• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: GTA V PS4 and Xbox One compared in new frame-rate stress test.

Marlenus

The more likely variant for them would be to free an additional CPU core. Right now, only 6 cores are available to games. It's hard to see what the OS is doing with two cores, so maybe there is a reserve there.

I don't think that an upclock is possible. If it were, why wouldn't they just have set the clock speed accordingly right from the beginning?

Yea allowing an extra CPU core to be used by developers would be possible although I doubt that would help already released games.

The only way an upclock is possible is if the chips have been speed binned for a higher rating but they are running them below that rating, if they have not binned any higher they cannot upclock without bricking some consoles.

PS4 automatically wins best version because of their use of the DS4 speaker.

Every call and police chatter is broadcasted to your controller and the effect it creates feels awesome.

StuBurns

Banned
What defines a CPU intensive game and a GPU intensive game? Is it just the way its coded or is there certain things that a person can look for? Serious question.
Things that tax CPU is simulation elements, like complex AI systems, damage calculations, etc. GPUs are taxed by things like lots of explosions with heavy alpha effects and things, particles, etc.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Things that tax CPU is simulation elements, like complex AI systems, damage calculations, etc. GPUs are taxed by things like lots of explosions with heavy alpha effects and things, particles, etc.

ah ok. That also answered my question on this page

Tycho_b

One thing You cannot read in their article is what You can observe in the video - X1 drops frames in all sequences, 30-40% of the time without big maths. Whereas PS4 drops in car view on one stretch and maybe in one another sequence where X1 drops too.

Framerate-wise PS4 holds some advantage (side to side, X1 still better than PS3/X360 version)

What defines a CPU intensive game and a GPU intensive game? Is it just the way its coded or is there certain things that a person can look for? Serious question.

I would imagine having a big open world, with tons of stuff like people, cars and animals everywhere puts a big strain on the CPU.

A GPU intensive game would be a game with a lot of fancy graphical effects.

RyudBoy

Even though I own the XB1 version, I would choose PS4 if I had the choice. I'd rather have dips while driving than in combat. It really amazes me how solid the PS4 version held up in that area.

On Demand

Banned
Both versions drop frames below 30, and according to those videos, they do it quite often (esepcialyl the xb1 in that firefight). The difference is pretty minimal in the frames dropped when and how they occur.

The bigger story should be that this is dropping frames BELOW 30 at all.

I just find it funny this miniscule 1.75Ghz clock difference is being argued an advantage now.

verdures

And yet, with all the shit around the PC version I'm more likely to get it for PS4 even it'll probably end up looking better on my gaming rig.

Huddy

Reads to me like there could still be some more optimization done.

Fingers crossed R* are working on a performance patch.

zoozilla

Is it a little disappointing that it's not a solid 30 fps? Sure.

But let's not let that completely overshadow the fact that getting these consoles to run this huge open-world game as solidly as they do is a pretty huge technical achievement.

I mean, open world games challenge performance like few others. There are so many things that could be on screen at any given time. Has there ever been an open world console game that managed to hit 30 fps with no drops ever?

I get that people want proof of the power of these consoles, but I don't think we should lose sight of the fact that this is a hugely ambitious game, and that expecting perfection will almost always lead to disappointment.

Well this does not bodes well for future CPU intensive games.

This is where cloud power could come in to save these games!!

I don't see this actually happening on multiplats unless tools are created that can normalize the differences between different server stacks, assuming developers would need to split up the processing per platform (Sony ??? vs MS Azure)

Frumix

Suffering From Success
There are so many things that could be on screen at any given time. Has there ever been an open world console game that managed to hit 30 fps with no drops ever?

Infamous Second Son. That thing fluctuated but at least it was in 50 range?
Amount of things on the screen do not make a fun game automatically, that's Star Wars prequel logic.

My personal concern is that my PS4 doesn't even seem to be trying. Most games will make my fan kick up a notch when booted up but this is completely silent much like destiny was and that didn't seem very demanding for the system.

Papacheeks

Banned
Grass has never been this cinematic.

No, seriously am I missing something here? Why is a last-gen up-port enhanced it may be chugging sub-30? Devs stop feeding this slop to us and demanding 60 dollars for it.

Well I'm going to play devils advocate here. GTA V's Port is similar situation as to when you are running the Dolphin emulator or PS3 emulator on your PC. It sometimes can chug even if you have a crazy rig.

Mainly because the code for the game when it was first developed was not developed for PC hardware. Using Power PC/ customized hardware that ran it's own OS.

The last of Us is a special case because Naughty dog were actually retooling the engine to use for UC4 on PS4.

ANd it's one platform as apposed to two.

MORE variables when taking code from a game that ran on 2 different hardware set's during last generation.

Add in that the game has a lot going on in terms of effects, AI, graphical assets, animation in a open sand box setting.

If I'm way off slap me.

CaptNink

Every call and police chatter is broadcasted to your controller and the effect it creates feels awesome.

I got to admit, that's a cool feature.

So can these problems be chalked up to the use of a last-gen engine? It's kind of concerning to see both of these machines struggle in certain areas. What's going to happen when we get a couple of years into the gen?

Kssio_Aug

Honestly, rock solid 30 fps should be their main focus. In the Xbox One I would prefer to see it 900p and solid 30fp, plus the same level of details as the PS4 version, instead of pushing it to 1080p.

Im a bit disappointed for both though, the frame rate should be locked 30.

Sounds like a bit (but not much) of a give and take situation, with the Xbone winning in busy urban sections and the PS4 winning in every other situation (plus foliage). Thanks for not making a big debate over this, Rockstar.

Sammyzuko

Neo Member
Anyone have framerate analysis for GTA5 on last gen consoles to compare to this?
I stopped playing every GTA since Vice City because the choppy frames would give me headaches. They need to make improving this a priority imo.

So can someone tech-savy explain to me how much of this CPU bottle-neck for the PS4 could be remedied with efficient gpgpu optimization?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
DerZuhälter;139680619 said:
So can someone tech-savy explain to me how much of this CPU bottle-neck for the PS4 could be remedied with efficient gpgpu optimization?

No, it's apples and oranges. Computational problems have to have certain properties in order to be implemented efficiently on a GPU.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Great, now Leadbetter is hitting the CPU BS. It started with Ubi and Unity crowds, but even they backed off and admitted the crowds played no part in the frame rate drops.

-griffy-

Banned
Anyone have framerate analysis for GTA5 on last gen consoles to compare to this?
I stopped playing every GTA since Vice City because the choppy frames would give me headaches. They need to make improving this a priority imo.

It dropped to 20, and was regularly below 30, on last gen (with 360 have the slight advantage overall). So the new version is still a notable improvement with infrequent drops to the mid 20's in specific situations but maintaining 30 most of the time, especially considering the scale of technical improvements on display (utilizing tech that simply didn't exist in the last gen verisons).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fbYyMq4cGU

FZW

Honestly, rock solid 30 fps should be their main focus. In the Xbox One I would prefer to see it 900p and solid 30fps plus, the same level of details as the PS4 version, rather then pushing it to 1080p.

Im a bit disappointed for both though, the frame rate should be locked 30.

I variable frame rate wouldve been a better idea than dropping it straight to 900p. Im sure the XB1 could do a higher res than that with a locked 30. In the PS4's case changing the res probably wouldnt change much since its a CPU issue.

jacobeid

Banned
Well my PS3 copy couldn't even stream ground textures so I guess this is an improvement.

Regardless, I'm waiting for the PC version and for a sale. R* really burned me on the PS3 version. My copy was literally unplayable, and I'm not sure why. I bought the game digitally and the game just ran like shit in comparison to my friend's copies. Though, my problems persisted even when playing on a disc.

I just don't want to give R* $60, especially if the console versions aren't locked at 30.

And yet, with all the shit around the PC version I'm more likely to get it for PS4 even it'll probably end up looking better on my gaming rig.

So far the only shit we've seen is the console versions shitting the bed when it comes to providing a decent framerate. Why don't we wait and see how the PC version turns out before spreading FUD?

NastyBook

It's the clarity at which everything comes through that mic that floors me. I love picking up the phone in this game now. And the blue and red flashing on the light bar is the sweetest icing.

ypo

It's an unmistakable advantage for Sony's platform when it comes to shoot-outs, but on the other hand, the Xbox One typically avoids the heavy mid-20s frame-rates that can kick in during high-speed chases.

Not sure how they came to this conclusion when every segment minus two showed the X1 version dropping more frames even including high-speed chases.

IB4DKI1.jpg

Havel

PS4 performs better while under GPU intensive tasks, Xbone performs better while under CPU intensive tasks.

Goes in line with what we know about the hardware.

Marlenus

Looking in more detail at the video I do not think the advantage on Xbox One is CPU related. If you look at the video @ 3:43 the scene is almost the same on both consoles and so is the FPS. If this scene was CPU limited you would expect the Xbox One to be ahead slightly and if it was GPU limited you would expect the PS4 to be ahead. The fact that neither one is ahead suggests this is a case where a bit more optimisation is needed or there is a bottleneck somewhere else that is the same on both consoles.

Not sure how they came to this conclusion when every segment minus the first showed the X1 version dropping more frames even including high-speed chases.

IB4DKI1.jpg

Actually looking at the comparison video and I'm wondering, too, how he came to that conclusion. The PS4 drops but it's not exactly a clear-cut situation unlike those Trevor shootouts and building explosions.

Kilau

Gold Member
Not sure how they came to this conclusion when every segment minus the first showed the X1 version dropping more frames even including high-speed chases.

IB4DKI1.jpg

Didn't think the numbers on screen were indicative of the current performance of scene.

Sammyzuko

Neo Member
It dropped to 20, and was regularly below 30, on last gen (with 360 have the slight advantage overall). So the new version is still a notable improvement with infrequent drops to the mid 20's in specific situations but maintaining 30 most of the time, especially considering the scale of technical improvements on display (utilizing tech that simply didn't exist in the last gen verisons).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fbYyMq4cGU

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to watch that vid ^ when I get home. From the clips I've seen of the new version it looks really smooth....disappointing to hear it bogs down at times.

Top Bottom