• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RegionThree Released For All Non-New 3DS Models - No Game Or Flashcard Required!

MLH

This is great, smealum is a really great guy, region free without the piracy.
I still own my 3DSXL with firmware 9.4.0-21E so I assume this will work. Shame he doesn't seem interested in working on a new3DS version.

One question not answered, it says it bypasses mandatory updates from game cards, would it also bypass updates from eshop access? or are those that wish to continue using this no longer able to access the eshop (when firmware is updated)?

Vuze

I still own my 3DSXL with firmware 9.4.0-21E so I assume this will work. Shame he doesn't seem interested in working on a new3DS version.

One question not answered, it says it bypasses mandatory updates from game cards, would it also bypass updates from eshop access? or are those that wish to continue using this no longer able to access the eshop (when firmware is updated)?

You can't access the eShop if you're not on the latest firmware, RegionThree only disables the prompt that retail cartridges may eventually give you.

Ulthwe

Sega 3D Classics and Ex Troopers, I'm looking at you!

sega-3d-fukkoku-archives-383011.1.jpg

pa.243019.8.jpg

It most likely only suppresses the update prompt when running a game, it doesn't stop any other kind of update prompts by the system.

EDIT: ninja'd

jrush64

Banned
Yes this works. This fucking works!!!! I have alot of UK 3ds games as I used to live there but now I'm in the US.

I just hope it can work for the n3ds.

SigSig

Awesome! I planned on buying a new 3DS anyway, so I'll just leave my 3DSXL at the current firmware version <3

While this is awesome, not being able to use the eShop in the future really limits how useful this is, at least to me. :/

Still, very cool, and fuck you Nintendo.

FSLink

Banned
Is it me or the box of Sega 3D Classics is designed by Ken Sugimori ?

It is indeed designed by Ken Sugimori.

While this is awesome, not being able to use the eShop in the future really limits how useful this is, at least to me. :/

Still, very cool, and fuck you Nintendo.

Considering Gateway has emuNAND, maybe someone will eventually create a similar functionality to this hack without the piracy (a virtual file system so you can update and access eShop without affecting your actual firmware)

virtualS

Great news! Although, it would have been better if Nintendo didn't region lock a PORTABLE system in the first place.

Neku89

Great news! I was thinking of buying a Gateway just for the region free bit (yes, I know that Ninjhax disables region locking too, but since its release the price for Cubic Ninja has skyrocketed), but I will be perfectly happy with this.

While we're at it, is there a way to backup "un-backupable" saves like Animal Crossing and Pokémon?

Considering Gateway has emuNAND, maybe someone will eventually create a similar functionality to this hack without the piracy (a virtual file system so you can update and access eShop without affecting your actual firmware)
Yeah I've read about the Gateway and the emuNAND and that would be perfect if someone could get it to work without an expensive 3rd party product. I've played around with homebrew and stuff on the original DS but I just can't be bothered with all of that anymore when all I want to do is play games from other regions.

Scavenger

Nice. Think I'll buy a physical copy of the Phoenix Wright Collection, Taiko no Tatsujin. Any other Japan exclusives worth buying?

Maximo

Just thought I would give a quick warning to those. Don't import the N3DS for the *Chance* or the *Hope* that this will work in the near Future. This relies on a Browser based Exploit that doesn't work on the N3DS. It COULD one day work with the N3DS but it sure as hell won't be soon or near any foreseeable future.

Cream

Banned
Just thought I would give a quick warning to those. Don't import the N3DS for the *Chance* or the *Hope* that this will work in the near Future. This relies on a Browser based Exploit that doesn't work on the N3DS. It COULD one day work with the N3DS but it sure as hell won't be soon or near any foreseeable future.

Very true.

But there is always Gateway

Sandfox

Yeah, they still are here as well which is a bitch. Still don't know why it's so easy on 2/3 home consoles but not handhelds.

Even then going digital on imports is usually a pain since you have to import point cards that are never exactly what you need.

elyetis

Wow, now to choose if I import rune factory IV since I still wasn't decided on the digital available in europe. Yes I like boxes.

Dunkley

Just got my girlfriend's 3DS games to see if they work. She's from the Americas and I am testing it on my European 3DS.

Edit:

It works, it's amazing, and I am running the latest firmware:

uwH4j9c.jpg

Smealum does what Nintendon't

JimPanzer

is 9.4. the current firmware? I might hold onto my old XL for region free gaming instead of selling it when I get my n3ds.

KiTA

Wow. Wouldn't it be cool if instead of Nintendo going hell for leather to get 9.5 out in the next few weeks to block this, they just disabled region locking altogether?

Eolz

Uh wow, this is awesome.
Seriously Nintendo, just give up region lock.

Also, glad this isn't enabling piracy like some other hacks.

Sandfox

Wow. Wouldn't it be cool if instead of Nintendo going hell for leather to get 9.5 out in the next few weeks to block this, they just disabled region locking altogether?

They would still want to disable it in case this exploit leads to more things.Dropping region lock probably wouldn't be a quick decision either.

Top Bottom