• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: GTA 5's next-gen grass compared

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
fGkLI3V.gif

Hahaha PERFECT

So? If you have an XBONE, are you going to get a PS4 because of more grass in this game? I suppose this meaningless information is only any good for 2 types of people, people that own both consoles and consolewar soldiers.

Jesus Christ. I'm so glad I don't let shit like this be part of my gaming experience.

oh my the palaver

PJV3

I hope somebody is counting the individual plants and leaves, I need to know the percentage boost the PS4 got.

RedStep

this is about quality and spending your money. Had there only been the xbox one version of GTAV then it wouldnt matter, but since people have options then it only makes sense to go with the better one if its available to you.. once thats over you just enjoy your game.

I think that technical discussions and comparisons are as interesting as the next guy, but let's not pretend that the community interest in them has the higher purpose of helping people with their purchasing decisions.

Most people don't have a PS4 and an XBO, and those that do already know which one is going to pull ahead in technical comparisons. The attention that these get is 99% Console Warz and 1% "which version should I get" (if that). Let's call a spade a spade.

Gurish

Well it may vary from to area to area but some areas do have a pretty significant difference according to these:
RWA2KMR.gif

m5QfIhd.png

Csa01f2.gif

pixlexic

Banned
People go crazy if the resolution is the same with parity accusations, but apperantly the secret is to just give them a bit more of something frivolous like grass density and they are happy.

The lod distance for the grass in both versions is still too close.

GHG

Like I said, people with both.

The problem, is that shit like this may take the focus away of more important things that a 'both console owner' may be looking for.

Maybe one day we'll get DF threads on how much fun is onscreen at once.

The only thing that is important to me as a multi console owner is which version performs better and looks better.

Now what?

People go crazy if the resolution is the same with parity accusations, but apperantly the secret is to just give them a bit more of something frivolous like grass density and they are happy.

The lod distance in both version is still too close.

People go crazy only when PS4 power is not used properly but not for resolutions. Developers should provide a statement that we used each system advantages very well without parity.

pixlexic

Banned
People go crazy only when PS4 power is not used properly but not for resolutions. Developers should provide a statement that we used each system advantages very well without parity.

So a bit more grass is the best use of that power?

That's what I am saying.

The lod distance for the grass in both versions is still too close.

Rofl this is blowing my mind. Some
Ubisoft
Dev out there is laughing their ass off as they slightly increases the density of grass.

In some areas.

Problem solved hail parity.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Looks a lot nicer in those gifs above anyway. Sparse vegetation is the bane of organic landscape scenes in games.

Nzyme32

I present exclusive early screenshot from pc version of GTA5

hits-2012-1-02.jpg

jk

The entire game is just an infinity dense forests of trees plants and vegetation. It isn't even possible to see the skybox due to the incredible LOD. In fact, it isn't even possible to see at all since the sun / moon are blocked out. Furthermore, it isn't even possible to move due to how packed the game is.

10/10 IGN

It's visuals that are present on one console and not present on another. Personally I'm glad this is a thing because recently it's been largely perceived that running at the same resolution = parity, which is not the case at all.

I, too, like seeing the power of each platform taken advantage of. I fully expect grass on the PC version to look photorealistic, blow with the wind, and flatten when I walk on it =)

Tigress

For the people saying it's just grass, you are underestimating how much small touches can really add a lot.

I like foliage in a game, it really adds to immersion and realism imho. It's one reason why I was convinced to go with RDR on xbox 360 when I asked a few months ago (I have both last gen consoles and I will fully admit I'm biased towards PS in general.. which is why I have Fallout 3 and vegas on the PS3 but I ended up rebuying Vegas for xbox in hopes it runs better. Skryim I only had a PS3 when I got it so that's my excuse there ;) ).

Honestly, I've heard xbox one is better in small regards to PS4 in this game. And the comparison of intro videos I saw i actually think overall I preferred the xbox's graphics when looking side by side (xbox was darker and I think I tend to prefer darker. IT was worse though in shadows where there was more differentiation in blacks on the PS4 but overall I liked the One's graphics better from that direct comparison).

But, this to me says that even if I had both consoles, PS4 would be the one I would want. Because foliage does add a lot imho. Where as the other things I prefer the One's graphics for I'm not going to notice unless I'm looking side by side.

Sure, if I only had a One I'd get over it. But if I had a choice, more foliage is something that would sway me.

Why does it matter? It's grass.

Grass.

Because it's a difference and that's the entire point of Digital Foundry?

Also because I like when good-looking foliage is well-represented in games, as it's a nice change of pace from the usual flat landscapes.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Thanks Eurogamer for telling me what should affect my purchasing decision.

It's still funny how this was a pretty significant deal back when it was Red Dead on the 360/PS3, but now that the shoe is on the other foot, suddenly it's fine to just wear sandals.

this right here... Eurogamer not wanting to dry up that MS advertising well..

last gen http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-red-dead-redemption-face-off

it's clear Rockstar had to cut and pare back the PS3 version of the game still further in order to maintain performance.

Play on PS3 without having seen the 360 version and it's difficult to imagine that the fun factor of the game has been massively impacted....if you've got the choice of buying the game for either console, Xbox 360 is the version of Red Dead you should buy.

This gen

This is curious as our initial attempts to get some like-for-like comparisons revealed no appreciable difference at all.

this is the kind of effect where the PS4's larger GPU and higher fill-rate come to the fore... it shouldn't impact any purchasing decision (Xbox One is hardly barren and featureless in the affected locations)

trenken

Banned
Its hard to believe we are talking about minor differences in foliage in a videogame now. I mean, really???? Ok, if there were big framerate differences, thats something to talk about, but foliage? These differences are not something anyone would ever notice or care about while playing the game.

We are seriously digging now. This is the level we are at now, find differences in foliage in multiplats. Just wow.

So a bit more grass is the best use of that power?

That's what I am saying.

We don't know how far PS4 power has been used in GTA V exactly(wait for Digital foundry full Face off) and its a port instead of a game developed only for next gen hardware. People just expect some justifcation from PS4 versions as they invested their money on that hardware because its powerful and they expect better versions when choosing next console.

EDIT: Better versions are the reason why XB360 got big success last generation over PS3 in market share. People who wanted to play 3rd party games went to XB360 mostly and Playstation lost market share this as one of the reasons.

Mihos

Gold Member

Grass.

To be fair, in a game like this, it is the little details that make it wonderful.

That and since a good many people here own multiple systems... all things else being equal, they will want the buy the one that looks the best.

I will probably get this on PS4 and again on PC, but the PC is more for the inevitable glorious batshit crazy mods.

pixlexic

Banned
We don't know how far PS4 power has been used in GTA V exactly(wait for Digital foundry full Face off) and its a port instead of a game developed only for next gen hardware. People just expect some justifcation from PS4 versions as they invested their money on that hardware because its powerful and they expect better versions when choosing next console.

That's my point though. If it really is just a bit denser grass people shouldnt be praising it they should be asking why not more?

It's like as long as something is bit better they are happy.

Handy Fake

Some unconfirmed reports of better lighting. It'll be interesting anyway.
The GTAV Photo thread is a sight to behold, like.

BWJinxing

Grass.

I can say from my perspective, its the same game with some new stuff.

Wow, new guns and cars and songs...

However once you get the blatantly obvious new content and stuff, I love the little detail stuff. If one system does 99% while the other does 100%, i want to spend my money on the 100% version. Id love to turn on TressFX in Tomb Raider PC version, but I have a Nvidia Card.

The little details mean something to some of us.

To be fair, in a game like this, it is the little details that make it wonderful.

That and since a good many people here own multiple systems... all things else being equal, they will want the buy the one that looks the best.

I will probably get this on PS4 and again on PC, but the PC is more for the inevitable glorious batshit crazy mods.

Why didn't more people on here buy 360 versions of games that performed better last generation?

I remember the RDR talk, it did not stop people from buying the PS3 version, many people on here did.

Wavebossa

Please. Just stop. Putting -gate after every "controversy" is more useless than the conversations themselves. Stop trying to make this a suffix. It's not.

PLEASE.

I don't understand why anyone gives a crap about grass. It's grass.

EDIT: I just woke up and subsequently am extremely salty. But please. I don't want the English language to be bastardized any further.

Wooooow, sodiumchloride levels through the roof!

Anywho, I dont get why people keep coming to DF threads to basically say how little they care about the subject matter covered. Does it make you feel cool or something?

That would be like going to an OST thread and saying "who cares, its just sound. I hear sounds everyday. Nothing special........losers"

RedFury

If you pick a 'side' then there is a part of your brain that doesn't work properly as far as I'm concerned.
This comment doesn't even make sense Scientifically if that's what you were going for. All life looks for the "best","better", etc. no matter what it is your talking about. Some things are objectively better, and if you choose the one that's inferior then there is something off about you.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Unless my sarcasm meter is broken, I see some people actually caring about how much grass there is. The amount of grass in this game will affect my game play experience 0.00%. Therefore I don't care.

I think the time has come to summons the Rockstar Devs to put an end to this debacle. Please, this all needs to stop.

Please don't stop, it's so entertaining.

Mihos

Gold Member
Why didn't more people on here buy 360 versions of games that performed better last generation?

I remember the RDR talk, it did not stop people from buying the PS3 version, many people on here did.

I bought the 360 version of RDR... but I had both systems then also.

Top Bottom