone is downloadable only.

2. Curse of Naxxramas was never trademarked, so why would this be?

3. The "Eye of Azshara" refers to the Maelstrom, and the next Hearthstone expansion is heavily speculated to be mechanically-themed (due to blueprints some Hearthstone players received).

This will be the first "expansion" with over 100 cards in a new different booster pack. Naxx was considered an adventure by them.

Really looking forward to this as well. The game certainly doesn't feel stale but that big of a mixup means a lot of new ideas and battles to look forward to.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
There are a couple of reasons as to why this probably isn't Hearthstone related.

1. The trademark is for a CD and Hearthstone is downloadable only.

2. Curse of Naxxramas was never trademarked, so why would this be?

3. The "Eye of Azshara" refers to the Maelstrom, and the next Hearthstone expansion is heavily speculated to be mechanically-themed (due to blueprints some Hearthstone players received).

Well, it could be the Naga expansion pack for WoW.

I'll add that possibility in the title/OP.

Holy crap that explaination of Azshara is horrible. I'll try and do the lore some justice. Azshara is the name of the Highborne Elven (quel'dorei) Queen who summoned Sargeras to Azeroth 10,000+ years before the events of Warcraft I. Using the Well of Eternity she summoned a crapload of the Burning Legion to Azeroth which at the time was one giant pangea-like continent named simply Kalimdor. Long story short the Night Elves (kaldorei) stopped her, destroyed the Well of Eternity, which exploded and in an event called The Sundering split the continent in two and sank the former Elven capitol city into the ocean and spawned a massive never ending storm called simply The Maelstrom. As she was sinking Azshara begged an ancient power (probably the Old Gods) to save her and her people, and they granted her wish, turning them all into Naga.

The zone Azshara is litered with the remnants of the old Elven society, and was where the old capital (Zin-Azshari) used to be. After the Sundering like I said, it sank but there are still some remnants. Eye of Azshara more than likely refers to the Maelstrom as someone pointed out. Eventually Queen Azshara needs to be dealt with, so more than likely after Warlords ties up loose ends with Garrosh something bad will happen in Azeroth that brings Azshara front and center.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Holy crap that explaination of Azshara is horrible. I'll try and do the lore some justice. Azshara is the name of the Highborne Elven (quel'dorei) Queen who summoned Sargeras to Azeroth 10,000+ years before the events of Warcraft I. Using the Well of Eternity she summoned a crapload of the Burning Legion to Azeroth which at the time was one giant pangea-like continent named simply Kalimdor. Long story short the Night Elves (kaldorei) stopped her, destroyed the Well of Eternity, which exploded and in an event called The Sundering split the continent in two and sank the former Elven capitol city into the ocean and spawned a massive never ending storm called simply The Maelstrom. As she was sinking Azshara begged an ancient power (probably the Old Gods) to save her and her people, and they granted her wish, turning them all into Naga.

The zone Azshara is litered with the remnants of the old Elven society, and was where the old capital (Zin-Azshari) used to be. After the Sundering like I said, it sank but there are still some remnants. Eye of Azshara more than likely refers to the Maelstrom as someone pointed out. Eventually Queen Azshara needs to be dealt with, so more than likely after Warlords ties up loose ends with Garrosh something bad will happen in Azeroth that brings Azshara front and center.

Lore nitpick - She was Kaldorei as well. Highborne was merely the arcane magic using upper caste of Kaldorei society. Quel'dorei specifically refers to High Elves. Aka the group of highborne kaldorei that borrowed from what was left the well of eternity and traveled east to the eastern kingdoms, transforming/evolving/whathave you into what would later be known as the High Elves (Quel'dorei) as time progressed due to their obsessive use of magic/the remnants of the well being used to create the Sunwell (as well as being cut off from the world tree)

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Azhara zone looks more like a horde logo than eye if you look it side ways.

Actually a deliberate change. It looked differently pre-cataclysm. The Goblins blasted it into it's current shape to prove their loyalty/devotion to the horde.

It's too early for any WoW XP news or anything. I don't play HS, so I hope is some other kind of Warcraft spinoff. I'd love to see a single player Warcraft RPG or action adventure.

All the rumours were pointing to a Goblin/Mechanical next expansion pack for Hearthstone.

... so maybe the expansion after that one?

If Blizzard has plans to release expansions for WoW much more frequently as they have stated, it would mean a reveal of the next expansion pack would be at Blizzcon. If they haven't managed that despite the suggestions they have many more staff it will be a Hearthstone expansion. I've a funny feeling the lack of a what's next for WoW in the schedule hints that it will be in the gap in the schedules which will include the next expansion pack, it's just a hunch but I think Eye of Azshara is either the next WoW patch or expansion pack, not hearthstone.

Nokterian

I welcome this because after MoP there expansions are getting better and better. Hopefully it will not stay in limbo and people playing on the same old content for months with no new stuff. That was lacking after the last raid Siege of Ogrimmar nothing was added for months and that should not happen in this day and age of any mmo.

If Blizzard has plans to release expansions for WoW much more frequently as they have stated, it would mean a reveal of the next expansion pack would be at Blizzcon. If they haven't managed that despite the suggestions they have many more staff it will be a Hearthstone expansion. I've a funny feeling the lack of a what's next for WoW in the schedule hints that it will be in the gap in the schedules which will include the next expansion pack, it's just a hunch but I think Eye of Azshara is either the next WoW patch or expansion pack, not hearthstone.

I don't think they'll announce the next expansion before WoD releases. WoD comes out a few days after Blizzcon. Also, they already said that the following expansion will follow the story of WoD, so I doubt it has anything to do with Azhara, the elf or the zone. I'm thinking WoD part 2 will deal with a second Azeroth invasion by either the Iron Horde or Earth 2 Killjaden.

HowZatOZ

Banned
There is a high chance this is the WoW expansion. Blizzard have been pretty adamant with our past few interviews that they are working towards yearly expansion releases. I know that is said a lot, but they recently went so far as saying WoW will be around in the 2020's and quite possibly have an engine remake.

We'll definitely know more this week that's for sure.

There is a high chance this is the WoW expansion. Blizzard have been pretty adamant with our past few interviews that they are working towards yearly expansion releases. I know that is said a lot, but they recently went so far as saying WoW will be around in the 2020's and quite possibly have an engine remake.

We'll definitely know more this week that's for sure.

Yeah the drop in subs due to the long gap in content must have truly worried them, it's imperative there are no more 14 month or so waits, it would be one wait too long for many players myself included. I think we will have only two tiers this expansion pack. One next this month and one in the middle of next year followed by the next expansion early in 2016, I just cannot believe they would increase the team so very much and not see results by then.

Thoraxes

Yeah the drop in subs due to the long gap in content must have truly worried them, it's imperative there are no more 14 month or so waits, it would be one wait too long for many players myself included. I think we will have only two tiers this expansion pack. One next this month and one in the middle of next year followed by the next expansion early in 2016, I just cannot believe they would increase the team so very much and not see results by then.

Hell, if scrapping Titan means that they could have decreased dev times, i'm all for it.

Would be really awesome to see a major content patch every 3 months (alternating a raid one patch, and content/dungeons the other one), with the final raid tier lasting for 3-4 months.

So like a 1-year cycle could look something like this, provided it actually happens this time:

3-month version

6.0.2 =November 2014 (WoD)
6.1 = February 2015 (Dungeon/World)
6.2 = May 2015 (Raid)
6.3 = August 2015 (Dungeon/World/Raid)
7.0 = November/December 2015 (Next xpac)

2-month version

6.0.2 =November 2014 (WoD)
6.1 = January 2015 (Dungeon/World)
6.2 = March 2015 (Raid)
6.3 = May 2015 (Dungeon/World)
6.4 = July 2014 (Raid)
7.0 = November/December 2015 (Next xpac)

Something like that would be really awesome. I have zero expectation they'll deliver on it, but seeing as they probably will just stick with WoW and avoid making another MMO, the resource rebalancing to have more people on more teams work faster seems realistic now.

Hearthstone: Eye of Azshara
100+ Card expansion

Announced: Blizzcon 2014
Release: Blizzcon 2015
Major Balancepatch, that makes the game playable again: Early 2016

RPGCrazied

God I wish it could be another WoW expansion, but since WoD is not even out yet, I don't see them announcing another one so soon. But this would be the perfect time to add playable Naga. This is probably hearthstone related.

Interfectum

Not while WoW is still going strong IMO

WoW will be going strong for years to come and I don't think that's not going to stop Warcraft 4 from coming out. WC4's delay is due to the overall apathy for RTS games in the market which they already got covered with SC2.

I'm guessing this trademark is Hearthstone related because the next WoW expansion will most likely be about the Burning Legion.

Edit: After reading up on Queen Azshara this could very well be the name of the Burning Legion expansion for WoW.

Adaren

There's no way that "Eye of Azshara" refers to the Goblin-controlled island at the center of the Azshara zone and not the mysterious all-powerful ancient artifact-hoarding sea witch who is the zone's namesake.

Remember "The Dark Below" from a few months ago? It was also a trademark in Blizzard's name that turned out to be a complete hoax.

Thoraxes

There's no way that "Eye of Azshara" refers to the Goblin-controlled island at the center of the Azshara zone and not the mysterious all-powerful ancient artifact-hoarding sea witch who is the zone's namesake.

Remember "The Dark Below" from a few months ago? It was also a trademark in Blizzard's name that turned out to be a complete hoax.

Remember Mists of Pandaria?

I was doing some data-mining to help MMOC confirm it before Blizzcon that year lol.

The things they usually trademark right before Blizzcon are typically names of products they'll announce at the show. Blizzard expansions are usually announced at Blizzcon, while the Dark Below trademark was filed before Gamescom. They don't usually do those major announcements anywhere else, except for the Blizzard Worldwide Invitational.

The Dark Below ended up being used by Actiblizz (Despite being trademarked by Blizzard) as the name for the first Destiny expansion. We all just didn't know about Destiny "expansion" plans back then.

glaurung

More likely the second Hearthstone expansion than anything else.

I also saw some leaked artwork for the Goblin stuff in some thread.

Magnus

The Dark Below was an Activision-blizzard trademark that turned out to be a Destiny expansion pack.

Destiny-Expansion-Pass_info-sheet-360x480.jpg

Karl Hawk

Banned
WoW will be going strong for years to come and I don't think that's not going to stop Warcraft 4 from coming out. WC4's delay is due to the overall apathy for RTS games in the market which they already got covered with SC2.

I'm guessing this trademark is Hearthstone related because the next WoW expansion will most likely be about the Burning Legion.

Edit: After reading up on Queen Azshara this could very well be the name of the Burning Legion expansion for WoW.

I'm rather curious, did Blizzard say about wanting to focus on the Burning Legion on the next expansion or so on? Seems to me that most people here think the next expansion will be about Burning Legion.

Though, considering what Wrathion talks about in his legendary questline, that shouldn't be surprising.

There's never going to be an Emerald Dream expansion is there?

There's a chance an Azshara expansion would touch briefly on the Emerald Dream (it's likely the Old God related to the Emerald Dream is also related to Azshara), but most of the stuff with that was tied up in some book so there's no real need

Zafir

There's never going to be an Emerald Dream expansion is there?

Man, I remember back when I played in classic I was always hyped about a potential one. What with those hidden files you could access with a bit of model changing.

Hell there was even a Azshara BG in the files too that you could also get access to.

It's kind of a shame I don't think any of those hidden files were used. There was Karazhan in the original files, but it looked way different to what it ended up looking like in TBC.

ConceptX

It's too early for any WoW XP news or anything. I don't play HS, so I hope is some other kind of Warcraft spinoff. I'd love to see a single player Warcraft RPG or action adventure.

Not really, they want to go for annual expacs now, so it would indeed be revealed at Blizzcon regardless of WoD, to be released next November/Winter 2015.

Personally I don't think they will manage yearly xpacs, not without screwing content over. I wouldn't pay the price of WoD each year either for less content at a higher price than earlier xpacs.

VinFTW

Well, here's my two cents:

With the announcement that Titan is cancelled and the team mostly moving over to the WoW team as well as Blizzard stating multiple times they really want to increase the rate of pumping out more expansions:

I can totally see this being a WoW expansion announced next Blizzcon.

I don't think they would handle a character in Hearthstone before they would in WoW.

Besides, Azshara is like, big baddy #2.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, here's my two cents:

With the announcement that Titan is cancelled and the team mostly moving over to the WoW team as well as Blizzard stating multiple times they really want to increase the rate of pumping out more expansions:

I can totally see this being a WoW expansion announced next Blizzcon.

I don't think they would handle a character in Hearthstone before they would in WoW.

Besides, Azshara is like, big baddy #2.
Is Gul'dan in WoW yet or only with Draenor?

I ask as he's been a class in Hearthstone since launch.

VinFTW

Gul'dan has been mentioned in WoW before I believe, I mean, I think?

Good question.

I just don't think they would focus on one of the most powerful villains they have without exploring it first in WoW.

But I guess Hearthstone's a money making train, so who knows.

Skab

Gul'dan was in both Warcraft 2 and 3 prior to showing up in Hearthstone, and now WoW with WoD.

Azshara showed up very briefly, using a shared model from another unit, in the Cataclysm expansion. And other than that she was only just mentioned by name in WoW.

I still don't think this is WoW related though, but who knows.

Haunted

Definitely hoping for new Hearthstone cards.

It's not that the meta's become stale, since there's a bit of rock-paper-scissors and a cyclical nature to the meta, but in the last couple months, there have been few "new" decks - if the 100 card rumour is true, expanding the card pool by 20+% will greatly increase variety.

As an example: Artosis and Frodan got super excited over a new Rogue variant(!) that was played in yesterday's Blizzcon tourney... and 27 of its 30 cards are literally the same exact deck every other Miracle Rogue is playing, while there were 3 new ones in it. There are three variants of Rogues in tournament play, and 27 of their cards are identical. (Faceless Manipulator + 2x Southsea Deckhand OR Leeroy Jenkins + 2x Shadowstep OR Malygos + 2x Sinister Strike).

Other classes have a bit more variety, but yeah, a new injection of cards would be very welcome. :D

This comports with my theory that they will announce a new expansions pack for WoW at Blizzcon. The signs have been there for a long time:

1. Blizzard keeps saying that there will only be 2 raid tiers with WoD. No way they would spread that out over 2 years.
  2. Blizzard has doubled in size, training the new troops is what caused delays in WoD development. With double the team, they can afford to work on current content and future content at the same time.
  3. If they aren't doing 2 raid tiers of content spread over 2 years, the ONLY place to announce a new expansion pack before next blizzcon is this blizzcon.

Don't expect anything hands-on. Expect a title, maybe a video, and definitely a set of preliminary features to keep everyone excited for WoW and keep them playing through WoD.

Best case scenario, I think is a 1.5 year dev cycle. They can announce the game at Blizzcon 2014, then show it off at Blizzcon 2015 whilst announcing the next expansion pack after that. Announcing an expansion and showing one off are completely different things.

November 2014 - Warlords of Draenor
Spring 2016 - Expansion #6
Fall 2017 - Expansion #7
Spring 2019 - Expansion #8
Fall 2020 - Expansion #9

Thoraxes

Gul'dan is dead in WoW. Draenor has the alternate dimension mumbo jumbo which is why he's in that.

His ghost showed up in a capacity in Burning Crusade. Nobody really said what happened to his skull (powerful artifact) after Illidan was slain though.

Top Bottom