• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle East: PS4 selling 4x as much as PS3

ZhugeEX

Banned
Hi guys,

I've been reading up on the UAE market and wanted to share some information with you.

Sony has seen unprecedented demand for the PS4 in the Middle East since launch in December 2013. Pre orders were being taken for the console more than 4 months before release and retailers in the UAE estimated that more than 4,200 consumers pre ordered the PS4 before release. Retailers hinted that pre orders could have been much higher had there not been a cap on the number of pre orders. The first shipment in the UAE was sold out on the first day. At the midnight launch, many gaming outlets were flocked with crowds, with some gamers picking up pre-ordered consoles, and walk-in customers, who faced an uncertain wait in an attempt to secure scarce stock.

“We got three times more crowds yesterday than we expected at every store,” Kishan Palija, managing director of games retailer Geekay Group MEA told Arabiya News. Some came dressed as video game characters to take part in a contest offering a PS4 as first prize. Others dressed up for the fun of it, and were content to queue for five hours before the console went on sale at midnight. For customers who did not buy in advance, “there were some disappointments,” added Palija. Stores in Bahrain and Oman were also sold out of PS4's on the first day. Despite the huge demand in the UAE, Sony were unable to adequately supply the region with the second shipment only arriving in mid January, more than 1 month after launch. This shipment also sold out. According to Nadeem Khanzadah, head of retail at Jumbo Electronics, one reason for the big PS4 demand is due to the short launch gap between the US and the UAE. PS4 sales will exceed PS3 as retailers have not seen the response when PS3 was launched.

According to Robert Fisser, general manager at Sony Middle East, the PS4 has had an amazing first year and has sold more than 4x faster than the PS3 in the same time period, the PS3 is currently the most popular home console in UAE with more than 60% market share. It took the PS3 over 2 and a half years to sell over 450,000 units in the Middle East and Robert Fisser also said that PS4 sales will shortly exceed 1 million units across the region.

The gaming industry in the middle east is booming and is expected to see double digit growth this year with the PS4 leading the way. The quick launch in the UAE as well as other factors such as Arabic language support & large gaming events has seen PlayStation become a huge name in the middle east with gamers referring to "PlayStation" for all games in a similar way to how people use "Hoover", a brand name, to refer to their vacuum cleaner or how people say "google it" to refer to using a search engine. Games in the Middle East are being developed in Arabic language as well and Sony are helping a number of smaller developers in the region get their games onto PS4.

Sony has big plans for the growing Middle East region and will continue to support gamers there.

dsaf_zps1224e5bb.jpg

Sources

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I thought consoles were dead?

Well now that we're getting PCs that can theoretically do everything consoles can, they should be. I just- I don't understand, all the calculations check out... I...

There must be some mistake. Surely Steam Machines will rectify this.

Jonnax

I thought consoles were dead?

Of course not. It was a bunch of tech journalists whose only experience with games was temple run and angry birds talking out of their arse because the only thing they were familiar with was IOS and Android.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Title should say 4x as much as PS3 during its launch window. I thought it was saying that today, PS4 is selling 4x as much as PS3.

I wonder what price the PS4 is selling in the region. If I'm not mistaken the PS3 was being sold at ridiculous prices when it launched (3x its US price IIRC).

ikarry83

Neo Member
Good for Sony, some people in UAE and KSA, get used to buying Sony Playstation's, and no matter how expensive/low interest they're in gaming they will still buy one.

Title should say 4x as much as PS3 during its launch window. I thought it was saying that today, PS4 is selling 4x as much as PS3.

I wonder what price the PS4 is selling in the region. If I'm not mistaken the PS3 was being sold at ridiculous prices when it launched (3x its US price IIRC).

Suggested retail price is 1799 AED or 489$

ZhugeEX

Banned

Fixed the title.

PS4 is selling for 1699 AED which is around $460. But you can get it as cheap as $380 if you shop around.

There is a company called Du in UAE which bundles a PS4 with it's TV, fixed line and broadband package for AED 95 a month. You get Infamous and Knack for free as well.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
$460-$480 is not bad actually. I remember the PS3 costing BD 600 in Bahrain when it launched, which is ~$1600. That was a little ridiculous haha.

Mista

Banned
Here in the Middle East we got A LOT of Hardcore Gamers. Gamers that are really passionate about gaming and actually understands everything. Like Gaf here, people discuss about games, graphics, A.I, glitches, development, developers...etc. We do exactly the same here too. The gamers population is growing like crazy here with every gen. No wonder Sony and others now gives us attention. Which actually makes us the gamers here very happy to be noticed cause we arent different from the gamers of US and Europe. Got to admit though that Xbox isnt popular like the Playstation in the Middle East. Yes there are a lot of people who owns Xbox here but still the Playstation is more popular. Here in Saudi Arabia the gaming market is massive. Famous developers even started visiting our region which we really appreciate. When Harada came to Saudi Arabia I saw a couple of people crying of happiness. When I asked why they said: "We never thought we would be noticed by our childhood favorite developer" I was happy myself when I saw Harada and Keiji Inafune infront of my eyes. It all felt like a dream from all the joy! Now we see famous games getting released in Arabic which is something we're very proud of cause Hey! They noticed us! I dont like playing them in Arabic though cause I enjoy the real deal. So yeah, thank you Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo for noticing and considering us just like all the other gamers.

Sami+

Cool, hopefully it takes off like the PS2 did. It'd probably take some piracy for that to happen though, at least from what I remember of Syria waaaaay back when I went there last.

g23

European pre-madonna
Is it because most of the young population in oil rich KSA and UAE are

1. Rich as Fu·*
2. Bored because alcohol is prohibited, so people turn to video games for entertainment.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Here in the Middle East we got A LOT of Hardcore Gamers. Gamers that are really passionate about gaming and actually understands everything. Like Gaf here, people discuss about games, graphics, A.I, glitches, development, developers...etc. We do exactly the same here too. The gamers population is growing like crazy here with every gen. No wonder Sony and others now gives us attention. Which actually makes us the gamers here very happy to be noticed cause we arent different from the gamers of US and Europe. Got to admit though that Xbox isnt popular like the Playstation in the Middle East. Yes there are a lot of people who owns Xbox here but still the Playstation is more popular. Here in Saudi Arabia the gaming market is massive. Famous developers even started visiting our region which we really appreciate. When Harada came to Saudi Arabia I saw a couple of people crying of happiness. When I asked why they said: "We never thought we would be noticed by our childhood favorite developer" I was happy myself when I saw Harada and Keiji Inafune infront of my eyes. It all felt like a dream from all the joy! Now we see famous games getting released in Arabic which is something we're very proud of cause Hey! They noticed us! I dont like playing them in Arabic though cause I enjoy the real deal. So yeah, thank you Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo for noticing and considering us just like all the other gamers.

Yup, loads of hardcore gamers in the middle east. Not many people know that there are loads of conventions and events in this region.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Is it because most of the young population in oil rich KSA and UAE are

1. Rich as Fu·*
2. Bored because alcohol is prohibited, so people turn to video games for entertainment.

So you're telling me the only reason people buy video game consoles is because they're billionaires and can't drink? Seriously? The PS4 is doing well because people in the region like gaming and like the PS4.

Opt1kon_

This is actually really good to hear that they're having more interactions with the UAE Hopefully we will also see some promising developers form from all over as well

chadskin

According to Robert Fisser, general manager at Sony Middle East, the PS4 has sold more than 4x faster than the PS3 in the same time period, the PS3 is currently the most popular home console in UAE with more than 60% market share. It took the PS3 over 2 and a half years to sell over 450,000 units in the Middle East and Robert Fisser also said that PS4 sales will shortly exceed 1 million units across the region.

Sweet jesus.

PS3: >30 months = 450K = 15K per month
PS4: >13 months = ~1000K = 77K per month

Do we know XB1 numbers? It launched in the UAE region in September last year as I've read.

TKM

Sony's quietly selling a lot of units outside of US/Europe/Japan. Good to see growth in areas not covered by English-speaking game media.

And just anecdotally, but I get matched up with a disproportionate number of Middle Eastern racers in Driveclub multiplayer. Must be the hours I play. Hope it gets a following there.

This really makes me happy :)

ZhugeEX

Banned
Sweet jesus.

Do we know XB1 numbers? It launched in the UAE region in September last year as I've read.

I wouldn't say it's quite at 1 million yet. Robert did seem to suggest it would be soon though.

Also I believe the exact time is 33 months for 450k number if you want to be exact.

I've never played with a Saudi, Yemeni etc in competitive or cooperative multiplayer to my knowledge. They can't be any worse than Brazilians, so I welcome their heightened presence in the gaming community

mintylurb

Sweet jesus.

Just imagine if MS starts selling Xbx1 to other middle eastern countries such as SA, Turkey, Iran, Iraq, Israel, etc. That's roughly 300 million potential customers.
If MS can manage to convince just 1% to buy Xbx1 then they should be able to overtake Sony's lead in the region and close the world wide gap.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Just imagine if MS starts selling Xbx1 to other middle eastern countries such as SA, Turkey, Iran, Iraq, Israel, etc. That's roughly 300 million potential customers.
If MS can manage to convince just 1% to buy Xbx1 then they should be able to overtake Sony's lead in the region and close the world wide gap.

tumblr_m4rocyT1XD1rn95k2o1_500.gif

Welfare

But what if Sony starts selling the PS4 in every country on the planet? If they get just 1% of the planet, they would've destroyed any lead MS could ever hope for.

Despera

Banned
My PS4 aint counted as I imported it from 'murica :]

Solid numbers though. People here can't ignore the newest and shiniest FIFA/CoD machine in town.

Biker19

Banned

Good luck with that.

This is why I've always been suspicious when people have insisted that global console sales have peaked. The Middle East, Latin America, India, etc constitute a massive, barely-exploited pool of potential gamers, many of whom view game consoles as aspirational products.

Also, Arab brand loyalty to Sony is ridiculous.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
It's just because some Arab dictator is buying them to build a supercomputer for world domination.

tumblr_mbvchoaaSR1qj63jg.gif

Imru’ al-Qays;148890254 said:
This is why I've always been suspicious when people have insisted that global console sales have peaked. The Middle East, Latin America, India, etc constitute a massive, barely-exploited pool of potential gamers, many of whom view game consoles as aspirational products.

Also, Arab brand loyalty to Sony is ridiculous.
You should meet my mom. We got another flat screen during Boxing Day, and it had to be Sony, because well, "Sony is the best"

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It's just because some Arab dictator is buying them to build a supercomputer for world domination.

I hope your not suggesting i'm old for getting that reference :l

Also, amazing numbers

Alo0oy

Banned
Here in Bahrain, The PS4 was sold out for nearly a year, I was only able to get one last November.

450k in 3 years to nearly 1m in 1 year, that's massive growth, it's probably because retailers weren't ripping everyone off by selling the console for the equivalent of 2,000 US$, I remember finding someone that sold US PS3s (at US launch day) for the equivalent of 900 US$ & that was very cheap in comparison to how much it was sold on the market. This time they were selling PS4s competitively, Sony probably caught their partners here overpricing their console

Sweet jesus.

Probably 5 units, only the very hardcore gamers actually know that there are consoles not called Playstation.

But what if Sony starts selling the PS4 in every country on the planet? If they get just 1% of the planet, they would've destroyed any lead MS could ever hope for.

What if they sold it to some alien planet that has 1 trillion population? Then 1% of that would be 1 billion consoles sold.

GeoramA

That's pretty uplifting to hear. Hope Sony keeps doubling down on PlayStation because the brand is a beast right now.

Top Bottom