• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X - Twitter & Website updates thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exentryk

2/3 areas in Witcher 3 are 136.25 square km. The last area may take it to 200 square km perhaps. Xenoblade X still on top. Plus Xenoblade X has all that vertical exploration too.

Lusankya

That's not how square kilometres work. 400km^2 = 20km x 20km.

Indeed. Germany and Japan each have an area of around 400,000 km² (as a square that's roughly 632km x 632km).

But the world of XenobladeX is still larger than Grenada or Malta. ;)

wrowa

You can't quite compare the size of Xenoblade X's map to other games, since walking speed plays an important role too. The mechs in X are likely very fast, while the fastest things in your average medieval RPG are horses. The map being bigger doesn't necessarily mean that the map will also feel bigger.

Also, a 4 player party in a Takahashi game? I'm mindblown. :p From the top of my head I can't remember if he ever directed a game that didn't have a party limit of 3 before.

4 player party, you control 1 and AI controls the rest.

Aw .. my hope for an online-koop sinks .. :/

Yep, it's the one thing we need to know now.

This doesn't say much, he is basically saying that the battle system is the same as Xenoblade Chronicles, with the only addition that you have 4 party member instead of 3.
They are simply still holdin details about the online functions for the nintendo direct.

Some more details according to Shinobi (excluding ones already shared by Raven777):

Characters
Nagi (Takayuki Sugou)
-Former Captain of the White Whale and current Military Chief in the Autonomous Government of New Los Angeles.

Guin (Yuichi Nakamura)
-Worked in the same division as Elma and Irina on Earth. Was their subordinate.

Player Avatars
-Many options for customization (sex, face type, skin colour, hair style, eyes, make-up, voice, etc).
-Preset designs done by Kunihiko Tanaka
-Some famous voice actors providing their voice as options for the avatar, will be announced on the Xenoblade homepage later.

GamePad
-Will show character location, question locations
-Warping to previously visited areas

-One of the intended meanings of 'X[Cross]' relates to distant players playing together.
-Not a standard online game, more 'loosely connected'

Music
-About 90 songs in the game. Sawano involved in all of them.

Battles
-Faster paced, more action-y than Xenobalde's were.
-Differentiates close and distant attacks.
-No healers.
-Healing done with new system called 'Soul Voice'.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Player Avatars
-Many options for customization (sex, face type, skin colour, hair style, eyes, make-up, voice, etc).
-Some famous voices actors providing their voice as options for the avatar, will be announced on the Xenoblade homepage later.

So it's not a mute protagonist after all.

ugoo18

Some more details according to Shinobi (excluding ones already shared by Raven777):

Characters
Nagi (Takayuki Sugou)
-Former Captain of the White Whale and current Millitary Cheif in the Autonomous Government of New Los Angeles.

Guin (Yuichi Nakamura)
-Worked in the same division as Elma and Irina on Earth. Was their subordinate.

Player Avatars
-Some famous voices actors providing their voice as options for the avatar, will be announced on the Xenoblade homepage later.

GamePad
-Will show character location, question locations
-Warping to previously visited areas

-One of the intended meanings of 'X[Cross]' relates to distant players playing together.

Music
-About 90 songs in the game. Sawano involved in all of them.

Battles
-No healers.

So the player's character isn't a mute?

Keasar

I don't get "loosely connected" and "not standard online game".

People float in and out of your world like Journey or something?

I think we already knew that at least the battle cries were voiced. The big question is if the avatar will talk in any cutscene.

Yeah, we knew you could select a voice for your avatar from E3. I'm going to guess it's going to mostly be battle cries and random grunting. I mean, even Link isn't technically mute, he just never says anything.

Battles
-No healers.
Xenoblade's combat was awful, making it actiony probably will help since an action combat can get away with being a bit shallow, unlike the shallow system from XB1. Differentiate range is cool though, as long as AI isnt braindead, or if I can swap characters at will.

-Xenoblade was traditional RPG, whereas XenobladeX is an open world RPG. Xenoblade was linear despite having big world. XenobladeX you will get quests from different places and have more freedom.
-Mira is 400km^2 which is 5 times Xenoblade. So there is Dolls which can fly. Also you can check your location via gamepad
-4 player party, you control 1 and AI controls the rest.
none of this sounds good to me...Xenoblades mindless questing sounds like its going to be ramped up to a new level of terrible...There is the answer about swapping characters in battle too it seems...

I really wanted to like xenoblade, because of my love of Xenosaga, but the shallow combat and horrible questing dragged it down. Im hoping Xenoblade X is amazing, but this new info is really making me fearful

Really happy about the 4-player party if true. Though why hasn't that be shown in any trailer considering there have been 3 characters revealed for the party already? Maybe the fourth slot is for guest party members?

There was one poster who was only interested in the game if it had 4-person parties. He/she should be pretty happy.

What I like about 4 player-parties is simply being able to use more characters as once. Hope they keep the total party members aside from the protagonist at max 6.

Firemind

-Mira is 400km^2 which is 5 times Xenoblade.
0510_pcs7z.gif

Xenoblade was traditional RPG, whereas XenobladeX is an open world RPG. Xenoblade was linear despite having big world. XenobladeX you will get quests from different places and have more freedom.

I really don't want to say: "so it's like Skyrim with Mecha", but honestly that's kind of what I'm getting from this.

The story will probably still be a big part of the game, but I imagine that you'll have a lot of the world to explore from the start, and that you may not necessarily need to progress through the story as much just to simply reach new locations.

-Xenoblade was traditional RPG, whereas XenobladeX is an open world RPG. Xenoblade was linear despite having big world. XenobladeX you will get quests from different places and have more freedom.
WTF I don't even... I think I'll take a faster shipping for this game even though I'll more than likely end up with import taxes (I want a physical disk for this game so I'll pass on the eShop version)

At least the aliens look great (different character designer IIRC?) and of course the world looks amazing, which is the most important thing anyways.

Yeah, I think they mentioned something like each alien species has it's own unique designer, to make them all entirely different. They also mentioned wanting to flesh out the individual cultures of each alien species... so much depth. It's killing me.

I kind of agree that the faces look somewhat flat and awkward. Especially Lyn's. We'll see how it ends up in game.

Do we have any good comparisons to current gen open world games? I'd love to see scale comparisons cause that is really big.

Skyrim was estimated to be around 37.1km^2 -(http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/39338/how-large-is-skyrim)

Xenoblade Chronicles was placed somewhere between 30-35 km^2 of explorable area. If we multiply by 5 we get around 175km^2. It's not clear if Xenoblade X is around 5X (which they said in the scan) compared to earlier when they said MORE than 5X larger... But there is something off about 400km^2. Not sure if we can take that at face value, or if they're measuring differently somehow (or measuring it relative to the total size of Bionis and Mechonis, which were together about the size of Japan [Surface area presumably?] (but the explorable area in the game is only a fraction of that of course).

I'm rambling a bit, but expect somewhere around 5 times the size of Skyrim for a fair comparison imo. There are definitely bigger games out there. If the rest of the world is as dense as Primordial Wilderness is, then we're in for a huge, and well designed world down to the details.

aravuus

But there is something off about 400km^2. Not sure if we can take that at face value

Of course we can't, it's not gonna be 400km^2 of explorable ground. There's no doubt the world's gonna be massive though, and I honestly can't wait. I'm wishing so hard it has lots of secret areas and chests and loot and shit to find, I LOVE that kind of stuff

reminds me of a more tame version of the Gods Eater weapons actually...

I like it (I also wish they would post the 2D art along in the website).

I know I may be asking for too much but... can I have a translation of their profile? So I can add the info in the OP. There's some additional info, apparently.

Of course :D

Nagi (Takayuki Sugou)
Former captain of the Interstellar Emigration Spaceship - 'White Whale'.
Currently the Military Chief of the Autonomous Government of NLA.
He's working his hardest on day-to-day government tasks to ensure the survival of the people living on Mira.

Guin (Yuichi Nakamura)
Member of the mercenary 'B.L.A.D.E.' group.
On Earth, he was a member of the Unified Government's Special Vehicle Operations Corps (known as the 'Doll Corps'), where Elma and Irina were also his superiors.
While, in his youthful ways, he'll accidentally end up saying the wrong thing, he has a sincere personality and a deep admiration and affection for Irina.

On another note, I realised that I had a brain fart the other day and translated it as 'General Government', but really it should probably be 'Unified Government', so if you want to edit that L~A in the OP, that's probably better.

L~A

Edit; thanks a bunch :D

New tweets:

[川畑]XenobladeXはWii Uのディスク容量をギリギリまで使っています。もう、本当にギッチギチです(一時期は1枚に収まらないんじゃないかという懸念すらあったくらいです)。

https://twitter.com/XenobladeJP/status/560748931148046336

広大なシームレスマップをバンバン読み込む割には快適に遊べる(モノリスのプログラマー陣が相当頑張ってくれました)のですが、それを更に上回る仕組みを任天堂さんが用意してくれました。

https://twitter.com/XenobladeJP/status/560749006456774657

詳しくはおいおい公式サイトなどで発表されると思いますが、パッケージ版のご購入を検討されている方にはこの仕組みを活用されることを開発会社としてお薦めしておきたいです。

https://twitter.com/XenobladeJP/status/560749147280523264

Zenaku

WTF I don't even... I think I'll take a faster shipping for this game even though I'll more than likely end up with import taxes (I want a physical disk for this game so I'll pass on the eShop version)

I'll be getting both versions. The eShop version being pre-loadable just makes it irresistible, along with faster loading of course. The physical copy will sit nicely on my shelf. Might even get two copies just to keep one sealed; a first for me.

[Kawabata] Xenoblade Chronicles X is using up most of the space on the Wii U disk. It's really, really close to the storage limit. (To the point that at one stage we were considering using more than one disk for the game). To enjoy playing, the enormous seamless map must load quickly (which was achieved through the hard work of our programming division), but we had help from Nintendo proper implementing a further improvement to what we had. I believe we're going to reveal the details of that on the official page in the future, but to people considering purchasing the packaged version of the game, as one of the game's developers, I highly recommend you make use of this improvement.

Gonna bet money on some sort of install from the disc being implemented.

wrowa

Yeah, this definitely sounds like the game will be partially installed to a hard drive. That's quite interesting, actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom