• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 1, 2015 (Dec 29 - Jan 04)

RPGamer92

Banned
It will be interesting to see how much Dragon Quest Heroes pushes PS4 sales next month. And Type-0 and Bloodborne come out in March so PS4 sales will be reall interesting those months.

test_account

XP-39C²
With Vita sales being solid this week, the software sales are just atrocious. What are people buying with their new Vita? PS+?

It's horrible, either way.
Digital sales and used games probably plays a bit role in it. Sometimes used sales can be pretty big.

Raist

Banned
PS4 was released in February. That post was only from April do December.

From April do December 2013, PS4 sold zero units in Japan. ;)

Ha, I see. From the post I quoted it wasn't exactly clear these were the time periods covered though. I then thought it was FY13 total was FY14 so far.
So I guess this means roughly 1M SW sold in Feb-April 2014.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Why is that?

Demographic is higher on Sony platforms, so Nintendo "kids" get their gift for Christmas, while older people is keen to spend for themselves after the New Year's Eve?

Yeah, I think 3DS sales will be remarkably low this year, maybe a similar percentage drop as last year.
I would've thought that with New 3DS, they could've mitigated the drop experienced last year, but it looks like it's just not catching on.

for MC is slighlty lower, for Famitsu is equally slightly higher. I'd say that FROM THIS WEEK NUMBERS only, it is on par. let's wait for full January numbers, imho, to project the analisys.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Wtf One of the trackers is messing up terribly and I'm going to go with Famitsu.

It makes you wonder how flawed the data is from NPD when there is only one tracker.

If those flaws will result in Captan Toad: Treasure Tracker being in top 10 in next NPD, higher than Assassin's Creed: Parity, I won't care about them. Call me biased and all...but, honestly, I'm just one who believes in miracles and stuff like that

A bit OT, but I'm VERY curious about Captain Toad's sales in US, honestly

L~A

There's something wrong with the total for LW on Media Create, it seems.

Adding all sales data give 344 904, not 345 032.

And you forgot to remove sales data for some consoles in the LTD section, too.

Edit: oh, ok, there's some other oddities.

Raist

Banned
Guys, for all of you "celebrating" PS4 over 1,000,000 in Japan (at least for Famitsu), you know it's still behind PS3 at the same time after release, right?

Also, don't know why people is surprised by Vita sales: Week 1 is usually more favourable to Sony hardware.

To be fair, the difference in the launch timing probably makes a bit of a difference too.

I really wonder how well a 3DS successor will do in Japan.

Assuming it still gets Yokai, Mario Kart, Monster Hunter,Pokemon, etc.it will do fine barring some weird collapse from all these series in Japan (well L5 will probably kill Yokai within 3-5 years). The west is the more interesting question.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Is just Chris mistake. MC don't changed Vita number.

Oh, thank you for the reply!

It will be interesting to see how much Dragon Quest Heroes pushes PS4 sales next month. And Type-0 and Bloodborne come out in March so PS4 sales will be reall interesting those months.

I'm really keen to see a very good year for PS4 in Japan.

200k iirc
PS3 in its 2nd year did 1 million so depending on how much PS4 grows it could go ahead of the PS3 launch aligned.

would you say that there are still chances to see PS4 repeat PS3 LTD numbers in Japan? I was originally thinking about PS4 as the only console in Japan able to repeat its predecessors numbers, but the very bad weeks after launch changed my mind. Still, if we look at this comparison with PS3, it could still happen, especially considering how there is no more competition from Nintendo on the home side, unlike the Wii fever.

I don't think you can say the entire month of January is good for PS systems. Week 1 usually is though.

I agree, we usually see this happening in the first week of the year.

Pot. Kettle.

lol

10./16. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V # <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) {2014.12.11} (¥7.992) - 17.451 / 135.665 (+6%)
[PS3] - 804.523

GTAV - 940.188

I'm still struggling to understand how GTAV got so big in Japan. Its like the only PS3 and now PS4 title that has legs as well.

Mpl90

Pot. Kettle.

As if I celebrated Wii U hitting two millions this much...you have no evidences against me, sir! ;)

Being more serious, sorry if I've appeared too harsh with that post. It was a bit on the mean tone, you're all right.

Jigorath

Banned
lol

10./16. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V # <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) {2014.12.11} (¥7.992) - 17.451 / 135.665 (+6%)
[PS3] - 804.523

GTAV - 940.188

I'm still struggling to understand how GTAV got so big in Japan. Its like the only PS3 and now PS4 title that has legs as well.

Even the Japanese love Trevor.

Takao

Banned
lol

[PS3] - 804.523

GTAV - 940.188

The GTA games sold well on PS2 and PSP. GTA V is likely the result of an increased marketing push from Rockstar/SCE (GTA V has PS4 bundles in JP) and a decline in Japanese development producing a rise in the sales of western titles.

Orgen

I expected more severe drops for everything. I suppose next week will be the big fall...

And Nintendominance SW wise :eek:

Abriael

Banned
I expected more severe drops for everything. I suppose next week will be the big fall...

You expected wrong. New year's week is the otoshidama week. Parents give children money on new year, making it one of the biggest shopping weeks of the year.

Mpl90

lol

[PS3] - 804.523

GTAV - 940.188

Yeah, GTA has always been quite big in Japan, but GTAV went boom. And while the PS4 version is not as bombastic as in the West, it's still definitely a decent result, especially considering current PS4's environment. Overall (PS3+PS4), GTAV will surely hit 1,000,000 in Japan soon.

Actually, if we include the budget release on PS3, didn't it already?

u_neek

[PS3] - 804.523

GTAV - 940.188

The "Best" (or whatever it's called) re-release sold around 100k too. It is pretty crazy.

Hellraider

would you say that there are still chances to see PS4 repeat PS3 LTD numbers in Japan? I was originally thinking about PS4 as the only console in Japan able to repeat its predecessors numbers, but the very bad weeks after launch changed my mind. Still, if we look at this comparison with PS3, it could still happen, especially considering how there is no more competition from Nintendo on the home side, unlike the Wii fever.

The way things look like not even PSV will reach PS3's numbers. Nothing sort of a miracle is needed for PS4 to reach these numbers. And I'm one one of the relative optimistic guys regarding PS4's future in japan.

squall23

Gundam Breaker shows again that a multiplatform release can sell well on Vita. Sucks that other publishers haven't done that.
You know, the game also has to actually be good for it to sell (which Gundam Breaker 2 is). A Vita port doesn't mean anything if the game sucks in general.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Famitsu's sales seem to be less accurate.

SCEJA's president confirmed at the business meeting with retailers that the console went past a million.

http://gamesmaya.blog98.fc2.com/blog-entry-2704.html

Famitsu still marks it at 961.359, so they seem to be undertracking PS4 by quite a bit.

that still doesn't explain the relatively big Wii u difference.

And Nintendominance SW wise :eek:

Big drops will occur next week, not this one. I think it's always been like that.
yes, SW-wise Nintendo (and other publishers game on N console...ok, L5 ;p ) hold pretty well

Now the PS4 needs to break the 2 million barrier.

well, that will take awhile, I suppose. 2014 had the launch, that ws really really good, not only in terms of "home console in Japan" or "compared to PS3 launch", but in general objective terms. than the weekly sales dropped like a rock. This year, on the other hand, will have a way better lineup for the Japanese market. I'm really looking at all those third party games expecting PS4 to change its weekly pace.

Well, after all the doom&gloom weeks we passed thrugh, I agree. especially if we consider the home market shrinking int is' totality.
But, can we (if you and other are interested in, of course) going deeper with this analisys?
Time. It won't have the 8 years to sell, even if it does start selling like the PS3, which given the market contraction isn't likely to begin with.

lol

[PS3] - 804.523

GTAV - 940.188

Don't forget the 26k the 360 version sold on its first week! Could be around 40k now.

Road

lol

[PS3] - 804.523

GTAV - 940.188

I'm struggling to understand GTAV everywhere. The remaster sales have served me a ton of crow. I was one of the "it is just a remaster, the game already sold a gazillion copies, only a small hardcore group will double dip".

BTW, where's that PS3 number from? I have

[360] Grand Theft Auto V {2013-10-10} - 26,612 / 38,220
[PS3] Grand Theft Auto V {2013-10-10} - 360,115 / 778,762
[PS3] Grand Theft Auto V [New Price] {2014-06-26} - 6,732 / 63,395
[PS4] Grand Theft Auto V {2014-12-11} - 81,659 / 135,665

Total = 1,016,042.

Missing Xbox One sales, downloads, and PS3 and 360 numbers are old.

To be fair, the difference in the launch timing probably makes a bit of a difference too.

Not anymore, really. At this point in time, both PS3 and PS4 had one holiday season, so the release factor doesn't make much difference (if anything, it favors the PS4).

Unless you mean the launch timing of games....

sörine

Banned
That doesn't necessarily mean Famitsu is less accurate. It just means that SCEJA uses Media Create.
I believe Famitsu also has the most direct retailer data coverage out of the three trackers. Not that it makes them more or less accurate but it's worth taking note of.

Abriael

Banned
That doesn't necessarily mean Famitsu is less accurate. It just means that SCEJA uses Media Create.

Nintendo too actually, for a reason. Media Create is a dedicated data tracking firm. Famitsu isn't. It's normal that their data is more accurate.

Oh, thank you for the reply!

I'm really keen to see a very good year for PS4 in Japan.

I agree, we usually see this happening in the first week of the year.

PS3 achieved those numbers after 9 years......8 of those years being without its successor on the market. PS4 will not have that. I'm guessing it will have a life cycle of 6 years. Just because of that its looking very unlikely. These two years will be important for the PS4 and more importantly the home console market. After, over predicting PS4 and WiiU, I going to wait and see how it does when it starts getting the bigger games and exclusive ones.

The GTA games sold well on PS2 and PSP. GTA V is likely the result of an increased marketing push from Rockstar/SCE (GTA V has PS4 bundles in JP) and a decline in Japanese development producing a rise in the sales of western titles.

It does look like Japan is warming up to Western games more but the legs are honestly surprising.

well, that will take awhile, I suppose. 2014 had the launch, that ws really really good, not only in terms of "home console in Japan" or "compared to PS3 launch", but in general objective terms. than the weekly sales dropped like a rock. This year, on the other hand, will have a way better lineup for the Japanese market. I'm really looking at all those third party games expecting PS4 to change its weekly pace.

I expect it to break 2M earlier than it did 1M. The boosts from Bloodborne, FFXV demo, DQH etc will kinda mitigate the sales from launch last year and overall I think it'll have a higher baseline with more frequent and better sw releases. Also there's surely going to be a price cut this year.

Kikujiro

I'm struggling to understand GTAV everywhere. The remaster sales have served me a ton of crow. I was one of the "it is just a remaster, the game already sold a gazillion copies, only a small hardcore group will double dip".

I may be wrong, but I think it's the online component, just like Minecraft, a lot of people play GTA online just to hang out with friends. It's a great sandbox to pass time with friends.

Top Bottom