• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One beats PS4 on Black Friday, according to market-research firm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gator86

Indie games & Nintendo games aren't games? LOL, OK, buddy.

I was saying people often discount indies are games when discussing game libraries and a lot of people lately have been doing the same when comparing Nintendo games and non-Nintendo games. Look at the post I quoted where the person shrugs off the XBone library as ports and multiplats like that makes them less desirable games to have available for your system of choice.

wotta

Look at that Xbox 360 numbers. And not just this chart but even going with the NPD data, software still sells so much on Xbox 360, its crazy. Say what you want, but 360 still prints money for Microsoft and can't say the same for PS3.

PS3 is outselling Xbox 360 worldwide. The world isn't just in America. Even if Xbox One wins in the US sony will still win the rest of the world maybe except UK.

Amir0x

Banned
For it to not be an embarrassment of a Phyrric victory for MS, they need to win November by over 200k.

My prediction is actually a 200k gap, but I actually think that's likely to be a lowball estimate. I think the gap might be closer to 350k-400k for the month. But there's so much raw data out there and analysis it's hard to get a precise picture on a few important details about PS4 and XBO necessary to say what the gap might be.

The other thing is... will we actually get hard numbers this month? MS might want to actually tout a huge number gap, because they've had to hide behind comically misleading PR for the past, gosh, 8 months.

Highest meltdown potential: PS4 wins this month

OR

X1 wins a month after the price goes back up.

X1 sales will fall off a cliff if they raise the price back up.

Anyway I think X1 will edge out the PS4 for November. But it wont be a big enough lead to cause a meltdown, except for the few crazies who like to get a rise outta ppl.

AniHawk

The meltdowns will be much worse if Xbone wins by a large margin.

not sure if meltdown is the right word, but i agree. people are already jumping through hoops to justify what microsoft did was a bad thing and that it doesn't matter and that they'll be worse off for having done this.

i predict the npd thread will be full of 'concern' over sony's complacency on one side and 'concern' about microsoft's profitability on another.

My prediction is actually a 200k gap, but I actually think that's likely to be a lowball estimate. I think the gap might be closer to 350k-400k for the month. But there's so much raw data out there and analysis it's hard to get a precise picture on a few important details about PS4 and XBO necessary to say what the gap might be.

The other thing is... will we actually get hard numbers this month? MS might want to actually tout a huge number gap, because they've had to hide behind comically misleading PR for the past, gosh, 8 months.

350-400K is pretty out there at most i see a 200K gap.

breakfuss

lol wouldn't surprise me. Some of the stores I visited over Black Friday appeared to have less X1s left than PS4s. First time I've ever seen that.

Bgamer90

Banned
2:1 or greater, not gonna happen but man there would a metric ton of salt thrown around here. If PS4 wins to me it's just more of the same despite MS best efforts.

2:1 or greater would pretty much be equal to the Xbox One closing the gap and probably being ~100K over the PS4 in North America. That would be insane. Not happening.

Edit: Thought you were talking about November and December for some reason. Either way, not happening.

A respectable 'large margin' and 'win over PS4' would be, imo, at least a complete wipeout of the September lead created by Destiny bundle.

Anything less than that, eh.

This was 5 hours ago.

nzLbccmh.jpg

samar11

That's a big fucking gap mate, so it would make it a meltdown type thread lol.

system11

I'd like to see the win margin as small as possible, just because a lower market share makes it harder for them to moneyhat.

Mafia Films

Neo Member
MS will not be stupid enough to raise the price again.

yeah that temporary price drop isnt temporary,

the $450 price drop(titanfall bundle) was followed by keeping it baseline at $400 for a kinectless model...

so using the same formula $350 price drop temporary to a $300 baseline?

yeah that temporary price drop isnt temporary,

the $450 price drop(titanfall bundle) was followed by keeping it baseline at $400 for a kinectless model...

so using the same formula $350 price drop temporary to a $300 baseline?

I've been a strong advocate for a $299 XB1 price for many months now. $329 with free games is also ok but the $299 price point is ideal, even more so with a free game included.

Amir0x

Banned
350-400K is pretty out there at most i see a 200K gap.

There's some major data points missing for any realistic prediction (including what PS4 and XBO sold last month), but the reference point I'm choosing to use here is the fact PS4 sold like 350k (or something, I forget the exact number) more than XBO in Destiny month.

If PS4 can do that during Destiny month, I'm unsure why Microsoft wouldn't be able to post equally big gap if not bigger with these absolutely mindblowing deals. Even I almost caved to get it, despite the ID@Xbox parity clause principle. I held out but I can only imagine how easy it was for a gamer to see it and just say "fuck it, this is too good."

EmmaWatsonButt said:
It's going to be glorious when PS4 wins November

EmmaWatsonButt proves even Emma Watson's butt farts. >:)

AniHawk

i think it's a real question as to how many could have been sold in a couple of days.

the ps4 has been closely following the 360's 2007. following that to its conclusion, the ps4 should top out around 800k or so (the 360 hit 770k for november 2007). what was the xbox one estimates in the early part of the month, that they were outselling the ps4 2:1? assuming it's the same weekly number of about 65k sony experienced in october, microsoft could have been around 350k before black friday. it's possible then that sales might have even tripled from there for the last week (which ended today), giving a really strong million plus.

i'm not so sure that's the case though. it seems to go against the softer sales both system had experienced thoughout the year. it's possible the xbox one had very strong november sales while ps4 was simply par for the course for what it's been doing all year. i don't think people were avoiding the ps4, but it wasn't the same kind of hot ticket item the xbox one was (i don't think bundling games has the same effect as an overall lower cost when it comes to the mass market). to that end, the ps4 might have had lower sales while the xbox one could have remained around a million. and i'm not sure what led the 360 to such strong sales in 2007, but it could have been a combination of halo 3, the price drop (core to $280, premium to $350, elite to $450), and modern warfare suddenly lighting up the charts. i don't know what ps4 really has going for it aside that it's simply popular (destiny's push seems to have done its magic but not into the holiday season proper).

if the gap is as wide as you suspect, then i think it means lower interest in the ps4 than anticipated, and higher xbox one numbers than there should be.

vesvci

Banned
not sure if meltdown is the right word, but i agree. people are already jumping through hoops to justify what microsoft did was a bad thing and that it doesn't matter and that they'll be worse off for having done this.

i predict the npd thread will be full of 'concern' over sony's complacency on one side and 'concern' about microsoft's profitability on another.

Isn't sales mostly about profit? Do you think MS is making profit by discounting the XBO and throwing in free games?

SRTtoZ

I think most people expect XB1 to win November (I do) but if it doesnt...

The meltdowns.

The meltdowns will be glorious.

Bgamer90

Banned
There's some major data points missing for any realistic prediction (including what PS4 and XBO sold last month), but the reference point I'm choosing to use here is the fact PS4 sold like 350k (or something, I forget the exact number) more than XBO in Destiny month.

Yeah, but it was a pretty typical month for the Xbox One. PS4 had the build up hype from the Destiny bundle.

Both the PS4 and Xbox One will get a large boost this month (since it's November) so I don't think the gap will be that large.

Isn't sales mostly about profit? Do you think MS is making profit by discounting the XBO and throwing in free games?

I would argue that in certain product categories gaining market share is much more important for Microsoft than making a bit of profit. Sony desperately need the Playstation to do well in order to make money, Microsoft can take a loss in order to increase sales and hurt their competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom