• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most interesting "cut" or "hidden" content found within game data.

woopWOOP

Another somewhat humorous example is an audio clip in Lunar 2 of the game's main villain congratulating you for ripping audio from the disc in order to "cheat" and telling you that he has a special place for you by his side.
Similarly, if you put Skies of Arcadia (Dreamcast) in a regular CD player, Vyse will tell you to put the disc back in a Dreamcast "where they belong" so that they can "do their jobs."
I really enjoyed the CD track on Castlevania: SOTN.
"This is a playstation black disc. Track one contains computer data, so please, don't play it. But you probably won't listen to me anyway, will you?"
I love these.

Similarly, putting the Warcraft 2 Expansion CD in a CD player gives you a secret track, Medieval Man (tho I just read that apparently it can also be activated ingame through a cheat..).

Pikmin's half broken debug mode PC version hidden away on the disc is a real interesting one. Wonder why that EXE made it on to the print line without being culled.

vvise

Hidden Palace Zone in Sonic 2 is my fav one of these:

sonic2-17-emerald.jpg

Meffer

ArwingZelda1.jpg

There have been some interesting finds over the years of unused content found lurking deep in the bowels of game data that was not meant to actually be seen by players. These range from minor things like textures to massive unused areas. I can think of a dozen or so examples off the top of my head. For example, the picture above shows an arwing that was found in the game data of ocarina of time with fully functioning AI. It flies around and will shoot at you and appears to be the basis for the Volvagia boss's AI.

Another somewhat humorous example is an audio clip in Lunar 2 of the game's main villain congratulating you for ripping audio from the disc in order to "cheat" and telling you that he has a special place for you by his side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDunXSSQu9o

What are some of the best examples you have seen of hidden content found in a game's data gaf?

The Zelda theory you had was close. It was actually used to test the lock on system.

Should have been first reply.
Mind telling us what is so interesting about the content on the Destiny disc? AFAIK it's just a couple empty bland areas intended for DLC.

Did you guys read the OP or are you just trying to derail this into another Destiny bashing thread?

and yeah, my answer would easily be Hidden Palace in Sonic 2. I wish the Christian Whitehead version was on console or handheld and not just mobile.

Fandangox

Link and Samus were apparently planned for the Wii Version of Marvel Ultimate Alliance, but Nintendo said not to use them.

hqdefault.jpg

marvelzelda.jpg

Dark Souls 1

Forest covenant story quest,
Oscar of Astora sidequest.

Mind telling us what is so interesting about the content on the Destiny disc? AFAIK it's just a couple empty bland areas intended for DLC.

Did you guys read the OP or are you just trying to derail this into another Destiny bashing thread?

and yeah, my answer would easily be Hidden Palace in Sonic 2. I wish the Christian Whitehead version was on console or handheld and not just mobile.

There are like 4 doors still closed in the vanilla game that can show you some areas you cant go.

Bumhat

The absolute grand reigning champion of hidden/removed/beta content still in the code is, without doubt, GoldenEye on the N64. For those who don't know, included in the GoldenEye cart is:

• A fully-functional ZX Spectrum emulator including Rare's games
  • A beta multiplayer map called Citadel
  • Photos and character textures for Connery, Moore, and Dalton
  • Complete multiplayer versions of Statue and Cradle with finished player and weapon spawns
  • An astonishing amount of beta content including guns, cheats, models, text, and items

There is more than I could possibly list here (including the infamous Dam island) so head to Google and check it out!

Mr Git

I remember discovering cut cutscenes and things from Soul Reaver using one of those chip cards on the PS1 to explore the data on the disk. If anything it just made me sad they cut the content - different reaver was shown as well as some pretty important story.

Yarbskoo

The giant Xenoblade Chronicles map that was seemingly cut (though I think it's barely used in the credits)

This is what came to my mind initially. The area actually shows up a couple of times in the game, including the scene where
Egil is talking to Arglas.

The map is freaking huge, with fields, forests, caves, and towns. I had a lot of fun exploring it myself.

chozen

I'm a fan of destiny however there is no denying that they have legit shown off places that were supposed to be in the game but never made it into final release hence CUT and will be sold to us later as dlc. We were promised or told that it would be something much bigger. No, this is not a destiny hate thread

Dunkley

• The PC executable on the original Pikmin disc allowing you to play the game on PC in debug mode
  • Junpei's ending in Persona 3 Portable hinting at him being a love interest at one point before his romantic route got cut for obvious reasons.
  • Post-True Ending dungeon conversations in Persona 4, also unused BGMs from Persona 3 Reincarnation and the fact that Persona 4's data has the entire Persona 3 FES soundtrack except Mass Destruction's Journey version.
  • Sprites for the entire party of Paper Mario 64 in The Thousand Year Door.

I'm a fan of destiny however there is no denying that they have legit shown off places that were supposed to be in the game but never made it into final release hence CUT and will be sold to us later as dlc. We were promised or told that it would be something much bigger. No, this is not a destiny hate thread

That's still different from cut content not meant to be seen. All of Destiny's cut content is meant to be seen, just not till later ;)

I'm not entirely sure, but I think they are talking about the supposed in game economy (trading, betting, etc). Also cut planets (Jupiter and Saturn) and cut story where
the traveler is actually the black garden and the speaker knows this and is manipulating everyone OR the traveler "is" the darkness. Going from one civilization to the next building them up for its own purpose and mind controlling everyone (much like indoctrination in mass effect) until finally collapsing the civilization and moving on.

Moobabe

The Shadow of the Colossus stuff is just amazing - and a great story behind it all as well.

I need TLG in my life.

Arkanius

Half of KOTOR2

It wasn't "half"
It was just:

Multiple sidequests
Droid Planet
HK-50 factory
The multiple endings

But it made all the difference to be honest, I was the Beta Tester for the Team Gizka Restoration Mod. It was so close to being finished but the main developer just went dark all of the sudden. Everyone thinks he lost interest or just went over to NWN2 modding. Glad to see someone managed to do a second project.

Son Of D

Super Smash Bros Brawl had some leftover data on the disc indicating that the characters that were in Melee but never made it to Brawl were planned at some point (as well as apparent Dixie Kong and Plusle/Minun names in the files).

Probably time constraints and the fact that it´s aesthetically similar to Neverland. Given the amount of neat stuff that tends to get cut from KH games while in development (Bahamut in KH1, Buzz and Woody in KH2FM, Pleakley in Birth by Sleep, Fantasia 2000 in KH3D) it doesn´t surprise me.

Anyone with the original JP non Final Mix release of the game can actually get a hold of a hacked savefile that takes you straight to what´s left of the Jungle Book world.

Bahamut was planned for KH1? That would have been interesting.

If I remember right, Nintendo refused their inclusion because the devs showed them running on a PS2 build of the game, lol.

That's what I heard as well. If that's the case why would the PS2 build even have them included? Unless that was the most finished build at the time and just used that for testing.

Jezan

Bahamut was planned for KH1? That would have been interesting.

Yeah, he was supposed to be a summon. If you use a cheat device, you can actually bring him up in the Summon menu, but the game freezes if you select him.

That's what I heard as well. If that's the case why would the PS2 build even have them included? Unless that was the most finished build at the time and just used that for testing.

I figure that was the case, considering that the Wii version is a port of the PS2 version.

Dr. Buni

The cut colossi in Shadow of the Colossus. They have great designs, I wish they were in the game...

That reminds me of Sonic X-Treme, which doesn't count as it is a canceled game and not a game with cut content. Anyways, everything about that game fascinates me.

Top Bottom