• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 games. 1 Year. 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.

weekev

Banned
Update: game 1 Captain Toad Treasure Tracker beaten

Thoughts: absolutely charming, quite challenging little puzzle game from EAD. Level design, as you'd expect, is absolutely top notch and the fact you cant jump makes things like falling platforms more treacherous than standard Mario. Game is relatively short, in total I clocked up 21 hours on my WiiU but it will take most a lot less than that as my wife and daughter took turn about at trying the level before handing over the controller to do the bonus challenges.

Rating 8.5/10 - solid

Javier

Claiming this post.

Games finished this year:

#1- Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney (3DS) (17:52:00)
- Started (for the fourth time overall) last year but finished Case 5 yesterday.

#2 - Fairune (3DS) (03:47:54) - A cute little top-down exploring game, very reminiscent of Zelda 1. You play as the legendary maiden slaying monsters and solving puzzles, although it's easy to get stumped if you don't have the patience. A short game, but good value for its price. If anyone wants to add a quick game to its 52, consider this one.

#3 - Donkey Kong Country (SNES VC on Wii U) (02:13:00 in-game time) - Downloaded today and did a quick 101% playthrough. Proof.

#4 - Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (SNES VC on Wii U) (04:08:00 in-game time) - Finished it yet again a few days ago with a 102% playthrough. Game is as awesome as always. Proof.

#5 - Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Justice For All (3DS) (17:44:00) - Second in the original AA trilogy which I just finished replaying.

#6 - Super Smash Bros. For 3DS (Total Time: 99:20:00 Time in 2015: 12:18:00) - Finished Classic, Smash Run and All Star with every character, as well as most Stadium modes with pretty much everyone, including the DLC characters. Only a couple of challenges that involve grinding are missing. I'll still pick this up on occasion when I'm in the mood, but I'm essentially done with it as I consider it beaten.

#7 - Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble (SNES VC on Wii U) (05:40:00 in-game time) - Played it again on VC and did a complete playthrough. Proof.

#8 - Warioware Touched (DS VC on WIi U) (04:12:00) - All microgames unlocked and played, and both Toy Rooms filled. All that's missing are the individual microgames challenges but I won't bother with that, so this is beaten. Proof.

#9 - Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES VC on Wii U) (03:54:00) - There are yearly traditions and then there's this game. My annual all-levels playthrough is done and now included here.

#10 - Shantae: Risky's Revenge (DSiWare on 3DS) (05:42:17 in-game time) - Did a second playthrough, this time on my New 3DSXL. Not a 100% run but I did beat the final boss and reached the credits.

#11 - Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (Wii U) (08:28:02 in-game time) - Got the good ending. Only missed four Heart Squids but I'm done with the game. Proof.

#12 - The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES VC onWii U) (06:25:00) - 100% run. All Heart Pieces, all weapons and items, and all Bomb & Arrow upgrades. No dying either, thanks to VC letting you suspend. Proof.

#13 - Rage of Bahamut (iOS) (Dunno... A couple Hundred Hours?) - This is a TCG with Microtransactions focused on collecting and special events. However, a couple of months ago they decided to end all events so there's very reason to keep playing. I haven't touched the game since the last event, so I'm officially done with it. Glad I also never put a cent in this game.

#14 - The Stanley Parable (Steam) (1:21:00) - Got this per recommendation of GAF, and enjoyed it despite the steep price. Got five different endings, which is probably enough for now.

#15 - The Quiet Collection: Quiet, Please! (Wii U) (1:01:00) - First in a series of four point-and-click style games. Pretty fun, and kinda cute despite being so short.

#16 - Project X Zone (3DS) (57:51:36 in-game time) - Whew! I started playing this quite a while back and now finally finished it to set myself up for PXZ2 next year. I enjoyed the game despite all its flows (some stages becoming a drag, plot being all over the place), but the fanservicey crossover nature of it made it fun to play.

#17 - Hyrule Warriors (Wii U) (Time in 2015: 68:08:00; Total Time 84:20:00) - Did the entire Story Mode and almost the whole Challenge Mode, so I unlocked all characters and almost every weapon. I'm done with this for the year, but I'll continue it for next year's challenge with the DLC maps.

#18 - The Quiet Collection: Candy, Please! (Wii U) (2:07:00) - Second in the series, even though it's really episode 4, but did it today because of the Halloween theme. Puzzles were A LOT harder, but managed to solve it on my own.

#19 - Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones (GBA VC on WIi U) (28:37:10 in-game time) - Played this game many times but this was my first run on Wii U. One of the easiest in the series, but the more condensed story and smaller cast make it quite memorable.

#20 - StreetPass Mii Plaza: Monster Manor (3DS) (Lots and lots of hours) - Reached the very last floor, beat the final boss, and the credits rolled. All tickets/achievements collected. This game was a fantastic ride and very original for such a small game, but I'm glad it's finally over.

#21 - StreetPass Mii Plaza: Battleground Z (3DS) (Lots and lots of hours) - Beat the main story and final boss, then credits roll. Still need to go back and collect some coupons but I'm mostly done with this game as the Plaza counts it as beaten.

#22 - Picross e2 (3DS) (19:54:00) - All puzzles done. 100%.

Currently Playing: (Wii U/Wii):

- Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - I intend to get a decent number of challenges and finish Classic and All-Star with every character.
- Bayonetta - Halfway through.
- Mario Kart 8 - Waiting for DLC Pack 2.
- Xenoblade Chronicles - Definitely need to finish this soon.
- Zelda: Skyward Sword - Need to finish.
- Unepic - Need to finish.
- Shovel Knight - Need to finish.

Currently Playing (Nintendo 3DS):

- Tomodachi Life - Ongoing
- Yumi's Odd Oddyssey - Ongoing.
- Weapon Shop de Omasse - Recently started.
- Mario & Luigi: Dream Team - REALLY need to pick this up again.
- Bravely Default - Also halfway through.
- Streetpass Mii Plaza - Puzzle Swap - Complete every panel released up to 2014. (Piece count at the start of 2015: 1205/1382)
- Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth

Currently Playing (Virtual Console):

- Fire Emblem - Finish Hector Mode Playthrough
- Mega Man 5 - Missing 3 Robot Master and Wily's Castle
- Pokemon TCG
- Mario Pinball Land
- Golden Sun

Will start/buy this year:

- Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
- Bayonetta 2
- Mario Maker
- Splatoon
- Star Fox Wii U
- Pokemon Omega Ruby
- Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations (Replay)

Update
Game #2

3hakQnh.jpg

73JKIsf.jpg

Just 1CC'ed BOOST mode in NOVICE difficulty (which in turn, means I beat the EX boss). What a hell of a game. Another great Steam purchase. Just like Gunman Clive, I want to attempt 100% but I'll be moving on to another game. It's ok though. Getting all the achievements in a shoot em' up is impossible for me, lol.

Sch1sm

Sch1In. Maybe I'll get a good part of my backlog out of the way by the summer sale.

Completed 26/52:

Game 1: Gunpoint (PC) - 7.6h
# Stealth and puzzle game, with a rather amusing commentary (that holds a few options) prior to each chosen/assigned mission and a soundtrack that puts it to shame. I played through 4 times, once a mere breeze - no more than about half an hour, another I went a thoroughly stealthy approach with minimal to no violence/noise and took one side, stealthy again but took the other side, and a fourth, plenty more violent try at it. 7.6h mostly for the sake of achievements, and the jazzy soundtrack fits so well.

Game 2: To The Moon (PC) - 4.1h
# For now? Two words: the feels. That soundtrack. Good lord. The gameplay isn't great; in fact, it's terrible unless you're a point and click, search for things with magnifying glasses type of person. But the soundtrack and story bring together a beautiful creation that will result in a shed tear. Play it. Probably only 3h to play if you don't idle at all.

Game 3: The Stanley Parable (PC) - 3.5h
# That narrator is perfection. The Stanley Parable can be finished in a whole 4m22s at the least according to one of the ten achievements. Why did I play for 3.5h? It's far from linear. It seems straight forward, as if there's only two possible endings, but it's so much more. The depth is incredible. It's an innovative little game, and there's only so much that can be said without throwing spoilers left and right. Worth the $5 it is at every sale. Now that I've played it I'd even buy it for the $15.

Game 4: Gears of War 3 + DLC (360) - 13h
# 5 acts of the curb stopping goodness gameplay we had in the first two installments of Gears. Very familiar controls and graphics. I'm far from fond of it, however. I'm still under the impression that it should have ended at 2
when they flushed the locust out and wrecked the queen to save Jacinto.
I wouldn't suggest it to anyone. In fact, I'd only ever suggest the first 2 - they're my favourites; my bias is showing, Gears was my first game love and 3 only brought me sadness in the form of third person shooter deaths we should always expect.

Game 5: Thomas Was Alone (PC) - 5h
# Not a bad puzzle platformer at all. Starts off really slow and gets a bit more complex along the way, but it didn't give me any trouble. Nothing extraordinarily compelling in my eyes, though I assume that was in the lack of challenge. The "characters" or parallelograms in all their forms were something, at least. Something amusing. The narrator made me laugh sometimes, maybe if he wasn't cut off by the finishing of a level it'd be different. May replay it again and pay more mind to the narrator. Maybe my impression will change.

Game 6: DreadOut(PC) - 0.9h
# DreadOut is an Indonesian horror game, third person. That bit alone made me wary at first. How scared am I really going to be by some third person horror game, really? I can't get the full immersion that way at all. ...I was wrong. It was enjoyable. Not worth the 16.99CAD it goes for, in my opinion, but a good little game. The sounds are well done, but I can't vouch for much else. Think of any stupid horror film you've watched, and it's pretty much that. People scatter, shit goes down. RIP.

Game 7: Final Fantasy XIII (PS3) - 63h
# At first I was bored, I can't deny that at all. I see why I put it down when I first picked it up to begin with, now, but I'm glad I gave it second chance
thanks for praising it, SteamGAF
. Once the world opens up the game picks up incredibly, the linear style to start with was suffocatingly boring and seemed to never end. Hold fast and keep going, guys. Even with the game play starting off uninterestingly, the story didn't disappoint, or at least the characters are likeable. Gorgeous graphics to boot.

Game 8: Words For Evil (PC) - 10.2h
#The amount of time it took me to beat this is actually a lie. It was a lot of idling. According to the in-game timer, however, it was about 4h to complete all 6 worlds. Words for Evil is sort of like scrabble, except with less restriction in terms of going to a single direction. Every letter you're given, you can find adjacently in left/right, up/down/ diagonal planes to create words and formulate your attack. It's a side-scrolling combat game that relies solely on your ability to find words. It took a lot to start, hence the mass of idling, but after losing a few heroes along the way and barely getting through quite a few Last Stands on their last bit of hp, I grew to enjoy it. It's fast paced, so when you're trying to get those words, just give in an repeat smaller ones so you get through. Monsters attack you in real time, no joke, so as you're trying to save your hero by getting an attack in, odds are you're getting wrecked. There's an implemented skill system, "traps" and loot chests which force words on you, as well as a Blacksmith whose stock you can browse when you come across him.

Game 9: Forza Horizon 2 (X1) - 19h
# I'm not one who often plays racing games. In fact, I only own them because I buy them for my brother. This one grew on me very quickly, however. I found myself bored at one race only for it to be 2:30 AM, 3 championships down, road tripping to Castello once again to start another series of championships. There's a good variety of championships, super cars, hyper cars, US muscle, rally, off road, track toys, the works. Even within those there's specific sub sets. I feel the only real downside to this game in the solo campaign (ish, if you can call for that) is that you can't sell any cars, won or bought. You're stuck with them. You can remove them from your listings, but you'll get no credits for them. Tragic really. Credits are hard to come by to begin with, so I keep them all. The update system for cars is friendly to anyone, offering an auto option to a class (D, C, B, A, S1, S2) or you can custom upgrade part by part. Easily replayed, as there's tons of championships even beyond the main Horizon Championship (which you have to go through I think 16 championships in the regions you road trip to reach to begin with. There's more than one Finale, the second marking the ending of the game with the credits). I haven't touched the multiplayer myself, but you can form clubs with your friends and do road trips with them. Nice friendly competition.

Game 10: Civilizations V (PC) - 23h
#My first play through, at least. I've gone through two now for a total of 42 some odd hours of my life since it's been a rough week. I never was one for strategy, but I found myself incredibly into it. Considering I'm a full time student and a part time worker, that 42 hours is significant. I couldn't bring myself to save and quit. I was thoroughly obsessed with the possibility of nuking Gandhi, and then winning by domination, and now winning by science. It's been wild. 10/10 replay value. 10/10 time waster. I regret not giving this a better look at last year, but I picked it up in the 2K sale with no regrets. I'm positive several people in my life think I've lost my mind, commenting on the acquiring of atomic bombs and wanting to nuke Gandhi, or discovering The Internet. Would play in public again.

Game 11: Hexcells (PC) - 3.1h
# Little bit of idling, honestly. Shouldn't take nearly this long to complete the game, of course, that's in hindsight, and the following games, Hexcells Plus and Infinite, are known for being much more difficult. It's an enjoyable puzzle game, at first, anyway. I found myself getting a bit bored as it's a repetitive scenario with a few new factors added to the puzzles as you progress worlds.

Game 12: Rayman Legends (X1) - Will check hours played later.
# Fun little platformer. Not very much to it. Simple controls, straightforward levels that force you to keep your eyes peeled for the little blue creatures you're meant to be releasing from their cages. Couldn't tell you how many times I died trying to save those things, accidentally executing a downward attack when meaning to swing the axe at the cage to free them. I don't have a particular favourite world, but the rhythm levels are incredibly fun. I still replay them when I'm between daily/weekly challenges. It runs 1080p 60 fps on ONE.
Hnnnng.
If you played Origins, there's probably nothing new to the game for you. It's similar, from what little I've watched in the odd letsplay out of curiosity. If you're new to it entirely, pretty sure it's still free with Gold membership as of (April 2015)

Game 13: Watch_Dogs (PS3) - Not sure, but all of these hours could have been better.
# Ugh. No. This is the worst thing I've played yet. It's like some hacker fetishized, GTA wannabe. The main character isn't even a likeable person, in my opinion. I have zero pity for him throughout despite his familial issues. The story is weak, the action isn't anything new. I found myself bored throughout majority of it. In fact, my first play through, I had to pause so many times I actually put this game down for weeks before I could even play another game again. It becomes repetitive quickly. The "hacking" schematics are nothing difficult, either, so Ubisoft doesn't even excel in the more puzzle-like element.

Game 14: Limbo (PC) - 5.1h
#Puzzle platformer, and not your usual one. For starters, it's in black and white, and second, the pace is rather slow. However, it's one of few that I've found to genuinely test my skill in the puzzle aspect. Whether it be through, how do I actually get through this chapter or where do I precisely position myself or this object to successfully evade the machinery that will give me colourful deaths? It was a lot of dying, not Dark Souls dying, but I doubt I'll ever get the achievement in beating this game with only 5 deaths.
There's no music to the game, absolutely none - only the sound of that which may kill you, and the odd SFX, and at first I found that took away from the atmosphere that was put across, but the backdrop makes up for it after a while. All in all, enjoyable experience over a few nights.

Game 15: Far Cry 4 (X1) - 18h
#Oh, Ubisoft. The game isn't worse or better than Far Cry 3, still boasting that expansive map, although not an overly impressive one; you can't scale the summits like the trailer suggested, and although there's plenty to "explore" you're quickly thrown back to the correct path of story because there just isn't that many side quests. It's still beautiful, naturally. All that aside, the weapons (bless you, Lionel, even if you force feed me with bible quotes to unlock new guns via missions) and stealth portions to the game are well done, the Shangri La missions are chilling and absolutely my favourite part to the game between the marital-like bickering between Amita and Sabal over whether anarchy should ensue or tradition should keep for the Golden Path. The system in general is very similar to FC3, albeit a few abilities here and there, such as the skin necessary to hold more money and weapons. If you played 2, it's still the superior version. I didn't hate the game, it had it's enjoyable moments, but it wasn't with the 69.99+tax I preordered it at even with the amount of time that went into it.

Game 16: Telltale Game of Thrones - Episode 1 (X1)- 1.5h
#This game was free for father's day on X1, so there was no harm in giving Telltale a shot for once. It's well done, I found, as in the way the characters are portrayed, and the course of events. Accurate. It's unmistakably Game of Thrones with the amount of death that occurs atop the usual betrayal, so the essence is well captured. The episode is a side story, rather than what GoT fans are entirely used to, following House Forrester (a house loyal to the Starks) beyond the mess of The Red Wedding which your character quickly leaves from. I played this through twice, and found that some things led to the same outcome
like I could never save Lord Forresters son when he was fighting in The Red Wedding
, but rightfully so. There's still choice, diplomacy, placenscy, action once you leave the action of Frey's keep. I fully intend on buying the other episodes once the season pass is on sale again.

Game 17: Metal Gear Solid 1 (PS1 Emulator PCSX) - 9.5h
#

Game 18: Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS3) -
#

Game 19: Metal Gear Solid 3 (PS3) -
#

Game 20: Forza 5 (X1) - 16h
#I've played a lot of racing games in my time. From Cruisin' USA on N64 to Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, Gran Turismo 5, and Forza Horizon 2 for some recent examples. These latest Forza games are right up there in my favourite racing experiences, though. The feedback from the controller to the car is phenomenal, the mechanics are perfection, and when you switch to a wheel instead of a controller it's an even greater experience to take on. It doesn't have that sort of end game that Forza Horizon 2 does, becoming the Horizon Champion, but more mindless becoming the champ across several leagues in several different classes under that league, which is good enough for me. I haven't finished them all, I've won two championships at least in each of the leagues. While it has less cars and tracks than its predecessor (Forza 4) it makes up in being a much more refined game. I anticipate 6 will bring the best of the Forzaverse - Forza 5's ability with Forza 4's quantity, and Horizon's goal-oriented races.

Game 21: Metal Gear Solid: Peacewalker (PS3) -
#

Game 22: The Bridge (PC) - 6.3h
#2D puzzle game where you're left with nothing but a door, some menace balls out to get you, occasionally keys, and sometimes a switch you have to magically transition the menace balls onto in order to progress. It starts off simply, but it scales incredibly well. By the very last chapter (in the regular game, not mirrored levels) I was staring at my screen for nearly an hour to figure out how to use "the veil" to properly position everything. It's nothing like Limbo, as in it isn't continuous, but it still has that visual appeal and continuous challenge. The puzzles are unique, compared to the many I've played over the past year in my library, and it was refreshing (when I wasn't totally frustrated by my inability to solve one). There's two sets of controls, one for your character and one for the world, and just guessing at what the solution is will get you nowhere a lot of the time.

Game 23: Hexcells Plus (PC) - 8.4h
#When I played the first game, I wasn't as impressed. Maybe that was more because of a lack of understanding, rather than a genuine lack of enjoyment. Playing this one, I was a lot more obsessive, more calculated with it. I had fun. Some of them really made me think since I didn't have such a strong foundation from the first instalment of the games, but I've picked up plenty. At this point, I'm willing to retract my former opinion of the regular Hexcells. It's zen, a nice betweener when going through bigger titles/really concentrated stories.

Game 24: Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3) - 26h
#When I first bought this game, it wasn't for the story. It was for Metal Gear Solid: Online. Fundamentally the best thing about these games. RIP servers. I never once have the main story a try, until now. It's amazing how much of an upgrade this title was from the first 3 MGS games: improved control, Snake's new camoflauge system/octocam, going between sneaking and going in guns blazing is more of a choice than ever. There's a better balance between play and story/clips, which is a lot of what I hated in the others since a lot of these cutscenes can be unbearably bland.

Game 25: Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes (X1) - 3h
#Mechanically, this game is great. Near flawless. Content wise? The main story is ridiculously short, but unlike say, Ryse: The Son of Rome, it doesn't get as much heat. I finished it within 20 minutes. Went back for side stuff (which can easily turn in 20 hours) but couldn't bring myself to continue. My feelings on this game aren't high, but I'm burnt out on MGS as you can tell by my most recently played on this list.

Game 26: Assassins Creed: Black Flag (X1) -18h
#I didn't bother so much with side quests, which is why the hours played is low. I finished the main story. It's. Ass Creed. Like every other AssCreed, you got your assassins, your templars, except now you have pirates. I like the combat on water - it took a bit to get used to at first, but after a while I got too into destroying every boat I came across. Character was more likeable, to me, than those in AC3. In fact, it surpasses the two before it by far in my books. I found that, this is one of the instalments that actually paid mind to the fact that you're an assassin. There were plenty missions/side quests in which you had to go entirely undetected, without killing anyone/being caught, and that's what I found fundamentally better than the others in which you can take a slasher route and just kill anyone who stands in your way. Some things could be better, of course, like an increased range for enemies sighting you on water, and how much gold you earn since you're no longer just upgrading your character, but your ship as well. Those are insignificant, though, as time goes on and you become an untouchable beast on land and water.

*** will update MGS with hours and comments soon~

Games 27-52

Original post

OyqWgt3l.jpg

2. Wing Commander (PC)
The Vega system is safe from Kilrathi, though I admit to running from a few encounters. Pretty sure I missed the last ace.
The upside to retro PC games is that you can usually (but not always) get them to run on computers built two decades after their time. The downside is that there are almost always problems you wouldn't run into if you stuck an NES cart into an old NES. With the GOG release of Wing Commander, there are a few issues. Flight sticks need special attention, for example, because the default sensitivity is way too high.

But besides all that, the most significant issues with Wing Commander have to do with the intrinsic properties of the game engine itself, not any oddities from running the game on modern hardware. The game still chugs whenever you have to fight in an asteroid field, though you can manually increase the game's DOSBox performance with a hotkey. And there are issues with the sprite-based engine that I either ignored or tolerated as a kid, namely that I probably died from running into another ship about 80% of the time rather than getting shot down legitimately. The effect is especially bad with large ships, where you can run into a hitbox that's all but invisible to you until you fly right up to it and the sprite changes to show a destroyer in a space where there wasn't one before.

Besides all that, though, it's still the Wing Commander you once loved, warts and all. Maniac is still a little pissant. Most of the other pilots are still simplistic racial stereotypes ("bonjour I am Angel, would you like a baguette," "Konichiwa, I am Spirit," "Och, I'm Paladin, one day I'll be played by John Rhys-Davies"). And it still feels awesome when you land a string of mass driver hits on a Dralthi and it explodes into tiny bits of debris. That said, I'm hoping the sequel doesn't feel quite so antiquated when I fire it up.

Claiming this post.

Hopefully I'll be able to reduce my backlog this year. Mainly a PC player but also have a Wii U.

Will start with Limbo, a game I previously tried but never got very far into.

MidBoss

Game 1:
Disgaea 4: A Promise Revisited
-bought it during the NIS false alarm
-80 hours in. It never really ends. Done for now.

Game 2:
Danganronpa
-had it since day 1. No idea why I haven't played it yet. Time to start, I guess.
-On hold. I left my copy at home, a third of the planet away. This is why I go mostly digital.

Game 3:
Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
-Beat the game. Liked it better than Assassin's Creed. Might go for the platinum when I feel like it.

Game 4:
Game of Thrones, PS4
-Short and bittersweet. Should have bought the season pass. Can't wait for Ep2.

Game 5:
Saya no Uta
-Because GoT felt like a too-short visual novel.
-This counts as a game, right?
A really sick and twisted game
I loved it

Game 6:
Destiny of Spirits
-Felt like playing it again, for some reason.
-Played it at launch for a few days and just forgot about it. When I got back to it, I was given something like 300 cash currency from "Apology from the Admin" mails. Lol.

>>Screenshots for every game when I have the time/when I feel like doing it.

Murray97

What do you guys think about counting DLC? I'm playing through Forza Horizon 2: Storm Island DLC and I'm unsure if I want to count it once I'm done.

LGom09

What do you guys think about counting DLC? I'm playing through Forza Horizon 2: Storm Island DLC and I'm unsure if I want to count it once I'm done.

Up to you. I counted a couple DLCs last year (Dark Souls Artorias of the Abyss and Arkham City Harley Quinn's Revenge).

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Quick tally of my total games beaten as of December:

1. Persona 4 Arena Ultimax (got the Plat)
  2. DoDonPachi DaiOuJou Black Label Extra (1cc on Easy)
  3. Space Channel 5 Part 2 (beaten in Normal)
  4. The King of Fighters XIII Steam Edition (beat Arcade Mode and unlock all secret characters)
  5. Xblaze Code: Embryo (got the Plat)
  6. Muramasa Rebirth (cleared story mode with Momohime)
  7. BIT.TRIP RUNNER (finally beat this POS)
  8. Pokemon SoulSilver (beat Johto only)
  9. Streetpass: Monster Manor (cleared floor 30 and beat the final boss)
  10. Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (got the Plat)
  11. Theathrythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call (got all characters, beat all songs at least once, beat all AI battles, did everything basically)
  12. Under Night In-Birth EXE:Late (got the Plat)
  13. Pokemon Alpha Sapphire (beat main story and Delta Episode)
  14. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (beat main story)
  15. Silent Hill 3 (beat in Normal)
  16. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure HD Ver. (beat Arcade mode)
  17. Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition (beat with Lady and Trish on Devil Hunter difficulty)
  18. Hearthstone: Curse of Naxxramas DLC
  19. Hotline Miami (beat main story)
  20. BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma Extend (beat all Extend-exclusive story modes)
  21. inFamous: Second Son (beat main story)
  22. Bayonetta 2 (beat main story on 2nd Climax)
  23. Persona 3 Portable (took me 14 months but I did it!)
  24. Splatoon (beat mains story, got to level 11, and rank C)
  25. Guilty Gear Xrd (cleared the story and arcade modes with all characters)
  26. Xblaze: Lost Memories (got the Plat)
  27. Persona 4 Dancing All Night (got the Plat)
  28. Hearthstone: Blackrock Mountain DLC
  29. Bug Princess 2 (1cc on normal, original mode)

batbeg

I'm doing it for real this year, I must slaughter my backlog! Finally got my laptop running well enough and working so that I can play my simpler graphic games on the bigscreen, so I'm trying to get into Ys Oath in Felghana for now. I also plan to hit up Ys II soon as I started that and never finished it. Captain Toad Treasure Trackers awaits me on Wii U, and Wild Arms on the PS3.

Must... persevere...!

Wensih

Finished Chrono Cross! Game #4! Also updated original post... I should probably stop posting after every new game, but I felt this one was a triumph.

4. Chrono Cross - 32 Hours 16 Minutes
#I thought it was a very worthy successor to Chrono Trigger. I loved the tropical Island setting and it had some amazing pre-rendered and sprite based environments. The large party roster was a little difficult to navigate, especially if you left important items/equipment on characters and switched them out of the party. I really enjoyed how they managed to tell a new story, but then incorporate a small plot point from Chrono Trigger to expand it into this epic sequel. It was a good way to spend my Christmas break. I'm glad I got to finish it before I head back to school on the 4th.

gogosox82

I'll do this. Maybe this will give me the motivation to get through this damn backlog.

IN PROGRESS:

Dark Souls 2 DLC PC ( 92 Hours)- So after getting disillusioned with the game I quit playing DS2. But I kept hearing how good the dlc was. So I broke down and bought it (the day before Scholar of the first Sin was announced. And if your wondering, yes I'm bitter that they are charging me $30 for the the dx11 version when they could obviously just patch that version like they are doing with all of the other gameplay tweaks). So I have finished the first two areas and I must say the people who said the dlc fixes the problems with the main game are wrong. Its still has the same issues with hit tracking and feeling a bit laggy in general when compared to DS1 but I'll admit the boss fights have been much better and more challenging than the base game and I've enjoyed them. I still have the winter area to do so maybe that place will blow me away and I'll totally change my opinion but for me the dlc slightly better but still has the same two steps forward, one step back issue the vanilla game had.

Dragon Age: Inquisition PC (60 hours)- So I got this at launch but unfortunately it had a lot of performance issues. Crashes, bugged dialogue, stuttering in cut scenes so I decided to wait for a patch. Path came and fixed a lot of the issues but I had kind of lost my steam on playing it so I think that killed my drive to keep playing it unfortunately. I would play for like an hour every or day which isn't a lot of time in this game which is why its several months later and I still haven't beaten it. I think I'm near the end though (at least it feels like it). Though I think the game having performance probably effected my opinion of the game, I think that this game would be much better if it was half as long as there is a lot of fluff and way too much gating of content. I feel like the open world should just be completely optional and give you stuff to do when you get tired of doing missions instead of tying it to progress (ie do x side missions to open up this main mission). Good game so far, but too much fluff like I said.

Up Next:

Dead Space Series - I have all three games now so I plan on starting as soon as DS2 dlc is done.
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Heard this one was long though, may just skip the side quests to finish it in a reasonable time
Far Cry 3 - I've had this game for years now but have only played an hour or so. Like what I've played so far.
Divinity OS- Played about 3 hours but got side tracked. Amazing game though.
Dark Souls 1- Playing for relaxing/getting all achievements now that its on steam.

Dr. Buni

Game #1: Earthbound (Wii U VC / Started it last week)
I'm at Fourside right now. I REALLY want to finish this game and have been loving it so far.
Please, do it! It is such an amazing game and it only gets better. You will love it even more.

Game #1:

header.jpg

Platform: Steam
Duration: Started 12/26/14 - 1/3/15
Completed: 17 hours. Unlocked all single player achievements.
Thoughts: A fun little twin-stick shooter. Lots of light puzzle platform action and some nice gameplay mechanics. Had a fun time blasting all the enemies in the game, especially when you go back to certain areas with stronger weapons. I will revisit this game in order to complete the co-op campaign and achievements.

For Game #2, I think I will choose...

header.jpg

LGom09

Original post.

header.jpg

#2. Pixeljunk Shooter (PC) -- January 3 -- 3:54:00
It's fun to just mess around with the physics engine. Neither the puzzle aspect nor the shooting aspect are very challenging, so it's basically mindless fun. There are a good amount of unique ideas, but most of the levels look the same, so it becomes a little bit repetitive. The "shooter" part is just okay and wouldn't really stand on its own, but the bosses are pretty good. I give it a rating of YELLOW on my top secret review scale.

Yay! My first game completed this year!

Game 1: Sonic the Hedgehog - 5 hours (estimated)
I played this on Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection (PS3). I'll probably be finishing a lot of games on this collection since I've got renewed interest in Genesis games thanks to the Genesis/Mega Drive Collected Works book.

Ever since I started retrogaming, I've tried beating the original Soinc off and on for years. Sonic just hasn't appealed to me. I decided to beat it out of a sense of duty more than anything else. I didn't really have much fun throughout most of my play through because it feels like you're only in control of Sonic 50% of the time and the game is just shuttling you around the level for the other 50%. Sonic's control is also really strange and numb. I still don't get it. I wouldn't even say "it hasn't aged well" because I'm the patient type so I usually don't hold a game back based on the age of its mechanics. I really think that had I played it when it was new I still wouldn't have liked it. I'm debating whether to play Sonic 2 and 3 or just stop with Sonic here.

Oh well, not the best start but it's a start nonetheless. I agree with a post from above, I don't see the utility in posting every time a game is beaten, I'll try to post next time when I've beaten at least 3 to 4 games.

EDIT: Hey, another one!

Game 2: Congo Bongo - 17 minutes to beat it, spent an hour trying to get a better score
True fact: one of my first memories in life was sitting on my dad's knee while he played a port of this game on Commodore 64. My dad always hated when I played video games so it's an odd memory that has always stood out to me. Again, this one was played on Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, it's a port of the arcade original, an unlockable extra. I don't remember too much about the Commodore version but I certainly remember it being easier than this arcade version. I read in Retrogamer that the Commodre 64 version was one of the bad ports for this game, it cut our some of the stages. This game is hard as hell! Of course it is because it was a quarter muncher. But even after beating the game, it restarts and it's even harder! I can't get anywhere after that! It's also in that shitty isometric perspective, which causes the most headaches control-wise and you will get cheap deaths by enemies or objects that aren't in your character's plane of existence, which sucks.

The story is cool, a gorilla burns a safari-guy's tent while he's asleep, so in retaliation, the safari-guy chases down the gorilla through several stages and finally sets his balls on fire. Seriously, I know it's 8-bit graphics, but I could swear he gets that flame and applies it straight to his crotch. I had never been able to get to that point to see the last animation so that was a satisfying moment, it's probably one of the first arcade titles to have an "ending" and an end screen. It says: "CONGRATULATIONS !! GOOD !!" There's some other cool stuff that I noticed too. I didn't know that in the first stage if all three monkeys grab onto you, they'll throw your ass off the waterfall. I was laughing my head off when I saw that! I didn't expect it! Overall, okay game. I'll forgive its faults because even though the challenge is usually unfair, it's very satisfying to get to the next stage.

Top score: 22,970

Game 3: Manos: The Hands of Fate (iOS) - 41 minutes 30 seconds according to the game but I know I've sunk in at least 3 to 4 hours playing the game on and off
This was a really fun game! I love the subject matter and how they pay tribute to Z movies and NES games. I had to play this because I like the cult movie it's based on, which was made in my home town of El Paso! The retro aesthetics are just icing on the cake.

Unfortunately though, the controls are simple but horrible. This game is my "Exhibit A" to show that touch controls suck ass. And the game doesn't work with iCade or ipega controller devices. Still, I don't regret playing this game. When it wasn't frustrating, it was damn fun. I'm missing one of the crystal hands, so I might replay to get all and see how it changes the ending or whatever.

Game 4: Apache Air Assault (PS3) About 7 hours
This is an awesome game. I love Gaijin Studios so it was nice to see such an early entry into their air combat series. Some missions are way too difficulty with with player juggling several objectives and fighting dozens of enemies alone. Otherwise, I loved it, might even play it again. Helicopter vs. helicopter dogfighting is way more fun than it should be!

Game 5: Starfox 2 (SNES, via Android) 40 mintues
This is the game that was infamously canceled by Nintendo before released and leaked in near complete form. I was surprised it took so little time to beat, and I only died once. There are some great ideas and gameplay in this one but after playing it I'm not surprised at their decision to withhold its release. The main problem is the game's length, there's tons of good gameplay and you can tell its doing stuff the SNES had no business doing, but its only in short bursts. The 3D has all the problems with early 3D games- control issues and getting stuck in walls is common. Overall, this game had potential but I'm glad they used it as a learning experience and saved all of that for Starfox 64.

Game 5: Duet (iOS) 6-7 hours
I got this game for free a few months ago and it's one of my favorite games this entire year. The gameplay is simple, but it's old-school hard. I really felt a sense of accomplishment after beating each section. The narration is actually pretty compelling and the titles of the sections show that the game has themes involving depression and recovery. Very eerie. Overall, a great game and I can already tell my reflexes and ability to sense patterns has improved. A great game for retrogamers.

Game 6: Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) 14 hours
I finally played it and beat it. It's a great game, I found myself smiling constantly. As someone who hasn't played a Mario game since Mario 64, this was a refreshing update on the same type of gameplay and it really blew me away. I really want to play Galaxy 2 now.

Game 7: Disaster Report (PS2) 5 hours
I played this game out of duty, because I really want to play its sequel, Raw Danger, because I heard many good things about it. The two games aren't really connected to the point where you have to play one after the other and I've read that you should skip the first one if you want to. But I'll be making a video about them so I thought it was best that I do check out the first game.

I almost wish I had skipped it. The game has you trying to survive and get to safety while a natural disaster sinks a man made island you're on. You have a backpack with supplies that you have to manage, but it never really becomes a critical part of the gameplay. There's not really a lot of survival gameplay aside from the regular move your ass to escape the falling buildings and whatnot. Most of the game consists of what I would call "lock-pick gameplay" it's like a point and click adventure, there's a single solution to solving a puzzle and the game won't let you progress until everything is put in place, only then will the new path open up to you. There's some interesting set pieces but the city seems so empty. You rarely encounter other survivors. There's a few action and stealth sections that feel tacked on to justify the yawn-worthy twist ending and overall I thought this game was "meh." There's multiple endings but I don't feel like unlocking any of them. I just got regular ending #1.

Game 8: Sky Crawlers (Wii) 8 hours
I LOVE THIS GAME. I also like the anime it's based on. I've watched the movie and I thought it was one of the best anime movies I've ever seen, right next to Akira. I would get tons of flack for that if people actually read the 52 games in a year section because the movie has a lukewarm fanbase. I don't care, I loved it. The movie, and this game, really reminded me graphic novel-like narrative from Ace Combat 4.

As a fan of the entire PS2 Ace Combat trilogy, I was amazed to discover this game and find out it was made by the same Project Aces team. It really shows, it is like an alternate history WWII Ace Combat game. That's exactly what I always wanted. Bravo! My dream game was made! ... Almost... The controls let this game down. They tried to be bold and use the Wii-mote nunchuck as a flightstick and throttle and it plainly doesn't work. You can't get the plane to do anything you want it to do. It is an absolute necessity to play this game with the Pro controller. Even then it's not perfect. You can't adjust the controls on the Pro and the rudder is stuck to the D-pad, so good luck using the controls in expert mode. It's unusual for me, but I used normal mode, which gives you controls similar to Rogue Squadron. Not too bad, I can deal with it. The game wasn't that difficult but everything else was awesome. I want to hug whomever came up with the idea for this game and hiring Project Aces to work on it, then punch whomever came up with the controls.

Game 9: Pony Express (Google) 15 min.

It's a nice little browser game. Somewhat frustrating because you have to memorize the route in order to get all the pieces of mail and if you hit anything you lose a piece. I got all 100 pieces and learned about the first delivery of the pony express!

pony_xpress.jpg

Game 10: Super Metroid (SNES) 7 hours 2 minutes according to the game

Just finished this game and WOW it was great. Definitely one of the best in the genera but I was a little disappointed it wasn't as epic as I thought it would be. Honestly, I thought both GBA Metroid games were better so I blame nostalgia for the rabid fanbase around this game. But I can tell it was hot shit back in the SNES era. My favorite part is when you first arrive on the planet and all the bugs scatter away when you enter a room and the eye-light thingy and statures stare at you, it's such a strange feeling to play a game where you're a foreigner on an alien planet. So creepy!

I got lost a few times but nothing major and usually it was because the stupid game didn't tell me I could just walk through a solid rock wall. Ugh. I also got stuck at the n00b tube. I thought the final boss battle was anti-climactic. There wasn't a lot of skill required, it was more like a cutscene which felt really strange compared to the other boss battles in the game. I did like the traditional Metroid hurry-your-ass-to-the-ship final sequence. Not a bad game and while it didn't live up to the hype everyone gives it, I would recommend it to anyone.

Now I've got an itch for Metroidvanias again. I'm planning on playing Hero Core soon.

Game 11: PKA CHU (plug & play console) 5 minutes, 59 seconds

This game is a clone of Super Mario Bros. from China and just has the sprites slightly altered. Usually for the worse. The title is deliberate to try to cash in on kids thinking the game is related to the Pokemon universe but none of the sprite swaps have any relation to pokemon except for the main character who looks like Pikachu. I don't know if it was intentional but Princess Toadstood looks like she's in blackface, which was really shocking the first time I saw it.

The controls are horrible and it dented my thumbs pretty quickly. The music is absolute torture.

I played this for a while before being able to speed run it. I got my time down to just a hair under 6 minutes.

Watch the speedrun here

Game 12: Mega Man 2 (NES) 1 hour, 21 minutes

Before today I had never beat Mega Man 2 outside of an emulator. I wasn't the biggest fan when I beat it before but now that I've beat it on the cartridge I have a lot more respect for it. I'm starting to wean myself off emulators and back onto the real deal. I had such a sensation of joy after beating this game. Truly a beautiful game, both in looks and sound, and one of the greatest of all time.

All of these are arcade games I played while I was on vacation. It was a cheap Chinese emulator. It was nice to replay these, I've played almost all of them before, and it was a great time killer. I think they each took about 45 minutes to an hour to complete.

Game 13: Metal Slug
I love me some Metal Slug. Such great art style. I plan to play through the rest of them this year as well. It might be one of the few game series' that had consistent quality throughout. Except for that one that ran slow and needed to be fixed with Metal Slug X (I think it was 3?? I'll find out)

Game 14: Progear
I'm not the biggest fan of bullet hell shoot em ups. In fact, I hate them and it's probably why I avoid the shoot em up genre in general. This one started out all right but I hate it when a game is cheap and just fills the screen with shots that are unavoidable. Yeah, I know you can probably find a kid on YouTube doing a one credit run of this game but seriously, for 99% of the population, it's impossible and getting into that 1% just isn't fun. This game had a pretty good art style but the levels and boss attacks were too similar.

Game 15: The Punisher
This is a great arcade beat em up and it really got me interested in The Punisher back in the day. It's still as good as I remember it.

Game 16: Warriors of Fate
This game is okay. It was enjoyable and the sprites look great. I couldn't get into the story though and the stages were too similar. It was also really long, probably the longest game here. It's okay but I wouldn't play it again.

Game 17: Mega Man The Power Battles
I had always heard that this game sucked and should be avoided. I've only played it here and there and I thought it was okay. Now I tried a play through and yeah, it sucks. It's too easy and it has very little of the boss power rock-paper-scissors mechanic that's the trademark of the Mega Man series. You can really make it through the whole game with just the mega buster. The stages and bosses look alright but the menus make it look like a flash game, it really makes it look like they didn't give a shit about this game.. Such a missed opportunity.

Game 18: Cadillacs and Dinosaurs
I LOVE this game. I've seen a thread about "what game do you play every year" or something. I'm not the type that gives myself a schedule or a goal to replay a certain game every year. But looking back on it, I actually do play Cadillacs and Dinosaurs every year without even planning it. I love this game so much, it is the perfect beat em up for me. I need to look up the comic and see if it's worth it to get into that universe.

Game 19: Final Fight
This is a classic and while it's good, I think it's overrated compared to everything else out there. It's okay but the bosses can be annoying.

Game 20: Captain Commando
This game sucks. The characters look ridiculous and not in a funny way, with the exception of Baby Commando. He's awesome. The worst part though is that the final boss is the most aggravating quarter munching boss I've ever seen. He's so cheap and it really made me want to turn off the game. The whole game feels uninspired. C'mon "Captain Commando"? Who the hell thought of that stupid name?! It sounds like a knock off G.I. Joe action figure.

Game 21: Fallout 3: GOTY (PS3) not sure, 50 hours approx.
I have been addicted to this game for the past week. It's all I've played and it was getting kinda scary because I was spending so much time with the game, which isn't like me. It wasn't due to the Fallout 4 announcement, it was just a game I wanted to get off the backlog. I loved everything about it though. I though the story was incredible. I always heard that people were disappointed with the ending. I didn't spoil it for myself, but I was very happy with the way it ended and I caught myself with a smile from ear to ear. The last ability I got was the explorer perk so I can see that I've only explored like half the game. But really I don't mind that. I'll probably explore some more but I'm not going to be the type of person who 100% completes the game. I'll probably run through the extra GOTY content but that'll probably be the extent of it. Overall, it's an amazing game and I'd recommend it to anyone. It did freeze on me a few times and every now and then it would freeze for like 3 seconds but it didn't happen frequently enough to be a huge issue for me.

Game 22: Sub-Terrania (Genesis) 40 minutes or so for a playthrough
I never thought I would be able to beat this game. I love it, there's nothing else like it. It's like a mix between Lunar Lander and Choplifter. It is ball cracking hard. You basically have to go through every level as perfectly as possible so you can reach the final boss with enough health/lives/missiles/power-ups, otherwise you won't beat him. When I got to the final boss I didn't realize he had three different forms, the first time I destroyed his second form I was celebrating and got my ass killed. I did it on normal difficulty even though easy mode was tempting. After beating the game I tried out easy mode and I think it's even more aggravating, the only major difference is that your ship falls a lot slower which I think is a disadvantage because sometimes you need to fall quickly to reach things under you. The graphics and music are incredible in this game. It's even ranked like #13 or something in the top Genesis games of all time, I can't believe it never got a sequel. The only thing close to it that I can think of is Solar Jetman for NES, I was never able to beat that one either so maybe I'll give it another chance.

Game 23: Stranglehold (PS3) about 7 hours
This is pretty much John Woo Movies: The Game! I had a lot of fun. I will argue till I'm blue in the face that Hard Boiled is one of the best action movies of the 90's so it was awesome to find out that it has a bona fide sequel in the form of a PS3 game. It has everything you would expect- doves, dual-wielding pistols, jumping, strafing, slow-mo kills, and more doves! I was hoping the plot line wouldn't be the typical campy video game cheesiness since John Woo collaborated on this, but it's the same shit you'd find in any other shooter. But then I realized that most John Woo films aren't much better than campy video game plot lines, so I don't have much of a problem with it. Sometimes the jumping/shooting/cover mechanics can be frustrating and the last boss battle is a little aggravating but overall I thought it was money well spent. A bonus is that the collector's edition I have includes the entire Hard Boiled movie, but it's not an HD remaster so that's kinda dumb.

Game 24: Hard Drivin' (Genesis) about 30 minutes
I'm not embarrassed of my game collection, but Hard Drivin' makes me do a little explaining. I was mesmerized by this game back when I was kid. I played it at a friend's house. I know 3D games existed long before it, but nobody really had a computer that could run stuff like that back then. So this was probably my first 3D game ever. Seriously, when I started collecting for Genesis I knew I wanted to get this game immediately. I don't recommend it to anyone, only freaks like me would find something enjoyable in it. The frame rate is seriously like 5 fps and actually gets worse if there's more things on the screen. It also has early 3D polygons and I mean EARLY 3D shit, it's like everything was made out of Duplo blocks. According to the cover, you're supposed to be driving a Ferrari Testarossa, but in the game it looks like a Chrysler K-Car. There's also no sound, which feels odd for a Genesis game.

I've always just played around with the game and had fun because I never understood the objectives. The open world feeling really reminds me of playing GTA games, with a little Gran Tourismo mixed in. But just puttering around the world really helped me become good at it. One friend who remembers the game was actually amazed that I do so well in it. So this time I decided to try to complete the game. It's actually really short, all you do is complete two laps without running out of time. Then when you eventually do run out of time the game will tell you that Phantom Photon challenges you to a race. If you can beat him you won. Then you input your name into the high scores and go back to the title screen. After that you can complete another two laps in the regular game and when you do that it'll tell you that the name you entered into the high score is now challenging you to a race. You beat him [yourself??] and the process repeats itself.

It doesn't sound difficult but the gameplay is very challenging. The hit detection sucks so sometimes it feels unfair when you crash and because of the low frame rate it feels like the game has lag. But it's just such a fun game for me to play and I'm glad I finally figured out how it works. I found out the Saturn got the last game in this series but it was only released in Japan. I want to get my hands on it because it doesn't seem to have the low frame rate problem.

Game 25: F-Zero (SNES) about 10 hours playing the game
This is a pretty good game. I have the PAL version because that's just what they had when I went to a retro shop, but I don't see any difference between this and the NTSC version. I like this game, it can be pretty hard at the later difficulties but I was able to finish the game and overall I'm kinda meh about it. It's a nice time waster because the leagues don't take too long. I wish the racers had more difference between them, but they all feel the same.

Game 26: Super Mario Bros. (NES) 6 minutes, 30 seconds
I've gotten pretty good at speed running this game. I plan to get a lot of practice in it so that whenever I go to game conventions or just hanging out with people I can speed run it on the first try. I'm usually able to get pretty close to 6 minutes on the dot. I love the ending theme, it's so simple but it's so satisfying to get to it, it's like the perfect fairy tale out-tro. The whole game has incredibly simple but amazing music.

Game 27: Rocket Knight Adventures (Genesis) 8 hours approx
This is an excellent game. It's not too long and I never had to look at an FAQ, the game is very fair. I love the pixel art and this game has some of the best design of its era or even today. The game isn't too difficult but some boss battles are a little aggravating until you get the hang of them. I was really happy to play this game, I've had it in the backlog for a long time. I also want to try out the sequel but I hear it's not as good. I think it's on the Sonic Genesis Collection, so I'll see how it plays because this first one is fantastic. It's so sad to see all weird smaller titles Konami worked on knowing they've left the business for the most part.

Last year I started and finished 110 games (as in earned all achievements/trophies), and wrapped up 2 others carried over from 2013.

This year I don't think I'll even hit 100 start-to-finish completions.

Declining...

Dr. Buni

Original Post

Game #3: Super Mario Sunshine

ECxiDpN.png

The best example of a game with untapped potential. There are a lot of cool stuff in Sunshine (like the theme, F.L.U.D.D, the Yoshi mechanics), but ultimately the game just doesn't work as well as the other Mario 3D titles. Plus, the soundtrack is kinda bad (aside from Delfino Plaza and Ricco Harbor themes, I can't think of other great tracks in the game). Also, I find baffling that some people like the F.L.U.D.D.-less levels in this game, because I think they were by far the worst aspect of the game. I think Sunshine is the weakest entry in the Mario 3D series, but a well planned HD remake could make it one of the bests. I think.

Edit:

Game #4: Little Inferno

2ofxMw7.png

While it isn't bad, it is far too artsy for my tastes. Also, it can barely be called a game.

NmjYXT3.jpg

Just a part of my backlog I want to get through this year. I'll mainly be focusing on single-player games or games that I feel have definite ends (such as ending credits). For example, If I re-visit Final Fantasy XIV, completing the story quests would be my goal, even though the quests themselves just get you ready for the actual endgame. While I do play them, I won't include 'endless games' (majority of mobile games, certain puzzles games, etc), just because those are games with no real end.
------------------------------
Completed Games:
1. Killzone 2 - 6 hours @ 1/3/15
2. Killzone 3 - 6 hours @ 1/4/15
3. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons - 4 hours @ 1/17/15
4. Freedom Wars - 35 hours @ 1/23/15
5. Fate/Extra - 40 hours @ 1/30/15

Schlomo

1. Bayonetta 2 (Wii U) - 1.1.2015
2. The Inner World (PC) - 3.1.2015
3. Year Walk (PC) - 5.1.2015
4. Castlevania LOS 2 Revelations DLC (PC) - 6.1.2015
5. Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor (PS4) - 11.1.2015
6. Escape Plan (PS4) - 16.1.2015
7. Art of Balance (Wii U) - 23.1.2015
8. Duck Tales (PS3) - 24.1.2015
9. Touch Kirby (DS) - 25.1.2015
10. Chaos on Deponia (PC) - 29.1.2015
11. Mario Club Picross Plus (3DS) - 16.2.2015
12. Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4) - 17.2.2015
13. Donkey Kong: Jungle Climber (DS) - 3.3.2015
14. Zombi U (Wii U) - 17.3.2015
15. Lara Croft: The Temple of Osiris (PC) - 21.3.2015
16. 80 Days (Android) - 27.3.2015
17. Resident Evil Revelations 2 (PS4) - 4.4.2015
18. Shovel Knight (3DS) - 28.4.2015
19. Ryse (PC) - 3.5.2015
20. Broken Age (PC) - 5.5.2015
21. Splatoon (Wii U)
22. TowerFall Ascension: Dark World (PS4) - 19.7.2015
23. Hydroventure: Spin Cycle (3DS) - 4.8.2015
24. Aaru's Awakening (PS4) - 27.8.2015
25. XenobladeX (Wii U) - 29.8.2015
26. Crysis 3 (PC) - 5.9.2015
27. Xeodrifter (PS4) - 7.9.2015
28. Picross e6 (3DS) - 8.9.2015
29. Yoshi's Woolly World (Wii U)
31. Penta Tentacles (Wii)
30. Super Mario Maker (Wii U)
31. Super Time Force Ultra (PS4) - 24.10.2015
32. Hiku Dasu (3DS) - 24.10.2015
33. Zelda: Tri Force Heroes (3DS)
34. Armikrog (PC) - 2.12.2015

Currently playing:
The Witcher 3 (PC)
Metal Gear Solid V (PC)
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call (3DS)
Rittai Picross 2 (3DS)
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (3DS)
Luigi's Mansion 2 (3DS)
Toybox Turbos (PC)
FAST Racing Neo (Wii U)

Cryxok

I'm curious, did you ever try Guacamelee? It's similar yet different, from what I heard; dunno about Outland, but Guacamelee is great.

Heard it's very repetitive and has no innovative ideas, that's why I avoided it till now. Is it true?

That's an euphemism. Nintendo seems capable to only create annoying dogs (like Poochy and the Duck Hunt Dog).
I haven't played it that much but I guess it is kinda repetitive. Outside of the map and the mayor, everything between Towns 1 and 2 is the same, NPCs included; they add more monsters but I'm not sure they feel that diverse. If it keeps this way, then yeah, it'll feel very repetitive.

As for "innovative", well, to me the gameplay itself is innovative which is why I liked the concept enough to buy the sequel without finishing the first one. It is a bit rough around the edges but I found it fun enough to be worth it's price.
Please, do it! It is such an amazing game and it only gets better. You will love it even more.
Will do. Bought it as soon as it was made available in the VC. Wish I could've played it when it came out (I was just a year old by then tho).

Caramello

Completion Update: Game 1

iI9D3Ah.jpg

Metroid Fusion

Duration: 11 hours and 5 minutes

# Played for a total of 12 hours and 15 minutes with 11 hours and 5 minutes in 2015. Completed at 6:40AM on Sunday 4/1/15 and reached the credits.

QUICK REVIEW

Metroid Fusion is an imperfect Metroid title that leaves me longing for more. With an outstanding pedigree, Metroid Fusion does a great job at creating an atmosphere that is quintessentially Metroid. The Alien inspiration is evident as is the classic top notch Nintendo gameplay that all of their best games have at the core of their experience. It's simply fun to run, jump and roll around the 'world' Nintendo has created here while getting more and more powerful as you progress. All of your upgrades are as useful in combat as they are in exploration and the game gives great incentive to experiment with new abilities or weapons you come across.

The striking use of colour is used to great effect to differentiate between areas and the enemy design, particularly the boss design, is a highlight . Sound design is as strong as you'd expect from Nintendo and the music is distinctively Metroid.

Moving on to boss design, this game is tough! There were a few times I had to use a guide as with everything going on it was sometimes difficult to figure out which weapon or weapon variation I was supposed to be using. Even when I knew what I had to do, it was a real challenge to be able to actually do it well enough to overcome the challenge and survive.

The lack of save stations right before boss rooms was frustrating as were the controls, particularly when trying to figure out how to beat a boss. I found myself being just a fraction of a second too slow to land a hit quite a few times due to the controls. These points could easily be addressed in a sequel with an expanded control scheme and the use of checkpoints at the beginning of boss fights or save stations close by. I feel that the difficulty is mostly where I'd want it be however less guesswork would be welcome, particularly considering this is a portable title.

Overall I think there is definitely room for improvement in future titles but this is a gem. If you own the ambassador version on Nintendo 3DS and have yet to play it, you owe it to yourself to give it a shot.

Original Post

Game 4: Soul Calibur V -
Started :12/29/14
Finished :1/3/15

x4KqDob.jpg

After a friend suggested that we buy this game so we have another multiplayer game, I bit. Soul Calibur V is my first of the series, and honestly, I'm quite pleased. The gameplay mechanics themselves take some getting used to, be it that the game takes place on a 3D plane. Either take out your opponents life force, or knock them off. Boom, simple enough. The story of the game is short, lasting around 2 hours at most. The game's story is told through both cutscenes and still images with text. The cutscenes look very nice, but sadly, they do not make up the majority. Arcade mode is weak and feels a little lazy. Character customization is really cool in terms of how detailed you can make the appearance of your character, but in reality they're just clones of the starting roster. I had no problems with the netcode in online, and the game was fun to play. I will say, however, that I had no pleasant experiences with the online community, with the majority of them being much better at the game than myself, and intentionally rubbing it in, or being very salty after a loss. It's a good game, but it's nothing to get too crazy over. Also, some layer of clothing are broken after certain rounds during fights. Why?

Hours Played : 5

Overall Score : 6.5

"Play it if you're into fighting games"

dani_dc

Completed:

header.jpg

Game 1: AsteBreed - 2.5 hours

Beat chapter 1-5 in a row, beat chapter 6 later on via select chapter.
Might replay it for higher scores and to play it with different settings (difficulty/mechas)

QIzGLnk.jpg

Game 2: Super Mario 3D World- 25 hours

Beat all levels, got all the stars, only missing the 5 stamps that are given for beating every level with every character.

mi2MJwH.jpg

Game 3: Huniepop - 10 hours

Beat game with all girls, thought on this game here.

2VaEKb7.jpg

Game 4: SMT IV- 40 hours [Started last year]

Beat the game on Law route.

Currently Playing:
-Nekopara

Halted Half-way through but hope to finish this year
-SMT IV
-SMT. Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers

kitzkozan

It was about time that I knocked Xcom enemy within out of my backlog. :]

Completed:

Game 1: Xcom enemy within - ~ 50 hours played I will replay it again since it's a game which rely on gameplay and tactical combat. I must try an higher level of difficulty + various settings which will make it even more interesting.

Game 2: Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall - I'll have to play the director version of it next year, but it's a very solid game and vast improvement over Dead's man switch. A simple, but very well executed crpg with adequate tactical combat (which is nowhere near as deep or involved as Xcom, but understandable given their budget limitation).

Game 3: Shadowrun Returns (Dead's man switch campaign) - I knew it wasn't viewed as being a solid campaign next to Dragonfall, but still a decent enough experience. The basic are there which make it tolerable, along with being rather short which is fitting for the 52 games challenge lol.

Game 4: Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes - I pre-ordered MGSV so it's great to have a possible save game for the main supper and I'll probably play it some more before I start the phantom pain.

Game 5: Brothers - A solid indie game, with more gameplay feedback than Journey. It's somewhat in the same vein and I find it interesting that it's being made by a movie director, but it's greatest asset is being yet another short experience. ;)

Game 6: Walking Dead season 1 + 400 days - Bought the season 2 which I will possibly play in October, so I just wanted to refresh my memory of it. I don't think it deserved to win any GOTY award, but it's still an experience which allow them to be more productive and they deserve to have this niche among the industry where they create these Tales of Borderland offspin.

Game 7: Wolfenstein TNO - Excellent FPS campaign and among the best one in the last 4-5 years imo. I want to play the new blood in the upcoming months, even if I heard about it having some problems.

Game 8: Guilty Gear Xrd - I still think it's the modern interpretation of a classic FG series to beat so far. A great entry point for the next chapter of GG which should only get better with Revelator given the upcoming characters and mechanics. Street Fighter V will give it a run for it's money or possibly be my go to game for the next 5 years if they keep working at it however. :]

Game 9: The Witcher - It was about time that I completed this game lol. I still haven't bought Witcher 3 and have yet to complete the second chapter, but would love to finish the trilogy by the beginning of next year so I can actually include it in my GOTY list. :p

Game 10: Ultra Street Fighter IV - SFV gave me the motivation to finally sink in a fair amount of hours into USFIV multi, which I did. I even completed arcade mode with the newest characters and the game is legit despite all the complaints we can direct at it (and it's got a lot of obvious design flaws). It still a very solid competitive title that has been able to endure for years and it's still the top dog of the FGC.

Game 11: Batman Arkham City (game of the year version) - Rocksteady does suffer somewhat from the Ubisoft syndrome of packing it's semi open world game with too much redundant crap. It doesn't sink the game or anything, since it's still the solid Batman Arkham asylum approach toward resolving sidequests (in detective mode) and the combat system will always blow AC out of the water. Even the boss battles are improved from AA, so there's a fairly good amount of pluses in the game. The Harley Quinn DLC is very short, so I can understand why many people were probably disappointed by it back in 2012 at full price.

Game 12: Demon's Souls - I actually sold my greatest hit version since the case tend to break apart easily since it's made of recycled plastic or something, so I bought back a black label version. :p It's worth it to me because it's a classic of the PS3 / 360 era which started the FromSoftware arpg phenomenon. Excellent game with carefully planned level design and enemy placement. As a perfectionist, I can't help but appreciate a team which pay the utmost attention to seemingly every details which is the main strength of a Miyazaki directed videogame.

Game 13: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - I'm curious to see how the first chapter is improved in the PS4 collection. The game itself is decent enough, but marred with flawed controls as everyone who played it before know. The melee combat is especially sloppy, but otherwise it's the modern Naughty Dogs formula executed well (great technical display, amazing looking setpieces and solid writing for the genre).

Game 14: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - The best entry in the Uncharted series so far, since it's got amazing stage to play in and very inspired setpiece moments (along with incredible tech which is the trademark of ND). The gameplay mechanics being vastly improved from the original also help, and the multiplayer is still active despite a relatively low playerbase. I'm looking forward to earning the platinum on the PS4 version.

Game 15: Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception - Yeah, it's a step back from U2 and it's easy to understand why when you play them back to back. It's still got incredible setpiece moments, but ND also tried somethings which didn't pan out well imo. Chapter 18 is the weakest in the trilogy for me, and they really overdid it with environmental hazard breaking apart everywhere and everytime. I'm not that big on storytelling and writing in games, but they didn't really deliver here as well with weak villains (under utilized and defined). Despite obvious flaws, it's still worth experiencing as one of the most impressive game from a technological perspective on the PS3 and it's got great chapters to play in.

Game 16: Resistance: Fall of man: I remembered that I hadn't finished the campaign, so might as well get it over with and add another one toward the goal. :] I still don't understand how or why Ted Price was thinking that they had a better IP than Halo in their hands, but it's a solid FPS. The graphics haven't aged well and the level design is generic and forgettable, but I like the guns that you can use in single player or multi. It's a trademark of Insomniacs that you will have fun and inspired weapon to use (in Resistance or Ratchet and Clank). Unlocking new weapons if you want to experience the campaign again is a nice touch, but I'll leave it for next year as I'm going to try and complete the trilogy by year's end.

Game 17: Killzone (PS3 version): Since I completed my playthrough of Resistance which I started last year, I did the same with Killzone. I'm sure I'll look back at this one once I play Horizon and here's hoping that I can say: GG has come a long way in term of creating single player experience which are satisfying. The multi of Killzone 2 was solid, but they have yet to make a truly engaging shooter campaign. Killzone had something going for it with the 4 people squad, but the sequels lacked an identity outside of the great art design. I feel like they should of went with the ideas present in the original, where you pick a squad member who's equipped with his unique weapon or skill for any given chapter. The game hasn't aged very well and it's a sloppy mess in numerous ways (you often die in one shot from explosives which you often don't see coming lol, braindead enemy AI and the level design isn't good), but it's interesting to experience a game which was barely playable on it's console of origin.

I'll make a new post for what should be game #18 to 34.

Working on:

Game: Bayonetta

Game: Bastion

Game: Limbo

Game: Metal Gear Rising

Game: Bloodborne

Game: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (never played it)

Game: Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (might as well play it before I dive into MGS V)

Game: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Game: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Game: The Witcher 3: Wild hunt

Game: Vanquish

Game: Ducktales remastered

Game: Transistor

Game: Walking Dead season two

Game: The Wolf Among Us

Game: Tomb Raider definitive edition

Game: God of War saga (5 games)

Game: Batman Arkham Origins

Game: GTA V

This is always in a state of flux since I've got real life matter to attend to or I'll decide to scale back on AA / AAA titles in favor of shorter indies if I fall back too much given a lack of free time. I don't think I'll hit 52 since I more or less stopped playing for the better part of 3 months, but hitting 40 would be the equivalent of 52.

NuclearTurtle

Neo Member
Finished:

Game 01: Dragon Age Inquisition - 40 hours
A worthy BioWare game! Best mix of story, unique places / missions, and open worldish freedom I think I've ever seen in a game. This is Witcher 2 scaled up.

Game 02: Antichamber - 8 hours
One of the best puzzle games I've ever played. I felt like a genius when I solved some of these puzzles. It does have a small amount of 'do I not have all the tools to do this yet, or am I just stupid?'. At one point I think I had a dozen or so unfinished puzzles, and only one of them was actually solvable with my current toolset. The rest became very manageable once I had finally solved the one puzzle needed to get my new tool. I got through about 70% of the game with no hints at all. Then I did look up a hint to unblock one puzzle and manged to get to around 85% again on my own. After that, the end game puzzles became pretty out there, and I wound up just looking them up so I could finish up. Overall though, Antichamber was an incredible puzzle game.

Game 03: Luftrausers - 5 hours

Game 04: Persona 4 Golden - 60 hours

Game 05: Forza Horizon 2 - 20 hours

Game 06. Bayonetta - 25 hours

Game 07. Mortal Kombat 9 - 11 hours

Game 08. Mortal Kombat X - 8 hours

Game 09. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - 70 hours

Game 10. 1001 Spikes - 30 hours (100%)

Game 11. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater - 15 hours

Game 12. Rocket League - 10 hours

Game 13. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - 15 hours

Game 14. Wolfenstein: The Old Blood - 6 hours

Game 15. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phanton Pain - 45 hours

Game 16. Bloodborne - 40 hours (100%)

Game 17. Disgaea 5 - 70 hours

Game 18. Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void - 15 hours (100% normal achievements)

Game 19. Persona 4 Arena - 20 hours

Game 20. The Order: 1886 - 7 hours

Game 21. Ori and the Blind Forest - 8 hours

Game 22. Halo: Combat Evolved (Master Chief Collection) - 8 hours

Shame the 2014 thread was closed so quickly. I won't bother to tally 2014 up as it would just upset me that I could have done those in 2015 instead. Especially as some short but craptacular RPGmaker games on Steam were on it (there were some good ones too like One Way Heroics...)

Without further ado let's get on with 2015:

Game 1: Hyrlue Warriors - I don't know, 15 hours?
I played on Normal difficulty and it was fairly easy. I saw the start of the end credits then hit the home button to take a break and upon resuming the game it decided to skip the credits, oh well I suppose I have to beat the final level again if I want to view them (or just look on youtube). The side content on this is so substantial it could count as games on its own, I bought the complete DLC pack too which gives me even more of this. It would really lend itself to 10 minute sessions if the game didn't have loading times and the Wii U was faster at booting up (even the quick start menu feels slow).

Update 2: Ace Attorney: Dual Destines
I played just the
cases that are the base package. I don't own the DLC and if I do play it I'll put it into a category of "doesn't count as a new game but counts because reasons" section. So what did I think of it? It felt like it was going through the motions for the most part. It had a few nice surprises. I also found myself confused in how it
did nothing to advance any of the plot thread Apollo Justice introduced, although I'm told that is down to this game being from a different writer
. I did like that the polygon graphics were really well done, the animations are true to the spritework and it avoids the awkward look Phoenix Wright and co suffered in previous attempts (e.g. Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney).

Game 3: Words for Evil - I spent about 3 hours going through the game on Zen difficulty (I've heard in Pro difficulty enemies attack too fast).
It looked like interesting bundle trash and it serves its purpose well but like so many other bits of bundle trash it just needs that little bit extra touching up. The default view reeks of mobile phone port, no problem I can put the graphics to wide...which apparently still isn't 16:9. Other issues are I can buy stat boosts but I can't actually see the stats being raised in most cases and for being a word game is it a shame you can't actually see what words you have used (yet it still seems to track this is the statics window is to be believed...I'm getting flashbacks of Mario Kart 8 coins here). As far as replay value goes I've got some more party members to unlock. The last level is endless so I quit after beating the final boss and getting the last book (which maxes your party members levels...sadly the one party member that needed this most died during the final battle leaving the other two who were practically there already).

Game 4. Picross-e. A fairly vanilla Picross experience as you would expect from the first in the eShop series. To be honest the laid back approach to it makes me want to replay Mario's Super Picross sometime (though I didn't spend 30 minutes of any of the puzzles in Picross-e it feels nice to have the clock ticking).

Game 5. Tengami. Splashes of David Wise music (which comes and goes a lot almost to the point you might want to stand still whenever it does start), awesome pop-up book art style (I would like for a Paper Mario game to done like this rather than occasional house of cards but mostly 3D models that Paper Mario is) what could go wrong? Well...the main character moves a bit slowly and even then the whole thing comes to end in around 90 minutes...if you don't get too stuck on the puzzles (which are generally very easy). There are two puzzles which I got a bit stuck on and they both happened to be (description)
combination locks
which require (hint)
careful observation of prior screens
to figure out (I missed a few of the clues so had to brute force them a little bit). I suppose the real thing Nyamyam have up their sleeve is they could just make it the iOS price for the other platforms (Wii U, Steam which are priced much higher as they consider them lower volume platforms and wouldn't break even otherwise and also more value there due to bigger screens...which really can't be overstated). There were 10 Miiverse stamps and I could only find 8. It is still something I enjoyed though and I suppose the saying goes, leave them wanting more. If you spot it in a future Steam sale or some sort of bundle for a price you don't mind an hour of your time for it might not be a bad thing to play (I think the wait for sale mentality of Steam means a game sells better if it is $10 but 50% off than it ever would if it was just $5 all the time) but if you like action and replay value in your games you might want to stay away. I've been told to check out Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP so that is bumped up the list.

Game 6. Block Legend DX. Why is this described as an RPG, it is closer to a rouguelike. As much a linear matching puzzle game can be one. I mean you have the feeling the game is rigged against you throughout be it equipment failing to work properly or bosses that hit way too hard and way too frequently and can't be killed quick enough either making them tense battles. Then the unlock costs of everything go up exponentially too as if this was a f2p game and wants you to buy them. Also poor cast balance (Ninja and Samurai have some very useful abilities so get those, good luck figuring of which they are though). Also as of V1.02 the infinite turns bug is fixed (which was really the only way to reliably beat bosses etc) but many other bugs are left. I'm going to close the curtain on this one. It is better to think of it as an arcade game rather than an RPG in that way frequent deaths feel more like the game (when I got fed up of that I got as far as I had found the infinite turns bug at that point and it got the point of all enemies basically being as strong as bosses). Bit hard to recommend really there are lots of better match puzzle games that actually are RPGs and there are funner pure matching puzzles. I kind of feel from all my time played I learned the only winning move was not to play.

"doesn't count as a new game but should count because reasons" Things that aren't full game so like DLC episodes and other substantial things
Game A1. Hyrule Warriors Adventure mode. "Hang on a sec, you already have Hyrule Warriors as Game 1? You're a lazy hack" Well, yeah but I kind of put over 100 hours into it suggesting these "side" modes are the main meat of the game. Plus some of them are DLC episodes! So adventure mode. Make your way through loads of challenges (each taking 1-20 minutes) selected from the Zelda 1 overworld map. You have to clear a square to select adjacent ones and there is also items and stuff (honestly farming for items is pretty annoying). Lots of new characters and weapons to unlock plus eventually a showdown with Ganon after which you get an end credits (I think these are different to the story mode ones but how I know considering the skipped out on me :( ).

Game A2. Hyrule Warriors Adventure mode - Master Quest. This is the first of the DLC maps. Here is where the three bonus characters Cia, Volga and Wizzro get better weapons along with more upgrades for the rest of the cast in the form of giant 8-bit sprites from Zelda 1. There are also character costumes to unlock (which are really recolors referencing various things so like you have Link Wearing a Purple tunic for example). Oh yeah it is also the Zelda 1 overworld again which is not exactly the best first impressions.

Game A3. Hyrule Warriors Adventure mode - Twilight Princess. This is the second of the DLC maps. It is not too fun due to enemies being very strong (maybe it is different if I grinded to level 200) to but thankfully we can end it quickly. The map is an 8-bit recreation of Zelda TP which is neat. I just took advantage of the Warps to get to Hyrule Castle and defeat Ganon and see those credits. Maybe I'll go back to unlock more stuff (costumes, 8-bit weapons) and do the other DLC stuff (Termina Adventure, challenge mode including playable Ganon) but I'm kind of on break now.

Game A4. Pokémon Y. Some people like to have a living Pokedex. That is Pokemon 001-719 and some people go for all variants here too. The problem with the living Pokedex is if you store it in your games you greatly limit the PC space you have, especially if you have variants in there. That is where people store these on Pokemon Bank. As I don't have access to Pokemon Bank I'm going for a breeding Pokedex instead which is one of each Pokemon which can breed and some Ditto to breed them with. Even with me having multiples of some (different movesets etc) I'm using up about 14 boxes (out of 31) but it feels really good to basically have everything on hand now (I even did egg moves for a lot them which is was quite the task and something I'm pleased I probably won't have to repeat for a long time, I'd imagine if you did this sort of thing in each gen and transferred up it would be quicker but I started Gen VI from scratch). I am in the process of transferring this over to my Omega Ruby game (play through in progress, caught enough to unlock 31 boxes in the PC at least though...which is 25 Pokemon actually :lol:)

XZIiCx7.jpg

Game #2 - Murasaki Baby
Quirky little game. Interesting controls and mechanics but they wore a little thin by the end. And it didn't help that it's fairly buggy, so I lost around 30 minutes progress at one point because it wasn't autosaving and then I encountered an error where it didn't load the next area properly. Still, I thought it was decent.

Currently Playing
  • Need for Speed: Most Wanted
  • Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty
  • UFC

Axass

Second game, in three days! It's not gonna last, I'll start working soon...

Game 2: SteamWorld Dig - 3/5 - 6 hours (03/01/15)
header.jpg

Beaten the final boss and got heaps of achievements, still need to max out my equipment though. It caught me by surprise, thought it was more similar to Spelunky, turns out it's more puzzle like in its approach and has metroidvania elements for the progression. It's very nice and polished, the graphics are great 2D artwork, everything works and feels awesome and responsive; it feels repetitive after a while, but I'd say that only happens when you are basically at the end of the game (the game's short), so it's not a huge issue. Only real issue is that the developers could have done much more with the world and characters.

This game is:

ghibli99

I'm definitely in. I finished 63 games last year... no reason to think I won't do something similar this year.

Game 1: Pokemon Yellow: Special Pikachu Edition (GBC) - 10 hours so far

52? I'm going for 100!

Let's start with these for now.

Ys Vita: I'm in the beginning area. I just got to the Sparda Ruins. This one might be harder due to when I play it - bathroom and coming home from work only.

Metro 2033 (Complete!): Just finished. What a ride. Probably one of my favorite FPS games ever.

Metro Last Light: Right about to start this. I hear it's better.

Bayonetta 2: I already beat this game, but I haven't played through the game with Jeanne, so it's her turn (plus she plays differently and I'd love an excuse to run through the game again).

Plant VS Zombies Garden Warfare: This one is really difficult to "complete", so how about 100 total kills from all matches played starting next time I play? I use the Football Star, so it shouldn't be too hard to get that.

Samurai Warriors 4: Two more levels to go, as they were free DLC experiences I got with the game. Once that's over, I'll be complete.

Diablo 3: Just got Adventure mode, and once I run through all the Acts at least once, I'll count this as "done".

The Evil Within: I really don't remember what act I was on, but it's been a while. I think I was at the halfway point. Am I cheating? Yes. Do I care? No, and there's nothing you can do to stop me.

Guilty Gear XRD: Sitting through the story and finishing up the arcade mode with all characters should count, if not because of that shitty final boss (for some characters).

Okay! That seems like enough, right? I'll be updating constantly, and I'll keep a list of things I've done on this one, but just with a (Complete!) by it to indicate its finish.

I feel like this is a huge excuse to stream video games more...

Javier

Finished my second game this year!

#2 - Fairune (3DS) - A cute little top-down exploring game, very reminiscent of Zelda 1. You play as the legendary maiden slaying monsters and solving puzzles, although it's easy to get stumped if you don't have the patience. A short game, but good value for its price. If anyone wants to add a quick game to its 52, consider this one.

mMtzstX.jpg
49pJyjl.jpg

Original post edited.

kierwynn

Finished my second game this year!

#2 - Fairune (3DS) - A cute little top-down exploring game, very reminiscent of Zelda 1. You play as the legendary maiden slaying monsters and solving puzzles, although it's easy to get stumped if you don't have the patience. A short game, but good value for its price. If anyone wants to add a quick game to its 52, consider this one.

mMtzstX.jpg
49pJyjl.jpg

Original post edited.

Oh, that actually looks really cute. I may have to look into it. I need some shorter games to help offset all my long jrpgs. lol

daveo42

Banned
Game 2: Jazzpunk - 3h | Started: 1/3/15 - Completed: 1/3/15

What a completely insane game that was. Internet jokes, references, and hilarious voice acting made this game a blast. Some stuff fell a bit flat for me, but overall it was one tripped out...trip...

Initial post here

Some updates.

Game 1: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter (PC) - 3-4 hours Started: Jan. 2nd Finished: Jan.3rd
The game follows the "Walking Sim" formula of the Stanley Parable or Dear Esther, the game has some really neat puzzles and fairly good narrative.

Game 2: Among The Sleep (PC) - 2-3 Hours Started: Jan. 3rd Finished: Jan. 3rd
Been hearing some decent things about this game. Play as a baby escaping from a shadowy nightmare along with a talking teddy bear, has some good puzzles and "Amnesia" item interaction. Short, but a fairly good experience.

Original Post

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Sonic 2 an its cheap dumb final boss has been beat! I fell into the trap of dying through the moving floor tiles at the Chemical Plant boss before it even appeared x.x

Games Beaten: 02 / 52
Total Playtime: 2 hours, 59 minutes

01 - ??

Zimmy64

EDIT: Ignore this post. The Directions confused me but I got it now. The post below this post is the post I claim.

Zimmy64

Update #1

BpNS0zO.jpg

Game 1:Super Mario 3D World - (started in 2014)
-Not as good as either as the galaxies, but its still a solid 9.5. Just finished
World Crown today, that final level is probably the most frustrated I've been while playing a video game
B5nA6Rn.jpg

Game 2: Mario Kart 8- (started in 2014)
-Finished getting gold stars on all the cups today including the DLC cups and beat the all the staff ghosts including the DLC ones. Now I'm just playing online and waiting until May for the next DLC pack.
R2mTL6i.jpg

Game 3: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze- (started in 2014)
-Incredible, best DKC game. David Wise's soundtrack is awesome, the levels are innovative and colorful, the extra Kongs are awesome. Everything about this game is near flawless.
QKZl333.jpg

Game 4: Nintendo Land - (started in 2014)
-Played all the Nintendo Land games today for the first time, the Metroid Blast was my favorite especially because I have siblings who like to play with me.
PwcMBNo.jpg

Game 5: Assassin's Creed Rogue - (1/2/2015)
-Surprisingly Superb. Shay's story is intriguing and the mission at the end of sequence 3 might be the best in the series. I provides nice closure to Assassin's Creed III and Black Flag and sets up Unity well.

Update 2

H4Bimbs.jpg

Game 6: The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap - (started in 2014)
-Great game, short by Zelda standards but still 15-20 hours long. It is an underrated game as I don't hear it mentioned a lot within the Zelda Community
c6IUwbj.jpg

Game 7: Kid Icarus Uprising (started in 2014)
-Incredible game and better than I expected. Best voice acting in an Nintendo game and one of the funniest games ever. Would love Sakurai to continue the series and/or tackle other Nintendo properties.

Update 3

8QLPaG9.jpg

Game 8: Assassin's Creed Revelations (1/3/2015)
-Pretty good game. It provides fantastic closure to both Ezio and Altair's story. The ending is one of the best in the series. I think it is underrated.

Update 4

VlWil25.jpg

Game 9: Child of Light (1/5/2015)
-Great game and a great work of art. The Ubiart engine is capable of some pretty impressive things and this just might be the most impressive so far. The battle system was active and intriguing. The game has a great cast of characters. The game's story, writing, music, art style are all impeccable.

Hikami

Original Post

62ee76fc59.png

Game 3: Valkyria Chronicles
Playtime: 32:05
Started: Nov 11th, 2014
Completed: Jan 4th, 2015
// This game just left me with a smile on my face. I'm a sucker for
happy endings.
The story was great and the characters were likable. The gameplay was amazing, its nice to see games try to be unique and innovate.
It was challenging but a lot of fun. I'll check out the DLC and/or sequels later in the year.
--
This thread is great. It's actually motivating me to complete games I've abandoned/backlogged. Reading people's impressions on games they've just played is entertaining as well.

Original Post

Game 1: The Fall - 5 hours

Think The Swapper meets a twin stick shooter meets a point and click adventure game with light platformer elements thrown in. And trust me there is a reason this game was awarded best story in the recent GB awards! Can't wait for episode 2 and 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom