• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

TheXbox

I Thought that outside of the technical issues it is a very good AC according to impressions around here, why they would tear it apart than?
Especially when critics usually care less about technical issues than people around here on GAF.

I think it's gonna review great.
Sounds like it's a great game bogged down by a swamp of performance-related shit. I think most outlets will gloss over the technical issues, but a few will take this game to task. (Sounds like Sterling and Klepeck are already pissed) It would almost be better if the game had actually sucked, but as it is Unity appears to be a victim of Ubisoft's piss poor management and deadlines.

Lakitu

st5fu
Just 2 in the first 4 sequences. That's as far as I've played. Sorry to confuse. There's only ten missions within the first 4 sequences, and quite a few of them short. The assassination missions are probably the meatiest ones. Don't be too disappointed.

Ah, I understand. Thanks!

Everyone else notice the lack on a middle jog speed in ACU? In like EVERY previous game if you went halfway on the trigger the character would go to a medium jog speed. This was great for navigating around crowd, down narrow alleys and especially on rooftops if you didn't want to accidentally jump of climb over something. Seems to only switch to an automatic jog speed indoors. Bummer. Now it's just walking, a little more quick sneak/couch and then full out sprint.

Or am I missing something?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Signing the review embargo than bitching about it just makes reviewers look worse. If you don't like the conditions, don't sign it. They could have avoided this, got the game at GameStop at 12am EST (so 9pm PST) and had rolling coverage all day long as they played through the game and gave Ubi the finger in doing so.

Stop bitching about stuff you sign.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
The nice thing is that this game isn't out until the 14th in the UK. So if it's rubbish we have three days notice not to buy it.

That said, I'll still be upset if they've finally got around to releasing a French Revolution AC game and it's a turd.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
About two hours into the Xbox version. Game seems pretty good to me. I've seen a lot of NPC glitching through the ground though. One peasant was stuck in the fireplace. I just pretend Abstergo's software is in beta.

About two hours into the Xbox version. Game seems pretty good to me. I've seen a lot of NPC glitching through the ground though. One peasant was stuck in the fireplace. I just pretend Abstergo's software is in beta.

Yeah, In Paris I have seen more than a couple running an clipping through entire buildings.

VanWinkle

Just started the game about 20 minutes ago. Man, the visuals are really excellent. It's just a shame you can tell the framerate is pretty terrible even right from the beginning. It's worse in cutscenes than gameplay, weirdly enough, even though they seem to be realtime cutscenes.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Every Ubisoft thread this year, especially when it's talking about resolution-gate/downgrade/glitches/PR-BS is for the archives.

huYDJC2.jpg

U8zh6Pp.jpg

c967tKu.jpg

SU6Jj9r.jpg

FzFdvYt.jpg

You turned off the mini-map and you're upset because you don't know where to go.

Ok

Firstly, even if I had turned off the mini-map, I still have the game's normal map to guide me. However, my post implied I turned it back on and I still had trouble finding stuff. 'Tried' is past tense, after all. I agree that my post may have been formatted a bit oddly, so that's on me.

Secondly, there's many faults with this game and I'm not going to be quiet about those. However, in thise case I was not upset, not complaining, I was just asking a question.

But hey, thanks for answering.

So far the game has been pretty buggy for me. I don't know how many times i've seen npcs sink into the ground and disappear. A lot of the animations glitch out too, especially when Arno tries to go through windows. Don't even get me started on the pop in :(

All I asked for was a steady framerate. That's it. That's all. That's all I asked of these new consoles. I knew the graphics would get better. I knew they'd be more cinematic. I knew the worlds would get bigger, better.

But a steady framerate is all I needed. I don't 1080P0FPS to be happy. Just a rocksolid 30 is enough for me to be happy.

Turkoop

Banned
It makes me happy when ubisoft will critzied again from the media
They should to start develop games, and not talking bullshit, faking gameplays etc.

El-Suave

Why does Ubisoft have a later release date in Europe when they're so keen on keeping reviewers quiet? It's probably logistics, but I still don't get how Ubisoft don't see how futile the embargo is. That's the region where AC is most popular I'd think and that's where its success or failure will be decided. There's still enough time to cancel an order for Europeans. The embargo is a scumbag move, but I think reviewers overestimate their importance a bit here.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Man, I totally want to play with you guys as well. I just don't know when I'll get the time to really dive in until the weekend, and I'll probably be going through the story mode first.

Best Friends Club Unite!!!! 4 player coop heists. It's gonna be amazing.

tbm24

I have to say, visually I'm enjoying this game quite a bit. Frame dips so far are noticeable but not something that would stop me from playing. I'm enjoying Arno as a character.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Theres definitly a lot of crowd poping bugs or npcs not knowing where to go. But other than the mission inside Notte Dame I haven't seen any bad fps (at least nothing troubling). Played on xbox.

Graphics look great, love the contrast going from dark interiors or alleys/underpasses to brightly lit areas. The lighting is really good.

Rapid descent is also such a game changer for navigation, it's really easy to just go down from anywhere, but I did die when going down like that from notre damme when Arno jumped from too high. But once you start to use rapid descent while freerunning mixed with how quickly you can climb, I can't imagine playing the previous ACs again, it's much faster now.

Still, the enivronments are quite cluttered so sometimes it gets in the way of navigation.

Fighting is better in the sense that guards don't wait anymore, you get attacked from all sides and the counter-kill is gone, now the timing is to parry. I got one-shot killed a few times, I'm guessing it happens when low on health or against specific enemy types? Not sure yet how it works. Reminded me of Dark Souls:p

But I still wish you would fight assassins like
the first mission in medieval Paris
, even if that was all scripted.

Customization is awesome. All the pieces fit together nicely, no clipping. I keep thinking I won't like this or that piece but then you mix them up and it works. Give me this 1000x over the ugly unlockable outfits of previous ACs. I hope this remains part of future sequels, should have been there since a long time ago.

Gaz_RB

Arno is awesome. He's basically French Ezio though. Luckily the relationship between him and Elise is great. We need more love stories in video games!

Besides all of the framerate and performance issues, is it just me or is it rediculous that my ~2 year old gpu (GTX 670) is below the minimum specs? Or is this just an indicator of how poorly optimized the game is?

Genio88

Oh my goodness. That is horror. Not even Silent Hill could produce such horror. Wow. This thing needs a name. This is amazing. One can laugh or cry, probably both in terror stricken hysteria. Good stuff. How it stares at that man, and the man has no idea his soul's desecration is at hand.

Indeed, i think if that happened suddenly while i'm playing it on my sony HMZ-T1, that would kill me, especially cause you don't expect that to happen at all

No, it was not fake. If it was fake there would've been a complete stable framerate, no glitches or hitches, and everything would've gone perfectly. That did not happen at all.

I don't remember those glitches and the framerate was over 30 which can't be said for the console versions now. Remember, game was demo'd at the MS conference.

Also if there were no pop-in issues back then, why are they in the PC build now?

Top Bottom