• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs GTAV on XONE - performance analysis

geordiemp

bAD1AC0.gif

OMG give this man a medal, I am choking

manzo

Looking at the foliage, it looks like it's generated on the fly via SpeedTree? Could the thickness/positioning be generated randomly? So some patches look more dense on PS4 and some different positions are more dense on Xbone?

RowdyReverb

First page is about Xbox One performance on GTA V. Last page is a bunch of comparison photos and gifs of grass on PS4 and even memes about it. What happened?

Surfheart

Playing more to tonight and it seems the frame rate on ps4 sucks more often than not driving around the city :(

Edit: seems like it's some sort of asset loading issue because if I stop the car in the area where the frame rate is tanking and wait a bit I can drive thru the same section with a perfect frame rate...

Dunno what's going on, I installed a 3rd party 1TB drive but it's faster than the factory drive.

goonergaz

Looking at the foliage, it looks like it's generated on the fly via SpeedTree? Could the thickness/positioning be generated randomly? So some patches look more dense on PS4 and some different positions are more dense on Xbone?

one example would be nice...don't think we'll be seeing one tho

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Doubt this will help as I think the problem in those dense areas will be the number of physics/AI updates and draw calls the CPU has to handle.

This is something you can determine only with a profiler, but even in those cases you will need to stream data in and out of memory for the environment and the NPC's populating the area which will tax the system. Is it enough to offset the frame rate drops? That I do not know.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Is it just me or do the PS4 screens look like somewhat blurred compared to the XB1 screens? Looks like they lost some sharpness and also some saturation.

I noticed this on PS3/360 comparisons too. On pretty much every game. As if the final render gets a slightly, but still noticable blur...

It's the trademark Xbox family gamma error. You can always mess up the gamma on the HDMI input you're using for PS4 if you want that Xbox look.

Captures come from 2 different users so maybe different equipment making screenshots, different compression etc...

Right, that could be the case.
Not that it really matters to me.. PS4 is my only option right now. Though yesterday i had a dream that i was buying a XboxOne :p. I guess i'll buy one somewhere next year.

From what i've seen, the game has a LOT of shimmering in general.

So you clearly missed this:

7LRrjB3.gif

Created by people in this very thread.

One year and a half ago I was called a fool for predicting a difference close to that of PS3 to 360 between XOne and PS4. GAF was claiming something like PS2 to Xbox.

Some day I should take a couple of hours to recap all what was said those days, just for fun.

geordiemp

Playing more to tonight and it seems the frame rate on ps4 sucks more often than not driving around the city :(

Edit: seems like it's some sort of asset loading issue because if I stop the car in the area where the frame rate is tanking and wait a bit I can drive thru the same section with a perfect frame rate...

Dunno what's going on, I installed a 3rd party 1TB drive but it's faster than the factory drive.

That's why I trust DF and not people on message boards.

It looks a solid 30 FPS according to DF, and I believe them..

The odd loading semi pause is something totally different

SgtCobra

Still waiting on that DF comparison, I'm still not sure on which console version I should get. I keep hearing reports from PS4 players that the framerate sucks when driving and that can be a mayor turn off.

goonergaz

Still waiting on that DF comparison, I'm still not sure on which console version I should get. I keep hearing reports from PS4 players that the framerate sucks when driving and that can be a mayor turn off.

So you're waiting for the DF comparison even tho they themselves stated there was nothing wrong with the framerate?

I do think it sounds like any issues being caused are odd little hiccups, maybe early (whilst still loading assets) or something else. But they specifically said the PS4 is even more solid than the XBO.

Mastperf

One year and a half ago I was called a fool for predicting a difference close to that of PS3 to 360 between XOne and PS4. GAF was claiming something like PS2 to Xbox.

Some day I should take a couple of hours to recap all what was said those days, just for fun.
Using a last-gen remaster as proof of system performance is just as ridiculous as using Unity to prove a point. The 900p/1080p difference we usually see between multi-plats is bigger than the difference between 360/PS3. There's nothing about GTA 5 that signifies a turning point to this trend.
Show your proof. Since you claim "GAF" was claiming this you shouldn't have trouble finding posts that show everyone on here believed this.

Mahonay

Banned

ReBurn

Gold Member
more like - PS4, dat phonecalls through the DS4 speaker!

That gimmick was the first to wear off for me.

But I love the touchpad features. I just wish they would add a touchpad gesture to push all of that extra foliage out of the way when I'm walking through the middle of nowhere. Definitely a missed opportunity.

Hurley

I noticed the same thing.

myca77

That's why I trust DF and not people on message boards.

It looks a solid 30 FPS according to DF, and I believe them..

The odd loading semi pause is something totally different

To be honest I've noticed, in my limited experience, a little judder and/or dropped frames whilst driving around in the day time through downtown when there is a fair amount of traffic. Nothing as erroneous as the slow down I sometimes saw in RDR on the PS3, just the slightest hiccup every now and then.

The game also shimmers somewhat, and has (as others have mentioned) a rather poor AF and AA solution. But to be fair I played most of the previous gen games pretty much maxed out on the PC, and I'm playing this on a 92" projector screen so I'm likely to notice it.

I also noticed a bit of pop in whilst jet ski-ing near the airport, fences were magically appearing out of thin air, but I haven't really noticed any pop in anywhere else as I was too busy enjoying the game.

Edit: PS4 version

But it clearly is that barren. Why are you denying what is clearly visible? From the side-view shot, you can see that it's completely barren for a few feet behind the player, but you can't see behind the player in the shot you just quoted, only in front...so how do you know it's not barren behind him, just like it is in the side-view shot?

OMG. This thread is gold. I'm going to wait until it all ends and then collect the quotes. I'm sure it will read better than a Monty Python sketch.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

Well they were right, and you were wrong...

Macaco84

more like - PS4, dat phonecalls through the DS4 speaker!

Yep I get something similar. I was driving around the city after booting GTA V up on my PS4 and it was all fine. No drops at all. I then took a plane and flew around a bit around the countryside and then came back and it was a mess - like it had to load in all the city again. And this caused the drops.

I then closed GTA V down and rebooted into the city and fine again.

So does look like an asset streaming issue. In which its very highly probable the xbox one version has this issue too.

Hopefully DF will test an SSD with this as I remember installing GTA V on xbox 360 to the usb improved the framerate judder a fair bit as the streaming was quicker.

shandy706

So I'm just taking it easy, having a walk in the lowlands/marsh...

tbqria.gif

...and decide to hop in my truck to head back to the city.

slwxjb.gif

When this happens....

wnkxcv.gif

Haha, love this game.

Edit** Derp, that was for the OT...where's the darn OT......argh

Derpcrawler

I lol'd. Also I am 100% sure Xbox One version is better due to more realistic portray of San Andreas which is supposed to be California. Isn't there a huge drought right now? Haw can there be so much green grass. Xbox One version confirmed to have more attention to details.

Don't hate, I am j/k

On Demand

Banned
PS4 version has that natural, soft look to it, similar to I:SS.

Is that DOF at play?

Or something else?

Looks like a different time of day and weather...
or crushed black

It depends on the time of day and if it's bright and sunny or overcast. I was little worried about the PS4 version having muted colors compared to the last gen versions. Or even the XB1 version. I liked that GTAV had a candy colored look. But as i said it depends on how the sun is shining.

Watch this comparison video for PS4 and Xbox 360 and see how it changes between the two as the video goes on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFLU5mmiXXM

EDIT-

What's up with this?

http://wccftech.com/gta-v-ps4-xbox-one-1080p-video-screenshot-comparison/#ixzz3JW8sqpxc

Top Bottom