• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Street Fighter V is a PS4 console exclusive" (PlayStation Blog)

Skilletor

And give up all that money on exclusive custom fightsticks?

No way jose.

I'd think there's more money to be made in converting people to their new games on the next gen console.

I also don't know how much Capcom will make when I buy my hori stick or non branded TE2.

But enlighten me, please.

EatMyFace

Banned
The tag on the cover is clearly bullshit. There's no objective argument for it being accurate. I think people just don't care particularly, and that's fine.

I can't actually imagine that tag has any impact on sales. I'd be surprised if someone would only want or not want SF5 if it's exclusive.
In this case this means "not on Xbox".
It's not final box art though.

Neoxon

For those who want to support the cause to let PS3 stick be used in SF5, walk this way.

On-topic, I stand by my point. Whatever assets Sony may have made for SF5 would have to be approved before SSF5 can go to XB1.

Phamit

So Capcom is in such bad situation, that they didn't want to make a new SF without help? Wow, that's probably the biggest news out of this.

I couldn't even imagine that SF could rest next to the grave of Mega Man

Amir0x

Banned
So Capcom is in such bad situation, that they didn't want to make a new SF without help? Wow, that's probably the biggest news out of this.

speaking of Mega Man if console peeps are going to fund games that wouldn't otherwise be made, SOMEONE please save Mega Man :(

joe2187

Banned

From what we know of capcom, the losses of their last few games have made them super cautious of funding new projects.

The bloated development or RE6 and the flop of DmC probably hurt them alot.

Think about the fact that RE6 sold nearly 6 million copies worldwide and it was still considered a dissapointment to capcom.

They are not gonna take any unecessary risks for future projects, and it seemed like Ono felt that the fighting game division would be held to the same standards.

NeoROCK

Amazing box cover
15774215657_dbc508b182_b.jpg

Awesome.

I hope they do all the Limited Editions and fightsticks like they did with SFIV too.

speaking of Mega Man if console peeps are going to fund games that wouldn't otherwise be made, SOMEONE please save Mega Man :(

That's what makes the SF is a legendary series that Capcom would have made regardless arguments feel a little less merit-less to me. The same can be said about many Capcom properties including Megaman and thats... well... back to Smash.

Don't worry buddy, I'm sure the 16+ million PS4 owners will keep Street Fighter alive and well.

SgtCobra

He ain't wrong. It's not like the TR deal, where if you wait long enough, you'll get it one PS4. Seems set in stone.
I was actually convinced that the Super/Ultra/Arcade iteration of SFV would eventually come to the Xbox One but if that isn't the case then this is pretty big.

Averon

Capcom partnered with MS to fund Dead Rising 3

Capcom partnered with Sony to help develop Deep Down

Capcom partnered with Sony to fund Street Fighter V

It seems Capcom either can't or won't fund a AAA release alone, and would rather have financial and/or development backing with another party.

cackhyena

I was actually convinced that the Super/Ultra/Arcade iteration of SFV would eventually come to the Xbox One but if that isn't the case then this is pretty big.

I think if they actually put out a new SFV iteration, maybe that's a possibility? But if it's just updates like they've done with SF4 after Super, highly doubt it's ever coming to Xbox.

BadWolf

Capcom just has different priorities, they blew all their profits from MH4 to revamp their mobile division.

Seems they are trying to lower risk on the console side as much as possible and collaborations are their solution.

They have a ton of great IPs so first parties would be more than glad to partner up. Not to mention PS4+PC is a pretty damn safe bet for this gen.

Eusis

I can't see how Capcom couldn't have done this on their own given how huge the series is, at best I can see it being a case where they'd leave it on the backburner awhile longer but Sony made them an offer and they decided what the hell, may as well just get the game made sooner than later instead. Then again it took a lot of arguing with Capcom execs to even get SFIV made, so maybe they really do suck that way.

However, the fact it's cross platform for multiplayer raises questions on if perhaps going for a single unified community outside of the arcade was a factor? I actually am for exclusives if rather than taking advantage of unique hardware or being financed by the platform holder they take advantage of different policies, such as cross platform play. I think this may've been an outright mistake in the case of Elder Scrolls Online trying to hit all three platforms as third parties typically do, as an MMO really shouldn't have a fragmented base if it can be helped.
Capcom just has different priorities, they blew all their profits from MH4 to revamp their mobile division.

Seems they are trying to lower risk on the console side as much as possible and collaborations are their solution.

They have a ton of great IPs so first parties would be more than glad to partner up. Not to mention PS4+PC is a pretty damn safe bet for this gen.
Yeah, THAT can really be a case of being completely screwed up on the exec side. I guess it's kind of like a stupider version of what's going on with SE in that you had you had a collection of great game makers but you get too fixated on chasing the biggest fish and being risk averse to not properly USE that game maker advantage. And thus must of them leave and form their own studios. Granted a lot of those were more niche darlings than market successes, but for every Okami that you can go "well ok if it was a success it wasn't a BIG one" you have Street Fighter where it's "dude HOW many copies of that did you sell?"

if this is how they operate now can someone collaborate and get us Onimusha and Rival Schools please

Gestault

It seems Capcom either can't or won't fund a AAA release alone, and would rather have financial and/or development backing with another party.

If their work is high enough quality, I don't have a problem with that (assuming they have the recognition/support to do so). Shared investment, shared advantage. Dead Rising 3 was super fun. I really do think more focus in what's considered AAA development can lead to better games, or at least more polished games.

LaserHawk

It's good to have this thread. Maybe in the other SF5 thread we can now talk about the game instead of illuminati conspiracy theories on why it's exclusive.

Eusis

I really hope this feature turns out to be huge so MS reconsiders that awful policy (cross platform online is just the way things should be, IMO).
I think usually the issue (that BOTH probably have) is that they don't want to work with the competing service, and so when going with both of them and maybe Nintendo then it's easier just to make each one their own little island.

Seems however that Microsoft's cold on PC cross play period whereas Sony and likely even Nintendo are warmer to the idea. It'd be better if they WOULD all play together on that front, but at a minimum it'd be nice to at least have PC cross play if possible, even if you had to have PS4PC, XB/PC, or even Wii/PC servers when it shows up (DQX?)

BibiMaghoo

I think whatever the situation, it's expressly covered in the contract.

It could be anything from 'All SF5 assets are owned by Sony and can't be used without express permission.' to 'The initial iteration of SFV will only appear on the PS4, aside from PC platforms, future iterations will be negotiated as and when with asset royalties received in perpetuity'.

It really could be anything, and yes, the existence, and exclusivity of future iterations might be open to various elements of the contract, sales performance, metacritic score, XBO market share, etc. We'll never know those details.

But in any of those possible situations, they'd be covered in the contract, so the possibility will have already been accounted for, so it would be possible to be transparent about those things. I don't expect them to, I never did, of course, but I think the exclusivity is far from 'clarified'.

If the series wasn't so infamous for these iterations, it wouldn't be so cloudy. TitanFall for example, someone says TitanFall will never come to PS4, I would be very confident a TitanFall GotY Edition wouldn't come to PS4.

Right, I see where you are coming from, and it could of course be true. I just think it could as likely not be, and that the details its easy to think are carved out for the next few iterations, may not be at all.

NeoROCK

SFV is a great exclusive to snag, because it's the most popular game in a niche market with millions of diehard fans.

Basically every Street Fighter fan will have to get a PS4 now.

Drifters

I guessing people salty about this think SFV: Championship Edition will be out on Xbone. I really think Sony now owns exclusive rights to anything SFV for this gen with this style of announcement.

vg260

I would have got the game on Xbox One (in addition to PS4/PC) if there was a version, and it might even have been my system of preference for the game. I love the snap/TV features, even if the hardware specs are lower. Having a twitch stream on the screen while messing around in a game is pretty cool. So that's kind of a bummer.

However, I'm very excited about this IP getting actual development support from a platform holder, plus the unified player base. Capcom has been on shaky ground, and Sony taking an active role in supporting and promoting the game is huge. They've even got their 3rd party team working on the Ultra port. Having Capcom's resources freed up a bit might help bring other titles to life. If that's the cost of console exclusivity, that's a no-brainier choice for me. This is a rare case in which I this the end result will work out better for fans of the game and maybe even the genre in general.

Too bad Seth Killian left Sony. Getting him involved again on SF somehow would have been an interesting twist.

Luftwaffle

Neo Member
I just hope that Capcom doesn't pull an SSF4 with SSF5 where they don't bring it over to PC. That would be awful.
Console exclusive is cool and all as long as I have the option for PC. I have an X1/PC setup anyway.

UrbanRats

teaming up with Sony for Deep Down/Panta Rhei engine,
I don't know how much they spent on that, but right now it feels like an incredible waste of money.
They have nothing to show for (Deep Down isn't out, and it has been almost 2 years since the reveal) they haven't shown anything else using it, and given their financial situation, i really don't get why they wanted to waste money on a proprietary engine, when they could've just used UE4 or whatever.

gngf123

Is there a reason a SF fan can't just play on PC?

What I've learnt the last couple of days is that to a significant portion of people on here, PC doesn't seem to exist sadly.

Tournament players will most likely play on both, though. PS4 at tournaments for obvious reasons. Everyone else can and will play on whatever platform they want.

LowParry

What I've learnt the last couple of days is that to a significant portion of people on here, PC doesn't seem to exist sadly.

Tournament players will most likely play on both, though. PS4 at tournaments for obvious reasons.

To be fair, Wong and PR play on PC some times on their streams. PC will be my preferred choice of purchase. The fact that the community will be unified is damn awesome. I wish we could see this happen with other fighters because it would keep the players together. I wish this was happening with Tekken 7. :(

Top Bottom