• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New The Witcher 3 Gameplay

There was no radiosoty on very high, it was just color grading, which you could add at a 1 or 2 fps hit with a console command. The performance hit of very high was due to sun shafts and horribly unoptimized lod.

There was an Ultra setting, right? If so, then I mean that, if not I may just be remembering it all wrong.

tcrunch

My 3GB footage finished dling so I tried to grab a few gifs of stuff that hasn't been giffed yet. I swear the first one was because I was looking at the weird shadow on his chest.

dknlkb.gif

re: this 2nd one...the other bird in the bg seems to be starting the same animation as the one he hits, or he hit both of them?
rdpqyl.gif

unnqbu.gif

fatsry.gif

xauzmm.gif

And a few more of Geralt walking/running past scenery
http://a.pomf.se/hyrqjz.gif
http://a.pomf.se/ombwfo.gif
http://a.pomf.se/pzbhpw.gif
+ the whiff
http://a.pomf.se/pcuski.gif

Daverid

The water looks straight up bad.

Really? I thought it looked fantastic. Not GTAV quality, but it still looked great and I can't think of any other open world game with better looking water other than GTAV (AC: Black Flag maybe).

Even if you don't think it looks fantastic, much like the animations I think "straight up bad" comments are just outrageous.

TheAssist

Jesus fucking christ, why are there so many people bitching and complaining?

The game drips of atmosphere at every corner. I have never seen such busy small towns in a game. Personally I think there are worlds between this and DA:I. W3 feels like an actual world I want to explore and not just navigate through using my gps map without looking at the world (which never had that vast open feeling in DA).

The animations are also completely ok, I dont get it. Is it because he is moving so fast? Because thats just what witchers do, even in the cinematic trailers.
Voice acting is also good, feels authentic and less like a melo drama.

I'm not preordering games, but right now I cant see me not buying this game.

megatonante

Neo Member
What people complained about with AC Unity were the graphical glitches and poor performance. At its best, from what I hear, it still 'looked' like what was shown earlier... just with really poor performance. Even with that, people were still talking about it for months. Ubisoft found itself on 'fail of the year' lists thanks to this game and watch_dogs.

I don't think many people were really expecting heaven from Dark Souls 2 so I don't see you point.

Look, if the final game can look like these I will not complain. In any case the game still looks really good and like it will be a huge amount of fun to play. Just saying that devs should match what put out pre-release. Note that I am not saying they won't match it, just that if they don't it will be a disappointment.
acmnme.gif

w6cvjly.gif

I got completely baited by those gifs in the past. Seeing the "real thing", which is clearly downgraded from those gifs, is a bit sad.

Just look at the difference between the water then and the water now. LOL

Am I missing something? Do I need to get my eyes checked?

This looks better than UC4 as it currently stands AND its a massive open world RPG.

If this is Xbox One footage then color me impressed
shocked

Looks great, day 1 (probably on PS4).
I don't think it looks as impressive as UC4 if you disregard the scope. Lighting, modelling, vegetation, animations, all look a good deal better in UC4. Now if you include scope and the fantastic art, I can see why you might prefer it. I am just as impressed with this as UC 4. But graphically, it is pretty obvious to me. Technical glitches even look more evident here than in the UC4 footage.

zkorejo

Jesus fucking christ, why are there so many people bitching and complaining?

The game drips of atmosphere at every corner. I have never seen such busy small towns in a game. Personally I think there are worlds between this and DA:I. W3 feels like an actual world I want to explore and not just navigate through using my gps map without looking at the world (which never had that vast open feeling in DA).

The animations are also completely ok, I dont get it. Is it because he is moving so fast? Because thats just what witchers do, even in the cinematic trailers.
Voice acting is also good, feels authentic and less like a melo drama.

I'm not preordering games, but right now I cant see me not buying this game.

Because thats what majority of the GAF does with every game.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Will be interested to see if this game makes it to looking like the original traielrs.

Doubt it. But maybe.

One thing I am REALLY interested in is if the continue the tradition of the "Enhanced Editions", and if they will make it to consoles as an update like on PC, or a whole new Retail Edition...

Also, the "Enhanced Edition" could end up looking as good as the original trailers. Even if the vanilla game falls short.

thuGG_pl

Grimløck;149272142 said:
i ain't mad. you gonna act a bitch, i'm a call you a bitch, bitch. i don't even know why you bother posting links when i'm not clicking. PM me if you need anything. no need to derail this thread, bitch.

I act like a bitch? For showing you that you are one lazy fuck who can't type 3 words into google? Good one.

I act like a bitch? For showing you that you are one lazy fuck who can't type 3 words into google? Good one.
He asked when the game was coming out now. Of course anyone can google any question they have, but here on a discussion forum, we tend to discuss things. Instead of being a smart ass and posting a link to google, you could have answered the question or just not answered.

thuGG_pl

He asked when the game was coming out now. Of course anyone can google any question they have, but here on a discussion forum, we tend to discuss things. Instead of being a smart ass and posting a link to google, you could have answered the question or just not answered.

I could have, but I'm annoyed by people who don't even bother to find things out by themselves. Especially if the information is common and very easy to find. That kind of laziness is pissing me off. All in all, I don't think that giving a link to "let me google that for you" is worthy of being called a bitch a number of times. Usually it's perceived as a harmless joke.

As for this discussion, I'm pretty amazed by some people here:
- OMG POP IN!!! - seriously, people expect no pop in? In open world streaming game?
- OMG ANIMATIONS!! - it's a massive game it looks ok, you're overreacting.
- WORLD FEELS EMPTY/DEAD!! - this is just too much, it looks good, natural and believable, head and shoulders above DA:I or Skyrim.

fedexpeon

Banned
Oh boy...This looks like DA: I but with faster horse.
Heck, when I saw the open field on the horse, I was like wtf, am I watching a DA scene?
And the cave environment...yeah, boring just like DA design.
Good thing they delayed this game so I can forget about how awful DA: I was, and might give this game a chance.
I don't know if I should wait for a price drop because I am not feeling the hype after seeing the fetch/kill quests and combat system.

I don't know if I should wait for a price drop because I am not feeling the hype when seeing the fetch/kill quests and combat.

Looks like fairly standard Witcher side quests...I suppose a lot of people still haven't played them, but they tend to be structured decently.

Semper88

First thing i noticed is that Geralt sure skipped alot of leg days..

Overal looks pretty decent, wonder how the PS4 version will turn out.

valkyre

Do the previews say something about the performance of the game on consoles? Are we talking about smooth framerate or is it all over the place? I watched the gameplay and the framerate seemed shit, but that may very well be the way the video is encoded or something else.

So any idea on that front?

I could have, but I'm annoyed by people who don't even bother to find things out by themselves. Especially if the information is common and very easy to find. That kind of laziness is pissing me off. All in all, I don't think that giving a link to "let me google that for you" is worthy of being called a bitch a number of times. Usually it's perceived as a harmless joke..
Fair enough

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
First thing i noticed is that Gertalt sure skipped alot of leg days..

Overal looks pretty decent, wonder how the PS4 version will turn out.

I really don't like how big his upper body is W3, in the books Gerlat is not Batman-like/bodybuilder and is not huge like Witcher 3 model. they got him right in Witcher 1 and 2, there was no need to buff him.

RulkezX

Do the previews say something about the performance of the game on consoles? Are we talking about smooth framerate or is it all over the place? I watched the gameplay and the framerate seemed shit, but that may very well be the way the video is encoded or something else.

It's largely irrelevant how they perform 4.5 months out from release.

aravuus

As for this discussion, I'm pretty amazed by some people here:
- OMG POP IN!!! - seriously, people expect no pop in? In open world streaming game?
- OMG ANIMATIONS!! - it's a massive game it looks ok, you're overreacting.
- WORLD FEELS EMPTY/DEAD!! - this is just too much, it looks good, natural and believable, head and shoulders above DA:I or Skyrim.

Good job dismissing fair criticism lol. Well, maybe not the last one, but pop in and the animation quality kind of stand out since the game otherwise looks very good.

valkyre

I really don't like how big his upper body is W3, in the books Gerlat is not Batman-like/bodybuilder and is not huge like Witcher 3 model. they got him right in Witcher 1 and 2, there was no need to buff him.

Agreed the proportions of geralts body appear weird, but perhaps is the choice of clothing. Looks weird though.

Semper88

well.. neither do i and definitely not like this. But yea.. appears to sell better if the main character looks buffed and badass.

eastx

Here is my preview of the Xbox One version. I thought the frame rate was good and noticed no significant dips. Visually, it does have issues with clipping that I'm hoping they fix before release.

valkyre

It's largely irrelevant how they perform 4.5 months out from release.

I disagree with you. 4.5 months could sound a lot and indeed there is still time for further optimizations, but you get a somewhat good idea of how the game runs. If it is now running at 20 fps, dont expect 3 months of optimizations (because that is the development time left for the game since it has to go gold way before it hits the stores) to make it buttery smooth 30 fps.

GHG

Gold Member
I got completely baited by those gifs in the past. Seeing the "real thing", which is clearly downgraded from those gifs, is a bit sad.

If there aren't at least the options to make it look like that on the PC then yep, it was all done for parity reasons.

Acinixys

They probably shoot all promotional footage on a PC with 4 Titans, 64GB of RAM and a 10GHz i7

Then when you put it on your PC it looks like Duke Nukem 3D

Seanspeed

Banned
I disagree with you. 4.5 months could sound a lot and indeed there is still time for further optimizations, but you get a somewhat good idea of how the game runs. If it is now running at 20 fps, dont expect 3 months of optimizations (because that is the development time left for the game since it has to go gold way before it hits the stores) to make it buttery smooth 30 fps.
There's nothing stopping devs from continuing work on optimization all the way up to release date and beyond.

GHG

Gold Member
They probably shoot all promotional footage on a PC with 4 Titans, 64GB of RAM and a 10GHz i7

Then when you put it on your PC it looks like Duke Nukem 3D

I don't care what they shot it on, give it to us.

People who don't have the rigs to handle it can dial the settings down. But id like to be able to upgrade my PC at some point and return to this game in all its glory like I did with Crysis a few years back.

UVG RAVEN

Banned
Heck, when I saw the open field on the horse, I was like wtf, am I watching a DA scene?

Good thing they delayed this game so I can forget about how awful DA: I was, and might give this game a chance.
I don't know if I should wait for a price drop because I am not feeling the hype after seeing the fetch/kill quests and combat system.

Yeah, not falling for this shit again! I'll get the GOTY edition for $20 or less.

valkyre

There's nothing stopping devs from continuing work on optimization all the way up to release date and beyond.

You mean via day 1 patches. Sure, but I honestly dont think that the example I gave in my previous post could be remedied in 5 months. If the game runs like crap at the moment , then it can only get less crap.

I read previews that mention issues with the framerate on PS4. And I am looking to see how accurate those reports are and how much the framerate dips. Is it a lot, is it only minor? If it's a lot then that wont sound very optimistic to me.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
You mean via day 1 patches. Sure, but I honestly dont think that the example I gave in my previous post could be remedied in 5 months. If the game runs like crap at the moment , then it can only get less crap.

I read previews that mention issues with the framerate on PS4. And I am looking to see how accurate those reports are and how much the framerate dips. Is it a lot, is it only minor? If it's a lot then that wont sound very optimistic to me.

Which previews?

misho8723

Banned
So the problems with flat textures on walls - like those bricks are fixed

From todays Witcher official forum from Milzz, who is from CD Projekt RED:
Some one guy on the forum: 2. Some flat textures: Like many already said, that brick wall looks so flat, texture is really nicely done but it needs a bit of depth.
"Thought I'd let you know that one of our environment artists came in to work extra early today and tinkered a bit with all of the brick walls. I can thus proudly report the issue of the sub-par quality walls fixed."

So the problems with flat textures on walls - like those bricks are fixed

From todays Witcher official forum from Milzz, who is from CD Projekt RED:
Some one guy on the forum: 2. Some flat textures: Like many already said, that brick wall looks so flat, texture is really nicely done but it needs a bit of depth.
"Thought I'd let you know that one of our environment artists came in to work extra early today and tinkered a bit with all of the brick walls. I can thus proudly report the issue of the sub-par quality walls fixed."

yeah, they were using us for testing for sure. guys were e-mailing bugs back home as soon as they saw them in my playthrough. And they prodded us for anything they didn't see or other feedback like what we thought of the tutorial pacing.

patapuf

I'm not sure how you got any sense of how "fetch questy" the game is from that preview since you see nothing of the quest structure.

You play a witcher, killing monsters for money is kind of what he does.

What matters is if you simply get a marker or if the quests are more elaborate/invovle a little bit of resarch (like they were in the previous games) ect.

Rotzetool

Banned

In a german preview (I think from gamestar but I'm not entirely sure) they said it ran pretty smooth with a little tearing on both consoles. The xbox version had some framedips, but the developer thinks he can fix both, framedips and tearing till release.

Also the Ultra settings were still disabled on PC because they are still optimizing it. They are aiming to get smooth gameplay from the machines they used in the preview on ultra.
PC Specs from the Preview:
i7-4790
ASRock Z97
8GB Ram
GTX980 4GB Vram

misho8723

Banned
yeah, they were using us for testing for sure. guys were e-mailing bugs back home as soon as they saw them in my playthrough. And they prodded us for anything they didn't see or other feedback like what we thought of the tutorial pacing.

Oh, hi Dan.. I really love the videos where you're talking about the Witcher.. so you have read the books, right? What do you think about them?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Blood, I need you to corroborate whats GameStar saw.

Is the foliage moving in the wind better than anything you've ever seen? Next-gen as fuck foliage moving in the wind is what I crave.

Blood, I need you to corroborate whats GameStar saw.

Is the foliage moving in the wind better than anything you've ever seen? Next-gen as fuck foliage moving in the wind is what I crave.

dude, I've been telling you guys about the wind since the behind closed doors at E3 two years ago

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
dude, I've been telling you guys about the wind since the behind closed doors at E3 two years ago
l-Hallelujah.jpg

Thanks, I put more weight into the features that survive until launch and 2 months before going gold it's now more certain to survive!

Oh, hi Dan.. I really love the videos where you're talking about the Witcher.. so you have read the books, right? What do you think about them?

I'm about half-way through the fourth book. Definitely enjoy them, and knowing what's going on better has definitely made me go nuts over some of the character reveals in trailers over the past year.

Top Bottom