• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces 18.5 million PlayStation 4 consoles sold WW

You didn't learn that until now? SM1 was awful. SM2 was bad. SM3 was terrible. Those are the official ratings.

At least all 3 of them are better than ASM1 and 2.

I am the black sheep here, I prefer the ASM series. I feel it is punished for being released in the era of MCU. Sam Raini's spiderman movies weren't that great and part 3 should be burned in fire. That jazz club scene...

You didn't learn that until now? SM1 was awful. SM2 was bad. SM3 was terrible. Those are the official ratings.

2424425-6555272247-hyde-.gif

Spiderman 2 is amazing.

2014: 800K (-38% YOY)
So, less than 40%, eh? And yeah, I'm talking calendar years; I figure it's easier than everyone trying to keep track of everyone's fiscal years, especially when discussing them head-to-head.

Okay, so do you have XB2 shipments from Q2 and Q3 2013? That, with the YOY drops, should give us a decent idea of how much XB2 shipped in 2014.

What really gives it away is the fact AMD uses the word "end user". That word just isn't up for debate as retail can never ever be an end user.
Sure, and she also used the term "shipped," which isn't up for debate, because it means sold in to retail. This is different from sold through to end users, another term she was using just prior to saying shipped. So if she was talking about sell-through, then why not keep calling it that? Or why not just say sold? Why use the term that means sell through if you mean sell in? If she's using terminology interchangeably, it seems unsafe to choose a given usage and say, "This is there she actually knew what she was talking about." Your argument is, "30M sold to end users," is perfectly clear, and I agree; it's just as clear as, "30M shipped." Both statements are just as clear as they are contradictory. Don't forget, AMD's product actually sells through twice; in to Sony, through to Amazon, and through once more to me. So do AMD look at Amazon as "the real customer" in much the same way that Sony sees me as the real customer? Again, clear as mud.

Like I said, she may have meant sell-through, but if she did, then her rounding seems to have given us a uselessly high cap on the Bone's sell-through, so again, the whole thing seems kinda useless to us as is. Knowing that XB3 shipments are <10.3M would be incredibly informative, but knowing that sales are <11.5M doesn't tell us anything we didn't already know. In fact, the latter just expands the Realm of the Possible to 8.7M-11.5M, giving the impression that the XB3 may have sold even more, but Lisa's rounding doesn't retroactively go back and create demand for the Bone in Germany, Japan, and Finland. See what I mean?

Really, it seems like our best option for guessing at XB3 sell-through will be to wait until we have shipments from Sony, so we can calculate their unsold units. Then we can take that number and try to estimate MS had unsold, given retail musings. (e.g. more units than Sony; fewer units; roughly the same.) Once we say, "If Sony had X unsold, it's likely MS had Y unsold," then we can subtract Y from whatever we guesstimate for their shipment numbers to get a triple-guesstimated sell-through figure. lol

AMD just needs to read Sony's (or Microsofts up to Q1 2014) financial reports to find out how much APU shipments were ahead of console shipments in past quarters. Also don't forget that AMD earns royalties on Xbox 360's Xenos GPU, which makes the numbers transparent for them despite Microsoft reporting only combined shipments.
I was wondering about something like that myself. Do you have any more information on that arrangement? I was wondering if maybe AMD received payment from Sony and MS for every APU shipped. That's would explain why they could confidently say in their own report, "Our customers have shipped X." If that's the arrangement, then it makes sense that AMD can and would talk about console sell in. They wouldn't necessarily have access to sell-through data, but hey, most of that is publicly available anyway. ;)

ZhugeEX

Banned
Sure, and she also used the term "shipped," which isn't up for debate, because it means sold in to retail.

Ah, now that's where you're wrong. Shipped doesn't necessary mean sold in. In the same way that "sold" doesn't necessarily mean sold through (It could mean sold in). Companies have been known to use the phrase "shipped to end users" before t describe sell through to consumer. It's rare but I'm fairly certain I've seen it before.

In this case it seems AMD clarified that they meant "shipped from their customers to end users" which is another way of saying sold through to end users.

Hence why I've been saying the figures are sold through for a long time.

I do understand your point of retailers potentially being end users but that wouldn't make sense as a retailer is not an end user. That wording has never been used before. Retailers would be classed as "intermediaries" and not "end users".

Someone correct me If I'm wrong.

Ah, now that's where you're wrong. Shipped doesn't necessary mean sold in. In the same way that "sold" doesn't necessarily mean sold through (It could mean sold in). Companies have been known to use the phrase "shipped to end users" before t describe sell through to consumer. It's rare but I'm fairly certain I've seen it before.
I've seen lots of manufacturers say "sold" to mean "sold to retail," but this would be the first time I've ever seen someone use "shipped" to mean "shipped to Surfer's house." /shrug

But again, even if she really did mean "nearly 30M sold through" all along and actually has the figures to back it up, it still means nothing to us, because we don't know if she's rounding up by a thousand units, a million units, or three million units.

ZhugeEX

Banned
But again, even if she really did mean "nearly 30M sold through" all along and actually has the figures to back it up, it still means nothing to us, because we don't know if she's rounding up by a thousand units, a million units, or three million units.

I vote we just ignore the AMD thing altogether unless we get further clarification

I agree,

"nearly 30 million" is a useful as me saying I've almost lost the weight I put on during Christmas..... almost.... kinda.....

My numbers aren't going to be super accurate (rounded to closest 100k), but are close enough.

2005: 600k
2006: 1.8m (+200% YOY)
2007: 2.4m (+33% YOY)
2008: 2.6m (+8% YOY)
2009: 2.4m (-8% YOY)
2010: 3.6m (+50% YOY)
2011: 3.8m (+6% YOY)
2012: 2.9m (-24% YOY)
2013: 1.5M (-48% YOY)
2014: 700k (-53% YOY)

Just to add to this, in preparation for tomorrow. Here is Microsoft's official shipment data for 360/X1 for every Q4 since launch.

Microsoft Xbox 360 shipments for Q4 (CY2005-CY2013)

2005- 1.5m
2006- 4.4m
2007- 4.3m
2008- 6.0m
2009- 5.2m
2010- 6.3m
2011- 8.2m
2012- 5.9m
2013- 3.5m

Microsoft Xbox One shipments for Q4 (CY2013)

2013- 3.9m

Microsoft Xbox One/360 cumulative Q4 shipments CY2013-CY2014)

2013- 7.4m
2014- ????

I'm fairly certain we'll probably hear something like more than 5 or even 6 million cumulative units tomorrow or something like that.

Is X1 going back to $399? My Sunday paper has Bestbuy Walmart and target all listing the price at $399.

No, Sales Ads are created weeks ahead of time. Best Buy and Wal-Mart didn't get the heads up on the price drop before they made those ads. I posted a Picture in the Xbox One Price Drop thread that showed this latest "limited time promotion" runs through May 2nd, at least that is what the price stickers at Toys R Us says.

Here is what Toys R Us is saying about how long this $349 price is valid. May 2nd is the last day of April NPDs.

I agree,

"nearly 30 million" is a useful as me saying I've almost lost the weight I put on during Christmas….. almost…. kinda…..
Yup, just as informative as, "Shortly, we will have sold in to retailers more than 10 million Xbox One consoles." lol

I'm fairly certain we'll probably hear something like more than 5 or even 6 million cumulative units tomorrow or something like that.
And given YOY shipment drops for XB2, would you agree roughly 2.1M of those are likely to be XB2? That would be a 40% drop YOY, roughly the same YOY drop we saw for Q4 2012->2013, and Q1 2013->2014.

What happens if we apply the same 40% drop to XB2 for Q2 and Q3 2014? Where does that leave XB3 shipments?

Serenity

No, Sales Ads are created weeks ahead of time. Best Buy and Wal-Mart didn't get the heads up on the price drop before they made those ads. I posted a Picture in the Xbox One Price Drop thread that showed this latest "limited time promotion" runs through May 2nd, at least that is what the price stickers at Toys R Us says.

Here is what Toys R Us is saying about how long this $349 price is valid. May 2nd is the last day of April NPDs.

Interesting. Why a promo that lasts many months. Wonder what is the benefit of not calling it a price drop?

ZhugeEX

Banned
And given YOY shipment drops for XB2, would you agree roughly 2.1M of those are likely to be XB2? That would be a 40% drop YOY, roughly the same YOY drop we saw for Q4 2012->2013, and Q1 2013->2014.

What happens if we apply the same 40% drop to XB2 for Q2 and Q3 2014? Where does that leave XB3 shipments?

Somewhere around 2.1m, yes, that would make sense.

I'd say yearly shipments will certainly be over 4 million for the Xbox One with at least half the number being shipped in Q4 alone.

In regards to Xbox One, I don't see the number being too different to last years 3.9m. Probably lower, but not much lower.

I would say that Xbox One shipments are somewhere around ~7.4m units by Q3 2014 and we'll see more than 3.5m units sold in Q4 taking the total to more than 10.9m+

I made this post a while back- http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=135616405&postcount=101

It's quite funny because I made the post saying ~7.35m and then Arstechnica posted exactly what I posted a few days later. http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/...th-at-least-65-percent-of-two-console-market/

Elandyll

Banned

Wa?

Spiderman 2 is (justly imo) considered one of the greatest superhero movies ever made alongside TDK, X2, First Class,Iron Man and The Avengers (I would now add The Winter Soldier to this list).

chithanh

Banned
I was wondering if maybe AMD received payment from Sony and MS for every APU shipped. That's would explain why they could confidently say in their own report, "Our customers have shipped X." If that's the arrangement, then it makes sense that AMD can and would talk about console sell in.
I have no insight in the AMD/Microsoft situation in particular, but licensing of silicon designs usually is done that way. For the Wii's Hollywood GPU, AMD knew the exact day when the 50 million mark was reached.
http://ir.amd.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=74093&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1306191

I vote we just ignore the AMD thing altogether unless we get further clarification
There is some room for interpretation, but we get a definite cap on 30 million sold-through from AMD's statement. I don't see why this should be disregarded.

I have no insight in the AMD/Microsoft situation in particular, but licensing of silicon designs usually is done that way. For the Wii's Hollywood GPU, AMD knew the exact day when the 50 million mark was reached.
http://ir.amd.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=74093&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1306191

There is some room for interpretation, but we get a definite cap on 30 million sold-through from AMD's statement. I don't see why this should be disregarded.

well yes, but we already know the Xbox One isn't at 11.5m sold to customers (unless we all got baited), so in effect it doesn't tell us much

Biker19

Banned
Price drops are for losers.

A market leader never lowers the price of their product until the sales for it starts slowing down a lot at that same price tag (that's Sony for this generation; last generation was Nintendo with the Wii).

Microsoft, did it a couple of times.

ZhugeEX

Banned

well yes, but we already know the Xbox One isn't at 11.5m sold to customers (unless we all got baited), so in effect it doesn't tell us much

It won't be 11.5m at all. That'd mean people outside the USA actually bought one and we all know that's not exactly happening.

But yes, as chithanh says, 30m sold through is the absolute maximum. The fact AMD says nearly though means we can't exactly get an accurate number for X1 from their statement.

rpg_fan

Did amd build the wii gpu? I know that's around when amd went fabless. If they were making the wii gpu, they'd certainly have more exact numbers. Licensing fees would more than likely be counted monthly, since they'd rely on numbers given from an outside fab.

chithanh

Banned
As was already pointed out, AMD's <30M statement was made half a month later than Sony's 18.5M announcement. By that time, Sony was likely past 19M. So absolute best case for Microsoft would be 10.9M.

Did amd build the wii gpu? I know that's around when amd went fabless. If they were making the wii gpu, they'd certainly have more exact numbers. Licensing fees would more than likely be counted monthly, since they'd rely on numbers given from an outside fab.
No, AMD inherited the custom GPU business from ATI when it bought them. ATI was always fabless and used TSMC for building GPUs.

EatMyFace

Banned
Interesting. Why a promo that lasts many months. Wonder what is the benefit of not calling it a price drop?
By calling it a promotion, you make people think that this is limited and they will (hopefully) rush out and buy one.

As for why it lasts months, I'm guessing to clear stock. I fully expect a new SKU around E3 in June.

It really isn't though. I mean, just look at how much bigger Spidey is WW. Batman doesn't even come close. Hell, the reason Sony and Disney have such a good relationship is because Sony sold back the merchandise rights back to Disney and that's where the mouse makes bank.

Spidey is absolutely the biggest super hero around. The movies just happen to be absolutely terrible. A Grade A Spidey movie would easily outsell a Grade A Batman film (and I'm more of a batman fan).
are you talking about just film? because that's what I've been doing. particularly starting with my response to Alo0oy. tdk did $900 million at the box office worldwide and dkr did $1 billion.
Maybe movies specifically otherwise it is not even close. Spiderman is the most popular super hero of all time. Marvel wants Spidey because bad Spidey movies could tarnish other areas that spidey is profitable in for Marvel such as Toys, Clothes etc..

never mind beaten..
I've clarified that film is where spidey is in decline. it's in film, and its reception, that are most telling of a comic book superhero's household and public reputation.
Just going off of Korea,Spiderman is significantly more popular than Batman among children and adolescents. Batman is more popular among adults (thanks to the Nolan films), but all the toys, notebooks, and clothing sales are going to Spiderman with Ironman, Cap, and Hulk rising in popularity.
maybe so. but we're talking overall popularity and I think batman's outweighs spiderman's.
I guess we'll have to wait and see. GAF (a portion of its members at least) loves Bloodborne sure, but we all know that the general gaming consumer's tastes don't always jive to that.

Truly mass market system sellers are the Destiny, AC, Call of Duty, GTA scale blockbusters. Souls games, while strong sellers for a niche genre, do not have the mass market appeal that the amount of message board discourse would suggest. Sure, maybe a few thousand, or even tens of thousands, of people will finally make the move to current gen with Bloodborne.

Seems to me like this is a similar situation to Bayonetta. Targets a niche audience, likely sells some systems, but not enough to move the market in a meaningful way (ie "system seller").

The core gaming audience that Bloodborne is targeted at likely has already transitioned to the new consoles.

I hope it does well though. We need more variety and more games.
Well, actually, I think demon souls and to a much greater extent, the dark souls series have propelled this genre into becoming somewhat mainstream. Dark souls 2 was a big hit. And bloodborne is going to add to this new found popularity.
Uh... didn't Amazing Spider-Man 2 pull in like 700-800 million at the box office? I keep seeing it being called a flop yet there doesn't seem to be be any real basis in reality for this.
It pulled in $700 mill, which considering its budget and spiderman's BO expectations, was less than flattering.

29y0cuw.jpg

EDIT: why aren't we allowed to use tinypic?

This thread all around the world and back...I like it.

Ps4 is ahead, by a lot...with the news from middle Eastern countries and China representing an interesting new market, I doubt that lead will shrink this gen. Only time will tell now how close the battle will be in the U.S, and if ps4 will get a large portion of exclusives from the region its the dominant console in.

Wa?

Spiderman 2 is (justly imo) considered one of the greatest superhero movies ever made alongside TDK, X2, First Class,Iron Man and The Avengers (I would now add The Winter Soldier to this list).

You aren't expecting any sane person to take exception to your opinion...are you? ;)

CozMick

Banned
Oh helllooooooooooooooo, ummm wtf is going on in this thread?

Sony lying about numbers, Microsoft @ 75,000,000 shipped, Spiderman 2 is the greatest.

So much bullshit in one thread.

farmerboy

I love how derailed this thread is.

^This

Look, I've just wondered into this thread after lurking time to time over the past month. And I had a hard weekend on the booze, for which I'm still paying the price. And all I see at the moment is some obscure numbers and talk of Spiderman and Batman.

And none of it is making any sense to this poor hungover soul AT ALL.

So please, just for me; Is Sony

a) annihilating the competition
b) destroying the competition
c) comfortably beating the competition
d) winning, but only just.
e) losing

Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom