• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#GamerGate thread 2: it's about feminism in games journalism

Status
Not open for further replies.

MYeager

Think seriously about how plausible the idea that multiple government agencies are collectiely engaging in a serious investigation of indie game devs with no money and pop culture websites that were maybe mean one time is.

And that they shared details of an ongoing investigation with someone who immediately shared it on social media.

Sounds legit.

L Thammy

I am literally the worst when it comes to digging stuff up. The allegations looked to be false but his reputation ruined. I just don't see why people pull the internet into this kind of drama. It's awful. Handle this in private with people who know what's going on.

Is there evidence that the allegations are false? They come from multiple women, and it seems like the details became known before they were public. As for drawing the Internet into it, I'm not sure what you mean by that. He posted that on Facebook himself, and the women were sharing their experience to warn others who he might harm.

Not particularly, no, but this case also has nothing to do with Gamergate and there's probably an OT thread about it.

Right, sorry. Surprised this came up at all.

mo60

I am literally the worst when it comes to digging stuff up. The allegations looked to be false but his reputation ruined. I just don't see why people pull the internet into this kind of drama. It's awful. Handle this in private with people who know what's going on.

Wha...what is wrong with this world. I need to go back to just talking about videogames. o___e

He pretty much forced people's hands in this case with that facebook post. He was scared that people would control the narrative(probably) so he wrote that facebook post before the women involved told there story.

JackDT

So for anyone interested in that breakdown of TotalBiscuit's google post I've got it all up and ready to go on Medium.

Or at least the working draft? I dunno how this site works.

I was gonna send it to twitter people and maybe chuck it on GamerGhazi but I'd appreciate any comments or feedback before I do so.

I tried to get sourced stuff for direct claims but couldn't get much referring to more general happenings so if anyone has any kind of source on hand for whatever reason that fits a hole in there that'd be cool too.

This really honestly is the single most complete and reasonable Pro-GG account of the situation I've ever seen and considering I had well over twice the original post's length in corrections by the end that really should tell you something.

I've said it before but GamerGate's bullshit is really hard to debunk all at once, because nobody ever gives it to you all at once. As soon as you think you have a good answer for everything people remind you that they thought (still think?) that Phil Fish is going to be arrested for racketeering.

So in that way TB's post isn't a complete picture. But it does seem to contain most if not all of the sanest claims to legitimacy, while avoiding the obvious nuttery, whose proponents will never be convinced anyway.

So yeah. Comments, feedback, corrections. Anything. I'll probably finalise it and send it out tonight while I'm bored at work.

I PM'd you some feedback rather than fill the thread.

Nanashrew

Banned
I wonder how long the Ralph Retort is going to keep calling out people on falsified information. There's a whole bunch of talk on Nick Denton that he said some things and later his account was deleted but it's all fake. The real Nick Denton's Facebook is still around and it even has a verified check on it.

https://www.facebook.com/nicknotned?fref=ts

Orayn

Baldwin deleted his part of the exchange, this screencap is now a treasure and a relic.

f710d25659.png

Orayn

You're not a feminist unless you swear to protect women? Isn't that benevolent sexism? :p

That was the essence of Baldwin's tweets yeah. Kept asking David "WHAT HAVE YOU SACRIFICED FOR WOMEN, KIDDO?" and stuff like that. That's what makes a REAL feminist, apparently.

Lemondish

I don't know if that's a complete description but I'd call it a correct one. You're talking about an accusation of hypocrisy. That was such a major theme of The Zoe Post itself, it wasn't just that she was a bad person but also that she was getting public accolade for speaking against the types of behaviors she herself was inflicting on others. Get into the guts of most defenses against criticism of gg and you will find deflection into accusations of hypocrisy. Hypocrisy is one of the biggest and most forbidden internet sins, which has been a factor in all of this crap.

Which is actually kind of funny given this new Operation Bender plan. They wish to pretend to self-identify as female in order to troll a group they claim pretends to self-identify as champions of social justice. How is that not hypocrisy is the highest magnitude?

Or is hypocrisy okay if it's for the lulz?

Lemondish

Hmm...This is like a gender-swap of the Quinnspiracy.

Defamed by a jilted ex-girlfriend. Gamergate is both spreading his defamation and also kind of supporting him? I can't tell, but he seems to be a feminist figure.

The take-away for me seems to be that ex's are completely insane and need to stay away from social media after break-ups. :S

As a Canadian, I can safely say this won't go well for them. Jian's PR firms dropped him after the 8th or 9th woman he abused spoke up about it. Nothing they've shared fits the BDSM safety net he's erected.

In any case, the discourse in Canada, I feel, has been mostly of the sane kind. Everyone is treading lightly in other to actively address the issue of women in these relationships feeling as if speaking up would cause more problems than not, thus leaving them to wallow in abject powerlessness. That's not something I think Canadians want to condone so the discussion has sort of tapered off a bit. Knee jerk reactions were normal at first, but sanity has taken hold and everything appears to be taking a more serious, understanding tone.

Coincidentally, Jian actually did a segment on his CBC Radio show The Q about GamerGate. I don't remember it being particularly flattering for them.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Let's play a game. Can you guess which message was loved by GG and which one wos loathed? You only get one guess though, so think hard about it
B1oVacbCMAAsmij.png

(via Twitter)

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
Maybe he's just trying to stay relevant?

"Trying to stay relevant" is basically what the whole thing is about for all gaters. Still hilarious that people who previously only derided games have now become GG heroes. I wonder if any of them ever think "wow, I can't believe I'm getting away with this?"

Ok. So. This happened!
J636zQW.jpg

And then this.
mMmj6pR.jpg

And finally someone thought it over for a minute and thought this was a bad idea. Sort of.
OajrEow.jpg

There's no actual way this could be taking place in anything close to something vaguely resembling reality. Thus I can only conclude I'm in a dream. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go drive off a cliff so I can wake up from this and realize it never actually existed.

JNA

Banned
I found this pic on Reddit about TB discussing something about Shadow of Morder.

bZguEGR.png

Can somebody give me the backstory behind this? I did hear some sketchy things about reviews for that game but not much else.

I found this pic on Reddit about TB discussing something about Shadow of Morder.

bZguEGR.png

Can somebody give me the backstory behind this? I did hear some sketchy things about reviews for that game but not much else.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=903632

Here's the gaf thread on it.

GG barely picked the scandal up & TB was still in his dubious "neutral" stance back then.

In fact, that pakman comment is the first time I've ever seen him actively descsribe himself as pro-GG. (I assume it was worth actually declaring himself pro-GG rather than neutral if it allowed him to call Arthur a liar.)

Myggen

Was Shadow of Mordor an issue of "journalistic ethics" when it was only something that affected Youtubers? It's well know that Youtubers get offered a lot of shady shit from publishers, but I thought most Youtubers weren't considered "journalists" by TB? But maybe this is another case of TB changing definitions to suit his agenda.

JNA

Banned
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=903632

Here's the gaf thread on it.

GG barely picked the scandal up & TB was still in his dubious "neutral" stance back then.

In fact, that pakman comment is the first time I've ever seen him actively descsribe himself as pro-GG. (I assume it was worth actually declaring himself pro-GG rather than neutral if it allowed him to call Arthur a liar.)

Interesting. I'm surprised that thread is only 8 pages long. For some reason we get threads about how a game is not 1080p go 60+ pages long at least yet something potentially troubling gets much less coverage/discussion from people even in forums like this.

And as you said, even from pro GG people. It kinda makes me question what exactly is GG really fighting for exactly? I admit I have not been really following this whole event, but I am also cautiously curious about it (if that makes any sense at all).

Darklord

Banned

bZguEGR.png

Yeah...except the guy plays video games and reads the latest news he scooped off kotaku's headlines. He's not even a games writer let alone a journalist. So he was given a game for free without signing a contract. MY GOD THE ROCK HARD ETHICS!

Myggen

Interesting. I'm surprised that thread is only 8 pages long. For some reason we get threads about how a game is not 1080p go 60+ pages long at least yet something potentially troubling gets much less coverage/discussion from people even in forums like this.

I guess it's because no one is surprised. Youtubers get offered money from various publishers to make favourable videos of their games all the time (both Nerdcubed and TB has been very open about that), and Youtubers like Yogscast have agreed to do videos that are basically ads for games for a cut of the profit (Yogsdiscovery) etc. So something like that surprises no one, and that's probably the reason why it's not discussed that much.

If we're talking about ethics, Youtube is the really scary place for that stuff. Most Youtubers (all Youtubers?) do not have a separation between the business side and the "editorial" side of their channel, which can easily lead to some pretty shady decisions.

Fantastapotamus

Was Shadow of Mordor an issue of "journalistic ethics" when it was only something that affected Youtubers? It's well know that Youtubers get offered a lot of shady shit from publishers, but I thought most Youtubers weren't considered "journalists" by TB? But maybe this is another case of TB changing definitions to suit his agenda.

I really feel like this whole "I'm not a journalist tho" doesn't work anymore at some point. Same with his "I don't review games" shtick.
What even is a journalist anymore? I mean the definition of journalist is "sombody who works with collecting, writing and distributing news and other current information." according to Wikipedia.
I just hate the "Journalists need to be objective and neutral, but Youtubers can say whatever they want" line of thinking. Many people trust Youtubers more then "journalists" so to me this just feels like a cheap way out.

I really feel like this whole "I'm not a journalist tho" doesn't work anymore at some point. Same with his "I don't review games" shtick.
What even is a journalist anymore? I mean the definition of journalist is "sombody who works with collecting, writing and distributing news and other current information." according to Wikipedia.
I just hate the "Journalists need to be objective and neutral, but Youtubers can say whatever they want" line of thinking. Many people trust Youtubers more then "journalists" so to me this just feels like a cheap way out.

I have to defend TB here but his videos are not reviews, they are early impressions, just like Giant Bomb's Quick Looks, which Giant Bomb has been doing before TB (and TB said this is where he got his inspiration from), and they don't call them reviews either, because they aren't. They're not reviewing the game in its entirety, it's a piece based on first impressions when playing the game for the first time, since that's also one of the most important aspects since games should also captivate you early on instead of "it gets better later" or whatever.

Plus, he does some pretty good coverage on performance as well. His videos are not reviews, just like Giant Bomb's Quick Look's are reviews either. They're the same format essentially. TB has been saying they're not reviews for years already, and he's right in that sense, they're not reviews in the traditional sense to what other reviews are today, they're first impressions. He doesn't even delve into the rest of the game nor finish it.

Here are GB's Quick Looks, TB's first impressions/videos are similar, they fundamentally don't contain the same type of content a review does in text or video form: http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-looks/

bZguEGR.png

So because he (a pro-GG person) cared about the Shadow of Mordor thing, saying GamerGate didn't care about the issue is wrong? But I thought you can't judge the entire movement based on a few individuals?

lifa-cobex

Relax peeps it's just a vid. Some people might wanna watch it, that's all.
Not trying to rally pitchforks and flaming torches.

Fantastapotamus

I have to defend TB here but his videos are not reviews, they are early impressions, just like Giant Bomb's Quick Looks, which Giant Bomb has been doing before TB (and TB said this is where he got his inspiration from), and they don't call them reviews either, because they aren't. They're not reviewing the game in its entirety, it's a piece based on first impressions when playing the game for the first time, since that's also one of the most important aspects since games should also captivate you early on instead of "it gets better later" or whatever.

Plus, he does some pretty good coverage on performance as well. His videos are not reviews, just like Giant Bomb's Quick Look's are reviews either. They're the same format essentially. TB has been saying they're not reviews for years already, and he's right in that sense, they're not reviews in the traditional sense to what other reviews are today, they're first impressions. He doesn't even delve into the rest of the game nor finish it.

Here are GB's Quick Looks, TB's first impressions/videos are similar, they fundamentally don't contain the same type of content a review does in text or video form: http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-looks/

I know Giantbomb and I know QLs. Jeff said a number of times, that their data shows that QuickLooks are far more helpfull for their viewers then their reviews ever were.

No, they are not reviews. But that doesn't mean he gets to dodge all responsibility. That's what I meant. People watch his videos and then decide wether or not to get a game, just like they do with reviews.

So because he (a pro-GG person) cared about the Shadow of Mordor thing, saying GamerGate didn't care about the issue is wrong? But I thought you can't judge the entire movement based on a few individuals?

Pscht

Giant Bomb have no problems defining themselves as games media and accepting the responsibilities that come with that. TB constantly tries to define himself as not being a part of the games media and 'just a guy on YT' which has allowed him in the past to be evasive as to what was paid content and what is not. He has stopped that behaviour but he continues to lambast the press for not doing the research on GG while continuing to repeat falsehoods disproved a long time ago (e.g. the Zoepost never actually claimed that DQ 'review' was a sexual favour). Simple fact is the media did the research he never did and found nothing there, he went hard on ZQ over a DMCA that was never shown to be hers against a vile MundaneMatt video filled with lies. Ever since he has been doubling and tripling down going on streams with assholes like SoA, KoP, IA and laughing at 'SJWs'. He is a two faced double dealer in other words who thinks himself above it all while being the very definition of the problem of YT who think themselves better than the media and thus not bound by it's ethics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom